Start by marking “Farewell to God: My Reasons for Rejecting the Christian Faith” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Farewell to God: My Re...

Charles Templeton

Farewell to God: My Reasons for Rejecting the Christian Faith

For more than twenty years, Charles Templeton was a major figure in the church in Canada and the United States. During the 1950s, he and Billy Graham were the two most successful exponents of mass evangelism in North America. Templeton spoke nightly to stadium crowds of up to thirty thousand people.

However, increasing doubts about the validity of the Old Testament and the
Published January 14th 2011 by McClelland & Stewart (first published October 12th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Farewell to God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farewell to God

C.
Before Billy Graham there was Charles Templeton!
Amazing gently told account of the former associate and lifelong friend of evangelist Billy Graham.His honesty is touching,and that his story is told without being in 'attack mode'.

As someone who was an evangelical Christian for decades and now a nonbeliever,I rank this book right up there with my new non-religious favorites which have taken the place of all my Christian/religious nonfiction books.

What I find especially amazing is how books such as
Darrel
Aug 04, 2013 Darrel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this many years ago and can say that it was a key part of my own journey. It is a courageous work and one that touches both the emotional and intellectual components of faith and doubt. I put it in one of the top five books on the subject.
Jeremy Zerbe
My father is always buying religious literature, littering our bathroom and dining room with it, trying to get me to read it, to just "understand where he's coming from." So I picked up Charles Templeton's Farewell to God in retaliation, more for him than for me. I was hoping to pass it along to him after I finished it, to finally see "where I was coming from." Of course, my dad isn't much of a reader, and is already steeped in his own library of works, so it might be a while until he gets aroun ...more
Steve
Apr 09, 2009 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good first book to recommend to those beginning to question their
religious beliefs. From the perspective of one time evangelist Charles Templeton who doesn't stive to hit the reader over the head with his or her superstitions. Rather he uses biblical inconsistencies and the contradictions seen in everyday life to force the reader to challenge their beliefs.
Chris
Apr 05, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I can say is I don't see how a believer could read this and have their faith intact afterwards. A man who studied the Bible inside and out takes it to task in ways that even Dawkins can't do.

Paul Buller
Sep 01, 2013 Paul Buller rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Paul by: Nobody
The first time I read this book it shook my faith. It seemed to raise so many devastating critiques and questions about Christianity that it was hard to imagine the mere possibility that there could be answers. So I read it again. As I read it a second time I carefully analyzed exactly what he was (and was not) saying, his precise lines of argument, what exact evidence he was drawing on, etc.

After reading it a second time my faith was far less shaken. Like so many anti-Theists these days he majo
Jason
Jan 11, 2011 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book repeats a lot of the standard arguments against Christianity. The book is much better than Dawkin's book The God Delusion (which was nothing but a nonsensical rant). I especially found the discussion about Billy Graham and the early days of his crusades interesting. The one part of the book I found a little hard to believe was Templeton revealing how after years of being a pastor and an evangelist, he suddenly stumbled upon distrubing questions like "why does God allow suffering" and " ...more
Bryan
Aug 28, 2011 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, memoir, 2011
'If the existence of God is not demonstrable except by faith, and if there is no hard evidence that the universe was created by a First Cause, then agnosticism is the only rational position.' (Kindle Highlight Loc. 343-44)
Denise
Jul 06, 2013 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've ever read. Everything he said made sense, and it only solidified my stance in agnosticism.
John Hanson
Dated and cursory, yet if you want a broad coverage of belief-in-gods issues, this is a great start. It's more Templeton's reasons for walking away from faith rather than an earnest argument for others to; though he repeats over again rhetorical questions such as, "How could a loving god do that?"

I found his discussion if Jesus' birth, death, and resurrection interesting, as well as the creation stories. He shows that the multiple versions conflict and therefore cannot be true: there are two cre
Paula Dembeck
From the times of his late teens, Charles Templeton dedicated himself to the ministry. He was a popular public figure, often joining Billy Graham on large stages in auditoriums and preaching to crowds of thousands. But in 1957, he rejected his faith and resigned from the ministry. This is his thoughtful and at times sad account of the personal journey that led him to reject the foundations on which he had built his beliefs. It was with deep regret that he found they could no longer sustain him.

