Start by marking “My Grandmother's Knitting: Family Stories and Inspired Knits from Top Designers” as Want to Read:
My Grandmother's Knitting: Family Stories and Inspired Knits from Top Designers

My Grandmother's Knitting: Family Stories and Inspired Knits from Top Designers

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  81 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Published September 1st 2011 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about My Grandmother's Knitting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Grandmother's Knitting

Donna Holmes
Aug 01, 2012 Donna Holmes rated it it was amazing
Normally the content accompanying knitting patterns is less interesting to me, but Larissa Brown is a great writer, so the family stories shine with unique details. As a bonus, the patterns are charming, and compelling enough that this is not only a book I would purchase, but read again just for the articles (as they say about Playboy).
Abbey
Mar 27, 2012 Abbey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, knit-crochet
BOTTOM LINE: Excellent mix of patterns (interesting, not weird) and prose (sentimental but not sappy).

This nicely bound medium-sized hardcover is easy to hold and read, with nice large print and excellent pictures and illustrations. The formatting/arrangement of the book is in two sections, first the stories, secondarily the patterns, but they're nicely cross-referenced. Instructions are thoroughly written within the text (my favored format) as well as charted, which is IMO the best way to go a
Anna
Jul 17, 2012 Anna rated it it was ok
The layout of this book is absurd. The stories are upfront and the patterns that are supposed to be inspired by the stories are in section 2. You have to frantically flip back and forth if you want to see the connection. Also, the section on the memories is not written by each contributor, but rather by the editor of the book in a mini-bio/interview. I did not care for that aspect at all. I wanted to hear the designers talk about their memories and inspiration in their own words. Some of the pat ...more
Bibliothekerin
Oct 11, 2015 Bibliothekerin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers, knitting
This book is a keeper! Many, many designers have contributed, notables like Pam Allen, Teva Durham, Leigh Radford, Wendy Bernard, Robin Melanson, Chrissy Gardiner, and younger designers Jared Flood, Cirilia Rose, Ysolda Teague, Kirsten Kapur and Cookie A. Also among the 26 contributors (stories, not designs) are two of my faves, Norah Gaughan and Meg Swansen.

My #1 favorite project is the Fiddler Mitt pattern by Ysolda Teague. Definitely a vintage Nordic look, but updated to be fingerless. LOVE t
Barbara
Dec 31, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it
Loved reading about these designers and where they got their start
Jenny
May 09, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the short articles on the designers and the people who influenced them. I like the patterns in the book even more. It's really fun to see how each parent, grandparent, aunt, or uncle is truly different - they aren't just the prior generation, but they are individuals who had very different influences on the people interviewed, and they are lovingly remembered and revered. I like the wide range of patterns available in the book. Small or large project, intricate or simple, there' ...more
Beth
Feb 26, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it
This book contains stories about famous knitwear designer's families and the design background that those families gave the designer. Then the second half of the book contains designs from each of the featured designers.

I really enjoyed the family stories, it is always fun to see where a designers ideas come from and how their upbringing influenced them. The designs are a good assortment of easy and hard with lace and colorwork included. I can see at least 2 or 3 of the designs that I might knit
Mckinley
Sep 14, 2015 Mckinley rated it did not like it
First half stories, second half patterns.
Jonna Gjevre
Jan 22, 2014 Jonna Gjevre rated it really liked it
Shelves: arts-and-crafts
Excellent stories. The Fiddler's Mitts pattern and accompanying narrative are especially well done.
Julie
Feb 07, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
Larissa Brown interviewed a number of designers about their creative and knitting influences in their early lives—grandmothers, aunts, friends, even a dad—and then compiled patterns that reflected the stories of those inspirational people. I loved the stories and the old photographs. Many of the patterns were very pretty,and beautifully photographed, but I'm not sure if I would knit any of them.
Erin
Mar 07, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
The stories are short reads, but very cute and inspiring. It was neat to get a glimpse into the lives and development of some big names in knitting design - I especially love the family photos. Most of the patterns are nothing out of the ordinary, but all are something I would make, and a few are even quite innovative.
Joyce
Jan 16, 2012 Joyce rated it liked it
Nice little book. Normally I wouldn't list "craft" books, but this one differs a bit in that it has family stories of knitters, talking about early influences, etc.

I wanted to put this on my list of "read" books mainly to keep it in mind if I decide I can't live without another knitting book ;-)
Kelly
Feb 01, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
What a lovely knitting book. I especially enjoyed reading about the people who inspired our contemporary designers as I think every knitter fondly remembers the person who taught or encouraged them to knit. I only wish every designer showcased had included a pattern.
Tabitha Beck
Feb 06, 2012 Tabitha Beck rated it really liked it
Shelves: fibre
No longer on my have to buy list...
there are only 2 patterns in here I can see myself wanting to knit--the cool leaf blanket and the top down hat by Teva Durham...
it's a nice book with lots of interesting stories though...
Virginia
May 08, 2012 Virginia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: KNITTING FANS INTERESTED IN HISTORY
Shelves: knitting
AN INTERESTING BOOK ---A DOZEN TOP KNITTING DESIGNERS AND TEACHERS TELL OF THE PERSON THEY MOST REMEMBER OPENING UP THE WORLD OF KNITTING FOR THEM. PATTERNS ARE ALSO GIVEN FROM EACH DESIGNER.
Larissa Brown
Dec 27, 2013 Larissa Brown added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this, so no review. It was a very fun project, and I hope you like the result.
Jenn
Oct 04, 2012 Jenn rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, knitting
Reviewed on my knitting blog: PassionKnitly
WifeMomKnitter
Feb 28, 2012 WifeMomKnitter rated it really liked it
Like Ms. Brown's other knitting book, "Knitalong", this book is a treasure-trove of stories and patterns.

A book I wouldn't mind owning.
Cayenne
Sep 15, 2011 Cayenne rated it really liked it
Wonderful personal histories of many famous knitwear designers and the people who influenced them. The patterns are sweet.
Deirdre
Mar 08, 2013 Deirdre rated it really liked it
reviewed on my knitting blog here: http://wyvernfriendknits.blogspot.ie/...
Megan
Dec 04, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
Interesting family stories of many knitting designers and a variety of lovely patterns.
Mereljewels
Dec 14, 2013 Mereljewels rated it really liked it
very nice stories. and great patterns.
Courtenay Grabowski
Courtenay Grabowski rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Daledonna
Daledonna rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Kellie
Kellie marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Tricia
Tricia marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Whitney Archer
Whitney Archer rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Larissa's first novel, Beautiful Wreck, is a time travel love story set in a bleak future and in 10th century Viking Iceland. She's at work on a companion book set in the same world.

An eclectic reader, Larissa's favorite book this year was A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic. She reads speculative fiction, romance, historical fiction and craft books, and has a special love for knitting stitch di
More about Larissa Brown...