Start by marking “Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriots” as Want to Read:
Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriots

Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriots

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  134 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Solid Snake is a soldier and part of a worldwide nanotechnology network known as the Sons of the Patriots. Time is running out for Snake though, as he will soon succumb to the FOXDIE virus, but not before spreading the disease to nearly everyone he encounters, in essence becoming a walking biological weapon. Snake will need every advantage he can get, as the SOP network is ...more
Published June 19th 2012 by Haikasoru (first published November 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Metal Gear Solid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metal Gear Solid

Halo by Eric S. NylundAssassin's Creed by Oliver BowdenBioShock by John ShirleyAssassin's Creed by Oliver BowdenAssassin's Creed by Oliver Bowden
Video Game Novels/Trades
136th out of 247 books — 272 voters
Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime by Mizuki NomuraSpice & Wolf, Vol. 1 by Isuna HasekuraThe Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya by Nagaru TanigawaBook Girl and the Corrupted Angel by Mizuki NomuraKino no Tabi by Keiichi Sigsawa
Best Japanese Light Novels
27th out of 51 books — 39 voters

More lists with this book...

Mars Dorian
Sep 12, 2014 Mars Dorian rated it really liked it
I luv the MGS games. I played most of them all - except Guns of the Patriots, hence this novel.

I feared reading a sub-standard novelization but got a kick-ass sci-fi military novel with sharp prose and wonderful philosophical ideas about war, economy, control and what it means to be human in a militarized world.

Since the author wanted this novel to be read by folks who don't know the series, he included a LOT of backstory to the explain each character. Sometimes it felt as if 1/3 of the book was
Donna
Nov 30, 2014 Donna rated it it was ok
I am going to admit that I couldn't finish the entire thing, it dragged on to the point where it was almost as painful as (view spoiler) it was interesting being told by Hal's point of view of this happening to his dear friend, but, i am going to be honest...It wasn't as fun as the video game. Put the book down and pick up the game instead.
Whitby Syme
Aug 03, 2013 Whitby Syme rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The Metal Gear Solid series of games are my favourite work of fiction. The story is astoundingly ambitious, taking place over 50 years and asking questions about war, patriotism, economics, subtle control of the public, genetic and memetic inheritance, and many other things. It's set in a world in which a handful of people determine world events, and where a secret cold war plays out between two groups with different responses to the same guiding principle - that soldiers should not be carelessl ...more
Alex James
Aug 28, 2015 Alex James rated it it was amazing
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots by Project Itoh -- 5/5 stars

I was impressed, to say the least. I didn’t have very high expectations for this novel, after my experience with the first two Metal Gear Solid novels. The first two novels weren’t bad, by any means, but they read like very accurate representations of the first two games, and although I enjoyed those novels, they lacked a voice of their own, in my opinion.

This was different. From the outset the novel was a unique read. I enjoye
Peter Marendeak
Jun 16, 2014 Peter Marendeak rated it liked it
A játékok mindegyike kimaradt számomra és ezen erőteljesen érződött, hogy elsősorban a rajongóknak íródott. A sztorit attól még így is lehetett követni szerencsére.
Azt értem, hogy a játék sztoriját szorosan kellett követnie, de ettől még nehéz volt végigolvasni a szereplők szenvedéseit (és hogy gyakorlatilag mindent kibírnak) és gyakran irreális és logikátlan viselkedésüket.
Rajongók olvassák, amúgy kihagyható.
John
Nov 03, 2014 John rated it did not like it
I stopped reading at the 100 page mark.

I thought i'd buy this instead of a PS3 to find out what happened, and it was not a good value for money tradeoff.

Not sure if the plot of the game is terrible, the novelisations is terrible, or the translation is terrible - but something's not right.

I'd rather re-read https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
Solidmixer
May 10, 2013 Solidmixer rated it liked it
It's hard to explain this book... Metal Gear Solid 4 was a shoddily written "ending" to a series in a direction it wasn't really supposed to go, so the story is full of melodrama and over-the-top sequences to really hammer in that the canon timeline is over. That being said, Project Itoh gives a great take on Hideo Kojima's wrap-up conclusion to the saga, and even throws in a creative angle by giving the main narration to Snake's partner Otacon. It was a fun read for me, knowing where it would e ...more
Jimmy Logan
Jun 02, 2016 Jimmy Logan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Great Read for MGS fans!

