Start by marking “Smoke and Shadows (Tony Foster, #1)” as Want to Read:
Smoke and Shadows (Tony Foster, #1)

Smoke and Shadows (Tony Foster #1)

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  2,601 Ratings  ·  133 Reviews
Tony, rescued from Toronto streets by vampire Henry Fitzroy, works on Vancouver TV detective show where shadows do not behave like shadows. Arra, special effects wizard, is a real wizard from another world destroyed by the Shadowlord, whose minions followed her here. When hetero star Lee is possessed by a minion, homosexual Tony gets lover Henry to press Arra for help.
Published April 6th 2004 by DAW (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Smoke and Shadows, please sign up.

Tina Romance, certainly. Very clear, no hiding behind the bushes her, tho ... it doesn't, if you will, get as far as Tony might WANT it to get? :)

But yep.…more

But yep. Legit and treated seriously.(less)

Miriam
Jun 22, 2008 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Tony Foster, a secondary character from Huff's Victoria Nelson series, has moved away from Toronto to find himself as a non-addict, non-hustling adult. And also to get away from the all the weird shit that keeps happening with vampires and mummies.

Unfortunately, evil wizards from another dimension pick this year to invade.

The scene set in a Vancouver TV studio, and I liked with way Huff made the shooting schedule matter to the ridiculous plot, because the characters are all "ZOMG WE MUST SAVE
Kaje Harper
This book is a comfort-reread for me, usually followed by the whole series because it takes three novels (+/- the related short story) to get to the HEA. And that just barely. But I love Tony Foster and the people around him.

To understand every nuance of this series, you need to have read the previous "Blood" series, beginning with Blood Price. Those books are the story of vampire Henry Fitzroy and ex-cop Victoria Nelson. But from the first book, Henry, who is bi, also has a relationship with To
Nancy
The book is so bad I can't even finish it. It is neither funny nor scary, the plot drags, the dialogue and the writing are clumsy, and there is not one single interesting character.
Olga Godim
Jan 24, 2012 Olga Godim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
An unusual urban fantasy. Tony works as a production assistant for a third-rate TV serial about a vampire detective. He is young, gay, and fascinated by television. He wants to be a director.
Arra works for the same serial as a special effects wizard. She is middle age, grumpy, and doesn’t like anyone to come down to her basement special effects domain. But when strange shadows started infringing on the show, stranger facts emerge. Arra is really a wizard. She escaped from a murderous sorcerer S
amireal
Apr 07, 2007 amireal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the first in the series that spins off her Blood series. It takes Tony, a relatively minor character from before and turns him into the main. Though you don't have to read the other series to understand this one, this book does spoil how the other one ends.

The story is light compared to much fiction, especially compared to the series it spun off of, its tone has a feel that you'd recognize if you read a lot of fanfiction. But that doesn't detract. It has humor and wryness and a sens
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This had so much promise but the story is boring and slow. I was also very discombobulated with the POV changing from character to character in the middle of dialog or a descriptive paragraph. It was so jarring and confusing I would have to reread the page to figure out where the POV changed. Usually it wasn't even clear. I think remaining with one character's perspective until a section break is as important as punctuation in a book.

I'm also confused about these relationships because two of the
Kerry
Oct 16, 2012 Kerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 7, 2005
I find Tanya Huff a mixed bag. I liked all the Vicki Nelson books (even if some of the themes did get a bit disturbing by the time we got to Huff's riff on Frankenstein's monster) and the first Keeper book. I found the second in that series so-so and never finished the third. Most of her others haven't done anything special for me, although I did like her early pair of books about Crystal. All of this meant I ordered Smoke and Shadows when it came out, but didn't rush to read it.

This is sort of
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
I never cared much for Tony in the previous series (Blood Series). I didn't dislike him, but just didn't pay much mind to the minor character. I was curious how it would be pulled off making him the primary protagonist, and as a character it turns out I enjoy him more now. His older street jargon has been replaced with more proper speech - we're informed this has been encouraged by Henry "offstage." My favorite parts really involved Henry, as I always loved the character. Tony isn't as exciting ...more
Angela
Dec 21, 2008 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
For those of you who are fans of the Vicki Nelson "Blood" series by Tanya Huff, the "Smoke" series is a followup trilogy to that--starring Tony, the former street kid who was Vicki's source and later Henry's companion. It's a solid story, and it's nice to see what happened to Tony and Henry once they moved to Vancouver following the tail end of the Vicki books.

