Start by marking “Raw” as Want to Read:
Raw

Raw

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  163 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Prepared using basic techniques such as juicing, dehydrating, and blending, raw foods exalt the innate wholesomeness and splendor of fruits and vegetables. Charlie Trotter'?s raw-food tasting menus at his Chicago restaurant have showcased raw food at the highest level, while Roxanne Klein'?s eponymous restaurant in Larkspur, California, has become a fine-dining destination ...more
Published October 29th 2003 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Raw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raw

Anna
Apr 17, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing
A cookbook, a photographic essay, this is really a treat to see.

Charlie Trotter was one of the premiere chef owners in Chicago's restaurant culture. He was beloved and respected not only within the professional culinary world but by Chicago's foodies. He was known for his exquisite palate, extraordinary attention to detail, deceptively simple presentation, and creating complex flavors. A generous man, he was always striving to challenge himself and expand his repertoire.

I can't really say that I
Lisa Vegan
Jul 18, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: experienced raw chefs, vegans, cookbook collectors
I had the good fortune to eat a single meal at Roxanne's in Marin County in California (run by the second author of this book Roxanne Klein). It was maybe the best meal, and definitely the most expensive meal of my life thus far. I am not a raw food fan, but this meal was amazing, and some of what I ate at that meal I see in this book. So I have to recommend it. But, it really is for experienced raw chefs. The recipes are complicated and labor intensive, although I’m sure well worth the effort. ...more
Melanie
Dec 08, 2008 Melanie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: vegans, vegetarians, raw fooders, chefs
Megan
Oct 11, 2008 Megan rated it liked it
Oh Charlie Trotter. Oh Charlie! The pictures in this collection of recipes are gorgeous. Pretty verdant landscapes and almost "portraits" of food. On the other hand, the ingredients in the recipes are ridiculously expensive and hardly common in the everyday kitchen. Useless for your average middle class "chef" but certainly a good coffee table book if you want to show off to your guests.
tl
Aug 14, 2007 tl rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
i’m still not really sure how food that is dehydrated for hours is not really considered cooked. it seems like cheating to me but i guess if it were not for that process, this would be a book of salads. not that there is any thing wrong with that salads are good and the recipes in this book while time consuming and complicated are tasty.
Pamela
Jan 02, 2013 Pamela rated it it was ok
Long, intensive recipes. Ingredients I would never have on hand. I only found one recipe I would consider making. The photography is stunning, and if not for that I would have given this book one star. Is a book to impress? Sure. But I wanted a cookbook I could use, not a pretentious show edible artwork.
Jeannette
May 07, 2009 Jeannette rated it did not like it
Shelves: eat-and-drink
The pictures were amazing and I'm sure the recipes are delicious, but they were all too impractal for me to make. I don't know where the heck to find half the ingredients on every page, let alone afford them. I'll stick to recipes that I can make with fresh food from my Farmer's Markets.
Emily
Apr 28, 2015 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vegan, cookbook
The recipes were too exquisite for my kitchen, but the photography was stunning. I enjoyed looking through the recipes and photos and wished that the food I cooked was as presentable.
Gyuri Grell
Jun 16, 2009 Gyuri Grell rated it did not like it
The recipes seemed overly complicated and lengthy, and I only found one recipe in the whole book that I'd be interested in making.
Sara
Feb 28, 2009 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: home-library
i made it to the restaurant this book was inspired by. while the recipes are on the labor intensive side the pictures are pretty.
So
Jun 30, 2009 So rated it liked it
I liked this book but the recipes are a little too fancy for me and ingredients hard to find...
Carolyn
Dec 21, 2008 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vegetarian
Simply the best book on preparing beautiful gourmet raw food there is.
Geoffrey Smith
Apr 18, 2015 Geoffrey Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Great intro to gourmet raw food
Eva North
Eva North marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
kathryn rafnson
kathryn rafnson marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Bri McNeary
Bri McNeary marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Sarah added it
Apr 15, 2016
Efraim Simcha
Efraim Simcha marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Alexandros Katsonis
Alexandros Katsonis marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Jessica Tang
Jessica Tang rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Kyleigh Rapanos-Harrison
Kyleigh Rapanos-Harrison marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Ameena Imani Joy
Ameena Imani Joy rated it did not like it
Mar 08, 2016
Mariana Taylor
Mariana Taylor marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Andrew Runkle
Andrew Runkle marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Ian Lee
Ian Lee marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • The Real Food Daily Cookbook: Really Fresh, Really Good, Really Vegetarian
  • Ani's Raw Food Essentials: Recipes and Techniques for Mastering the Art of Live Food
  • Party Vegan
  • Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
  • The Sunfood Diet Success System
  • The Candle Cafe Cookbook: More Than 150 Enlightened Recipes from New York's Renowned Vegan Restaurant
  • Refresh: Contemporary Vegan Recipes from the Award-Winning Fresh Restaurants