Start by marking “Du sang sur la toile” as Want to Read:
Du sang sur la toile

Du sang sur la toile

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  37 reviews
In Shadow Family, Miyuki Miyabe draws readers into the amorphous world of Internet chat rooms-a world of people from all walks of life attracted by the possibility of being whomever they want to be.
Police investigating the murder of a middle-aged office worker discover e-mail correspondence on the victim's computer that indicates he had been a regular participant in an In...more
Published June 2010 by philippe Picquier (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Du sang sur la toile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Du sang sur la toile

Jessica
Extremely impressive.

Like Seicho Matsumoto, another favorite Japanese crime novelist, Miyabe is less interested in keeping the reader guessing 'who did it?' than in showing us how the detective(s) come to discover the murderer, and in this case, wring a confession. Miyabe is equally interested in exploring a social problem: in the last novel I read, All She Was Worth, it was the world of credit, loans, personal debt and bankruptcy; here it's the fantasy/alternate life the Internet provides.

Astut...more
Brittany
Jan 06, 2008 Brittany rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery enthusiasts
Shadow Family is an interesting look, via a mystery story, into the universe of online role-playing. The odd thing about this particular role-play is that a girl has other people role-playing her own family, after finding her own less than attentive, let alone supportive. Though at times this framework seems a bit to literal for those of us who grew up in the age of going online and interacting with others (as an escape mechanism or otherwise) it's still an interesting read nonetheless.
Drew
If you’re looking for a great modern Japanese piece of mystery/crime noir, check out Miyabe’s Shadow Family. I had read her other book, All She Was Worth awhile back and wasn’t overly happy with how the story ended. That wasn’t the case this time around. Shadow Family is a fabulous novel whose action revolves around a small cast of characters. Most of the action takes place inside a police interrogation room, although what is going on isn’t what you’d expect. This relatively short novel (~ 190 p...more
Gerald Kinro
Police investigating the murder of a middle-aged office worker and his young over discover that he had been a regular in an internet chat site where he is the “father” in a make believe family. Other participants are a young girl, a young boy, and a middle-aged woman, the “mother”. All four are drawn into this fantasy family because of less than ideal situations with their real families. A female detective is assigned to protect the real daughter of the murder victim, for she claims to being sta...more
Djinnjer
It's hard to talk about a mystery, especially one as short as Shadow Family, without giving too much away. What I am comfortable saying is that the story is not exactly what I'd expected from the summary, but not in the way which makes me cringe and wonder if the blurb writer even read the same book. Rather, to have said too much would have dampened my enjoyment of the revelations made throughout the novel. The author slowly pulls back layer after layer of stories and role-play, to expose the tr...more
emi Bevacqua
I like reading Japanese stuff and generally stick to the well-known ones like Haruki Murakami and Banana Yoshimoto; I'd never heard of Miyuki Miyabe before, and would totally read more of her writing (a bunch of the characters have a past together so I'm assuming this is a sequel or follow up novel). This was a super quick read, a murder mystery involving four unrelated people who meet online and form an imaginary "family". Most of the drama actually takes place at the police station, in the int...more
Kirsti
Terrific novel, just as good as All She Was Worth. Definitely kept me guessing, and there's a big twist at the end, AFTER you find out whodunit. I wish more of Miyabe's books were available in English.
Novia
After being captivated by Crossfire, I always want to read something else by Miyuki Miyabe. I really like the way she tells her story. Shadow Family takes place 4 years after the incident in Crossfire. We once again meet Chikako Ishizu, a police officer who is now already being demotion because of her case in Crossfire.

This time, Miyuki Miyabe doesn’t turn her book into a killing spree and full of action like before, Shadow Family is more into psychological thriller rather than full action polic...more
Michelle
Shadow Family is a mystery story. Two people get murdered within a couple of days of each other, and seemingly unrelated. But thread from a striking blue parka left on both crime scenes soon prove to the police that things are more than meets the eye. Meeting dead end after dead end, one of the officers come up with a theory that could potentially make or break the mystery behind the curious deaths.

And it is here that the story finally starts to reveal itself.

One of the victims had, during the o...more
Savannah
Welcome to the age of technology, where people dissatisfied with their real families can create their own ideal families role-playing online. Harmless fun, right? That's until the cyber-family decides to meet up IRL (in real life), and one of them ends up dead. But who's the murderer? A member of the real family, the cyber-family, or an outsider?

I was happy to see Chikako (from "Crossfire") back in one of Miyabe's novels. She's a great character that I didn't really want to leave behind, and aft...more
Nancy Oakes
Right away, let me tell you that this book is not really "active," in the sense that it is purely psychological. So if you're looking for an action-packed mystery, this is not the one for you. A large number of people totally panned this book because there was very little action between its covers. But, if (like me) you are okay with exploring psychological motivation behind a person's acts, then you'll like this one.

The Metropolitan Police District is investigating two linked murders: a young g...more
Opal
This book focuses on the two murders of a middle-aged man named Ryosuke Tokoroda and a college student named Naoko Imai. Email correspondence from Tokoroda’s computer shows that he’s created a fantasy family on the Internet where he is the father. His real daughter, Kazumi is drawn into the interview process of this “shadow” family and the psychological thriller begins.

What I liked about “Shadow Family” is how believable each and every character was. Takegami is the lead detective in the case an...more
Susan
I just finished Shadow Family by Miyake Miyabe. It was billed as a mystery, and I suppose it was, but it read more like a play. It reminded me of some English mysteries I've read by P.D. James: heavy on character exposition & psychology.

