Start by marking “Dinotopia: The World Beneath” as Want to Read:
Dinotopia: The World Beneath

Dinotopia: The World Beneath (Dinotopia)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,957 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
The long-awaited, eagerly anticipated sequel to Dinotopia, the award-winning book about the extraordinary land where dinosaurs and humans live in peaceful interdependence, begins a thrilling, new chapter of high adventure. The mysterious depths of the island present an irresistible lure to Arthur Denison, who organizes an expedition into The World Beneath. 160 color illust ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 160 pages
Published 1995 by Turner Publications Inc

Mitch
May 02, 2012 Mitch rated it it was amazing
Once in awhile, I like to review classic books of the 90s, the stuff that first got me into reading. High up on that list is 1992's Dinotopia, but very near the top is its 1996 sequel, The World Beneath. I don't use amazing, magical, pure genius, or any of those adjectives much at all, but this is the rare book that I don't hesitate to lavish with praise.

First of all, this is the only time I'll ever recommend getting the hardcover - don't waste time with the paperback, there's a huge difference.
GoldGato
I am always amazed at anyone who can illustrate their visions, which is one reason I purchased this book. Children are not the only ones who will enjoy this as the artwork is lavish and incredibly logical. Sure, why couldn't dinosaurs and humans work and live together in one harmonious community? I certainly bought it. The writing doesn't match the art, but that's okay, as the pictures tell the story. The page showing 'Stinktooth', a Giganotosaurus, with its stinky mouth wide open is alone worth ...more
Travis Mueller
Jun 27, 2014 Travis Mueller rated it liked it
Andrew Long
Jan 30, 2011 Andrew Long rated it it was ok
Gurney's sophomore effort falls short of his first owing principally to a break from the first-person narrative of a found journal that worked so well in the first book. The third-person omniscient narrator draws us deeper into the mythology but greatly hurts suspension of disbelief. Illustrations are as strong as always.
Seth Noorzad
fucking awesome
Kanna
Mar 19, 2016 Kanna rated it it was amazing
The continuation of the first main book, Dinotopia. It continues Arthur and Will Denison's journey through their new life on Dinotopia as they meet new people and solidify their new way of life in the realm of Dinosaurs that walk alongside humans. It's immensely enriched with detailed landscape art on the various scenes they encounter. The book also includes multiple prehistoric species of not only dinosaurs, but aquatic life and has extensive anatomy detailing certain creatures. It's simply lov ...more
David
Mar 01, 2016 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The World Beneath, sequel to the first beloved Dinotopia, has many of the things that made the first book so spectacular--namely amazing art, and and interesting world. This time around it even has a plot, unlike the first one which was essentially plot-less, although I would argue that it was to the book's benefit and that the plot here is to this book's detriment. More on that later.

It's a simple adventure story that steals heavily from the Atlantis myth. There's a labyrinth of caves undernea
Traitor
Nov 23, 2014 Traitor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english
For years I didn't know that any sequels to the original Dinotopia exist. Now I finally managed to read the second volume (and look at the illustrations in it!). The illustrations still have the same magic as in the original, but the quality of the text is clearly inferior:
For one thing, it was quite a bad idea of Gurney's to switch from a diary style to normal third-person narrative. This unfavourably emphasizes the simple structure of "This happened. And then that. And another thing." Hence, t
seak
Jul 29, 2010 seak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, arc-review
The best way to describe Dinotopia: The World Beneath is it's like a Disneyland theme park ride in your head. The production of this audiobook is just amazing. The characters walk by a stream and you hear the stream babbling by. Dragons fly by and you hear the roar. I was really impressed with this fun, short romp through Dinotopia.
When Arthur Denison leads an expedition deep into the mysterious caverns of The World Beneath, they discover strange mechanical walking machines shaped like dinosaurs
Fiver
Dec 11, 2009 Fiver rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
'The World Beneath' is the sequel to James Gurney's 'Dinotopia'.
In it, the story of Arthur and Will Denison is continued, and the audience is treated to another wonderful (and I mean full of wonder) journey through Dinotopia. In books that are heavily dependent on pictures such as those in this series, a sequel truly does tend to be good simply for providing more material (that is to say, the new paintings are still gorgeous to look at).

