Start by marking “The Demon's Mistress (Three Heroes, #1) (Company of Rogues, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Demon's Mistress (Three Heroes, #1) (Company of Rogues, #6)

The Demon's Mistress (Three Heroes, #1) (Three Heroes #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Lord Vendeiman has returned from war to find his estate bankrupt and his father dead. When wealthy widow Maria Celestin offers to hire him to pose as her fiancé, he agrees, but forbidden passion ignites between them. Dare he reach for happiness? But what will happen when Vandeiman learns the truth about the woman he has come to love?
ebook
Published June 28th 2011 by Penguin Group (first published May 25th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Demon's Mistress (Three Heroes, #1), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Demon's Mistress (Three Heroes, #1)

Brigdh
Possibly the best of the Company of Rogues series! (At least, so far; I'm abandoning them and I'm not even halfway through.) In the opening scene, Lord Vendeiman attempts suicide, due both to his survivor's guilt after Waterloo and his impending bankruptcy. Maria interrupts and offers to pay him to pretend to be her fiance for the next six weeks. She's a widow, and since she has just discovered that it was her husband's secret business dealings that caused Van's bankruptcy, she feels obliged to ...more
Victoria Vane
There were a few plot issues I had to overlook. The main one being the heroine inviting the hero to live with her after only two days acquaintance. Even engaged I can't see how this could ever have been acceptable during the Regency, BUT in the end I truly enjoyed this story and will look forward to reading others in this series.
Cary
THis was quite short (less than 100 pages) but sweet. A woman who doesn't want to fall in love with a younger man (8 years) and an younger man who does fall in love with an older woman.
Lyuda
Very good story: short and sweet with gentle handling of age difference between hero and older heroine.
Stephanie Bolen
It was interesting and unusual for a Regency dealing with the aftermath of the war, but there were so many issues from fertility to age difference that the falling in love part got left behind like a romantic montage on a romance movie.
Nancy Crayton
Although it's very short compared to other stories in the anthology, Three Heroes, I love the characters and the basis of the story. This is definitely one of my favorites!
Janice
Quick, easy read.
Emily
I couldn't handle another page. It's quite short, easy to read but hard for me to take in.

I cannot handle reading a woman in her 30s talking about romance (not the sweet stuff, I'm telling you) for a man a lot younger than she is.

Out of all men she could choose from, it had to be someone younger than her!

I can't help but wonder whether this is just the author's fantasy of her own. X_X
Julia
An interesting and more complex relationship between the two main characters although somewhat fanciful.
Dangermousie
I am normally not big on novellas, but my one regret with this one was that I wish it was longer because I loved the characters too much to let go - the pragmatic heroine and the wounded (but awesome) hero are totally incredible together.
Pily-buu Cisneros
Cortito pero bueno, no se que prejuicio se tenga a que la mujer sea mayor que el hombre, el amor es amor sea cual sea la edad, no existe un criterio que separe el amor por edades
Thais Gisele
It has a good storyline. However, despite the good premise, the story was too short. It lacked a further development of the plot and characters.
Mary Lauer
Van is an amazing tortured hero and Maria is a surprising match to heal him, but ohmigod do they work together!! And the sex is so HOT!
Mary Lauer
I like this story. Jo Beverely doesn't gloss over the wounds of war (which aren't always physical). Goo pairing.
Brenda
Short and hot!
RBeda
RBeda marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Nh
Nh added it
May 20, 2015
Roxanne Lindsay
Roxanne Lindsay marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Kellie Fike
Kellie Fike marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
  • Flirting with Ruin (Castonbury Park 0.5)
  • The Devil's Pearl (House of Trent, #0.5)
  • Hot Under the Collar (Lords of Lancashire #2)
  • Heartless (Georgian, #1)
  • When It's Perfect
  • Eden Creek
  • Once Upon a Christmas Kiss
  • Hunting Season
  • His Lordship's Mistress
  • Have You Any Rogues? (Rhymes With Love, #2.5)
  • Lady Gallant (European Renaissance Duo, #1) (Ladies, #1)
  • The Parfit Knight
  • Code of Honor
  • A Promise of Love (Zebra Lovegram)
  • The Companion (Companion, #1)
  • Ethan: Lord of Scandals (Lonely Lords, #3)
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
Mary Josephine Dunn was born 22 September 1947 in Lancashire, England, UK. At the age of eleven she went to an all-girls boarding school, Layton Hill Convent, Blackpool. At sixteen, she wrote her first romance, with a medieval setting, completed in installments in an exercise book. From 1966 to 1970, she obtained a degree in English history from Keele University in Staffordshire, where she met her ...more
More about Jo Beverley...

Three Heroes (3 books)
  • The Dragon's Bride (Three Heroes, #2) (Company of Rogues, #7)
  • The Devil's Heiress (Three Heroes, #3) (Company of Rogues, #8)
My Lady Notorious (Malloren, #1) An Arranged Marriage (Company of Rogues, #1) An Unwilling Bride (Company of Rogues, #2) Devilish (Malloren, #5) Something Wicked (Malloren, #3)