Start by marking “The Color Purple” as Want to Read:
The Color Purple

The Color Purple

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  324,303 ratings  ·  6,070 reviews
The Color Purple is a 1982 epistolary novel by American author Alice Walker which won the 1983 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the National Book Award for Fiction. It was later adapted into a film and musical of the same name.

Taking place mostly in rural Georgia, the story focuses on the life of women of color in the southern United States in the 1930s, addressing numerous
Published April 1st 2004 by Pocket (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Color Purple, please sign up.

Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {another thought i can't control} The book and the movie are both great, but you really have to read the book to feel the story on a deeper level.
It's heart-wrenching.
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeTwilight by Stephenie MeyerPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Best Books Ever
74th out of 37,005 books — 141,566 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee1984 by George OrwellHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Books That Everyone Should Read At Least Once
50th out of 13,481 books — 66,206 voters

More lists with this book...

Samadrita
I give this book 5 stars to spite the myopic David Gilmours and the V.S. Naipauls of the world who think books written by women are irrelevant. I give this 5 stars to make up for the many 1/2/3 star ratings it may receive simply because of Alice Walker's forthright, honest portrayal of unpleasant truths that are often conveniently shoved under the carpet so as not to disturb the carefully preserved but brittle structure of dogma and century-old misconceptions.
And I award this 5 stars, symbolica
Rowena

I read The Colour Purple in my early teens, was traumatized by the graphic abuse portrayed, and vowed to never read it again. I was curious about why so many of my GR friends rated it so highly and was eventually convinced to give it another go.

Years after my first read, I still (of course) have the same visceral reaction to the abuse but that no longer blinds me from seeing the magnificence of Alice Walker’s storytelling, and how she brings her characters to life.

Celie is the protagonist of the
Aubrey
Purple is for pride, didn't you know? Purple is the royal pride to boot, the one that can afford full protection and wears its self-assumed precious state on its sleeve. There's some in love and some in hate and some, perhaps the most, in the calm reserve that takes what it gets and builds itself a home. For purple is also piety, and the potential of the purpling palimpsest is breathtaking.

If you look up 'purpling', you will find both a transformation and an act of love, the latter grounded in g
Russ
Jul 13, 2007 Russ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Women, students, anyone who is not prudish
Shelves: 2007, novel
I first read this in high school, and really enjoyed it. I re-read it in 2007, and enjoyed it just as much the second time.

First thing I should mention: This is not the book for you if you object to blunt language about sexuality, and strong language in general. The themes in this one are very real, and very shocking. However, if you can get past that, the story does offer some very touching moments.

The story, in a nutshell: Celie, a poor black girl living in Georgia, overcomes poverty, sexual o
K.D. Absolutely
May 10, 2012 K.D. Absolutely rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to K.D. by: The Filipino Group 100 Favorite Books; 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006-2010)
Walker's characterization is one of the best I've encountered so far in my reading. There are many memorable characters in this book, The Color Purple that I will probably remember for a long time. Walker's characters are not caricatures as they are well-developed and multi-dimensional, i.e., not only with both their good and bad sides revealed to the readers but also the reasons why they behave or think that way. Even the secondary characters like Squeak or Mary Agnes contributes in bringing ou ...more
Christina (Reading Thru The Night)
Wow. I mean. Really. Wow.

You know how there are some books and their words wrap around you like a comforting blanket? Well...

This. Is. Not. One.

The Color Purple rips the clothes right off of your skin, leaving you bare and vulnerable. From the first freakin' moment opening the page. You are just THERE and you can't be anywhere else but THERE. Even when you're not.

Wow.

Have you seen the movie? I had. I thought I was prepared. Because the movie was devastating. I remember vividly being in the house
Louize
Apr 21, 2011 Louize rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adult readers
Since its release in 1982, The Color Purple had been a subject of frequent censorship due to its violent sexual content and language. Not to mention the casual and constant change of partners, lesbianism and the polygamous society of the Olinka tribe. Written in epistolary form, the book is a series of letters addressed to God through which our protagonist, Celie, found solace in her chaotic life. She exists in a time of male dominance and fixed gender roles.

“Well sometime Mr._____ git on me pr
Hadrian
I've had an awfully difficult time writing about this book, so I'll keep my thoughts to a few short points which others have doubtless said better elsewhere.

The Color Purple is a series of letters written by a poor Southern black woman, Celie, to God and her sister. Because of who she is, she's placed at the bottom rung of American society due to her race, gender, semi-literacy, and her status as a target of gruesome violence.