Although this sequel begins to slip slightly into base a
Drew Graham
Jun 16, 2015 Drew Graham rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
Having shipwrecked on the shores of the uncharted island of Dinotopia, scientist Arthur Denison and his son Will have acclimated to living among its human and dinosaur residents, and grown to love and appreciate the society of their new home. This sequel to Dinotopia: A Land Apart From Time follows the further semi-adventures of the Denisons as Will takes to the skies as a skybax rider and Arthur goes underground to discover more of the history of Dinotopia, along with dubious scalawag Lee Crabb ...more
S. J.
Aug 08, 2012 S. J. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of the first volume, dinosaur fans, steampunk fans
Recommended to S. by: The series
*5+ Stars*

*The Gush*
As I stated in my review of the first book in this series, this was one of the major series of my childhood. I read the first book a dozen times over...and then the sequel was published. I bought it basically as soon as it came out and have treasured it ever since. I was so excited that another whole book with beautiful paintings and a great story would add to my knowledge of such a strange and intriguing place, and it does not disappoint.
The World Beneath tells of the furth
Larissa
Feb 02, 2014 Larissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read these with my four year old daughter over the last couple of weeks. She loved them! They are full of color pictures so she didn't mind listening to the all the words. There were quite a few words she didn't understand, but it was great because then I got to explain them to her!

The world of Dinotopia is so magical. I really enjoyed the story. This second installment is fantastic. Sort of Indiana Jones with dinosaurs and giant ancient robots. What's not to love about that!
Chris
His books are always wonderful to read. In the second part of the Dinotopia series, we learn about a world underneath Dinotopia that was once full of life. Arthur and Will both set out on adventures, one for training, and the other to learn more about the caves underneath the cities.

It is these discoveries that lead to new problems taking place on the island. Arthur discovers that there are old machines that were built to resemble dinosaurs and he wonders just what they were really used for and
Anna
I started out reading this feeling disappointed because Gurney moved away from the diary aspect of the story and turned it simply into a third person narrative. It took away some of the magic and I think it affected how close the reader could get to the characters.

That said, the illustrations were gorgeous, as usual. I would love to get some of his work on my wall. I think the story was a bit weaker in some places, like with the strutters and the magic sun stones (I also noticed that Will's stor
Emkoshka
Nowhere near as good as the first Dinotopia book. I was really looking forward to exploring the underground wonders of Dintopia's predecessor civilisation, but the third-person narration jarred, the storytelling was rushed and left no room for mystery, and the artwork was nowhere near as intricate as I had hoped for. Good, but disappointing.
Jules
Jun 22, 2012 Jules rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book with my kids (aged 4, 2, and 1), so the review reflects my opinion and my kids' reaction to the book. This book is absolutely stunning. The pictures alone could be studied for hours, and the text is a great frame for the pictures. My only real judgement of the book is that at times the text seems to hang on the illustrations, whereas the first Dinotopia book seemed more balanced. The sequel has similar elements to the first such as fake biological notes, feigned historical resea ...more
Susan
Aug 21, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The main rule on Dinotopia, the lost island continent, is that its existence must be kept secret from the outside world. But scientist Arthur Denison and his son Will are determined to explore the roots of Dinotopia's past, and that may have unintended consequences. As always, the art work is gorgeous.
Christopher
Nov 21, 2015 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
sequel to the first Dinotopia. This one is more of a narrative story, as the characters have been on the island for five years now. Again, the illustrations are a marvel. Gurney truly captures the vision and imagination.
Lyl Lyl
Apr 02, 2014 Lyl Lyl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another incredible story with amazing artwork and clever character design. The interactions and the illustrations make the book pull at the imagination, drawing you into a world you can almost believe could be real.
Joaquin
Feb 25, 2014 Joaquin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books of all time. It introduced me to so many new ideas as a child. The artwork is absolutely phenomenal and thought provoking. I will be collecting them all for my children to read.
Joel
Apr 16, 2014 Joel rated it really liked it
As with the first Dinotopia book, the artwork remains the main reason to read it, but this time around the story itself is much more engaging and carries with it the adventurous tone of a Jules Verne story.
Harris
Dec 26, 2015 Harris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Earlier this year, after moving into my new place, I dug up some of the boxes in my parent’s basement to consolidate and prune my collections. Of course, digging up some childhood favorites, I had to pause to flip through them again, reminding me of days past when there was plenty of time to read, whether on hot summer days or cold winter nights. Many of these books were Christmas or birthday gifts, of course, the inscriptions from family members still scrawled on the inside covers, 1988, 1990, ...more
The Brothers
Asher (7yo) read. This time the adventures in Dinotopia go beneath the surface. The main characters go underground to find sun crystals. His favorite part was when they destroyed the evil strutter.

