Full Woman, Fleshy Apple, Hot Moon: Selected Poetry of Pablo Neruda

Full Woman, Fleshy Apple, Hot Moon: Selected Poetry of Pablo Neruda

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  879 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Mitchell, widely known for his original and definitive translations of spiritual writings and poetry, has taken the work of Neruda (1904-1973), whose poems are passionate, humorous and exceptionally accessible, and brought them to life for a whole new generation of readers.
Published May 1st 1997 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Full Woman, Fleshy Apple, Hot Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Woman, Fleshy Apple, Hot Moon

Lora
"I want to speak with many things
and I won't leave this planet
without knowing what I came to find,
without resolving this matter,
and people are not enough
I have to go much farther
and I have to get much closer."
— a portion of "Bestiary", from Extravagaria

I truly believe that if every person viewed the world and its life the way Neruda did it would be a much better place.

I never would've dreamed that words could be so beautiful when used to describe what I thought were the most mundane of things:...more
Rowena
“If we could do nothing for once,
Perhaps a great silence would
Interrupt this sadness,
This never understanding ourselves
And threatening ourselves with death,
Perhaps the earth is teaching us
When everything seems to be dead
And then everything is alive.”
— Pablo Neruda, Keeping Quiet

I loved this poetry collection; it contained so many odes to the most unlikeliest of subjects; ironing, watermelon, chestnuts, the poet's suit, for example.I was more touched than I thought I would be at his odes to anim...more
Christiana
"I don't love you as if you were the salt-rose, topaz/
or arrow of carnations that propagate fire:/
I love you as certain dark things are loved,/
secretly, between the shadow and the soul."

Need more be written?
Andrea Blythe
I bought this collection of Pablo Neruda's poetry in 2001 and its taken me until now, ten years later, to finish it. This extremely slow pace should not be mistaken for dislike of the book, however. I had not read Neruda's work before I bought Full Woman, Fleshly Apple, Hot Moon. Traveling Mexico, I was looking for a book in Spanish and English that I could read, enjoy, and practice my Spanish with and I remembered that my Spanish teacher had mentioned this poet's name in class at one point.

I be...more
P is for Polly
These poems, translated into English on the right side of each spread, are so clear that I can remember the exact words later-- rather than just the idea or the picture. For me, that's a miracle to be able to remember the exact words of something. Here is someone who truly uses words well. I've been contemplating his phrase about cabbages "trying on skirts" in the garden, and his reference to the unity of a "generous ocean" for a month.
So these poems are somehow solid, more real, than most word...more
Rozzell
I purchased this book the other night because I was meeting a friend for drinks at a smoky bar, and I had an hour or two to myself before our encounter. It was a lovely November evening with the slight Portland drizzle doing its part to make the night magical. I settled for this collection because it was on sale for seven bucks, and it was the perfect companion for the evening. The beautiful way of Neruda's seeing is inspiring, and instills within me a certain everyday holiness that makes me fee...more
Julz
Give me your slow blood,
cold
rain,
give me your astonished flight!
Give me back
the key
of the door that was shut,
destroyed.
For a moment, for
a short lifetime,
take the light from me and let me
feel myself
of
the
rain.
Greta
Pablo Neruda sees things, appreciates things, and he wallows in the beauty of these things he sees and appreciates in his poems. From the ordinary sock to a few people whom he holds dear, Neruda describes the essence of things in a way that enable you to appreciate them too.
Skot
Sensuality defined. The universe hums with electricity and colour in Neruda's verse. There is an intimacy and vivacity and humour to these poems which I don't think anyone matches so consistently. Mitchell's selections, and his rich translations are superb.
Kate
Neruda is in my top five . . . maybe my top two poets. So great -- and I don't really like poetry!
Amanu
Best title ever! yummy poetry.
Joshie
I just rode the feels train. These poems are so good, the feelings and the imagery are spot on.

"We will never remember dying.

We were so patient
about being,
noting down
the numbers, the days,
the years and the months,
the hair, the mouths we kissed,
but that moment of dying:
we surrender it without a note,
we give it to others as remembrance
or we give it simply to water,
to water, to air, to time.
Nor do we keep
the memory of our birth,
though being born was important and fresh:
and now you don’t even rememb...more
Anne
What we know is so little
and what we presume is so much
and we learn so slowly
that we ask and then we die.

- "Through a Closed Mouth the Flies Enter"

And my parents are asking me why I'm so obsessed about learning the Spanish language! This - and a bunch of other Latin American literature - is precisely why! Pablo Neruda has to be one of my favorite poets. I love his style, and the way he manipulates words, as is exemplified in a portion in his poem "The Word":

