Start by marking “Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow: Discovering Your Right Livelihood” as Want to Read:
Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow: Discovering Your Right Livelihood

Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow: Discovering Your Right Livelihood

No More Monday Morning Blues...

You're about to be liberated! Here is the book you've been waiting for-a-step-by-step guide to finding the "work" that expresses and fulfills your needs, talents, and passions. Using dozens of real-life examples, Marsha Sinetar shows you how to overcome your fears, take the little risks that make big risks possible, and become a person whose
Published June 8th 2011 by Dell (first published March 4th 1989)

Margaret
I've owned this book for years, have recommended it to many, and have NEVER read it.

I just finished and I think I may start again tonight, I liked it that much.

I think the strongest impression it left me with is the notion that yeah, being happy in your work is critical and attainable. It's not icing on cake....and being happy to 'just have a job' is not acceptable if you don't want it to be. Also, finding your true calling is noble and this 'vocational integration' can and is the root of much h
Staci
Jul 10, 2012 Staci rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Beneath all the deep psychobabble that doesn't actually tell you how to go about doing what you love or really how to figure out what you love in the first place there are a few nuggets of insight and wisdom but they are unfortunately too few and far between to be worth much.
Jerrine Regester
I plucked this book off my bookshelf when needing a last minute read to take on a plane ride. This is not so much of a review as a highlight of a few of my favorite quotes and ideas. I see Marsha Sinetar has an updated version of this book (2011) but was curious to reread a book (1987) that meant something to me 25 years ago when I was trying to figure out my "right livelihood" and found myself drawn to Buddhism and the concept of "self-actualizing". I now use many of these concepts and ideas as ...more
Rena
Jun 22, 2010 Rena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The idea and message of this book are great. I didn't find a whole lot of practical advice, personally. It was more of an inspirational read. And maybe that is my fault for thinking there would be practical advice. I also found it getting a lot into the psychology of why people do or do not pursue their passion. This might be the right book for some people, but for where I am at, I didn't find it very useful.
Elizabeth Lund
This is not a nuts-and-bolts book. It takes what I might call a "classic" psychological approach (more theoretical than research-based) to various psychological issues that may affect people's work (for instance, low self-esteem). The organization is pretty loose, and it never really answers the question of how the "money will follow." Great title and maybe the right book for some people, but not for me.
Sergei_kalinin
Jan 22, 2016 Sergei_kalinin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, freelance
Открывал с опаской, т.к. подобных "рецептов быстрого обогащения для начинающих дауншифтеров" :)) сейчас превеликое множество. Но книга увлекла, и оказалась неожиданно глубокой!

Предупреждение №1: про "достаток" :) в книге практически нет ни слова! Это книга-тренинг - очень глубокая психологическая самопроработка с целью выявления своего истинного призвания. Это не столько про "работу", сколько про самореализацию, про выбор "образа/дела своей жизни". Книга очень грамотная с точки зрения психологи
John
Jun 20, 2016 John rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book inspirational when I first read it, I suggested to the owner of the Tattered Cover that they invite her as a speaker, which they did.

During that talk in Trinity Church main sanctuary Marsha said, "I try and answer my own phone calls, stay in touch with my readers. People are calling about this book and they are saying, 'Marsha, thanks for the book, it has changed my life. Now I'm doing what I love... but...'" (audience laughs, we all laughed because we were all thinking the sam
Doris
What a great book! You have to take your time reading through to soak up all of the thoughts and concepts presented. I found this book at an important time in my life. I was having spurts of depression because I was in a job that was restrictive and had no way of moving up.

While working through this book I was able to identify my values and goals and find the courage to step through my fears to find fulfilling work and a more positive mindset on what work is supposed to be.

So many times i see
Lisa
Feb 16, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, it offered keen insight on ways to think and plan for building a new career in something that truly inspires you. It was relatively short but filled with very relevant and diverse stories of people following this journey. And it offered very practical steps to take to pursue the path over time....not a do this and get rich type of approach. I expect I'll be journalling ideas from this book for sometime and I recommend it to those searching for what to do next!
Erin
Jul 16, 2011 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good basic primer on aligning your dreams with reality & looking at vocation as more than just a forum to earn money. My Dad sent me a copy when I entered film school. It was probably the first time I really took a deeper look at what I spend my time doing, why, & how to create fulfillment & be financially abundant at the same time.
Bryan
Aug 09, 2012 Bryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had a few decent suggestions for introspective activities to help the reader get into the frame of mind to change but ultimately, at only 200 pages, the book could have been far shorter.
Jim Foreman
Feb 25, 2017 Jim Foreman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got as far as chapter 3. I found the author unrelatable. A lot a of writing with very little to no insight.
Maggie Duval
Feb 14, 2017 Maggie Duval rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mom gave me this book when it came out in 1989, and every 7 years or so, I re-read it. This is not a how-to, "life-coachy" book, it's more of a meta/40,000 foot/bigger perspective view of life and a philosophy of how to approach it. The life she espouses is where I find myself today.

