Start by marking “Shock” as Want to Read:
Shock

Shock

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  2,221 ratings  ·  117 reviews
Robin Cook, master of bestselling medical thrillers, answers the "What's the worst thing that could happen?" question in this plot-twisting novel in which villains with no sense of ethics or social responsibility get their greedy hands on the newest cloning technology. It starts when a couple of Harvard graduate students answer the Wingate Clinic's ad for egg donors. The w...more
Published 2002 by Sperling & Kupfer (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Shock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shock

Terri Lynn
Robin, Robin, Robin, what the hell was going on with you when you were writing this? Were you off your meds? Past deadline and feeling lazy? Going through a drunken spell?

The word Shock describes how I felt reading this. I like the idea behind it but the execution was really sloppy. I suspect even some of the characters were shocked at finding themselves in this book.

Joanna Meissner and her room mate Deborah Cochrane are in a PhD program at Harvard. Joanna is an economics/computer systems major...more
Sukanya Sengupta
I was highly disappointed after reading this book! I never expected such a below average work from Robin Cook! First of all, the story is totally baseless and the end of the story a complete disaster. When I started reading the book, the first 50 pages were interesting. (Spoiler alert from now on) After that I couldn't figure out why would any two Harvard Phd grads go way out of their way and break laws to gain certain information which wouldn't have changed their life anyhow, except for mental...more
Hannah
I picked this book up in a hotel I was staying in (the previous occupant had left it, and the staff had kindly left it for the next patron), and finished only because of the sense of obligation I feel to myself when I get more than ten pages into anything.

Shock was terrible. The exposition was awful, the dialogue atrocious, physically cringe-worthy, and the whole format and arc had the feeling of a trashy midday movie.

Cook has many books published, and if they are all as poor as Shock, I am des...more
Goldenwattle
This book started off well and had it stayed like this I would have given it a 3. But the main characters' inane talk and unbelievably stupid behaviour earned it a 2. They're trying to escape, but stop to examine things and engage in inane talk. Oh come on, this is not believable I wanted to shout. Then they go to visit a doctor for help. Again I wanted to shout, "He's one of them. And don't be so thick and get in that boot of the car." We were told the characters were intelligent, but shown the...more
Bi Xian
It's my opinion that the book was published incomplete. There were a number of inconsistencies and loose ends.

#SPOILER#

1) Why would the Wingate clinic bother paying premium prices to harvest ova when they could have paid the market rate (which would be less suspicious)? Also, why specifically ova from Harvard undergraduates when the nuclear material is removed anyway? The same biological results could have been obtained from just about anybody's eggs. (Eventually the eggs were taken from Nicarag...more
Anastasia
Questa recensione potrebbe sfiorare, giusto giusto quanto la pressione di una piuma, lo spoiler.
Buon libro alla fine, sarebbero tre stelline e mezzo. L'idea di base per la storia non è male, di certo molto inquietante. Si sarebbe accaparrato quattro stelle se non fosse per alcune note negative. In alcuni passaggi è fin troppo inverosimile, in altri arrangiato leggermente male.
- Possiamo persino partire dalle prime 100 pagine, Joanna dovrebbe essere cresciuta in un ambiente borghese, davvero l'id...more
Tonycorvelli
Very disappointed with this book. Read a lot of Robin Cook books and I thought this would have something to do with "shock" since I am a physician. Have no idea where the title came from except that I was shocked he wrote such a bad book with poor characters who were unbelievable. Got the book at a used bookstore where I bought it back to. Very disappointing, there are many books he has written much better. I guess even good authors have a bad day.
Sue
I could barely finish this. I read plenty of books that could be considered far fetched, but this one was just silly. The kicker was one gets a job in a lab and the other gets an office position - both with fictitious identification. No one checks education or job histories. Plus the dialogue was just awful. I've read other Robin Cook novels and have not been this disappointed.

