Start by marking “Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret” as Want to Read:
Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret

Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret (Heidi Heckelbeck #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  526 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
Introducing Heidi Heckelbeck—a brand-new young chapter-book series with witchy whimsy!

Now readers between the ages of five and seven can read chapter books tailor-made for a younger level of reading comprehension. Heavily illustrated with large type, Little Simon's young chapter books let young readers feel like they are reading a “grown-up” format with subject, text, and
Published January 3rd 2012 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret

Dinosaurs Before Dark by Mary Pope OsborneHeidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret by Wanda CovenIvy and Bean by Annie BarrowsJunie B. Jones Collection by Barbara ParkThe Hidden Stairs and the Magic Carpet by Tony Abbott
Series for K-2
2nd out of 9 books — 4 voters
The Witch-Child by Imogen ChichesterThe Witch Family by Eleanor EstesPoor Little Witch Girl by Marie DesplechinWitch at the Door by Holly WarrinerLittle Witch by Anna Elizabeth Bennett
Kid Witches
34th out of 41 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Emilie
Sep 24, 2013 Emilie rated it it was amazing
My oldest daughter has really struggled with reading. Her struggles started in 1st grade. Because of this her reading level stayed at a "1" all last year during second grade as well. The worst part about this was finding books at her level that weren't about frogs and teddy bears. She is a typical 8 year old and loves girly things. I searched high and low for books at the correct level with topics that would interest her. We tried and failed many series and beginning chapter books.

Finally, I fou
Laura the Highland Hussy
Jun 29, 2013 Laura the Highland Hussy rated it it was amazing
My daughter's review on her blog KK's Books & Reviews

This is a really good book for a chapter book. I read it all in one night. Heidi is a witch, but I didn't know she was a witch, and I thought my mom was making it up. But she really is a witch!

She had to keep it a secret and I think I really want to try the spell, but I don't have a medallion or the eye of a gingerbread man.

Heidi is homeschooled and when she has to go to a normal school she is scared and doesn't have any friends. She makes
Meredith
Mar 30, 2012 Meredith rated it it was ok
This book pissed me off, and I'll tell you why:

The description on this book says it's about a girl who is a witch. This is not a book about a girl who is a witch. This is a book about a girl having the most mundane, generic school day ever. How boring is that? She pulls out a spell book on the LAST PAGE. Lame-o. Lots of kids aren't going to make it that far, since the book doesn't really deliver.
Michele Knott
This is a great new series for young girls. It has easy to read chapters, with pictures on almost every page.
In this first book of the series we meet Heidi and her family. Heidi has a secret, which we don't find out until the end, and it is a cliffhanger once you get to it! Heidi and her younger brother, Henry, are about to go to school for the first time since they have been homeschooled. Heidi is about to enter the second grade and Henry is about to start kindergarten. While Henry is excited a
Jasmine Olivia
Jan 02, 2015 Jasmine Olivia rated it it was amazing
Jasmine finished her 1st chapter book of the new year in TWO days! GoOOoOOoooo Jasmine!!!! <3
Brenda
Sep 07, 2013 Brenda rated it liked it
Heidi wakes up in a grouchy, grumpy gloomy mood. After being homeschooled with her younger brother, her mother decides it's time for Heidi to start second grade in the public school. Heidi isn't very happy about the new arrangement, even her favorite outfit of black jean skirt with striped black-and-white- striped tights isn't enough to cheer her up. To make things worse, on Heidi's first day she gets picked on by meanie Melanie. What's a girl to do? Heidi decides it's time to pull out her speci ...more
Morgan
Feb 04, 2013 Morgan rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
I'm not a big fan of these. I understand that starting at a school is hard but Heidi was incredibly negative, there was no hope or optimism to be found.
AND it ends in the middle of the story. I can understand cliffhangers in books for older kids and teens but I really feel that this will leave the younger ones without that feeling of accomplishment they need to get when they finish a book. Make them like your book so much they want to read the next one, not because you stopped in the middle of
Ms. B
Aug 13, 2015 Ms. B rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, series, magic, 2015
First book in the Heidi Heckelbeck series. Heidi's first day of second grade might be the worst first day ever. Right away, Heidi is dealing with mean girl, Melanie who appears to have the upper hand in all situaions. It appears Heidi is starting mid-school year as the class is practicing for a play, The Wizard of Oz. Previous to this story, Heidi and her younger brother have been homeschooled. By the end of the story, she has come up with a solution to her problem., but readers will have to wai ...more
Holly Letson
I read book #7 of this series ( Heidi Heckelbeck Is Ready to Dance! ) awhile back in Alabama. So, when I saw most of the books on the shelf up here at the North Spokane Library, I knew I had to check them out and read them. It's a fun series, but not extraordinary. I'd give Book #1 a rating of 3.25*.

