Start by marking “Altars Of Unhewn Stone: Science And The Earth” as Want to Read:
Altars Of Unhewn Stone: Science And The Earth

Altars Of Unhewn Stone: Science And The Earth

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  4 reviews
A fresh and engaging look at some serious modern problems: the failure of the family farm, the erosion of soil and the decline in farm yields, and the accelerating and irrevocable loss of biological and cultural information.
Published September 1st 1987 by North Point Press

To ask other readers questions about Altars Of Unhewn Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Altars Of Unhewn Stone

Mila Paul
Wes Jackson is my hero. This book was the first revolutionary text I found before I read Michael Pollan or Bill McKibben. Jackson makes the reader think about the world in a different way, ecologically and in terms of society. A classic, and he's still alive!
Patti
Wes Jackson is one of the wise men of our time, but unfortunately one whose views are not been considered in how we grow our food. There is an active movement afoot however to inform the new administration of the other way of thinking. This book was first published in 1987, it is time.

Here is an excerpt from the chapter, "Farm Debt".
"If the government is interested in continuing to subsidize agriculture, it should concentrate on supporting the farmer as part of a rural community, instead of pass
Toothy_grin
It was humbling to read the thoughts of Wes Jackson: I felt kind of like a kid sitting at his grandfather's knee. This is a wise man who is sharing his insights. Jackson is like Wendell Berry's scientist brother, and, like Berry, has been a much-overlooked voice of social and environmental sanity for a long time. I had to keep reminding myself that this was written in the 1980s. The world would be a much better place if it were guided more by what Jackson has to tell us.
Reba Chin
I can't get over the fact that this book was written over 20 years ago! What he is saying regarding sustainability and agribusiness by extension is amazingly still relevant (obviously!) but seriously, where have we all been and why haven't we been paying attention to this issue!
Joshua Tapp
Joshua Tapp marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Damian
Damian is currently reading it
May 23, 2015
Kevin Spicer
Kevin Spicer marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Davis
Davis marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
David Hughes
David Hughes marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
K. W
K. W marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Ferrel Rose
Ferrel Rose marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Garrett King
Garrett King marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Preston Lovette
Preston Lovette marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Dan Gobble
Dan Gobble marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Billy
Billy marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Ivan
Ivan marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Sandeep Mertia
Sandeep Mertia marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Cynthia Skelton
Cynthia Skelton marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Aodhan Hemeon-mcmahon
Aodhan Hemeon-mcmahon marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Cynthiking
Cynthiking marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Becoming Native to This Place New Roots for Agriculture (New Edition) Consulting the Genius of the Place: An Ecological Approach to a New Agriculture Nature as Measure: The Selected Essays of Wes Jackson Meeting the Expectations of the Land: Essays in Sustainable Agriculture and Stewardship