Start by marking “Pop: The Genius of Andy Warhol” as Want to Read:
Pop: The Genius of Andy Warhol

Pop: The Genius of Andy Warhol

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A major reassessment of the most influential and controversial American artist of the second half of the twentieth century

To his critics, he was the cynical magus of a movement that debased high art and reduced it to a commodity. To his admirers, he was the most important artist since Picasso. Indisputably, Andy Warhol redefined what art could be. As the quintessential Po
Published 2009 by !T

To ask other readers questions about Pop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pop

Tosh
Yes another Warhol bio, and do we need another one? Well, actually yes. And he's not even my favorite artist, but nevertheless without a doubt one of the more important people who came out of the 20th Century. And this book by Scherman and David Dalton (a goo bio writer and ghost writer of sorts) captures Warhol at the peak of his greatness. And more important I think his decades (the late 50's and through out the 60's) was even more great than him, if that's possible.

Warhol was not the first ar
Eyehavenofilter
The most self obsessed human on the planet cons the entire art world and becomes the first real art "icon". I had to hold my breath to keep to bile from exploding from my mouth every 5 seconds, whilst reading.
I will never understand how an OCD nhilalistic, narcissist, no talent ever got such a following, I guess he was the first king of Public Relations, and Publicity!
But than there are the Kardashians..... Which proves that there is no such thing as class and taste any more.
this is where it al
Craig Werner
Slightly gossipy, readable biography that does a good job of setting Warhol in the art world(s) of the fifties and early sixties. Scherman provides a clear picture of the transition from abstract impressionism to pop in the gallery world, and presents the strong case for Warhol as a, maybe the, major artist of the decade. The vignettes of life in Warhol's various studios, including the first incarnation of The Factory are lively and entertaining. Like many biographers, Scherman has clearly been ...more
Katerina
I barely made it through the 100s page and had to stop at 106th. The amount of names that are being mentioned, are hard to follow. The description of Warhols' type of art technique is probably interesting but it made me realize that I have absolutely no interest as to how he did it nor why. I honestly expected to read and be fascinated as to how his relationships were with his family, his colleagues - which by no mistake were described in the book, but by no means did it captivate me. It made me ...more
Kathleen
Certainly more than I ever needed or wanted to know about the man. Excellent index, nice pix, loads of information. I could flop this book open at any page and be instantly absorbed; the material is well presented.
Nenia Campbell

|| Twitter || || Facebook || || Booklikes || Pinterest ||

First off: I am not dead. I am just working about 40-50 hours a week. I haven't been reading or writing, and life is just really stressful right now. Really stressful.

Disclaimer: I have never found the 60s inspirational, nostalgic, or fascinating. I think hippies are stupid. I think 60s music is overhyped, discordant, and, for the most part, terrible. And, with very few exceptions, I am not a fan of the art. Andy Warhol is (sort of)
Roberta
If you're a Warhol afficionado, you will wolf down this 448 page entertaining, gossipy and fact-filled tome. The book is an in-depth retelling of Warhol's life from birth to near-death gunshot wounds from Valerie Solanis in 1968, dwelling mostly on the pop art/Factory years up until the Solanis incident. Post gunshot Andy to his death in 1987 is dealt with in a short epilogue -- the Genius of Warhol was in flower in the 60s. The rest was just so much glitz and glitter. You'll love the breezy wri ...more
Marco Kaye
POP! THE GENIUS OF ANDY WARHOL

