Morgan's Passing

Morgan's Passing

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  2,838 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Morgan Gower has an outsize hairy beard, an array of peculiar costumes and fantastic headwear, and a serious smoking habit. He likes to pretend to be other people - a jockey, a shipping magnate, a foreign art dealer - and he likes to do this more and more since his massive brood of daughters are all growing up, getting married and finding him embarrassing. Then comes his f...more
Paperback
Published November 5th 1987 by Vintage (first published January 1st 1960)

Bonnie
It had been so long since I read Anne Tyler, I began to miss her. So I decided to reread Morgan’s Passing because it’s one of the books I least remember, likely because this book isn’t so much a well-plotted story as it is a great character study of protagonist, Morgan Gower. But this is typical of Anne Tyler’s work, as she has been known to admit, though she does not do many interviews.

Morgan’s Passing is similar to The Accidental Tourist (the better of the two books) in that both main characte...more
Adam Wilson
Morgan's Passing was a disappointment for me personally, but I bet a lot of Anne Tyler fans would enjoy it. She is definitely an author that has her own style and it is

easy to see in this book, but the story lacks the brilliantly odd characters of The Accidental Tourist or the emotional plot of Dinner At The Homesick Restaurant. It

didn't take me long to lose interest in pretty much everything about this novel and once I lose interest, it is hard for me to get back into the story. I rarely give...more
Rachel
Elizabeth (Alaska)
I really like Anne Tyler, so I was too stubborn to give up on this, though I considered it several times. Morgan Gower is possibly the most eccentric character I've encountered. They say some people march to the beat of a different drummer. I think Morgan Gower listened to a drumbeat in an alternate reality. And, truly, I didn't especially care one way or the other.

Alison
My least favourite Anne Tyler book so far combining two of my pet peeve story lines: 1) infidelity and 2) young, beautiful, bright woman ending up with a mentally-unstable, crusty old man. Still well-written.
Brandee
Having read several Anne Tyler books, I know her writing style and the types of stories and characters she creates, but this book was just weird. Not one her best, in my opinion. I guess that Morgan should be the main character since his name is in the title, but he didn't seem nearly as developed or real as Emily. For me, the best parts of this book were Emily: her feelings about motherhood, marriage, her upbringing, and the life she ultimately leads. The puppets were fun to read about, and con...more
Kelli
Thus far I always love reading Ann Tyler. She makes flawed characters come to life and makes the reader think about them in a new way. Not sure how to describe this one. I enjoyed this book but for the first time with a Tyler book, I really didn’t like the main characters. I thought the hero in this book was creepy and yet similar to people you pass on the street each day. I did however have to look at his thinking from a different angle. It makes you wonder about the common and sometimes irrita...more
Tess Kindig
I love Anne Tyler -- that's a given. But this book, which I originally missed and just read now, rounded out a summer of no favorites. Morgan, it would seem, is supposed to be wonderfully eccentric, but I found him creepy, a stalker, and a ne'er-do-well. Leon was off-putting too, as were the puppets. I read the whole thing, but it was with great relief that the curtain finally fell on the entire cast of uninteresting characters.
Laila
Anne Tyler is so good. She's not everyone's cup of tea, but I just love reading her novels. They're quirky. Morgan irritated me somewhat at first, but then he grew on me. What I like about Tyler is that she deals with people who seem *almost* real, but they're just a little bit off. And they get into situations that feel *almost* familiar, but not quite something that you would ever experience. Yet the emotions ring true.
Annalie
Somewhat disappointing, because I absolutely love most of Anne Tyler's novels. I really disliked the main character and my rating is therefore rather subjective, because I do think it was a well crafted book.
yexxo
Kommt mit ins Urlaubsgepäck. Ob ich all die Bücher schaffe? Im Zug sitze ich ja lange genug...

