Start by marking “dove season” as Want to Read:
dove season

dove season (A Jimmy Veeder Fiasco #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  1,412 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
This free Kindle download gives you an early look at the first three, unedited chapters of Dove Season from Johnny Shaw, due to be released September 13, 2011.
Audiobook, 27 pages
Published (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about dove season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about dove season

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Jimmy Veeder finds out that his dad Jack is dying from cancer, so he heads home to Imperial Valley to spend time with him before he goes. Jack wants an odd request from Jimmy though. He wants a prostitute. Not just any prostitute but one named Yolanda.
Jimmy and his buddy Bobby Maves head off to find her.
It's never simple when these two are involved though. Trouble will find them no matter what they are doing.

Violence is widespread because Bobby and Jimmy seem to be pros at getting their asses
Dan Schwent
Apr 01, 2014 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
When he finds out his father has terminal cancer, Jimmy Veeder returns home for the first time in over a decade. His father has one last request: one last visit with a bar girl named Yolanda. Little does Jimmy know the shitstorm his is about to unleash...

Since Plaster City was part of the Kindle First program this month, I thought it was high time I read Johnny Shaw's first Jimmy Veeder novel, Dove Season, and I'm very glad I did.

Dove Season is a crime tale that feels like something Joe Lansdale
Kemper
The Reading Gods had been tapping me on the shoulder for a while about Johnny Shaw, but I foolishly ignored their omens.

Dove Season was one of the ARCs I got in the freebie bag at Bouchercon last fall. I thought it looked interesting, and then I got into a conversation with a young woman who worked for Amazon and asked me what books I’d received. When I mentioned this title, she told me I should put it at the top of my list. So after I got home I put it on the To Read pile with every intention o
James Thane
May 29, 2012 James Thane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent novel set in the Imperial Valley on the border between California and Mexico. Jimmy Veeder, the main protagonist, grew up there but put the Valley in his rearview mirror years ago, without looking back. Since then, he's been drifting from one place and one job to another, rootless and with no real ambition beyond taking each day as it comes. But then Jimmy learns that his father, Big Jack Veeder, is dying of cancer and Jimmy returns home to be with his father and to offer wh ...more
Melki
Oct 03, 2012 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I've been wanting to read this book since I first laid eyes on the cover. I mean, look at it! We all know booze and firearms always lead to trouble. Here in Pennsylvania, at least once each deer season some drunken hunter bags a trophy that upon closer inspection is actually a cow...or a brother-in-law.

There are no hunting accidents in this book, but plenty of people drink and carry guns, and sometimes shoot them at other people.

Jimmy Veeder is an educated professional loafer. He works a variet
Zoeytron
Feb 27, 2015 Zoeytron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jimmy Veeder returns to his hometown and his roots when he learns his father is dying. His dad makes an unusual request of his son. Find a Mexican prostitute named Yolanda (last name and whereabouts unknown) and bring her to his hospital room. The old man has his reasons.

Jimmy enlists the help of his best friend since boyhood, Bobby Maves, to find this proverbial needle in a haystack. Bobby is 'a man at peace with violence'. He is no misanthrope, he merely likes to fight and is very good at it.
Paul Nelson
Jan 04, 2015 Paul Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lee Thompson, Edward (The Book Pusher) Lorn, Gregor Xane
'Is it better to have responsibility and fail or to choose to remain irresponsible?'

Jimmy Veeder has come back to Imperial Valley after a 12 year absence, his Father Jack is dying from cancer and there's not long left. Lots to catch up on, one of his last requests, find him a Mexican prostitute named Yolanda, an usual one from the man that shaped him, maybe even a touch precarious but hell it's his Dad and he sets out to achieve this last thing for him with the help of a few friends.

That's the
Richard
Apr 15, 2014 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Recommended to Richard by: Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Shelves: thriller
8/10

A great read which came out of nowhere really. I didn’t expect to enjoy this one as much as I did but I was swept away with the easy narration and entertaining plot. Jimmy is tasked by his dying father to find a long lost prostitute he had previous liaisons with to have one final encounter. The only issue is he’s unsure of where she will be. Time to call up some buddy’s and head down to Mexico!

As mentioned, the writing style is really good in that you can easily get lost in the story for a c
Ɗắɳ  2.✽
Apr 17, 2014 Ɗắɳ 2.✽ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hick-lit
“There is something about the desert that pisses everything off.

It could be the heat. Or the barren landscape. Or the stark desolation. It doesn’t really matter the why. The fact is the desert brings out the desperate worst in a thing. In an environment where nothing is meant to survive, life seethes.”

