Start by marking “Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Practice and Principles” as Want to Read:
Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Practice and Principles

Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Practice and Principles

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  6,122 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
The first book to present innovation and entrepreneurship as a purposeful and systematic discipline, this classic business title explains and analyzes the challenges and opportunities of America's entrepreneurial economy.
Published January 1st 1993 by HarperBusiness (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Innovation and Entrepreneurship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Innovation and Entrepreneurship

Herve
Sep 21, 2011 Herve rated it really liked it
Far from my previous post about Perkins, Peter Drucker’s book Innovation and Entrepreneurship was a paradoxical reading. The first chapters were painful even if brilliant. I understood there that innovation is a process which will be successful if carefully planned and managed. Fortunately, chapter 9 completely changed my perception when the author dealt with knowledge-based innovation, which includes innovations based on science and technology. So let me summarize the main points of this chapte ...more
Mohammad Shaker
Mar 05, 2016 Mohammad Shaker rated it it was amazing
As always, Peter Drucker is one of my favourites on the subject. A book from the 80s that still a great read today, on a very changing and challenging subject such as entrepreneurship, is a sole indicator of how great the book is.
David Garza
Jul 02, 2008 David Garza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: Pepperdine Business Program
Even though this book is relatively old, its principles apply in every era. Drucker presents innovation as an ageless art form, in which all that changes is the approach. Any business owner, or out of the box thinker, should definitely read this book.
Robert
Jul 26, 2008 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Most people probably think that innovation and entrepreneurship is something that happens by chance or by magic. Reading this book by Peter Drucker should dispel this notion totally. Not only is innovation and entrepreneurship something that can be measured but it is something that can be learned.

The book initially provides definitions of what innovation and entrepreneurship is, what the different types and aspects of each are and where they are most likely to occur. Drucker then continues on wi
Nicholas
Aug 18, 2008 Nicholas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, economics
Timothy Chklovski
Oct 29, 2014 Timothy Chklovski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mgmt
This is the first book by Drucker that I've read, but definitely not the last.
Drucker is erudite; he reaches back hundreds of years and across continents to identify first introduction of one thing or another. Although Drucker's seminal contributions have shaped how large corporations in the US and Japan are managed, this work looks at a full spectrum of companies from large to small, and describes the kinds of innovation that succeed.
Drucker delights at debunking conventional wisdom or frequent
Krishna Kumar
May 03, 2015 Krishna Kumar rated it it was amazing
Long before the Innovator's Dilemma was written, here is Drucker with the same insights about why innovation must be treated as a special child by management, and the challenges faced by it in existing corporations. This review was written after I read the book for the second time (I had read it previously a few years back), and it is incredible how the contents seem more meaningful and relevant on the second reading.
Babak
Nov 16, 2011 Babak rated it it was amazing
This is a very authoritative introduction to the subject of innovation. It is very well-written, although a bit heavy at points. Drucker has made an important contribution, as usual. The part on sources of innovation is very good and also exists as an HBR article.
Dmitri Pavlov
Jul 27, 2015 Dmitri Pavlov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly a bit boring, but nevertheless it is smart, some stories and examples are really make you interested. The material just need to be presented better.
Ramy Khodeir
Sep 28, 2012 Ramy Khodeir rated it it was amazing
The necessary link between to essential disciplines required for the 21st century business enterprise
Jacob Mclaws
Jul 03, 2014 Jacob Mclaws rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, innovation
I picked this up with the intent to read it and have it under my belt so I could say I've read it just because it is a "classic". I expected a lot of out of date references and antiquated principles of innovation.

