Start by marking “Without Mercy (Sean Dillion, #13)” as Want to Read:
Without Mercy (Sean Dillion, #13)

Without Mercy (Sean Dillon #13)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,568 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
On the pavement, Hannah Bernstein was trying to haul herself up, clutching at the railings as Dillon got to her. "You're all right, just hold on to me." But there was blood coming down her face, and he was afraid.

In Jack Higgins's acclaimed bestseller Dark Justice, intelligence operative Sean Dillon and his colleagues in Britain and the United States beat back a terrible
Published August 23rd 2005 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about Without Mercy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Without Mercy

Nicole
Apr 17, 2007 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are a quick reader like me (aka tend to skim alot) the common names of good guys and bad guys and get lost in your head and confuse you! But the story was interesting! Quick read, good for the spy genre type of person.
Kristin R
This is just one of many in the Sean Dillon Series. They are all exciting and plot driven and will keep you on the edge of your seat. The locations of this series are not set strictly in Ireland, but there is always some time spent there as well other countries, usually England. Dillon and his team are up against Russian spies in this adventure and seeking revenge for their fallen team member.
Candice
Jul 28, 2010 Candice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of Higgins' better books. I like most of them, but this one had many different interlocking stories and plots. It was a very quick read and well worth it. Exciting and emotional if you are a Higgins fan.
Henri Moreaux
Quality of this series has definitely been on a downhill slide for the last 4 novels. Without Mercy is moderately better than the last three, but not by much.

Reading about Sean Dillon flying about with one or two other people in a near supersonic (972 km/h) Citation X jet sipping champagne whilst calling home base on his magical codex secure mobile phone to look up the next plot development in "cyberspace" has certainly devalued the thrill of this espionage thriller series.

Gone are the days of
Toni Osborne
Feb 08, 2009 Toni Osborne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was totally disappointed with this novel. The plot is weak and predictable, the story jumps all over and it looses continuity and rhythm. I found the characters plain silly and unbelievable and the whole story lacks originality, not very inventive and out dated. Not one of Higgins best.
Brooke
Jun 26, 2009 Brooke rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The number of characters in this book were overwhelming, it was hard to keep track of them all. It had a little action & some twists & turns, but nothing fancy.
David
May 27, 2011 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found the narrative a bit naive at times.
Alex Gherzo
Feb 03, 2016 Alex Gherzo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book over a month ago and haven't been able to gather the wherewithal to write about it. That should tell you all you need to know about Without Mercy. I love Jack Higgins' Sean Dillon series, and though there have been a few lesser entries here and there, this is the first one I really disliked. Without Mercy should've been one of the darkest, most violent, most emotionally-charged Sean Dillon adventures of all, but it's just a mess. It feels like two books that had nothing to d ...more
Matt
Matt Willett
11-19-10
6th hour
Without Mercy
Without Mercy is a book about the IRA and a special agency in the U.S that have been longtime nemesis’ in trying to prevent the other from succeeding in tasks. Over the years some of the main characters from the U.S including; Sean Dillon, Hannah Berstein, Charles Ferguson and a few other have killed an taken care of many IRA members. The main plot is that Putin, Belov, Levin and other leaders of the IRA want to get rid of the Americans so they will cause
Andrea
Mar 20, 2013 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Picking up where Higgins' Dark Justice left off, Sean Dillon and colleagues seek revenge on the Russian agents responsible for murdering their colleague. The Russians themselves, however, are not too happy with Dillon for killing their man, billionaire and former KGB official Josef Belov. With the death of Belov, Russia's prospects for a steady flow of oil out of Iraq are threatened; so the Kremlin institutes a new plot to gain control of Belovs' company and get rid of Dillon and team.

When I sta
Will
Aug 27, 2013 Will rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Action adventure junkies
Denise Flynn
This was a so so read.Irish, Russian, US and UK politics and intrigue. Lots of characters leapt about in various chapters leaving me a little 'dizzy' and at times I had to check back because I felt I'd missed something. This isn't something that I have to do usually and so I have to put it down to the writing.

I wouldn't advise against reading the book, I just wouldn't put it high up the priority list to read.
Ed
#13 in the Sean Dillon series.

Sean Dillon and the Prime Ministers secret force seek revenge when injured Hannah Bernstein is murdered in her hospital bed by a nurse sympathetic to the IRA. The nurse is murdered to leave no trail but Dillon traces her back through the IRA to the Russians attempting mask the death at Dillon's hand of industrialist Belov.
Layla
Dec 21, 2011 Layla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: easy read
An easy, diverting read. Good for a waiting room or layover.

