Start by marking “The Magic Flute (Die Zauberflote) in Full Score” as Want to Read:
The Magic Flute (Die Zauberflote) in Full Score

The Magic Flute (Die Zauberflote) in Full Score

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  16 reviews
"…it is the evident quiet approbation which best pleases me! It is apparent that this opera is rising rapidly and steadily in estimation." — Mozart, letter to his wife, October 7-8, 1791.
Unfortunately, his tragic death a scant two months later prevented Mozart from ever realizing the full accuracy of this observation, made a few performances after the cool reception given
Published January 1st 1985 by Dover Publications (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Magic Flute (Die Zauberflote) in Full Score, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic Flute (Die Zauberflote) in Full Score

The Tin Drum by Günter GrassThe Magic Flute (Die Zauberflote) in Full Score by Wolfgang Amadeus MozartCorelli's Mandolin by Louis de BernièresThe Piano by Jane CampionThe Pied Piper of Hamelin by Robert Browning
Musical Instruments
2nd out of 132 books — 53 voters
Ludwig van Beethoven by Ludwig van BeethovenComplete Preludes, Nocturnes and Waltzes by Frédéric ChopinPeer-Gynt Suites by Edvard GriegThe Barber of Seville by Gioacchino RossiniPink Floyd - Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
Favourite Music (Scores)
9th out of 121 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Huda Aweys
نجمتين للحكاية العبيطة و حبكتها الزفت :))) اللي شبه حكايات المكتبة الخضراء ( و موش معنى كده اني باقول ان حكايات المكتبة الخضراء بهذا السوء ، لكن كل الحكاية :) انها و اشباهها مابقيتش ترضي عقول و ارواح ناس في اعمارنا ! ) ، و نجمة للمزيكا و الأوبرا ...
*****
كنت باتناقش مع صديقة عن المزيكا و الأوبرا فزودتني بمعلومة جديدة عن ماسونية موتسارت :) ماكنتش اعرف عن الموضوع دا قبل كده الحقيقة لكنها دللت لي عليه بأوبرا (الفلوت السحري) بالذات و ماكتب عنها فكان لازم أطلع عليها ...، ابتديت بالبحث عنها و بقراءة م
Manny
Earlier this evening, Not and I attended a free staging of The Magic Flute given by Piccolo Opera, Geneva's opera school. Most of the performers were students at the school, ranging in age from about five to fifteen. They were reinforced by a few adults, who lent their voices at critical moments or sang parts too low for the children to reach. (One of our CERN friends was Sarastro, which was how we'd got to hear about it). The technical standard was dreadful, but it was a wonderful performance a ...more
Forrest
This edition of Die Zauberflöte by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was the first full "book" I read in German, so I have a bit of a soft spot in my heart for this opera. Though I'm sure that there is some sinister Masonic propaganda at work, probably with the end result that we will all work as stone-cutter slaves in the new glorious reign of the 14th Grand Master Dragon of the East Wind of the Masonic Order of Golden Dawn (or whatever), I couldn't help but enjoy the over-riding strangeness of the plot ...more
Elizabeth
So awesomely racist and sexist, but it was written in 1791. What did I expect? Interesting enough though, with all the racist and sexist parts, the priest worship the goddess Isis. Huh?
Mary Overton
Complete libretto of THE MAGIC FLUTE

My favorite character is Papageno, holy fool & sidekick to Tamino, a spiritually questing hero.
Papageno introduces himself:
"I'm the bird-catcher, who's always happy!
Hi ho!
I'm known all over by young and old.
I know how to whistle every sound,
and I know all the birdcalls.
That's why I can be merry and happy,
because all the birds are mine.
I'd like to have a net to catch girls by the dozens.
I would lock them safely at home so they'd all be mine.
When they'd be
Jesús Cardeña Morales
Siempre me ha gustado el aria de la Reina de la Noche, pero una vez leído el libreto, aún no tengo ni idea de qué me ha querido decir el autor. Como ópera puede ser una obra grandiosa, pero como argumento... cojea bastante, posiblemente porque sea verdad que lo que realmente oculta es un mensaje masónico.
Jelly Kate
It's a wonderful opera. My favorite is the aria Der Holle Rache, which has a horrible meaning but is an incredibly beautiful aria. The Queen of the Night is not a nice character but the aria is one of the most beautiful I've ever heard. Sumi Jo sings it particularly well.

This book, the Black Dog Opera Library's Magic Flute, includes the complete opera on audio CDs, the complete libretto, a translation of the libretto, and information on the history of the opera The Magic Flute. It's a great intr
Jill
This is my first exposure to the whole story of the Magic Flute, it's really been fun to listen and watch the opera on TV while reading the book (which has the English and German side by side). I'm not really fond of the illustrations in this book, but it served its purpose - English translation! Who knew the beautiful song, Queen of the Night, is really a mother's demand of her daughter to murder her foe?! Papageno is an easily enjoyed character - very funny and good comrade for Tamino.
Sammy
May 01, 2012 Sammy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: opera
One of the most ridiculous operas ever, yet also one of the most delightful. Little more need to be said. The full "Magic Flute" is a rather confusing mess, largely because of the different way that opera was consumed in Mozart's day, but it can make for an entertaining night at the theatre however done, which is why it remains one of the most popular works in the canon!
lily
Pamina was sad that her husband couldn't talk to her during his trial, but they still got married. Papageno and Papagena are so funny. Sarastro married Tamino and Pamina together. My favorite part is the Queen of the Night song.
Bryce Wilson
The music is wonderful, but even for someone as Un PC as me the story of The Magic Flute has always been a little bit weird. Remember kids happiness can only be obtained by submitting to the every whim of patriarchal Masonic priest.
The Cute Little Brown-haired girl
I want this book for my birthday! It is so cool! Mozart, opera, cartoon, goofy, racist, English and German, serious, and just plain cool. I must have it! I must!!!
One of my absolute favorite operas. I fell in love with it even more after I read this for a university class that interpreted it in the context of the hero's journey.
Alma
I read the German, reclam edition and listened to a recording along with it. Was awesome!
Can't remember when I read it, sometime in secondary school.
Line
Jun 08, 2011 Line marked it as to-read
I totally want this!!! It'd do a fantastic Playreading evening!!! HOW COOL!!!!!
Mr. Pe Mr. Pe
this is a great book and i recommend it to everyone
Fernanda
Fernanda marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Maritza Arteaga
Maritza Arteaga marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Omnya
Omnya marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Ammar Mhd
Ammar Mhd marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
  • Tristan et Isolde
  • La Ronde
  • The Freud Reader
  • Madame Butterfly
  • The Messiah: An Oratorio Complete Vocal Score
  • Das Fräulein von Scuderi
  • Four Major Plays, Vol. 2: Ghosts / An Enemy of the People / The Lady from the Sea / John Gabriel Borkman
  • The Lord Chandos Letter: And Other Writings
  • Happy Birthday, Türke!
  • Heldenplatz
  • Selections from the Carmina Burana: A New Verse Translation
22051
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart full name Johann Chrysostom Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was a prolific and influential composer of the Classical era. He composed over six hundred works, many acknowledged as pinnacles of symphonic, concertante, chamber, piano, operatic, and choral music. He is among the most enduringly popular of classical composers.

Mozart showed prodigious ability from his earliest childhood
More about Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart...
The Marriage of Figaro (Le Nozze Di Figaro): Vocal Score Don Giovanni Mozart's Letters, Mozart's Life Letters of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Mozart: A Life in Letters (Penguin Classics)