I did find A LOT of out of date references to companies that are no longer the innovation powerhouses that they once were (which just highlights the transient nature of being an innovation factory), but the principles and practices seem as true as ever and I don't think it is too bold
George Mount
Feb 13, 2017 George Mount rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on entrepreneurship I have read. Drucker was such a visionary. I cannot believe this book was written in the 1980s.
Jozsef
Nov 03, 2016 Jozsef rated it liked it
Another great book from the prophet of management. A good read even with the benefit of hindsight, because you can contrast and compare old methods and theories with current practices.
Johnny Danell
Jan 09, 2017 Johnny Danell rated it it was amazing
This book takes a subject many people probably don't find that engaging and make it so. This book has aged extremely well and sometimes it's almost scary how acurate some om mr. Druckers prediction about the future is. I highlighted tons in this book (which I don't do that often). Go and get it!
Van
Oct 09, 2015 Van rated it it was amazing
Cuốn sách là một chứng minh hùng hồn cho khái niệm cơ bản : Khởi nghiệp là đổi mới, là mang lại một giải pháp hữu ích cho thị trường, cũng như, thay đổi là tất yếu, ai biết nắm bắt sự thay đổi sẽ gặt hái thành công. Khái niệm này có thể ai cũng biết hoặc nghe tới rồi, nhưng để phân tích hay và sâu như cuốn sách này thì quả thực khó và hiếm.

Một nửa đầu cuốn sách đã được tác giả ưu ái sử dụng để đưa ra những chỉ dẫn rõ ràng về cách thức và nguồn gốc tìm kiếm cơ sở cho sự đổi mới - cho quá trình k
Shai Sachs
Jul 19, 2015 Shai Sachs rated it liked it
Shelves: professional
It's a bit odd to read a book about innovation that's thirty years old, but Peter Drucker's definitive work holds up reasonably well. More than that, I think the main thrust of the book has not really been fully appreciated. The idea that entrepreneurship is a business activity that can be organized and managed in the same way as any other activity - accounting, say, or manufacturing - is still rather unorthodox today. Companies that systematically search for opportunities for change are few and ...more
Maura
Mar 17, 2013 Maura rated it liked it
I sure wish there was a more recent version. This book would have earned another star if more of the examples had been drawn from the recent past. There were enough timeless examples from the past couple hundred years to make it a worthwhile read, though.

Some useful points:
*Look for the surprise successes and exploit them.

*Don't turn your nose up at unexpected uses for your product if it's selling. It doesn't matter if your happy customers are not the ones you wanted/intended.

*Company founders
Abhi Yerra
Mar 14, 2016 Abhi Yerra rated it really liked it
Reading Drucker is like reading the source that every other business author seems to go to. He has basically distilled Innovation and Entrepreneurship to a management science. The effective strategies to use and the different types of innovations that are possible. Not all of them have to be high tech and not all of them have to be based on new knowledge. They can be boring like coming up a mechanism for a farmer to pay for a tractor in installments also known as an installment plan. In the book ...more
Vickie Figueroa
Jun 07, 2016 Vickie Figueroa rated it it was amazing
Though about innovation and entrepreneurship in business, the topics in this book can be applied to non-profit, gov't, schools, etc - even one's personal life. The days of one-employer for life and being guided in your career are over. Information and methods change so rapidly these days. Today, the best careers are FULLY self-directed. Amazing, Drucker pointed this out 30 years ago.

I appreciate Drucker's viewpoint of innovation and entrepreneurship as disciplines and systems vs "rare gifts" an
Jan Ahtiainen
Nov 01, 2015 Jan Ahtiainen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter Drucker is seen by many as the father of management and after reading this book I obtained a better understanding of why that is the case.

The book itself is an interesting read, especially with the interesting real life examples that occur throughout the book. The book changed some of my assumptions on entrepreneurship and the management of innovation within companies of all size - innovation is a systematic activity similarly to corporate processes done on a systematic basis within the co
Bernie May
Jan 10, 2013 Bernie May rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Wish I could give it a higher rating. It's dense with brilliant, seminal ideas. And that's the problem. It's dense, it makes for a deliberate effort to read. Or maybe I just need to read more Drucker and raise the intellectual bar. Definitely on the re-read list, but not for a couple of years methinks.
Mark Polino
May 08, 2011 Mark Polino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
25 years later Innovation and Entrepreneurship holds up just fine. The older examples still translate well. Drucker's idea of a window of entry for firms in knowledge based industries is a perfect fit for the search engine industry, even though Drucker cites railroads as a example since Google didn't exist when this book was written.