The writing style is controlled study in dialect. The deliberate choi
Patrizia O

La vicenda narrata in questo libro racchiude diversi temi, ciascuno dei quali propone una possibile chiave di lettura. La storia della protagonista, Celie, ha luogo nel profondo sud degli Stati Uniti, in un arco temporale che, più o meno, va dalla fine del 1800 sino agli anni '40.
E' però riduttivo individuare un'unica protagonista; in realtà la storia di Celie si intreccia con quella di molti altri personaggi, ciascuno dei quali svolge un ruolo essenziale nell'economia del romanzo.
Senza dubbi

Meara
It was a beautiful story that made you want to cry, laugh and smile along with the characters. Well put together plot line, the characters were people you could really feel for and identify with. I loved the humanness of it all, way different stories were intermingled with each other and how you felt closure at the end of it all. Read it. Everyone.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Mike
"The Help" was a runaway bestseller on the NYTimes for over one hundred weeks. Now, the movie is a top grosser. I can't deny I liked it. I gave it five stars. There's nothing not to like. It was a sleeper hit. It was a short run first print and a first print of "The Help" will cost you a sweet price. But it didn't win a Pulitzer or the National Book Award. It is not a great American Novel. It will not endure as "The Color Purple" will.

Sure, the maids in Jackson, Mississippi, have it bad. It take
Cher
4.5 stars - Incredible. I really loved it.

Sometimes I pick up award winning books and am utterly puzzled by how anyone felt they were worthy of that type of prestige and attention. Other times, I pick up award winning books, such as this one, and know right away that it will be a memorable and thoroughly satisfying read.

Epistolary novels can often make it more difficult for the reader to become fully engaged and attached to the characters, but through Celie's letters to God and later her sister,
Filipa
Seguimos o sofrimento de uma rapariga que desde tenra idade não teve opções de escolha.
Teve filhos com o pai.
É obrigada a casar com alguém que o pai escolhe para ela.

É afastada da irmã.
É afastada de tudo, esperando que assim vá para uma vida melhor.

Célie é das pesonagens mais fortes e corajosas que se podem ler nos livros.
Apesar de tudo por que passou e ainda passa, não perde a esperança e não perde a força e a vontade de viver.
Gostei muito desta personagem que me pareceu tanto uma pessoa da vid
Austin Wegner
Christy
This is one of my new favorite books.

The Color Purple tells the story of Celie, a black woman who finds herself in one abusive situation after another. Her stepfather molests her, her husband beats her, and she is worn down by bearing and caring for children. Over the course of the book, however, Celie learns to stand up for herself and, more importantly, learns to love. Celie's personal development is prompted by her relationship with Shug Avery, a singer and her husband's former lover, who com
Zanna
I don't feel that I have much to add to the discussion on this book, which has enjoyed so much deserved appreciation and critique (the section in Africa is problematic, I know) I only want to say that my favourite aspect of it is the positioning of the support and love between women as revolutionary: loving women (not necessarily having sex with women) is a radical act against patriarchy, exclusion and abuse. Walker's comments on her own sexuality are so inspiring for me as is the way Celie care ...more
Stephen
I'd say it's quite an achievement for an author to get a reader to care about a character. To care about more than one? Also a strong accomplishment. But to suddenly and overwhelmingly care about two characters and their relationship with only thirty pages left of the book to go? That's never been done over the course of my reading life. Until now.

So a very sarcastic thank you for that, Miss Walker. For the record, I cared about them from the very start, but not on such a level as when what we'
Sandi
A couple of weeks ago, my 11th grade niece called to ask which book she should read off her recommended reading list for AP English. When she got to The Color Purple, I commented that I had never read it and I wasn't sure why. Honestly, I do like Alice Walker. Possessing the Secret of Joy has stuck with me for years and there was a short story we read in one of my college lit classes that I loved. Heck, The Color Purple was even turned into an Oscar-winning movie that I never saw. On my next tri ...more
Fiona
As many of my companions know I have recently re-read 'The Color Purple' because it was voted as the November group-read by participants of the "Feminist Readers' Discussion Group" which I facilitate. I have so very many thoughts and ideas rattling around in my mind on how to structure our gathering next month that I can barely begin to write this review.

I'll keep it brief...

Quite unsurprisingly, I once again experienced 'The Color Purple' to be a harrowing yet compelling and inspirational read.
Íris
Mar 12, 2015 Íris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Que livro fantástico: cheio de humanidade, personagens simples mas também complexas que nos lembram qual é a verdadeira essência da vida.

Celie é uma menina de 14 que é abusada e violada pelo pai, dando origem a dois filhos, uma menina e um menino. Após essa fase de maltratos o seu corpo tornou-se infértil. Nunca mais voltou a ver os filhos.
Entretanto, é "vendida" a um marido, Mr -- (o nome dele nunca é escrito) que só a quer como doméstica.
Celie cresce a ver o mundo e ela própria governada por h
Thomas
"There is a way that the men speak to women that reminds me too much of Pa. They listen just long enough to issue instructions. They don't even look at women when women are speaking. They look at the ground and bend their heads toward the ground. The women also do not "look in a man's face" as they say. To "look in a man's face" is a brazen thing to do. They look instead at his feet or his knees. And what can I say to this?"