Heidi is a spoiled little brat that has been-a-being homeschooled by her mother. She is very used to this, and throws a fit, when she is enrolled into school. Her brother, Henry, however, enjoys sc
Wendy
Jun 07, 2013 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-eliza
Eliza loved this story. I read it outloud to her and a visiting cousin. It is a chapter book but has a picture nearly every page. I was not expecting what the secret was at the end and am wondering where the author is going with it. Eliza wants to read more of these.
Lynn
Sep 20, 2015 Lynn rated it liked it
Story moves quickly, this, the short chapters and the large font with lots of space between lines will help make this accessible for transitional readers. Frequent pen & ink sketches provide also help spread out the text.
Details about the chipped paint on the cubby, chair with rocking legs, etc. are negative, adding to the glooming tone. We are left wondering if she really is a witch!
Although Heidi says this is the first day of school, the other students & teachers seem to act that they'
Amanda Harris
Jul 18, 2013 Amanda Harris rated it really liked it
Heidi and her brother have always been homeschooled. Now they are going to a traditional school and Heidi isn't very happy about it. Heidi is starting 2nd grade and her brother, Henry, is going into Kindergarten. On the first day of 2nd grade, Heidi meets a super mean girl, Melanie, and never fully recovers from her negative attitude the rest of the day. She does meet a nice friend and survives the day, but she never really perks up until the end of the book when she pulls out a book of "spells" ...more
Jen B.
Oct 12, 2013 Jen B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-books
I was SO excited the whole time I read this book! Finally, a book about a NORMAL girl, with no ridiculous quirks. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a few of the quirky girls, but I feel they have taken over and left nothing for our normal girls to read! I enjoyed this so much that I read it in two sittings, which is NOT my norm.

I loved the way Heidi lived out the emotions of being the new girl in school, the target of a bully, and the hope for a new friend to a sweet classmate. I loved her relationsh
Ann
Aug 09, 2013 Ann rated it really liked it
Heidi Heckelbeck will be starting second grade at Brewster Elementary School. However, she is definitely not excited about school at all! In fact, she has NEVER been to school! Heidi and her younger brother, Henry, have been homeschooled by their mother. So, Heidi is very nervous about her first day at a real school. As she sits at her very own desk, in her second grade classroom, Heidi notices a girl beside her making mean faces. Miss Melanie Maplethorpe (aka Meanie Melanie)! Heidi tries to be ...more
Claire
Feb 03, 2015 Claire rated it liked it
That makes no sense! How come they didnt name the book, "Heidi Heckelbeck Goes To School" ? The very last page of the very last chapter it says that she has a secret. But still, it was a good book. I have read every book in this series besides 2 because I just finished 1. And now I have to read 2 because it continues on to 2. AND THAT IS THE ONLY BOOK IN THE SERIES THAT IS NOT AT MY LIBRARY! They could have made it a little more about the secret.
Andrea
May 02, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it
I thought this was a cute story about a girl who goes to school (2nd grade) for the first time after being homeschooled. Her brother loves school, and she does not. She finds a new enemy, and a new friend, and at the end of the story, we find out that she has a very special way that she is going to deal with her new enemy. It was fun that we only got a taste of her secret before the end of the book. Makes me want to read more!
Cherie Smeltzer
Mar 15, 2015 Cherie Smeltzer rated it really liked it
After several student requests for this series, I bought it for the library. I am happy to report that after finishing the first book in the series, I want to read the second one, as it was a bit of a shock and cliffhanger at the end. Since it took me about 15 minutes to read, I will read it tomorrow! Good for Grade2/3. A bit of vocabulary may challenge younger readers, but illustrations are plentiful to help out.
RUKSIRI_TJ
Oct 01, 2015 RUKSIRI_TJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is very good. I love it so much. This book is easy to understand , fun and good for children. It takes about 2 days for finish read it so that made me has more time to read the other book. The story of it is very wonderful there are many emotional in this story sad , happy or angry etc. And this book is very good for who start reading because it use the easy words.
Dornel Cerro
Aug 20, 2013 Dornel Cerro rated it liked it
Heidi begins second grade at Brewster Elementary after being home-schooled with her younger brother, Henry. She faces the usual fears of new kid at school and her first day is not the best, especially when she becomes the target of the classroom bully, Melanie Maplethorpe. At home that afternoon,
Heidi remembers her special medallion and Book of Spells. Could her magic help her get back at Melanie? The fast paced story, easy text, gentle humor, believable characters, and engaging illustrations a
Steph
Feb 02, 2015 Steph rated it liked it
This was a little bit disappointing. Great illustrations and a nice reading level for 2nd and 3rd graders, but it was such a negative story. I don't like how the story ended or the content and how she's going to get revenge on a mean classmate. So many other topics would be positive for kids to be reading.
Calvin  Kwon
Jun 02, 2014 Calvin Kwon rated it it was ok
I liked this book because Heidi had a secret. Her enemy, named Melanie, is really mean. But Heidi figured out the way to stop Melanie and you should find out how by reading this book. I only gave it two stars because it wasn’t that great of a book because they didn’t tell the secret until the very end.
Krista
Jan 04, 2016 Krista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-books, 2016
Cute beginner chapter book.

