Start by marking “Style and the Man” as Want to Read:
Style and the Man

Style and the Man

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Alan Flusser, one of America's foremost menswear designers, knows fine clothes and where to buy them. He shares all this in his insightful and elegantly written treatise for the man interested in savvy attire. Tuck this volume into a corner of your suitcase and you'll be armed with a connoisseur's knowledge of the dos and don'ts of buying and wearing quality clothes and ho ...more
Published August 30th 1996 by Itbooks

To ask other readers questions about Style and the Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Style and the Man

I think Alan is as far removed from the reality of buying clothes as a person can be.

$3000 for a pair of handmade shoes? Now I don't know if exchange rates hate South African feet but that translates to R30 000 for a pair of shoes. Would you rather have a week long holiday overseas and a pair of shoes, or just a pair of shoes? Ridiculous.

I enjoy his writing style though;
"socks, the step children of accessories"
"only buy clip on suspenders if you also intend on buying a farm"

He also write
Oct 25, 2010 Brian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I'm trying, slowly but surely, to incorporate some of the many, many tips I gleaned from reading this essential treatise on style into my wardrobe. But let's just say that I have a long way to go. I may not be able to afford to shop at the places he recommends, but I can at least take into account some of the good advice he provides on making sure things fit properly. Starting with: you don't wear a large, dummy!
A useful book for learning THE RULES of men's clothing. Some of the advice is outdated, but the principles remain. Flusser's tips on how to fit a suit into a suitcase are top-notch and will be forever useful.

Unfortunately, I failed to find the author's charmingly acerbic style to be charming throughout.
It does what it claims to. Provides bare-bones information on dressing like a gentleman, from a decidedly classic/conservatie frame of mind.
Rod Foglio
The first 100 pages has some great tips, but the last 300, about where to shop are pretty useless (and by now outdated.)
Brandon Michaud
Very informative regarding the aspects of clothing including tailoring and its general rules pertaining to proper fit and style.
Jasper Tran
Jasper Tran marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Laissez Farrell
Laissez Farrell is currently reading it
Nov 22, 2015
MJO Yap marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Bs marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Treehouse marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Joe marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Keith Beck
Keith Beck marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Ben marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Ayyappa S
Ayyappa S marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Janice marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Jesse Spence
Jesse Spence marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Tarik Francis
Tarik Francis marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Tarik Francis
Tarik Francis marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Nathan marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Sam Bialosky
Sam Bialosky marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Galo De
Galo De marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Esquire The Handbook of Style: A Man's Guide to Looking Good
  • As a Gentleman Would Say: Responses to Life's Important (and Sometimes Awkward) Situations
  • The Protein Power Lifeplan
  • Suede: Love and Poison: The Authorised Biography
  • How To Be a Man: A Guide To Style and Behavior For The Modern Gentleman
  • Criminal: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 2
  • By Its Cover: Modern American Book Cover Design
  • The Fundamentals of Fashion Design
  • Best of Enemies: A History of US and Middle East Relations, Part One: 1783-1953
  • Couch Fiction: A Graphic Tale of Psychotherapy