Quite the opening, to a solid, debut novel, that defies conventional genres. Is it a crime novel, a coming of age story, a comedy, hick lit, or possibly all of the above? The book’s cover calls it
Josh
Oct 16, 2011 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kindle, read_2012
Tracking down a Mexican prostitute named Yolanda, bleeds life into a story derived from impending death. Protagonist, Jimmy Veeder returns to his old stomping ground and quickly becomes reacquainted with lost friends. Author, Johnny Shaw, spotlights the unsettled dust between youth and adulthood leaving festering wounds wide open and past grudges in the forefront of Jimmy’s predicament. The borderlands of California and Mexico are as much a character as the colourful inhabitants of the environs ...more
Kelly
Feb 15, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, series
Fantastic debut

It's hard to believe this is a debut novel. Seriously, it's one of the best books I've read in months. I loved everything about it. The characters, the witty dialogue, the story, the pacing....you get the idea. I'm really looking forward to the next book, Plaster City. To quote my friend Shelby: "A day with a Johnny Shaw book is a good day."
Still
Jun 04, 2013 Still rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Initially I was anticipating something along the lines of the Frank Bill/Donald Ray Pollock school of car-wheels-on-a-gravel-road noir.
I was forced almost immediately to reconsider my expectations.

The narrator the reader will eventually discover is one Jimmy Veeder returning to his small hometown in The Imperial Valley to spend –hopefully- a few remaining months with his cancer stricken father.

Early on Johnny Shaw delights with excellent set-ups for passages such as the following:

I had been mak
Stephanie
Feb 18, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction, thriller
Raise your hand if you love a country boy!

Jimmy Veeder heads back to his hometown deep in the Imperial Valley of Southern California after a 12 year absence. He's headed back home after his father finally tells him that he has been battling cancer and has lost the battle. Big Jack Veeder has always been larger than life to Jimmy and even though Jimmy hasn't been home in a while, he and his dad talked regularly and wrote letters weekly if not more often. So when he gets back to the family farm an
Melissa
The higher side of three stars. This reminds me of a cross between a Hap & Leonard novel & anything Sughrue by James Crumley, which I did actually think of myself before seeing a blurb on the back of the book saying basically that same thing. I'm heartened to see that this is the first in a series (thank you Prospector for locating book #2 for me) because I can't get enough of the banter between Jimmy & Bobby.
"'The boys say they've found a tunnel. Think it leads to the smokestack th
Bill
May 21, 2016 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Biting wit, humor, scathing dialog and plenty of violence are the theme for this one from Mr. Shaw, as Jimmy Veeder and his childhood friend, Booby Maves go on a wild, drunken, whore hunt for Jimmy’s dying father.

I really liked everything about this one. It starts strong and remains that way throughout. The secondary characters are superb and are a perfect set up for a string of belly laughs and crazy hijinks. This is only my second read by Johnny Shaw, but there is something about this guy that
Paula
Sep 10, 2015 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is anything BUT a fiasco... its one of the best written novels I've EVER come across.

I read a book a week, more when I can. I am a fan of Faulkner and Steinbeck and I am so tired of the overindulgent pointless vobabulo-philes and the mindless critical accolades that follow. I was shocked that this book Ive never heard about, that I got for $0.50 at a library book sale about characters I have nothing in common with reached into my mind and soul.

Granted this is a book about some wonky situati
Jonathan Peto
In naming his novel Dove Season, Johnny Shaw definitely seemed to be trying to lay out his priorities. His characters do not participate in the seasonal hunting that apparently takes place in the Imperial Valley of Southern California during the time of the story. That's okay. Shaw's goal, I think, is to make a character of the setting. He succeeds. I've never visited this part of the world but enjoyed Mr. Shaw's introduction to it: alfalfa, desert, excursions into Mexico, water rights, and ille ...more
Mark
Mar 04, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Is it better to have responsibility and fail or to choose to remain irresponsible?”

Dove Season is a hell of a debut novel, and might be the most twisted coming of age story you’re likely to read. Jimmy Veeder returns to his hometown in the Imperial Valley of California, a bleak, blistering hot farming region near the Mexican Border. Jimmy has spent his life avoiding responsibility, taking menial jobs that are easy to quit, despite a college education. He’s returning home after many years to car
Benoit Lelièvre
DOVE SEASON swiftly shifts into fourth gear during its first half, but it doesn't really have a fifth gear. It's a very good novel and a very consistant novel (which is an admirable trait for a first novel), but the unusual intimacy of the narration and its rugged naturalism swept me away so quickly, I was disappointed it never became transcendent.

I'm still giving DOVE SEASON 5 stars because it's a hardboiled crime novel that doesn't feel formulaic and recycled. It exists within a paradigm it c
Skip
Jul 13, 2014 Skip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I am not sure why I did not like this book more, especially since some of my GR friends gave it 4 stars (Dan S., Kemper, James T.), but I didn't. Jimmy Veeder returns home to the Imperial Valley, on the U.S. Mexico border when news of his father's impending death from cancer finally reaches him. He reconnects with his long ago abandoned friends, helps his Dad with belly laughs and connecting with the mysterious Yolanda, before finding himself in a world of trouble in connection with the latter. ...more
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
Loved this. Mr Shaw where have you been all my life! Review to come.
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)

Jimmy Veeder hasn’t seen his dad, Jack, in years, but he’s back home after Jack finally discloses to him that he’s suffering from cancer and living out the rest of his days in hospice. Jimmy is a college grad, but his degree in English literature isn’t doing him any good, and he’s been wiling away his days doing a variety of manual labor. Jimmy loves his father, and is glad to be back with him, even if it’s for a short time, so he opens up the old house, n
Michael
Jimmy Veeder returns to his father's home after a twelve year absence. His father, Jack, kept his cancer to himself but when he knew his days were numbered, he called Jimmy.

