Start by marking “Farewell to God: My Reasons for Rejecting the Christian Faith” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Farewell to God: My Re...

Charles Templeton

Farewell to God: My Reasons for Rejecting the Christian Faith

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  18 reviews
For more than twenty years, Charles Templeton was a major figure in the church in Canada and the United States. During the 1950s, he and Billy Graham were the two most successful exponents of mass evangelism in North America. Templeton spoke nightly to stadium crowds of up to thirty thousand people.

However, increasing doubts about the validity of the Old Testament and the
Published January 14th 2011 by McClelland & Stewart (first published October 12th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Farewell to God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farewell to God

C.
Before Billy Graham there was Charles Templeton!
Amazing gently told account of the former associate and lifelong friend of evangelist Billy Graham.His honesty is touching,and that his story is told without being in 'attack mode'.

As someone who was an evangelical Christian for decades and now a nonbeliever,I rank this book right up there with my new non-religious favorites which have taken the place of all my Christian/religious nonfiction books.

What I find especially amazing is how books such as
Darrel
I read this many years ago and can say that it was a key part of my own journey. It is a courageous work and one that touches both the emotional and intellectual components of faith and doubt. I put it in one of the top five books on the subject.
Steve
A good first book to recommend to those beginning to question their
religious beliefs. From the perspective of one time evangelist Charles Templeton who doesn't stive to hit the reader over the head with his or her superstitions. Rather he uses biblical inconsistencies and the contradictions seen in everyday life to force the reader to challenge their beliefs.
Chris
All I can say is I don't see how a believer could read this and have their faith intact afterwards. A man who studied the Bible inside and out takes it to task in ways that even Dawkins can't do.

Jeremy Zerbe
My father is always buying religious literature, littering our bathroom and dining room with it, trying to get me to read it, to just "understand where he's coming from." So I picked up Charles Templeton's Farewell to God in retaliation, more for him than for me. I was hoping to pass it along to him after I finished it, to finally see "where I was coming from." Of course, my dad isn't much of a reader, and is already steeped in his own library of works, so it might be a while until he gets aroun ...more
Paul Buller
Sep 01, 2013 Paul Buller rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Paul by: Nobody
The first time I read this book it shook my faith. It seemed to raise so many devastating critiques and questions about Christianity that it was hard to imagine the mere possibility that there could be answers. So I read it again. As I read it a second time I carefully analyzed exactly what he was (and was not) saying, his precise lines of argument, what exact evidence he was drawing on, etc.

After reading it a second time my faith was far less shaken. Like so many anti-Theists these days he majo
Jason
This book repeats a lot of the standard arguments against Christianity. The book is much better than Dawkin's book The God Delusion (which was nothing but a nonsensical rant). I especially found the discussion about Billy Graham and the early days of his crusades interesting. The one part of the book I found a little hard to believe was Templeton revealing how after years of being a pastor and an evangelist, he suddenly stumbled upon distrubing questions like "why does God allow suffering" and " ...more
Bryan
'If the existence of God is not demonstrable except by faith, and if there is no hard evidence that the universe was created by a First Cause, then agnosticism is the only rational position.' (Kindle Highlight Loc. 343-44)
Denise
One of the best books I've ever read. Everything he said made sense, and it only solidified my stance in agnosticism.
Nancy
Clear, easy to read. Not rude, belligerent, or degrading. This should be required reading for every Christian or those thinking of converting. This should be in hotel nightstands next to the Gideon bible. It clearly points out all the flaws, inconsistent stories, inconsistent morals (and lack thereof), and other holes and not so tidy plot points in the Christian religion focusing primarily on the Bible, the base of the religion.

It also drives home a pretty good point about "cultural Christians"
Craig Evans
Unlike some of the "New Atheists", Mr.Templeton is displays in his memoir his reasons for leaving religion, and is able to authentically meet believers on their own playing field then shred that field and dig holes in the solid footing of that belief. 3 stars for content. 5 for points made.
Pat
Honest and plainspoken account of uncomplicated doubt and alienation from contemporary Christianity. Wouldn't convince me to leave the church, but a good book for understanding how some people might come to the conclusion that they should.
Jkm826
Easy read!!! Templeton was a major figure in the church in Canada. He speaks about his increasing doubt about the validity of the teachings of the Christian church.
Bea
LOVED it! Loved his approach and open-mindedness, and respect towards Christians at the same time. This is the kind of book I love to share with my Christian friends. :)
Jeffrey Thiessen
A really good book for anyone making the jump into agnosticism. Light on atheist material, but poses some obvious fallacies involved with Christian dogma.
Michael
one of the best books i've ever read in my life, made me seriously start question the idea of "fiath in god"
columbialion
Dec 19, 2014 columbialion rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to columbialion by: Self
A logical reasonable argument for the rejection of corporate religion.
Tommy Cummings
Tommy Cummings marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
'Prilly Tambajong
'Prilly Tambajong marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Cherise
Cherise marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Azolla
Azolla marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Jocelyn Rogers
Jocelyn Rogers marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Jocelyn Rogers
Jocelyn Rogers marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Andrew Nedelchev
Andrew Nedelchev marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Kim Cunningham
Kim Cunningham marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Josue Cubero
Josue Cubero marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Divinity of Doubt: The God Question
  • Nothing: Something to Believe in
  • God Hates You, Hate Him Back: Making Sense of the Bible (Revised International Edition)
  • Doubting Jesus' Resurrection: What Happened in the Black Box?
  • Between Noon & Three: Romance, Law & the Outrage of Grace
  • God and the Folly of Faith: The Incompatibility of Science and Religion
  • Good Without God: What a Billion Nonreligious People Do Believe
  • Patience With God: Faith for People Who Don't Like Religion (or Atheism)
  • My Husband Betty: Love, Sex, and Life with a Crossdresser
  • 50 Reasons People Give for Believing in a God
  • The Christian Delusion: Why Faith Fails
  • The Jesus Puzzle: Did Christianity Begin with a Mythical Christ? Challenging the Existence of an Historical Jesus
  • Talk Dirty to Me
  • Why Are You Atheists So Angry? 99 Things That Piss Off the Godless
  • The Case Against The Case for Christ
  • Nonbeliever Nation: The Rise of Secular Americans
  • The Atheist's Introduction to the New Testament: How the Bible Undermines the Basic Teachings of Christianity
  • The Good Atheist: Living a Purpose-Filled Life Without God
Act of God Queens Secret Jesus A foolproof way to-- end back attacks El Arte de Triunfar

“If God's love encompasses the whole world and if everyone who does not believe in him will perish, then surely this question needs to be asked: When, after two thousand years, does God's plan kick in for the billion people he 'so loves' in China? Or for the 840 million in India? Or the millions in Japan, Afghanistan, Siberia, Egypt, Burma ·.. and on and on?

Why would a God who 'so loved the world' reveal his message only to a tiny minority of the people on earth, leaving the majority in ignorance? Is it possible to believe that the Father of all Mankind would select as his Chosen People a small Middle Eastern nation, Israel, reveal His will exclusively to them, fight alongside them in their battles to survive, and only after their failure to reach out to any other group, update His plan for the world's salvation by sending His 'only begotten son,' not to the world but, once again, exclusively to Israel?”
4 likes
“Modern television evangelists are mostly ignorant men with closed minds who have glimpsed the incredible reach of television – even its political influence – and spend a sizable part of their air time pleading for money.” 0 likes