Illustrations awesome as always!
Sarah Schanze
Much stronger than First Flight (though it did come out before that, and I'm reading them out of order, haha). There was even more art and a better written story.
papasteve
Jun 18, 2016 papasteve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful adventure story about how collaboration over powers greed.
Heather
read this when i was a kid. pretty decent.
Sara
Mar 29, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know that many have complained that this book is not as compelling as the first because it is no longer a series of journal entries. I agree that the journal approach is novel and very engaging. however, we really enjoyed this book. I would say that for a storyline it's really only 3 1/2 stars. It's interesting and slightly memorable but not exceptional. The illustration, however, is worth at least two stars entirely on its own if not more. The real storytelling is in the illustration.
Nickcole
Jan 08, 2016 Nickcole rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was in elementary school and I fell in love and the best part was when James Gurney came to our school and read these books to us. So ever since then, they have held a special place in my heart.

The story continues with Aurthur going in the World Beneath and Will continuing on his journey to become a master skybax rider. With the "help" of Lee Crab and someone else Aurthur makes his way beneath the world and finds some amazing discovers.
Angie
Apr 20, 2013 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was obsessed with these books, and every time I re-read them I remember why: who WOULDN'T want to live in such a culturally rich and exciting utopia full of dinosaurs?!? Still remember pedaling furiously down the hill in my old neighborhood on a bike that I had re-named Cumulus, imagining myself as an intrepid Skybax rider on my faithful saurian steed. Gurney's artwork and world-building are nothing short of delightful.
  • River Quest (Dinotopia, #2)
  • Dinotopia Lost
  • Lost City (Dinotopia, #4)
  • Hatchling (Dinotopia, #3)
  • The Maze (Dinotopia, #8)
  • Firestorm (Dinotopia, #7)
  • Rescue Party (Dinotopia, #9)
  • Oasis (Dinotopia, #16)
  • Chomper (Dinotopia, #11)
  • Voyage of the Basset
  • Survive! (Dinotopia, #13)
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • Greyhaven
  • Llana of Gathol/John Carter of Mars (Barsoom, #10-11)
  • Calvin and Hobbes 1: Thereby Hangs a Tale
  • Masquerade
  • 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories
Born June 14, 1958 in Glendale, California. Raised in Palo Alto, the youngest of five children of Joanna and Robert Gurney (a mechanical engineer). Earned a B.A. in Anthropology in 1979 with Phi Beta Kappa honors from the University of California at Berkeley. Studied painting at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena,California, where he met his wife Jeanette. In 1984 they moved to the Hudso ...more
More about James Gurney...

Dinotopia (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Windchaser (Dinotopia, #1)
  • River Quest (Dinotopia, #2)
  • Hatchling (Dinotopia, #3)
  • Lost City (Dinotopia, #4)
  • Sabertooth Mountain (Dinotopia, #5)
  • Thunder Falls (Dinotopia, #6)
  • Firestorm (Dinotopia, #7)
  • The Maze (Dinotopia, #8)
  • Rescue Party (Dinotopia, #9)
  • Sky Dance (Dinotopia, #10)