It won't be a surprise to anyone familiar with Huff's writing, but for those of you who aren't, it's also a nice switch to have an urban
Punk
Jul 03, 2009 Punk rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, vampires, fantasy
Supernatural/Mystery. So Tony (ex-street kid!) and Henry (bastard son of Henry VIII! once Duke of Richmond and Somerset! Vampire! Prince of Man!) move to Vancouver and fight crime. Or extraworldly darkness, whatever. Tony's working as a production assistant on a television show about a vampire detective and his human sidekick (hm, sounds familiar), and suddenly things get creepy. The shadows don't want to stay put.

Tony's a much different narrator than Vicki. He's more playful, makes pop culture
Lightreads
Trilogy about a gay production assistant on a, by all appearances quite terrible, Canadian vampire detective show.

Hey, check it out, these are books I actually finished!

So, I could just say 'too much boyfriend: not enough production assistanting,' and leave it at that. But actually I don't think that really gets at the problem.

These are quirky, well-intentioned, fun little books about a former street hustler turned PA turned wizard. I remember people talking excitedly about them ten years ago, t
Nel-ly
Tony Foster chtěl zapomenout, že existuje nějaký jiný svět než ten, který je znám obyčejným lidem. Potom, co opustil svého patrona - starobylého upíra, který ho odvedl z ulice, vzal pod svá křídla a pozval do domu, srdce i do postele -, chce začít budovat kariíru u filmu. Když se však objeví Stíny, zdá se, že klidný život, který si naplánoval je jen zoufalým přáním. Všechno ve filmovém studiu jde od desetí pěti od chvíle, co se najde tělo mrtvé herečky...

Teď však Tony začíná nový život ve filmov
Ashley D--
Normally I like books that involve even one of these three things: vampires, Vancouver, or the gays. Smoke and Shadows has all three! Unfortunately, the book was missing the key fourth ingredient: talent.

The references to Vancouver were heavy-handed but mildly enjoyable, if sometimes inaccurate. The gay content was enjoyably subtle in some parts (it's not treated as an "issue"), but terribly stereotypical in others. I got the impression that Tanya Huff was a straight woman who hated gay men and
Korynn
Jan 24, 2011 Korynn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fifantasy
I wanted to like this book about a man who has to save the Earth from magical evil invasion while keeping his day job as a television production assistant but it was really hard. Perhaps because it just seemed so stilted that he had to fight evil twice a day and still pretend everything was normal. Maybe because he spent a ridiculous amount of time repeating himself over and over again to the woman who had the power to fight the evil, but insisted she was done with the whole fighting evil thing ...more
An Odd1
Sep 11, 2013 An Odd1 rated it did not like it
Shelves: xrate
Xrated. Tony, rescued from Toronto streets by vampire Henry Fitzroy, works Vancouver TV set for vampire cop show. Boring tech jargon details intersperse with shadows not behacing like normal shadows. Finally actress dies alone in trailer -- from fright?

Naturally consult basement wizard of special effects middling-aged Arra, who confesses she is truly a wizard from another world destroyed by the Shadowlord. His minions followed her through a gate, and possess show star Lee Nicholson. The heteros
Angel Martinez
Jul 04, 2009 Angel Martinez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay-fantasy
Oh, this was fun! I do so love Henry Fitzroy and have since the first moment we met him, oh, five books or so ago, but Tony has always held a special place in my heart as well.

I'd say they grow up so fast but Tony was eighteen pushing fifty when we met him. Now, with a chance of a life of his own, a career and burgenoing magical powers...well, Tanya Huff's dark humor and wonderfully painted characters are what keep me coming back again and again.
Katrina Michaels
Tony from the Blood Books is now on his own, or as much as Henry will let him, and actually working on the set of a vampire detective show. Yes, he appreciates the irony. Working as the show's PA, he finds himself dealing not only with egotistical actors but unexplained deaths and nosy detectives. Loved this book, witty humor and Tony is just a great character.
Wealhtheow
This is a spinoff of the Blood Ties series, which I never read. Tony, a former hustler who had a relationship with the vampire Henry Fitzroy (yes, the illegitimite child of Henry VIII) has struck out on his own and is now working on a tv show about a vampire detective. Evil hijinks ensue. The characters and dialogue are clunky and the jokes are far from clever, but it's readable.
Stephanie
Sep 07, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got it from the library and read it in one sitting. Oops.
Kim
May 23, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tony's further adventures with Henry were a fun way to stay in the vampire world Huff created. :)
Stephen Poltz
Feb 21, 2017 Stephen Poltz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Smoke and Shadows” is a series by Tanya Huff that follows a supporting character from the Blood novels. Tony, an ex-junkie and hustler, has gotten clean and sober with the help of vampire Henry and is now working as a production assistant on a Canadian TV series about a vampire detective. Despite all the inaccuracies, considering he was in a relationship with a vampire, he likes his job. But strange things begin to happen around the studio. First he notices that the shadows seem to have a mind ...more
Kathy
Tony Foster – 24 – belongs to Henry Fitzroy… but having negotiated a freedom of sorts, as Henry’s better side does his best to acknowledge Tony’s right to be Tony. Tony has a job – working as an assistant on a “Darkest Night” vampire TV show set, has his own apartment – and he and Henry are friends… that talk, and don’t have sex, and where one doesn’t drink blood from the other, and…