Heidi Heckelbeck is starting school partway through 2nd grade after being homeschooled. She isn't happy about going and her day gets worse after meeting a mean girl. She decides to be her real self and get back at meanie Melanie.
Amber
Apr 01, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing
My 6 Year old daughter and I enjoyed reading this book together. It sparked a good conversation on what to do when others are being mean and also how doing things new can be hard. It had pictures on every page too and my daughter liked that.
Stephanie Cover2CoverBlog
Background: Heidi Heckelback is going to school for the first time, before her mother had home-schooled her. She is very upset about the whole idea. Heidi Heckelback has a Secret chronicles her first day of school and the interested and annoying people she meets while there…and then we learn her secret.

Review: This was a great read; young girls will love to read this. Heidi is cute and moody but she is a normal girl trying to fit in and her younger brother is encouraging and honest. The illustra
Amanda
Aug 10, 2015 Amanda rated it it was ok
It looks so cute and peppy from the outside, but it's not so fun...a lot of whining, a weird ending, and the double initial thing started to drive me nuts. I might read another in the hopes that the message gets better.
Ms.Patterson
Oct 27, 2014 Ms.Patterson rated it it was ok
I guess I'm going to have to read more than one to see if this series is any good - her secret, that she is a witch, gets revealed on the very last page. Otherwise it's hum drum new girl stuff. Grades 1 - 2
Rachel
Feb 12, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My 7 year old loves these. And they're perfect for a reader who is struggling with chapter books. These are perfect beginner chapter books. Cute too. Heidi goes through emotions all kids her age do.
Susan
Sep 20, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing
It was a good chapter book for beginning readers.It is easy to read because of the size of the words and the illustrations.I recommend this series to first and second graders.
Elizabeth
Sep 17, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Penny says: "This is the best book I've ever read. It was more exciting than other books to me. I got a jean jacket like Heidi's, and I can't wait to read the other books.
Jen Bojkov
Nice early chapter book. Entertaining and easy to read. The only thing some parents may not like is the Witch factor.
  • Amy and the Missing Puppy (Critter Club, #1)
  • Princess Posey and the Perfect Present (Princess Posey, #2)
  • Moldylocks and the Three Beards (Princess Pink and the Land of Fake Believe, #1)
  • Captain Awesome to the Rescue!
  • In a Blink (Disney Fairies: The Never Girls, #1)
  • Piper Reed, The Great Gypsy (Piper Reed #2)
  • Amelia Bedelia Means Business (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #1)
  • Boris on the Move (Boris #1: A Branches Book)
  • Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth
  • The Case of the Library Monster
  • Rainbow Swirl
  • Leroy Ninker Saddles Up (Tales from Deckawoo Drive, #1)
  • Ivy and Bean: No News Is Good News (Ivy and Bean, #8)
  • Coco: My Delicious Life (Lotus Lane, #2)
  • Jelly Bean (Shelter Pet Squad, #1)
  • The Crazy Case of Missing Thunder (Goofballs #1)
  • EllRay Jakes Is Not a Chicken
  • Galaxy Zack: Hello, Nebulon

Heidi Heckelbeck (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Casts a Spell
  • Heidi Heckelbeck and the Cookie Contest
  • Heidi Heckelbeck in Disguise
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Gets Glasses
  • Heidi Heckelbeck and the Secret Admirer
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Is Ready to Dance!
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Goes to Camp!
  • Heidi Heckelbeck and the Christmas Surprise