Start by marking “Raw” as Want to Read:
Raw

Raw

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Prepared using basic techniques such as juicing, dehydrating, and blending, raw foods exalt the innate wholesomeness and splendor of fruits and vegetables. Charlie Trotter'¬?s raw-food tasting menus at his Chicago restaurant have showcased raw food at the highest level, while Roxanne Klein'¬?s eponymous restaurant in Larkspur, California, has become a fine-dining destinati ...more
Published October 29th 2003 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Raw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raw

Lisa Vegan
Jul 18, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: experienced raw chefs, vegans, cookbook collectors
I had the good fortune to eat a single meal at Roxanne's in Marin County in California (run by the second author of this book Roxanne Klein). It was maybe the best meal, and definitely the most expensive meal of my life thus far. I am not a raw food fan, but this meal was amazing, and some of what I ate at that meal I see in this book. So I have to recommend it. But, it really is for experienced raw chefs. The recipes are complicated and labor intensive, although I’m sure well worth the effort. ...more
Anna
A cookbook, a photographic essay, this is really a treat to see.

Charlie Trotter was one of the premiere chef owners in Chicago's restaurant culture. He was beloved and respected not only within the professional culinary world but by Chicago's foodies. He was known for his exquisite palate, extraordinary attention to detail, deceptively simple presentation, and creating complex flavors. A generous man, he was always striving to challenge himself and expand his repertoire.

I can't really say that I
Melanie
Dec 08, 2008 Melanie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: vegans, vegetarians, raw fooders, chefs
Megan
Oh Charlie Trotter. Oh Charlie! The pictures in this collection of recipes are gorgeous. Pretty verdant landscapes and almost "portraits" of food. On the other hand, the ingredients in the recipes are ridiculously expensive and hardly common in the everyday kitchen. Useless for your average middle class "chef" but certainly a good coffee table book if you want to show off to your guests.
tl
Aug 14, 2007 tl rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
i’m still not really sure how food that is dehydrated for hours is not really considered cooked. it seems like cheating to me but i guess if it were not for that process, this would be a book of salads. not that there is any thing wrong with that salads are good and the recipes in this book while time consuming and complicated are tasty.
Pamela
Long, intensive recipes. Ingredients I would never have on hand. I only found one recipe I would consider making. The photography is stunning, and if not for that I would have given this book one star. Is a book to impress? Sure. But I wanted a cookbook I could use, not a pretentious show edible artwork.
Jeannette
The pictures were amazing and I'm sure the recipes are delicious, but they were all too impractal for me to make. I don't know where the heck to find half the ingredients on every page, let alone afford them. I'll stick to recipes that I can make with fresh food from my Farmer's Markets.
Emily
The recipes were too exquisite for my kitchen, but the photography was stunning. I enjoyed looking through the recipes and photos and wished that the food I cooked was as presentable.
Gyuri Grell
The recipes seemed overly complicated and lengthy, and I only found one recipe in the whole book that I'd be interested in making.
Sara
i made it to the restaurant this book was inspired by. while the recipes are on the labor intensive side the pictures are pretty.
So
I liked this book but the recipes are a little too fancy for me and ingredients hard to find...
Carolyn
Simply the best book on preparing beautiful gourmet raw food there is.
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Mary Bruno
Mary Bruno marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Somou
Somou marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • Refresh: Contemporary Vegan Recipes from the Award-Winning Fresh Restaurants
  • The Real Food Daily Cookbook: Really Fresh, Really Good, Really Vegetarian
  • Ani's Raw Food Essentials: Recipes and Techniques for Mastering the Art of Live Food
  • Party Vegan
  • The Sunfood Diet Success System
  • Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
  • The Candle Cafe Cookbook: More Than 150 Enlightened Recipes from New York's Renowned Vegan Restaurant
  • Flying Apron's Gluten Free & Vegan Baking Book
  • Get It Ripe: A Fresh Take on Vegan Cooking and Living
  • Soy, Not Oi!
  • Greens Glorious Greens!: More than 140 Ways to Prepare All Those Great-Tasting, Super-Healthy, Beautiful Leafy Greens
Charlie Trotter's Vegetables Charlie Trotter's Charlie Trotter's Desserts Charlie Trotter's Seafood Knife Skills: In the kitchen