So, jetzt bin ich durch. Hat ja lange genug gedauert ;-)
Morgan, die Hauptfigur des Romans, ist ein Mensch wie man sie sich gerne mehr in unserer Gesellschaft wünschen würde. Aber nur nicht als Ehemann!! :-)
Er liebt es, sein Leben in verschiedenen Rollen zu leben und unterstreicht die Wahrhaftigkeit dieser Existenzen noch durch entsprechende Verkleidungen. Seine Familie hat gelernt damit umzugehen, viell...more
Judi
Morgan Gower works at Cullen's Hardware Store in North Baltimore. He has seven daughters and a goodhearted wife. As he gets into his middle years he finds his household confusing and tedious. To break up his life he pretends to be different things to different people. He actually has some weekly ritual he performs in these different personas and this is something his wife accepts as part of Morgan. Then one day he pops into the role of Dr. Morgan to help two young newlyweds deliver a baby. But,...more
Gerald
My favorite Anne Tyler novel, but they are all masterful. This one has a 'Hanna and Her Sisters' twist.

I hope she comes out with a new one before long, but until she does I will just have to reread all her others for the fourth time. As I just did Morgan.

This time through I realize that the Bonny character is autobiographical. She resembles Ms. Tyler from the physical description, and at one point she admits she intends to write this story (a tip-off I did not remember).

Bonny is not the main cha...more
Sarah Sammis
I picked up a copy of Morgan's Passing on the mistaken impression that I had read another of Anne Tyler's books and enjoyed it. Having gone through my records I realize that I must have been mistaken. Nonetheless, I'm glad that I took a chance and read the book.

Morgan's Passing refers to Morgan's passing into old age and of his obituary that he reads in the paper, put there by his ex wife. The story covers the highlights of 12 years from 1967 to 1979. The events are book ended by birth and death...more
Marilyn
This is pretty early Anne Tyler. I was loving it until it took a turn. I guess I discovered that I like my quirky characters to at least be moral. That being said it was an extremely clean immoral transition at least. Ms. Tyler's characters usually seem so above being fallible, if that makes any sense.
Beth Kiesel
I give it 3 stars because Anne Tyler has such a way with characters and settings. However, this book had a fatal flaw. In the first half, I was absolutely delighted by Morgan. I loved his quirkiness, his misalignment with his large family, his love of hats... But that all changed when he got those romantic feelings and I can't believe it all ended that way. Depressing.
Rita	 Marie
The characters in this novel seem quite eccentric at the beginning. Then as one reads on, they seem more and more normal. How scary is that?

Classic Anne Tyler -- she lures you in and then shows you what's really going on inside all kinds of people. The ending on this one was a surprise. Usually Tyler's endings are fairly quiet and peaceful. This one was rather twisty and a bit dramatic. But still wonderful, as always.
Susan  Odetta
Anne Tyler has done it again. Drawn me in to characters that are so odd that I don't really want to know them, and yet, so endearingly quirky that I can't help but be drawn to them. And then there's that recognition of my own traits in the characters. And that's why I read every title of Anne Tyler's I get my hands on. This gem was waiting for me at the Moose Lake, MN public library.

"He did not believe that there was anything in the world that would make her really happy. Unless, perhaps, she co...more
Anna Cools
Second book I read of Anne Tyler's. It was disturbing I'd say. A look into mental illness and cold barren poverty in Pennsylvania.
Cheryl in CC NV
Impressively written, but not for everyone. Tyler gives us almost no clues to the characters' inner lives except descriptions of their behaviors, which makes it difficult to stay interested in them long enough to figure out a way to appreciate them, to feel close enough to them to care.

I mean, in this one, two marriages are broken up, and in a manner seemingly almost whimsical and definitely impractical. And yet nobody seems upset or even conflicted - and the jacket comments praise the book as...more
Pamela Strickland
The characters were well developed and her writing is so unforced. But the actual story made me uncomfortable and sad.
Carmen
Morgan is a lovable incompetent. The kind whom we wonder how they get along in the world. He has an immense imagination, a poor work ethic, and seven children! One day he is watching a puppet show. Suddenly the curtain closes and then a young man comes out and asks if there is a doctor in the house. Morgan stands up. This is story of how he met Leon and Emily. He then becomes a stalker, wants to be involved in their lives. If this happens or not is the gist of the rest of the story. Highly enter...more
Rita
1980 [not 1960 as goodreads lists it], Baltimore.
Entertaining, people that do such weird things I don't feel I need to think deeply about any of it...

is Tyler always so visual in her writing? This story would do much better in film -- seeing the puppets and the puppet shows would be more pleasant than reading the descriptions of them, same with all the strange outfits that Morgan wears, a different one every day.