Great biography of Andy, highlighting his most productive years during the 60s. There were many interesting facts, such as the fact that Warhol paid one of his friends, an interior designer Muriel Latow, $50 because he was out of ideas. She took the money and said he should paint, "Something you see every day and something that everybody would recognize. Something like a can of Campbell's Soup." The original set was bought for $1,000 by Irving Blum, who later sold i
Madeleine
Mar 14, 2012 Madeleine is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: andy-warhol, own
333 pages in and already I would recommend it as one of the best biographies on Andy Warhol. It's always going to be hard to say a certain biography/portrayal of Warhol was objective, or rather more objective, than another. Such is the nature of Andy Warhol. The idea of a mirror constantly comes up when reading about Warhol - that he was a mirror, when you tried to look inside Warhol, to discover him, you would end up seeing, not Warhol, but rather a reflection of yourself. From my readings, I w ...more
Cindy Feigert
Our bookclub is reading biographies this month. I chose Andy Warhol because I visited The
Warhol museum this summer. So I thought I would like to learn more about him and I did. It was an interesting look at the rise of Andy's career and the rise of pop culture. But for me this was a hard read at times because of all the names and characters. I found myself glossing over parts of the book. I'm sure if you are more of an art expert than I you would find this book impressive.
Rob Atkinson
Believe it or not, the last word HADN'T been written on Andy Warhol! This gripping work focuses exclusively on his best, most innovative period, from his 1961 painting debut to his shooting by Valerie Solanas in 1968, and through exhaustive research and copious interviews brings to light loads of new material, encompassing Warhol's private life, his vastly influential artworks, and the infamous Factory scene which whirled around him. Very insightful analysis enhances the authors' exhaustively de ...more
Joan
The main reason why I wanted to read this book is because I'm fascinated with fame and while I Warhol is famous, I didn't know that he yearned for fame from a very young age. He also kind of reinvented what fame is and changed not only the art world, but also how we perceive art, both in art museums and in movies and magazines. I can see why men get the attention in paintings and movies now. Not only are they more driven generally, but they have more of an obsessiion with art than women. Althoug ...more
Kevin
I'm not sure I buy the "genius" of Andy Warhol, but this book does have a lot of fascinating details. I remember when I found my first copy of Interview magazine and had a postcard of one of his Marilyns. He seemed like the ultimate pop culture provocateur at the time. This book made me see a lot more of his banal side. I don't think that was the author's point, but I no longer have any desire to time travel back to The Factory or to hang with Andy.
Jana
I enjoyed reading the first half of the book that describes how Warhol got started in art (and life) which was what I was interested in. I was less interested in the Factory and creepy stuff that went on there, so was satisfied to skim the rest of this very thick, engaging book. If I didn't have a pile of more tempting books waiting for me I'd have finished it. I recommend it to anyone interested in knowing everything about Warhol.
Terri
This is a nice companion to Popism; it offers a perspective at a bit greater distance, both of time and of personal separation, than that 1980 memoir (which is still probably my favorite of all the Warhol books I've read). This feels like a pretty reliable examination of Warhol's ascent and peak in terms of scholarship, argument, and presentation. Recommended.
Rebecca
I didn't altogether finish this book, but it proved extremely helpful in writing my research paper about Andy Warhol for my Great Ideas final. It was interesting and insightful, and I appreciated its thoroughness in presenting all sides of a story, as Warhol tended to be rather elusive and even intentionally misleading about his life and art.
doug
Loved this book. Great portrait of mid-60's NYC art-freak underground and mainly focused on (let's be honest here)Warhol's most interesting period. Touched upon his probable homosexuality but surmised that even taking that into account Andy was just a weird bird. A genius, line in the sand kind of guy, but also truly deeply strange.
Phoebe
I last read the very well-put-together YA biography Prince of Pop, but this particular adult bio got a really good review in the newspaper--it is detailed, lengthy, graphic, and totally fascinating, written by two giants in the music and pop culture journalism world.
Rob Woodard
Good overview of Warhol's 1960's work. Not much new here for the hardcore fans (like me), but this book would make a solid introduction for those not in the know.
Patricia
So weird because I am ambivalent towards Warhol's art but am completely fascinated by reading about him. Stories about Edie Sedgwick were quite depressing.
Kacper
after this book, i decided to buy the rights to eee eeee eeee and make my own movie and be rich, and also to sell some of my rainbow drawings.
Jack Goodstein
Warhol's decade of greatness, the sixities from the soup cans to the underground movies. Lots of gossip about the hangers on.
Sweaty
good book. i like reading anything about warhol.
Skylar
Skylar marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Andre Oliveira
Andre Oliveira is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2015
  • The Architect of Desire
  • Born under Saturn: The Character and Conduct of Artists
  • Georgia O'Keeffe
  • Museum: Behind the Scenes at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
  • A Clearing in the Distance: Frederick Law Olmsted and America in the 19th Century
  • Our Life in Gardens
  • Jackson Pollock: An American Saga
  • A Giacometti Portrait
  • False Impressions: The Hunt for Big-Time Art Fakes
Backbeat: Earl Palmer's Story The Jazz Musician Andy Warhol: His Controversial Life, Art And Colourful Times The Rock Musician: 15 Years of the interviews - The best of Musician Magazine Backbeat: Earl Palmer's Story