T
Jocelyn
Jan 30, 2016 Jocelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Farewell To God is well written and highly readable, a fair and insightful argument for intelligent thinkers who want to hold on to all that is good in our Christian heritage while acknowledging the obstacles to unquestioning belief.
Templeton observes that: "The laws of life that affect our daily lives are not revealed truths communicated by a deity on a smoking mountain or delivered through some special compact into the hands of priests or rabbis or members of the clergy; they lie at the heart
Nancy
Jun 14, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear, easy to read. Not rude, belligerent, or degrading. This should be required reading for every Christian or those thinking of converting. This should be in hotel nightstands next to the Gideon bible. It clearly points out all the flaws, inconsistent stories, inconsistent morals (and lack thereof), and other holes and not so tidy plot points in the Christian religion focusing primarily on the Bible, the base of the religion.

It also drives home a pretty good point about "cultural Christians"
Craig Evans
Oct 12, 2013 Craig Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosopy
Unlike some of the "New Atheists", Mr.Templeton is displays in his memoir his reasons for leaving religion, and is able to authentically meet believers on their own playing field then shred that field and dig holes in the solid footing of that belief. 3 stars for content. 5 for points made.
Pat
Oct 03, 2009 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honest and plainspoken account of uncomplicated doubt and alienation from contemporary Christianity. Wouldn't convince me to leave the church, but a good book for understanding how some people might come to the conclusion that they should.
Judy
Jan 08, 2011 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read!!! Templeton was a major figure in the church in Canada. He speaks about his increasing doubt about the validity of the teachings of the Christian church.
columbialion
Jan 06, 2010 columbialion rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to columbialion by: Self
A logical reasonable argument for the rejection of corporate religion.
Michael
Aug 16, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
one of the best books i've ever read in my life, made me seriously start question the idea of "fiath in god"
Jeffrey Thiessen
A really good book for anyone making the jump into agnosticism. Light on atheist material, but poses some obvious fallacies involved with Christian dogma.
Dave Cotton
May 13, 2013 Dave Cotton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
eye opening!
Michelle L
Dec 09, 2013 Michelle L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED it! Loved his approach and open-mindedness, and respect towards Christians at the same time. This is the kind of book I love to share with my Christian friends. :)
Aynsley
Aynsley rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2013
J.d.williams
J.d.williams rated it it was ok
Nov 23, 2013
Tiago Rocha
Tiago Rocha rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Nathan Walke
Nathan Walke rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
Peter Jacobsson
Peter Jacobsson rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2012
Tanya
Tanya rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2010
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2013
Tara
Tara rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2008
  • The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality
  • God Hates You, Hate Him Back: Making Sense of the Bible
  • Good Without God: What a Billion Nonreligious People Do Believe
  • The Complete Heretic's Guide to Western Religion Book One: The Mormons
  • Doubting Jesus' Resurrection: What Happened in the Black Box?
  • Patience With God: Faith for People Who Don't Like Religion (or Atheism)
  • The Jesus Puzzle: Did Christianity Begin with a Mythical Christ? Challenging the Existence of an Historical Jesus
  • God and the Folly of Faith: The Incompatibility of Science and Religion
  • Why We Believe in God(s): A Concise Guide to the Science of Faith
  • 50 Reasons People Give for Believing in a God
  • The Case Against The Case for Christ
  • Nonbeliever Nation: The Rise of Secular Americans
  • The Good Atheist: Living a Purpose-Filled Life Without God
  • Why I Believed

“If God's love encompasses the whole world and if everyone who does not believe in him will perish, then surely this question needs to be asked: When, after two thousand years, does God's plan kick in for the billion people he 'so loves' in China? Or for the 840 million in India? Or the millions in Japan, Afghanistan, Siberia, Egypt, Burma ·.. and on and on?

Why would a God who 'so loved the world' reveal his message only to a tiny minority of the people on earth, leaving the majority in ignorance? Is it possible to believe that the Father of all Mankind would select as his Chosen People a small Middle Eastern nation, Israel, reveal His will exclusively to them, fight alongside them in their battles to survive, and only after their failure to reach out to any other group, update His plan for the world's salvation by sending His 'only begotten son,' not to the world but, once again, exclusively to Israel?”
5 likes
“Jesus reserved his harshest judgement for those who professed to be righteous but failed to feed the hungry, clothe the poor, visit the sick and imprisoned. “Depart from me, you accursed!” he thundered.” 1 likes