Jimmy's home is Holtville in southern California by the Mexican border. It's a place in the desert where "...even the plants have a chip on their shoulders."

Holtville hasn't changed much since Jimmy left. Neither has his best friend, Bobby Maves. When Jimmy greets Bobby and asks how he's been, Bobby's response, "I live in Hol
Cheryl
Oct 08, 2012 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'My friends in different cities found it charming, even romantic, that I grew up on a farm. It was neither. Ask a farmer.'

DOVE SEASON is the second book I have read recently by Johnny Shaw, the first being BIG MARIA. DOVE SEASON is a little less slapstick than BIG MARIA. Some serious subjects are actually looked at, such as poverty, racism, dying, cancer, growing up, murder, but it is no less fun to read.

The main protagonist of the story is Jimmy Veeder. Jimmy comes home when he finds out his da
Mike
Jul 20, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If'n you don't like Joe Lansdale's writin', then you won't like Johnny Shaw's either, I reckon. I found this novel to have an original plot, very well-developed characters and a great sense of humor about itself and its participants, good and bad. Yes, it reminded me of Lansdale and it can easily stand shoulder to shoulder with that writer's east Texas stuff. I will certainly be looking for more of Jimmy Veeder and the Imperial Valley.
Sandi
Very enjoyable debut novel. I thought the plotting was impressive, loved the characters, and thought there was just the right amount of both humor and violence.
Randy
Sep 22, 2011 Randy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jimmy Veeder comes home after twelve years to deal with his father's cancer. "Pop" is dying. Though he hadn't been home in all those years, the two men had talked frequently on the phone, often for hours at a time, mostly making each other laugh.

At first, that's what they did in the convalescent home.

Then his father made a strange request. He wanted Johnny to find a prostitute named Yolanda and bring her to him. All he could tell was that she was somewhere in the Calexico/Mexicali area of southe
Ipsith
Apr 05, 2013 Ipsith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Terrific setting description and sense of place and a host of strong and interesting characters bonded in their youth. Life can be messy and the lives of Jimmy Veeder and his friends prove the point as they hurtle toward rough justice and perhaps salvation. I loved the humor that the protagonist, Jimmy Veeder, saw in almost every situation and relished the politically incorrect one liners: "A Trisket is a brown cracker.","Nature is beautiful only if you find cruelty beautiful." are scattered thr ...more
Nenette
A story about a man who returned to his hometown after 12 years of absence, when he learned that his father was dying. He rekindled bonds with his best friend and former girlfriend. He discovered secrets. He uncovered a murder. He decided to stay. There were exciting twists and turns along the way, and a lot of swearing, but nothing too extraordinary. The setting was realistic, since the author grew up in the same place, so the genuineness is there. There is also a uniqueness in the friendship b ...more
Josh Stallings
Feb 23, 2012 Josh Stallings rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What fantastic book. Full of heart and heartbreak. I feel like I have spent the last week on the California Mexico border. Johnny Shaw effortlessly blends a drama between a son and a father, a man trying to outrun adulthood, with a crazy fast paced crime thriller. Insightful work that leaves me wanting more from the talented Mr Shaw.
  • Frank Sinatra in a Blender
  • The Hard Bounce
  • The Cold Spot (Cold, #1)
  • Donnybrook
  • The Bastard Hand
  • Ranchero (Nick Reid, #1)
  • Yellow Medicine (Billy Lafitte, #1)
  • Beautiful, Naked & Dead
  • Fake I.D. (Hard Case Crime #56)
  • Peckerwood
  • The Deputy
  • Bullets and Fire
  • Pike
  • Hard Bite
  • Toros & Torsos
  • Hoodtown
  • Innocent Monster (Moe Prager, #6)
  • Last Call for the Living
Johnny Shaw was born and raised on the Calexico/Mexicali border, the setting for his award-winning Jimmy Veeder Fiasco series, which includes the novels DOVE SEASON and PLASTER CITY. He is also the author of the Anthony Award-winning adventure novel, BIG MARIA.

His shorter work has appeared in Thuglit, Crime Factory, Shotgun Honey, Plots with Guns, and numerous anthologies. He is the creator and ed
More about Johnny Shaw...

A Jimmy Veeder Fiasco (3 books)
  • Plaster City (A Jimmy Veeder Fiasco, #2)
  • Imperial Valley (Jimmy Veeder Fiasco)

“Even a desert hare will take a finger off the dumbass that tries to pet it. If the desert can make a bunny that angry, imagine what it does to the people.” 5 likes
“Anything can be a curse if it ain't a choice. If it's all you know. If you do it because your father did it. And you do it because it's familiar and safe and you're afraid to do something else. Even if all you want to do is anything else.” 1 likes