I would have given it less than 1 star if I could.
Dan
Surprisingly poor given how much I've liked the other books by Cook that I've read so far. I suppose when one is prolific, at least one book might turn out not so well. While the premise was interesting, the way events unfolded was so far-fetched and ridiculous as to snap that tenuous thread of credulity, and a completely unsatisfying ending leaving everything hanging, but not cliff-hanger style, more like limp spaghetti.
Karen
I got this on audio at a book sale. Glad it was only .25 The plot sounded good and some parts of it were, but the female leads ridiculous and silly actions made me want to scream. At least I held on to the end, which I did not with another by this author. I love audio and for a quarter I thought I would try again. It may have been that it was audio, but for some reason I kept plodding on even though I actually could not find an ounce of rooting for the 2 woman "stars" of the story. The evil guys...more
Melissa
I would have to agree with some of the other reviews that were less than pleased with the character dialog. I have read a Cook novel previously and thought it was so much better. Maybe writing dialog for young women isn't this author's strong suite? Robin, stick to men for lead characters! The whole idea that they could get jobs at a high security fertility clinic without having their social security cards, just the # memorized, is beyond believable and I was confused with the logic that dressin...more
Sarah Sammis
Shock as a title has many meanings in this mystery from Robin Cook. It refers back to the hospital's history as an insane asylum, it's also the shock of white hair that serves as a clue, and it is the shock that the two protagonists feel when they figure out what is happening at the Wingate Clinic. I suppose too it could be the "shocking" ending which I had guessed but was still delighted to read.

Once again Cook returns to gynecology for his medical thriller. At leas this time his heroines don't...more
Inge (Inge1990)
Het verhaal leest lekker weg en je zit er meteen goed in. Verhaallijn is spannend en er gebeuren een hoop dingen. Hoofdpersonen zijn af en toe nogal naïef als ze er achter proberen te komen wat er met hun gedoneerde eicellen is gebeurt. Uiteindelijk blijkt er veel meer aan de hand te zijn dan enkel het doneren eicellen en deze in te brengen bij onvruchtbare vrouwen. Het verhaal heeft een open einde wat je zelf de mogelijkheid geeft om het einde te bepalen.
James A.
Just finished the medical thriller SHOCK by Robin Cook, the doctor turned novelist. I've enjoyed some of his earlier books like COMA and TOXIN, but this one not nearly as good.

A slow start and muddled plot about two Harvard graduate students who try to solve their financial problems by becoming egg donors at an exclusive private infertility clinic in Boston. Later curiosity about their donated eggs prompts them to get emplyment at the clinic and they discover some horrifying secrets at the clin...more
Shellirk
Wow. I was really disappointed in this book. The two main characters were so uninteresting, scatter brained and wholly unbelievable as educated women that I couldn't form any attachment to either of them.

The plot was good. The writing was banal and the closer to the end I got the more I looked forward to it. I just wanted it to be over.

I really feel sad for the reviewers who were mesmerized, who couldn't put the book down! I'm as confused by them as I am with this mess Robin Cook put out and ac...more
Nayana
This book is not like any of Robin Cook's other works that I have read so far. The book was boring. The characters were flimsy, the plot had many potholes in it. I wonder if he was writing this book for the sake of writing something. All in all,a lousy read.
Ev
The story is ridiculous, however it's entertaining enough to want to finish it. Nothing special though. I can't understand why the book is called Shock? I think this book had potential to be cool if it would have be written by a different author. Hmmmm....