Technology has taken much away from the espionage novel and "Without Mercy" is one of its victims. The novel is much more like "Mission Impossible" then Higgin's earlier works. Espionage was once the realm of resourceful outsiders making do with what they could get their hands on, it's now up to bored multimillionaires to defend the realm. It's just not the same.

I prefer the earlier novels because I was more able to connect with the ch
Ricardo
Aug 29, 2015 Ricardo rated it it was ok
This series is okay most of the time. It would be much easier to take Sean Dillon seriously if he wasn't in his mid 50's, a big drinker and smoker, who did not consume a bottle of champagne every time he took the government jet to go on a mission. It's like reading the cartoon version of James Bond
Debbie
Feb 16, 2016 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine my horror when I realized I left this book on the chair before my week long vacation...half read...I was going to miss my Sean Dillon very much. Harry Bosch stood in very nicely, but I was glad to get back to Sean and finish up.
Good book as usual..thank you Mr. Higgins!
Claude
Jul 26, 2014 Claude rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Sadly this thriller didn't thrill in fact the more Jack Higgins novels I read the less thrilling they are. You start to see the formulaic writing and massive doses of luck the protagonist's have not to mention lack of character development.
Mr R.F.C. Davis
Feb 22, 2016 Mr R.F.C. Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never fails to please

Unsustainable had to finish in one read. Didn't please her indoors cos she didn't get the chores she wanted me to do done
John Gilchrist
hannah bernstein killed. team up with gangsters to foght the bad guys.
actor impersonates killed ceo. try to mess up deal to give away govt to russian partners
Barb
This was of the older Sean Dillon adventures but old or new I enjoy his character and the books. Can't wait for another new one from Jack Higgins.
Mick
Feb 22, 2016 Mick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Jack Higgins book I've read. I really didn't care for it. Maybe if I was more familiar with the characters it would have seemed better. For the most part, there was very little character development, and the story seemed poorly written except for the last part. (How many times in one story can you drink and eat?) There was very little detail and inadequate descriptions in many parts. Also, for special agents and spies, these people didn't seem too bright at times. Overall, it w ...more
Sue Storino
Dec 17, 2015 Sue Storino rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Usually love Jack Higgins but this was hard to get through.
Diane Smoak
A good "who done it" although somewhat predictable.
Ron
Mar 07, 2014 Ron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just wish that the storyline wasn't so predictable.
Bev
Dec 12, 2015 Bev rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced and interesting. Quite a quick read.
Marjorie
Being I worked at Brainerd Library as assistant children's librarian for four years.... I was situated NEAR the friends of the library book sale room.... And these Higgins books were .25 each!! Now don't be thinking I was reading while working!! No, no!! I took them home, read them & brought them back so the books could be resold!!! Good entertainment for me, good source of revenue for" Friends"!!!
Rebecca
Book 13 in the Dillon sequence. Excellent really enjoyed that - always do. Events followed on directly from the end of book 12 Dark Justice. For this book especially it won't make a lot of sense if read out of order or as a stand alone but for someone used to the series it hits the right spot and leaves you with an opening ready for the next book. I personally can't wait!
Kester
Oct 19, 2007 Kester rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Higgins I've read. A spy thriller so distilled down to the genre essentials it's almost self-parody. The characters spend nearly every scene drinking liquor, shooting each other, or eating English Breakfast and discussing the recent shooting/drinking. Very entertaining, though.
Rob & Liz
Dec 12, 2007 Rob & Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great thriller based on current events and leaders.
How various undercover areas know each other and the working of governments at the highest level.
A great do not disturb me book asd I'm busy reading this book in case the pages vapourize on me before I finish.
Rob
Jan
Nov 18, 2013 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
Another good Sean Dillon book. I think I read or listened to this one many years ago, as the story was familiar. But it was great to read again. There are still a few in this series I haven't listened to, so on with the next!
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 0007199457 (ISBN13: 9780007199457) 2 16 Dec 29, 2012 05:03PM
  • Red Notice (Tom Buckingham, #1)
  • The Hit List
  • Spy Sinker (Bernard Samson, #6)
  • Retribution (Lew Fonesca, #2)
  • Maigret and the Nahour Case
  • Treasure of the Golden Cheetah (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #5)
  • Traitor (Stratton, #6)
  • The Day Trader
  • Undiplomatic Murder (Capital Crimes #27)
  • The Wooden Man
  • That Day the Rabbi Left Town
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...

Sean Dillon (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1)
  • Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2)
  • On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)
  • Angel of Death (Sean Dillon, #4)
  • Drink with the Devil (Sean Dillon #5)
  • The President's Daughter (Sean Dillon #6)
  • The White House Connection (Sean Dillon, #7)
  • Day of Reckoning (Sean Dillon, #8)
  • Edge of Danger (Sean Dillon, #9)
  • Midnight Runner (Sean Dillon, #10)