What a sad and splendid book. The Color Purple tells the tale of 20 year
Kirstine
’The Color Purple’ is the most life affirming book I’ve read this year. Told through letters first to God, then her sister, Celie tells the story of her life, and it isn’t pretty, but it’s real.

I honest to god read the last line of the last page, closed the book and started crying. It touched me deeply.

It will hit you, hopefully often, that gender issues, racial inequality, and privilege are fucking important to address in books, in movies, in any media, because to some people it might be all
kisha
"They are the blackest people I have ever seen, Celie. They are black like the people we are talking about when we say, "So and so is black than black, he’s blueblack." They are so black, Celie, they shine. Which is something else folks down home like to say about real black folks. But Celie, try to imagine a city full of these shining, blueblack people wearing brilliant blue robes with designs like fancy quilt patterns. Tall, thin, with long necks and straight backs. Can you picture it at all, ...more
Andrew
This is a deeply religious book, in a couple of different senses. First of all, the main character, Celie, narrates the book through letters she writes to God. She is trapped in abusive relationships, first with Pa and then with her husband Albert, referred to by her as Mr ______. She writes to God because she has nobody else to talk to after her sister Nettie disappears, believed dead. Gradually, through her relationship with Shug Avery and piecing together the truth about her past, she rids he ...more
Chaymâa
Try to walk by a school today and count how many children are crying; so many to count, right? Little girls cry because they want a pink candy rather than an orange one, because their Barbie lost its hand or because mommy can’t fly. Spoiled-happy princesses cry for no reason while abused-sad girls don’t. They fight!
“All my life I had to fight. I had to fight my daddy. I had to fight my brothers. I had to fight my cousins and my uncles. A girl child ain't safe in a family of men.”

Celie, Nettie
Yoana
This is why I read non-old-white-guy authors with such voracious interest - because beyond the literary canon filled with endless constructions of the perfectly obeisant or perfectly seductive woman and idle musings about the physical and metaphysical dimensions of meaning there's a wealth of original and vibrant viewpoints and understandings about life, about people, society, spirituality, interaction, about how people build each other up and tear each other down, about the mechanisms of oppres ...more
Visha Burkart
Brad
This review was written in the late nineties (just for myself), and it was buried in amongst my things until today, when I uncovered the journal it was written in. I have transcribed it verbatim from all those years ago (although square brackets indicate some additional information for the sake of readability). It is one of my lost reviews.

I always avoided this book because I thought it would not be for me, and it might hurt my viewing of Spielberg's film version if I ever got around to watching
Desislava
You have an insight in the life of black women. They had to do everything for their husbands and if they didn't do what say wanted they were beaten by them. However, there are parts of the book that I felt should not have been in the book. The chapters where Nellie wrote to Celie just lacked my attention and bored me.

I have mixed feelings about the ending. (view spoiler)
2015 Reading Chal...: The Color Purple by Alice Walker 4 27 Apr 09, 2015 02:47PM
why the color PURPLE? 31 204 Apr 08, 2015 05:52AM
Ms. Dix's AP Lit and Comp Summer 2015 1 5 Mar 17, 2015 02:16PM
What other books have a colour in their tltle? 186 256 Mar 16, 2015 03:00PM
Writers of Color ...: TheColor Purple III (Letters 62-90) 1 11 Mar 09, 2015 12:13AM
Writers of Color ...: The Color Purple Pt. II (Letters 34-61) 1 4 Mar 09, 2015 12:12AM
Writers of Color ...: The Color Purple Pt. 1 (Letters 1 - 33) 1 16 Mar 09, 2015 12:11AM
  • The Store
  • Journey in the Dark
  • Ain’t I a Woman: Black Women and Feminism
  • Lamb in His Bosom
  • Stone Butch Blues
Alice Walker (b. 1944), one of the United States’ preeminent writers, is an award-winning author of novels, stories, essays, and poetry. In 1983, Walker became the first African-American woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for fiction with her novel The Color Purple, which also won the National Book Award. Her other books include The Third Life of Grange Copeland, Meridian, The Temple of My Familiar, an ...more
More about Alice Walker...
The Temple of My Familiar Possessing the Secret of Joy In Search of Our Mothers' Gardens: Womanist Prose Meridian By The Light Of My Father's Smile

“I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it.” 1314 likes
“I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it. People think pleasing God is all God cares about. But any fool living in the world can see it always trying to please us back.” 270 likes