It also suffers (or made me suffer) with "foreign language name discrimination" trouble: one character I only figured out was a woman long after I had formed a mental picture of as a man. Then there was the Takegami/Tokunaga/Tokoroda surname juggling.

The aut...more
Michel Harenczyk
Du sang sur la toile. Le titre français chez Picquier poche.
Le scandale l'isbn ne fonctionne pas ???
Bon polar . Le père est assassiné mais par qui? Une de ses maîtresses à également été tuée quelques jours plus tôt. Mais ce père modèle aimait tant sa femme et sa famille que sur des forums , il avait reproduit sa famille ! Sa fille et sa femme . Un fils c'était joint à eux. Une rencontre physique avait même eut lieu. Alors qui a tué. Belle enquête !
Blake Baguley
うん、面白い。でも、嫌な意味で裏切られてちょっと興ざめ。
わざわざ中身を水増しして厚い文庫本にしなくても良かったと思う。無味乾燥な導入部を切り捨てて(正直、読み出すたびにすぐに眠くなってなかなか読み進められないぐらいつまらない)、そして中間のやりとりを加速させたら、もっと面白かったし、ご法度を犯さずに済んだかもしれない。
あと、会話の中身とか、人と人の間のやりとりとかは、日本のドラマのように現実性を欠いて、そのせいでなかなか本格的にのめりこめなかった。なんでこんなにオーバーなあり得ない感情を描くことが好きなのかはわからない。

実験小説もなかなか好きだし、解説を読んでいく中でさらに「あ、そっか!」と思うところもあり、なかなか手の込んだことをやるなと改めて思った。
これを読んで、宮部ファンにはならないけど、避けようとは思わない。
River Wolfe
A decent reading that provides a good insight on the dysfunctionality of modern Japanese families. However, I find that the bad overshadow the good in Shadow Family. The initial title, RPG (Role-Playing Game), was in my opinion a better title choice. As a detective/mystery story, the plot and ending are too predictable. Although I quite liked the method used by the police force, I could neither relate to the characters nor find them believable. I don't think that the storyline was well-construct...more
After reading Out earlier this year, I've really wanted to read some more Japanese writers and this is just the next book I happened upon. The whole idea of the shadow family could have been really interesting - but it wasn't really fleshed out in the way that I thought it would. I was feeling a bit let down towards the end of the book, but my spirits lifted with one final little twist that I hadn't been expecting. It was an enjoyable read.
Brian
Jan 27, 2009 Brian rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brian by: A Japanese guy in a bookstore.
Shelves: read-2009, asian
It's a mystery set on the fringe of Tokyo. A father has a family and he has a cyber-family. He likes his cyber-family more than his real family. Someone gets killed. Someone gets accused. They talk a lot and then they figure out who did it. Not very mysterious. Kind of a let down. This book was recommended to me by a Japanese bookseller in Kyoto. Last time I seek his advice.
Haziqahm
Eventhough the story was short, personally I find it thought provoking. It made me think of many things. The only turnoff for me was the first chapter where I felt as though I need to memorise every single name that was mentioned. But truthfully, the names that we have to remember were not that many. The rest are just extras. Overall, it is a good read. :)
oOSarahOo
I have to say that this was quite a disappointment to me. I enjoyed reading All She Was Worth (also by Miyabe) very much and expected a book of the same quality but "Shadow Family" just didn't do it for me. I didn't like the characterization much and found the plot slow and quite uninteresting really.
Miodrag Mitic
The underlining idea for this book could have made a much better book if the author was not blindly following the crime genre. A great opportunity missed. I wonder how Natsuo Kirino would have written it. If I had time, I'd re-write it! Perhaps something to do on my next vacation...
Ellen
A Japanese police procedural: a married man and one of his mistresses have been murdered. We sit in on interrogations of the online family (a "shadow family") he had formed, his resigned and apathetic wife and his extremely angry teenage daughter. Not my favorite.
Parallax
Has a premise I've never come across before, good twists, and well laid out characterization. I thought the execution suffered, because too much of the information relayed was in the form of exposition. Lots and lots of exposition. The interrogation scenes were good.
Kylie
This mystery was written in the early days of the internet, and unfortunately the subject matter--relationships in cyber space--is very outdated. It's a clever little police procedural, but it's not gripping like her later books.
Yulia
Not as quick-paced or intricately-woven as Miyabe's "All She Was Worth," but still a well-done psychological who-dunnit concerning internet escapism and family betrayal.
Dani
It was alright, short and a quick read (about 3 or 4 days). A murder mystery involving the internet...nothing increadible but occupied my time nicely.
Katie
I didn't know that this was translated from Japanese until a few chapters in. I'd like to think Japan has some better stuff to offer.
Angie
I read this many months ago. Weird. Contrived. I liked it enough to read it, but I don't think I would recommend it to anyone.
Jean-Pascal
Psychologie très nébuleuse. Roman japonais dont je comprends mal les ressorts. Les effets de surprise tombent à plat.
Marshall
This is a little gem of a book. It's a bit slow, but the premise behind it is brilliant.
  • Tattoo Murder Case
  • Villain
  • GOTH A Novel of Horror
  • Shame in the Blood
  • Tokyo Zodiac Murders (Detective Mitarai's Casebook)
  • And Then
  • The Goddess Chronicle
  • I Haven't Dreamed of Flying for a While
  • Scandal
  • The Hunter: A Detective Takako Otomichi Mystery
  • Anthology of Japanese Literature: From the Earliest Era to the Mid-Nineteenth Century
  • Popular Hits of the Showa Era