Likes:
- story idea (cloning, organ stealing, etc)
- the bad guy who killed prostitutes in the army, he had potential to be way cooler
- whole book practically takes place over 2 days

Dislikes:
- almost completely unbelievable!
- It had a "made for T...more
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
Joanna and Deborah think they have come up with the perfect plan to make some good amount of money by selling their eggs to a fertility clinic. This decision comes at a heavy price. The girls got more than they bargained for when they decide to assume fake identities to work at the clinic to find out what became of their eggs.
This book was suspenseful. The ending was not as strong as I would have liked but it did keep me interested in the story while I was reading it. The 2 main characters Joan...more
Francisco
Desde luego, no es ni mucho menos la mejor obra de este autor. Bastante poco creíble. Recomendada únicamente para leer en un viaje, pasar el tiempo y olvidarse del libro.
Stephanie
Pink Ama
interesting... not a bad read at all... yet a very weak ending!!
what made the whole book seem like a waste of time!
Though i did enjoy the start and middle.
Arturo Miguel
Awful. Just awful. Characters were not likeable at all and they made stupid choices. I couldn't wait to put it down. Not good.
Kristen
I need to revise my review as I just listened to the ending last night. OK, this was NOT GOOD for a Robin Cook. I expect more from the author of Coma. There were a LOT of loose ends not wrapped up at the end. The whole ending was a letdown after being built up so much for the last three discs.

This was a little slow-moving for a Robin Cook. I found my mind wondering in the middle. The last three disks were great. His two main characters were rather stupid which isn't like him either.
Vivian
The book feels so real it just feels like something that could happen. Two female grad students decide they want to make a little extra money by donating their eggs. After the procedure they realize something is wrong. The place where they donated their eggs isn't just a place to help couples have children it is a secret organization where they carry out controversial stem-cell experiments that no on knows about. The book is fast-paced and keeps you reading. I loved it.
Crystal
This book was the first novel of Robin Cook that I have read. I have heard that a lot of people like his other books better. But I read this as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. I should read it again just to see if I still enjoy it as much as I did before.
It's about two Harvard graduates who stumble across an add for egg donation and the donors in return get a very large sum of money. The girls decide to participate and get a lot more than they bargained for.
Matthew
This book really isnt my type of book, its just something i picked up and kept on reading. This book talks about these two friends that find an ad on the newspaper about donating eggs for money(egg bank). They decide to do it but later htye become curious about what they are doing with the eggs and if her egg has been given to anyone. This suspenseful book would leave some off their seat. Hope anyone that reads this would enjoy.
Lisa James
Robin Cook's thrillers are always creepy because in the medical world, they are always based on scenarios that either HAVE happened, or are completely believable as COULD happen. In this one, he delves into the world of fertility clinics, egg donors, & turns what should for millions of women be a happy event, into a horror story. This is no deviation from the formula of his that WORKS. This will keep you turning the pages.
Amy
I had heard good things by this author, then saw this book was dealing with an infertility clinic which piqued my interest since that is my field, but I wasn't that impressed. The main characters were not extremely likable, and while he did a good job of building the suspense, I felt the ending was a flop (could have used another few pages at least to explain what happened...there were too many loose ends!).
Sheila
When college roommates see an ad offering a lot of money to harvest some of their eggs they jump on it envisioning paying off their student loans and a trip to Italy. Later they decide they want to find out what their "children" are like. They find things at the Wingate Institute are not quite as they seem.

Gee wasn't the chainlink fence with razor wire a clue? I give it ★★★ 's. Pretty typical Robin Cook
Birdeena
Aug 11, 2008 Birdeena rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Birdeena by: HASTINGS BOOKS
I LOVED this book! I would love to see a movie made out of it! The writing kept my imagination running! The only problem if they made a movie without my help is I would probably be disappointed in how it was done...I hope if they did it they would use a noteworthy director! ;o) The book is about in-vitro & what happens to the eggs being used...yeah that is all I will say ;o)! Great book!
Shock by Robin Cook 1 16 Sep 22, 2008 05:18AM
  • The Patient
  • The Wind Dancer/Storm Winds
  • Acts of Nature (Max Freeman, #5)
  • Hermón (Caballo de Troya, #6)
  • Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)
  • Timothy's Game
  • The Genesis Code
  • Double Homicide
  • Do No Harm
  • Pandemic
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b...more
More about Robin Cook...
Outbreak (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #1) Coma Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3) Toxin Contagion