Arra Pelindrake – wizard from another world – a world in which the Shadowmaster had taken over the their world, de
Rachael L Moore
I have a bit of a "problem" in that it's typically far easier for me to analyze (especially in a bid for humorous analysis) why I don't like something versus why I do like something. This means that I mostly review things I don't like, or at least dwell in the review on what I didn't like. In hopes of balancing this, I'm embarking on a project to backfill reviews for my favorites shelf.

It's just that, when I like something there doesn't seem to be much to say. I liked it. Reading it made me smil
Vanessa
If "The story of a former street kid turned PA on the set of a vampire detective show, stumbling once again into supernatural adventures his actual-vampire ex boyfriend took him away from" written by Tanya Huff doesn't convince you to read this book, I will add that this story is full of wonderfully quirky and charming side characters and raise you that Tony has an absolutely adorable crush on the second lead actor of his show, that is actually taken serious and rest my case.

I will rec this tri
 Marla
Anne Jindra
Oct 05, 2016 Anne Jindra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lights, Camera, Action. Everyone knows the words, but Smoke and Shadows takes you behind the scenes in an Urban Fantasy Thriller. Life is good at CB Productions- or as good as it gets for an overworked staff in love with their work- and if you worked for Chester Bane you'd better be in love with your work. But when shadows start to bend from more than just special effects, a street smart PA finds himself speed dialing a number he was thinking about leaving behind.

It helps you keep your cool when
Andreea
In the midst of a busy summer, it was great to just kick back and read a simple, undemanding, sci-fi novel. Tanya Huff has written many vampire books including the "Blood" series which I've heard is much better than this series.

Tony is the main protagonist who somehow ends up working on a film set for a vampire movie. The irony of this is no doubt intentional, since Tony has known the vampire Henry for a while. The setting strikes me as very funny for some reason - I guess it's not everyday that
Ingo
Oct 01, 2013 Ingo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Started September 21st 2013.
As I know the Bloodlines-Series by Tanya Huff and liked it a lot I thought I could not go wrong with this series.
It is about another character from the Bloodlines-Series, Tony, and I struggle to finish it.
To make matters worse, I bought the two other Smoke-Books in the series, before even beginning this one.
So far I am not sure, if when i will read these two, when I have trouble finishing this one.
Not liking the main character and missing Vikky from Bloodline does n
Louise
Jun 24, 2007 Louise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: slashers
Weirdly, there were a number of punctuation typos in this book, particularly towards the end. Full stops instead of commas, odd things like that. Various people have recommended Tanya Huff to me before, but I kept picking up her novels in bookshops, thinking 'am I really going to enjoy this?' then putting them back down. But this one sold me on having Tony the gay production assistant working on a show about a vampire detective. Coincidentally, Tony's ex is an actual vampire detective, called He ...more
Guy Haley
Dec 11, 2015 Guy Haley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There’s plenty to loathe about this book. It’s vampire fic with a street-smarts hero who behaves like a camp Tintin. It’s set on the set of a TV show where everyone is as hopeless as they think they are. It’s also Canadian, and as those prone to making sweeping generalisations all know, Canadians are dull.

Excepting of course, that Smoke and Shadows is a rollicking good read. In it Tony, the auxiliary of Henry, the 450 year-old vampire star of Huff’s Blood series, takes centre stage. He’s now an
  • Kirith Kirin
  • Bloodcircle (Vampire Files, #3)
  • The Virtu (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #2)
  • Turnskin
  • Brazen (Channeling Morpheus, #6)
  • Urban Shaman
  • Angels of the Deep
  • Infected: Prey (Infected, #1)
  • The Archer's Heart
  • Children of the Night (Diana Tregarde, #2)
  • Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2)
  • Traitor's Moon (Nightrunner, #3)
  • Immortality is the Suck (Adam & Peter, #1)
1967
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s
More about Tanya Huff...

Tony Foster (4 books)
  • Smoke and Mirrors (Tony Foster #2)
  • Smoke and Ashes (Tony Foster #3)
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives

“It took him forever to get to downtown Vancouver although Tony had to admit that saving the world by public transportation was a particularly Canadian way to do things.” 44 likes
“I'm sorry."
About what?"
He shrugged, made uncomfortable by the question."I'm not sure. It's a Canadian thing.”
18 likes