Start by marking “The Jewish Way: Living the Holidays” as Want to Read:
The Jewish Way: Living the Holidays

The Jewish Way: Living the Holidays

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In thoughtful and engaging prose, Rabbi Irving Greenberg explains and interprets the origin, background, interconnections, ceremonial rituals, and religious significance of all the Jewish holidays, including Passover, Yom Kippur, Purim, Hanukkah, Holocaust Remembrance Day and Israeli Independence Day. Giving detailed instructions for observance - the rituals, prayers, food ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Touchstone (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Jewish Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jewish Way

Michael
(current rating 5 though not finished yet.) Every time I take up this book, I am amazed at how thoroughly articulate and modern this guy is. He talks about real life while keeping his eyes on (and drawing your attention to) the essential things and their roots in tradition.

I would recommend the book even to non-Jews interested in understanding the meaning of the Jewish holidays, and some of the crazy stuff we do during them.
Elijah Spector
For the Jewish class that my fiancee and I are taking: her to convert, and me as a refresher.

Greenberg, at least back when he wrote this, is a little strict for me. Nothing in the Torah can ever just be "it was aimed at a different audience" back then, one must come up with great rationalizations. Part of the fun of our religion, to a point, but it can be taken too far.
Kelly
Very informative read about the Jewish Holidays. I continue to reference this book.
Lesli
I'm enjoying this book as a way to learn about Jewish holidays, traditions, and history.
Craig J.
The Jewish Way: Living the Holidays by Irving Greenberg (1993)
Megan Hoover
Megan Hoover marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Garland Vance
Garland Vance marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Renée
Renée marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
E
E marked it as to-read
Eytan Bayme
Eytan Bayme is currently reading it
Nov 18, 2014
Karen Brown
Karen Brown is currently reading it
Nov 07, 2014
Ravyn
Ravyn marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
For the Sake of Heaven and Earth: The New Encounter Between Judaism and Christianity Theodore Roosevelt And Labor, 1900 1918 The Everyday Torah: Weekly Reflections and Inspirations Dignity Beyond Death: The Jewish Preparation for Burial Scrolls of Testimony