I take the word and move
through it, as
Olga
An excellent book from one of my two favorite poets. !!!!! If you love life, if you're a hopeless romantic you will love it . Neruda praises life and love in his own magical way!!!
Annie
This was my first taste of Neruda, and I found him absolutely enchanting. His appreciation for the minuscule and sensual approach to the ordinary were delightful and delightfully refreshing. The only complaint I had was that I wanted more than the volume had to offer. So, in conclusion: my first taste, but certainly not my last.
Miroku Nemeth
This is not a collection of sensual, erotic love poetry, as one would be inclined to think from the title. There are sensual, erotic love poems in it, but what this collection contains is a broader love poetry, a poetry where the poet, and, consequently, the reader, become lost in the adoration of the beauty of whatever natural object, person, or thing Neruda meditates upon. If you have ever found yourself lost in the beauty of simple things, feeling that they should be celebrated--if you are a...more
Bryanna
My favorite collection of his work. Quiet killer.
Patrick Mcgee
The first book of poetry I read from Pablo Neruda was the most recent I posted a review on--a small chapbookesque collection that I thoroughly enjoyed. I can definitely see what all the fuss is about with this poet after reading this collection of selected poems published in 1997. Neruda's choice of words and how he weaves them together is something special. He can write a poem about onions and tomatoes (and he does) and create some of the most eloquent poetry I have ever come across. Highly rec...more
Nathan Timoteo
Jul 29, 2008 Nathan Timoteo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of poetry
Recommended to Nathan by: Pablo
Shelves: poetry
What can I say, or write, about Pablo Neruda? The images his words bring to mind seem to become tangible as the reading continues. This book of odes is wonderful, some of my favorite Neruda of all. I especially enjoy the Ode to Birds and the Ode to an Artichoke. Simple, sensual, ponderous and joyful... a wonderful celebration of each poem's subject. If you love Neruda (or poetry in general) I highly recommend this great collection. Enjoy!
Matthew Stillman
If you can't read Spanish (I can't) it seems to me that this translation of Neruda captures all the grand spirit of poetry. Everything I have read about Neruda and his work seems encapsulated in this translation more so than with other versions I have come across.

The poems are achingly beautiful. Funny and profound. They are sensual without being erotic. Loving without being sloppy.

Jia
The first time I heard about Neruda oddly enough was on an episode of Girlfriends (go figure). In college, I tried my hand at poetry, but was never pleased with the outcome. I still had a few favorites, but hadn't really read any new poets in years. You might say Neruda reignited my fire. He's got it like that. Powerful imagery, passion, intense love of language. Simply amazing.
Lisa
Fantastic writing, Neruda is a very skilled and creative writer and his sentiments come through even into the English translation, which is not always the case when books are translated. His approach and appreciation of everyday things ("Ode to my socks", "Ode to an artichoke") reveal the beauty and complexity of the seemingly simple ("Ode to an onion", "Ode to a seagull").
Marian
Jan 09, 2008 Marian rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those timid to poetry
Chilean Nobel Prize winner Pablo Neruda is a good starting point for those who are timid about poetry. I listened to the audiobook, as I like to have someone read poetry to me vs. me reading it. Neruda paints a picture for your imagination in the selection of many different Odes to..artichokes ...or the rooster. Upbeat, humorous, fun
Emily
I've been having sort of a rough time recently & have been carrying this book around like a security blanket. When I'm home I read the original spanish outloud to myself but otherwise read the english translation to myself which works better at relieving stree & anxiety than xanax.
Izetta Autumn
Sublime poetry - good, with little lost in translation, as sometimes happens. Didn't know whether to go get a fantastic meal or a man. Sensuality oozes throughout the poetry, the images are strong. Neruda doing Neruda, which is to say being fab.
Quil
Pablo Neruda is straight-up fantastic and Stephen Mitchell is quite a capable translator, though oddly, I like his work better here than in other translations.

My favorite poem ever, "Ode to the Black Panther," is in this book.
Dan
Dec 15, 2007 Dan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poetry lovers
Shelves: poetry-favorites
Neruda finds such richness, such mystery in life's details. Mitchell's translations are stunning poetry in themselves. Favorites: "Ode to Laziness," "Ode to My Socks," "Births," "Ode to Ironing," "Ode to My Suit."
Trenton Judson
Neruda just sings. This spanish/english version is gorgeous, you can look at the translation side by side. A la Tristeza is such a vision of the ennui that we all experience at one time or another with life.
Liz
My favorite Neruda book...and as I am in chile right now, I can´t neglect this book. A little of his odes, a little of his love poems..I am not big on poetry, but Neruda just plain rocks!
Dana Garrett
It might be impossible to best Stephen Mitchell's translations of any poet, Rilke and Neruda. With him the poetry emerges in the the translation of the poem.
  • Otherwise: New & Selected Poems
  • Against Forgetting: Twentieth-Century Poetry of Witness
  • Behind My Eyes [With CD]
  • Pablo Neruda: Absence and Presence
  • The Complete English Poems (Herbert, George)
  • The Gold Cell (Knopf Poetry Series)
  • The Fact of a Doorframe: Poems Selected and New, 1950-1984
  • Sun Under Wood
  • Rilke on Love and Other Difficulties: Translations and Considerations
  • Handwriting
  • Blessing the Boats: New and Selected Poems, 1988-2000
  • And Her Soul Out Of Nothing
  • Picnic, Lightning
  • The Throne of the Third Heaven of the Nations Millennium General Assembly: Poems Collected and New
  • The Seven Ages
  • Helen in Egypt
  • New and Selected Poems, Vol. 2
  • Late Wife
Pablo Neruda was the pen name and, later, legal name of the Chilean writer and politician Neftalí Ricardo Reyes Basoalto. Neruda assumed his pen name as a teenager, partly because it was in vogue, partly to hide his poetry from his father, a rigid man who wanted his son to have a "practical" occupation. Neruda's pen name was derived from Czech writer and poet Jan Neruda; Pablo is thought to be fro...more
More about Pablo Neruda...
Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair The Poetry of Pablo Neruda 100 Love Sonnets The Essential Neruda: Selected Poems The Captain's Verses (Los versos del capitan) (English and Spanish Edition)

“I had no more alphabet
than the journeying of the swallows,
the pure and tiny water
of the small, fiery bird
that dances rising from the pollen.”
9 likes