If you're a fan of MGS then this is worth picking up especially if you like MGS4! RIP Project Itoh.
Zach
Jul 21, 2012 Zach rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
If you haven't played and finished every game in the Metal Gear Solid video game series, this sci-fi novel will be very hard to follow, but on the other hand the novel is also a direct translation of the events of MGS 4, offering nothing new to fans of the series, and any thrill the action scenes might have contained are drained by a writing style that alternates between flat and forced.
Steffi
Nov 06, 2012 Steffi rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this as a Goodreads giveaway. I liked the book. I did find some things a little difficult to understand but it didn't make the rest of the story confusing. I'm actually playing the game right now and the book actually helps make the game make a bit more sense. I liked how the book kept flashbacking to scenes from the first games.
Amina
Aug 05, 2013 Amina rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book this summer 13' Being a big fan of the MGS Franchise i absolutely loved the book especially from it coming from Otacons side. Although I didn't cry at the ending playing the game i certainty cried reading it. it moves me emotionally. and I give this a 5/5
Joel
Sep 04, 2012 Joel rated it really liked it
It does a fine job of translating the game and some of the franchise's history. That being said, those familiar with the Metal Gear series will probably get more from the book than the regular reader. On its own, I think it's still a great read.
Lucas Araujo
Aug 15, 2012 Lucas Araujo rated it really liked it
Shelves: books, english, 2012, paperback
Despite the author say that the book "stands complete on its own", I don't think it will please someone that are not familiar with the whole Metal Gear Saga.
For those who are familiar with such, I think this is a really nice book.
Paul
Jul 02, 2012 Paul rated it it was amazing

Very well written and faithful adaptation of the last game with more emphasis on character and thought. Best of the adaptations in the series by 1,000,000!
Regine
Nov 02, 2013 Regine rated it it was amazing
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Mark Osborne
Oct 19, 2013 Mark Osborne rated it really liked it
A great action thriller although not quite as good as the previous two.
Carlos C
Feb 28, 2013 Carlos C rated it it was amazing
good graphics
Gabriela García Donoso
May 11, 2013 Gabriela García Donoso rated it it was amazing
Beautiful.
Jonah Rombro
Jonah Rombro marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Jigfejrwi
Jigfejrwi marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Natasha Creedon
Natasha Creedon rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Demetrius
Demetrius marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
MissFujoshi
MissFujoshi marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Brandon4009
Brandon4009 marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Miguel Luna
Miguel Luna rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Candle Alice
Candle Alice marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Lexi Rodz
Lexi Rodz rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
Sean Johnstone
Sean Johnstone marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
F.MeQwar
F.MeQwar marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
  • Sons of Liberty
  • Metal Gear Solid: Omnibus (Tactical Espionage Action: Metal Gear Solid, #1-4)
  • Good Luck, Yukikaze (Yukikaze, #2)
  • Crest of the Stars 1: Princess of the Empire (Seikai no Monshou, #1)
  • M.A.X. Muscle Plan, The
  • Just Honor God: The 27-Day Challenge
  • Ico: Castle in the Mist
  • A History Renewed (The Mercer Legacy, #2)
  • Andy the Spider
  • Gypsy Spirit: What My Boat Taught Me About Love And Life
  • Quiet Killing (Promise McNeal Mystery #2)
  • A Window on the Universe
  • Green To Go (Buck Reilly Adventure #2)
  • The Lord of the Sands of Time
  • Usurper of the Sun
  • It's a Love Game
  • MM9
  • Changes From a Sunset
Project Itoh (伊藤 計劃 Itō Keikaku?), real name Satoshi Itō (伊藤 聡 Itō Satoshi?, October 14, 1974 – March 20, 2009), was a Japanese science fiction writer.

Born in Tokyo and graduated Musashino Art University. While working as a web designer, he wrote Gyakusatsu kikan and submitted to Komatsu Sakyō Award contest in 2006. Although it did not receive the award, it was published from Hayakawa Publishing i
More about Project Itoh...