Start by marking “My Grandmother's Knitting: Family Stories and Inspired Knits from Top Designers” as Want to Read:
My Grandmother's Knitting: Family Stories and Inspired Knits from Top Designers

My Grandmother's Knitting: Family Stories and Inspired Knits from Top Designers

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Published September 1st 2011 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about My Grandmother's Knitting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Grandmother's Knitting

Donna Holmes
Normally the content accompanying knitting patterns is less interesting to me, but Larissa Brown is a great writer, so the family stories shine with unique details. As a bonus, the patterns are charming, and compelling enough that this is not only a book I would purchase, but read again just for the articles (as they say about Playboy).
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: Excellent mix of patterns (interesting, not weird) and prose (sentimental but not sappy).

This nicely bound medium-sized hardcover is easy to hold and read, with nice large print and excellent pictures and illustrations. The formatting/arrangement of the book is in two sections, first the stories, secondarily the patterns, but they're nicely cross-referenced. Instructions are thoroughly written within the text (my favored format) as well as charted, which is IMO the best way to go a
Anna
The layout of this book is absurd. The stories are upfront and the patterns that are supposed to be inspired by the stories are in section 2. You have to frantically flip back and forth if you want to see the connection. Also, the section on the memories is not written by each contributor, but rather by the editor of the book in a mini-bio/interview. I did not care for that aspect at all. I wanted to hear the designers talk about their memories and inspiration in their own words. Some of the pat ...more
Jenny
I really enjoyed the short articles on the designers and the people who influenced them. I like the patterns in the book even more. It's really fun to see how each parent, grandparent, aunt, or uncle is truly different - they aren't just the prior generation, but they are individuals who had very different influences on the people interviewed, and they are lovingly remembered and revered. I like the wide range of patterns available in the book. Small or large project, intricate or simple, there' ...more
Beth
This book contains stories about famous knitwear designer's families and the design background that those families gave the designer. Then the second half of the book contains designs from each of the featured designers.

I really enjoyed the family stories, it is always fun to see where a designers ideas come from and how their upbringing influenced them. The designs are a good assortment of easy and hard with lace and colorwork included. I can see at least 2 or 3 of the designs that I might knit
Jonna Gjevre
Excellent stories. The Fiddler's Mitts pattern and accompanying narrative are especially well done.
Julie
Larissa Brown interviewed a number of designers about their creative and knitting influences in their early lives—grandmothers, aunts, friends, even a dad—and then compiled patterns that reflected the stories of those inspirational people. I loved the stories and the old photographs. Many of the patterns were very pretty,and beautifully photographed, but I'm not sure if I would knit any of them.
Erin
The stories are short reads, but very cute and inspiring. It was neat to get a glimpse into the lives and development of some big names in knitting design - I especially love the family photos. Most of the patterns are nothing out of the ordinary, but all are something I would make, and a few are even quite innovative.
Joyce
Nice little book. Normally I wouldn't list "craft" books, but this one differs a bit in that it has family stories of knitters, talking about early influences, etc.

I wanted to put this on my list of "read" books mainly to keep it in mind if I decide I can't live without another knitting book ;-)
Kelly
What a lovely knitting book. I especially enjoyed reading about the people who inspired our contemporary designers as I think every knitter fondly remembers the person who taught or encouraged them to knit. I only wish every designer showcased had included a pattern.
Tabitha Beck
No longer on my have to buy list...
there are only 2 patterns in here I can see myself wanting to knit--the cool leaf blanket and the top down hat by Teva Durham...
it's a nice book with lots of interesting stories though...
Virginia
May 08, 2012 Virginia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: KNITTING FANS INTERESTED IN HISTORY
Shelves: knitting
AN INTERESTING BOOK ---A DOZEN TOP KNITTING DESIGNERS AND TEACHERS TELL OF THE PERSON THEY MOST REMEMBER OPENING UP THE WORLD OF KNITTING FOR THEM. PATTERNS ARE ALSO GIVEN FROM EACH DESIGNER.
Larissa Brown
Dec 27, 2013 Larissa Brown added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this, so no review. It was a very fun project, and I hope you like the result.
Jenn
Reviewed on my knitting blog: PassionKnitly
WifeMomKnitter
Like Ms. Brown's other knitting book, "Knitalong", this book is a treasure-trove of stories and patterns.

A book I wouldn't mind owning.
Cayenne
Wonderful personal histories of many famous knitwear designers and the people who influenced them. The patterns are sweet.
Megan
Interesting family stories of many knitting designers and a variety of lovely patterns.
Mereljewels
very nice stories. and great patterns.
James Winterstein
James Winterstein marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Larissa's first novel, Beautiful Wreck, is a time travel love story set in a bleak future and in 10th century Viking Iceland. She's at work on a companion book set in the same world.

An eclectic reader, Larissa's favorite book this year was A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic. She reads speculative fiction, romance, historical fiction and craft books, and has a special love for knitting stitch di
More about Larissa Brown...
Knitalong: Celebrating the Tradition of Knitting Together Beautiful Wreck Demystifying Grantseeking: What You Really Need to Get Grants