Perhaps I am missing some deeper meaning, or perhaps these personality types just do...more
Patty
I know that this was meant to be a humorous and light-hearted read, but I found it to be dark and verging on a stalkers view of life. I cringe to think of being married to Morgan and the power he has over the women in his life. Yuck!
Gloria
This was on the Library's "Let Talk About It" series of romance novels. Morgan, Morgan, Morgan.....there are no words to describe him. I could not help loving him in the beginning of this novel, but he lost favor when he started stalking Emily. It was beyond belief that not one but two women loved this indescribable character and had eight children by him.

Anne Tyler is one of my favorite authors. But, I cannot say I would even think of reading this again.
Catherine
Morgan is a marvelous character who lives each day as if it's his first. The story isn't much, but that may be a result of reading 3 Anne Tylers in a row. The message is kind of "get up every day and live your dream if you know what it is, and if you don't, live as if you do anyway. The other characters in Tyler's stories are a little too fluid and emotion-less to be real, at least to me. Why have 7 daughters? They're like shadows.
Decop
an odd, thought-provoking book, morgan's passing ultimately made me sad. anne tyler often writes about how people are absorbed into other people and their surroundings, powerlessness and continuity. she likes to give the reader a feeling of unease, but ultimately a quiet peace of acceptance. in this she is a master writer and pupptmaster of the psyche. i did not feel peaceful at the end of this book. and i think she did it on purpose!
Vanda Bromwich
Morgan is a cross between Forrest Gump and Mr. Benn. He meets a couple who are puppeteers and becomes fascinated by them and follows them around in his many guises. His long suffering wife puts up with him and his weird mother and sister and even welcomes the young couple into their hectic family life. However things change when Morgan falls in love.
An amusing, entertaining light hearted read.
Lee
The novel is centered around Morgan, a very quirky family man, father of 7 daughters, and manager of a hardware store owned by his wife's family. His interaction with a young couple as the wife is in labor sets the stage for drama. I'm never quite sure if I really enjoy Anne Tyler's books or just want to find out what off the wall scenario she's come up with this time....
  • Ordinary Life: Stories
  • Family Pictures
  • Object Lessons
  • At Risk
  • Second Generation (Lavette Family, #2)
  • The Soldier's Return
  • The Good Wife
  • Tomorrow Will Be Better
  • The Handyman
  • Disobedience
  • A Southern Family
  • The Sweetheart Season
  • The Annunciation (Voices of the South)
  • Rector's Wife
  • Pomfret Towers
  • Vanished
Anne Tyler was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in 1941 and grew up in Raleigh, North Carolina. She graduated at nineteen from Duke University and went on to do graduate work in Russian studies at Columbia University. The Beginner's Goodbye is Anne Tyler's nineteenth novel; her eleventh, Breathing Lessons , was awarded the Pulitzer Prize in 1988. She is a member of the American Academy of Arts and...more
More about Anne Tyler...
The Accidental Tourist Breathing Lessons Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant Digging to America Saint Maybe

“He began to see the situation from another angle. An assignment had been given him. Someone’s life, a small set of lives had been placed in the palm of his hand. Maybe he would never have any more purpose than this: to accept the assignment gracefully, lovingly, and do the best he could with it.” 1 likes
“He had stood there looking around him, hunting someone, and had not found whoever it was and turned to go; but in turning, he caught sight of Emily and paused and looked at her again, and then frowned and went on out. She had not actually been introduced to him for another week. But now it seemed to her that at his entrance--swinging through the library door, carrying a single book in his hand (his fingers fine-textured and brown, his shirtcuffs so perfectly white)--her life had suddenly bee set in motion. Everything had started up, as if complicated wheels and gears had finally connected, and had raced along in a blur from then on. It was only now, in this slowed-down room, that she had a chance to examine what had happened” 0 likes