This book, while about 200 pages, is not a quick read. I recommend it in small doses, allowing her words to percolate in your subconscious and sparking insight at unexpected, serendipitous times.

Thanks again, Mom!
Teresa
Jan 15, 2008 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: one in need of a jump start or direction
Recommended to Teresa by: saw it; couldn't resist the title! :-)
When I was in graduate school the first time (back in the late 80's) I found this book while browsing the homemade shelves of a delightful "Mom and Pop" bookstore around the corner from my apartment. (Back in the day before B&N and mega-book stores and, yes, Amazon.)

It continues to find its way to my "to-read" book shelf for several reasons; as I have read and reread this book several times. Over the years, I periodically skim through it for its highlighted lines, dog-eared pages as well as
Diana Nagy
Excellent Excellent Excellent Read. Marsha Sinetar is a genius! This book was pub'd in the 80's and is so relevant to today. Not kidding. This book contained so much great information for me that I have nearly ever single page turned over the book is triple its size from all the dogeared pages. Don't skip out on this book....Even if you are already doing what you love (I am) it will help you love doing what you love furthermore! Try it out. Definitely one of my faves of the year!
StoryTellerShannon
This is a good book when you're trying to get the inspiration or courage to change. It's very spiritual and "pick me up" which is something everyone needs before they take action.

That said, this book won't really help you in developing a plan of action towards that goal. If you want that, try Barbara Sher
or Zig Ziglar or Tony Robbins.

OVERALL GRADE: B to B plus.
Casey
Aug 20, 2016 Casey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are bored!
Started out awesome. I really enjoyed this book through chapter 4, after that, it became cheap pyscho-babble. A lot of things I disagreed with and I got bored and quit reading.
Read at your own risk; but, the title should more aptly read, "Do the job you were truly meant to do and the universe will take care of you". This is NOT!!!!! a book on how to be wealthy.
Linda Atnip
Sep 13, 2011 Linda Atnip rated it really liked it
At the time I read this, I was deeply inspired to follow the author's rules. Although I diligently applied them to my own life, my results never quite achieved the goals I had set. However, the information is on target and is very helpful in jump starting an individual when they feel stuck or at a crossroads in their life.
Laura Lynch
This book is about discovering yourself and trying to determine a career path. Many of the examples were of people who stumbled upon their calling. The crux is self-analysis and believing in yourself once you have discovered your true interests. The author includes tips on banishing "shoulds", dealing with resistance and liberating yourself from an unfulfilling job.
Jennifer Robb
Apr 13, 2016 Jennifer Robb rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book for a long time, and it appears I got it from a library used book sale. I'm sure the author has good points to make, but I didn't last through 3 chapters because her method seems based on Buddhist teaching (and this contradicts my personal worldview). I did find her own story, which she relates in the introduction inspiring.
Barry Davis
Feb 16, 2016 Barry Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting title and informative book, although more focused on the concept of self-expression in the world of work than on practical methods to achieve the results. The author’s point is well-taken, however, particularly in this age of vocational insecurity. Why not do what you love?
Lisa
May 11, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book at a critical time of transition in my life. It gave me the perspective and the courage to pursue my dream of going back to grad school to become a therapist. I recommend to clients who are unhappy in their vocational life, and who are in career transition.
Candelaria Silva
Jan 25, 2016 Candelaria Silva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the first self-help, personal empowerment books I ever read. While I don't think money will always come if you do what you love - I do know that one should include one's passion in one's life. The book makes some very useful points.
Mallie
Oct 18, 2012 Mallie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Immensely valuable.
Julie M
some great insights in chapter 8
Nancy
Jul 25, 2011 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mother bought this for me as I was completing college, and still didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up! It has led me to the path that I am now on. I would highly recommend this book!
Robert Cymbala
Apr 07, 2014 Robert Cymbala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful.
Deb
Jun 27, 2013 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
The beginning chapters of this book was great. The last two chapters I didn't find as helpful.
Angela Samuels
I have this on my real bookshelf. It's a good book to be inspired by your own unique ideas.
Victor McGuire
Nov 28, 2010 Victor McGuire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title says it all..
Right Livelihood/Finding your passion 1 5 Apr 17, 2013 09:34AM
  • Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways for Creating Work That You Love
  • Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want
  • The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
  • The Aladdin Factor
  • Zen and the Art of Making a Living: A Practical Guide to Creative Career Design
  • The Pathfinder: How to Choose or Change Your Career for a Lifetime of Satisfaction and Success
  • The Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your Advice
  • Dreamer's Dictionary
  • The Path of Least Resistance: Learning to Become the Creative Force in Your Own Life
  • Transitions: Making Sense of Life's Changes
  • Recovery of Your Inner Child: The Highly Acclaimed Method for Liberating Your Inner Self
  • The Power of Premonitions: How Knowing the Future Can Shape Our Lives
  • Open Your Mind to Prosperity
  • From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life
  • Life Makeovers: 52 Practical & Inspiring Ways to Improve Your Life One Week at a Time
  • Do What You Are : Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type
  • Everyday Crochet: Wearable Designs Just for You