In short, it's still excellent and still relevant.
Jim
Sep 11, 2010 Jim rated it it was amazing
The examples are a little (okay, very) dated, but the concepts are spot on. Drucker nailed it - and did so way ahead of the pack. 25 years later his call to build innovation and constant positive change into our organizations is still relevant, and dare I say needed in the business culture of 2010.
Don Weidinger
Mar 05, 2015 Don Weidinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
high tech jobs 1/8, classical economics optimizes existing, capitalism is creative destruction, Cuba and Czech governments stopped installment buying, Germany could have won small car market with Beetle however unions blocked exporting jobs to US, fear of health in current generation is not grounded, DaVinci ideas of 1500’s, entrepreneurial judo, cycle welfare to entrepreneurial.
Gregg B. Jensen
Jan 16, 2013 Gregg B. Jensen rated it it was amazing
It was a good read; it talks about different ways to find innovation, primarily by examining the unexpected. What I really like is how it talks about how big business is losing jobs, and how entrepreneurs and new business are driving the majority of new jobs today. Also, how companies must continuously innovate to survive.
Eddie
Oct 05, 2012 Eddie rated it liked it
If you learn only one thing, it's that there are no "eureka!!" moments. Archimedes lied to us. Genius does not strike like lightning. Innovation is an iterative process, and there's no way around the fact that it's just hard work.
Faisal Hoque
Aug 11, 2014 Faisal Hoque rated it it was amazing
Most Impactful Business Book I Read.

“This defines entrepreneur and entrepreneurship – the entrepreneur always searches for change, responds to it, and exploits it as an opportunity.” ― Peter F. Drucker
Polej
Jul 23, 2012 Polej rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hearing that book as audiobook gave me a boost towards really really deep changes of the most basic theory/schematics in my life. "All action comes from theory. To change action you have to change the theory" (or something like that)
S
Apr 15, 2014 S rated it really liked it
Interesting read, many examples to illustrate what Drucker is trying to convey.
Given that it was published awhile back, it is understandable that some examples have become irrelevant.
And ironically, companies in some of the examples for success have failed.
But c'est la vie!
Ming
Jan 28, 2009 Ming rated it really liked it
This book really kicks ass, it outlines the necessities of entrepreneurship and creative thinking in a very systematic and conservative manner that anyone could really learn and adapt from. Also expertly dispels many myths regarding the subject of entrepreneurs.
Looking for Innovation Books 2 5 Sep 21, 2015 08:37AM
  • The Myths of Innovation
  • The Path of Least Resistance for Managers
  • Getting Started in Consulting
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
  • Green to Gold: How Smart Companies Use Environmental Strategy to Innovate, Create Value, and Build Competitive Advantage
  • Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes
  • The 1% Windfall: How Successful Companies Use Price to Profit and Grow
  • Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload
  • Principles of Statistics
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
12008
Peter Ferdinand Drucker was a writer, management consultant and university professor. His writing focused on management-related literature. Peter Drucker made famous the term knowledge worker and is thought to have unknowingly ushered in the knowledge economy, which effectively challenges Karl Marx's world-view of the political economy. George Orwell credits Peter Drucker as one of the only writer ...more
More about Peter F. Drucker...

“This defines entrepreneur and entrepreneurship - the entrepreneur always searches for change, responds to it, and exploits it as an opportunity.” 59 likes
“Entrepreneurship rests on a theory of economy and society. The theory sees change as normal and indeed as healthy. And it sees the major task in society - and especially in the economy - as doing something different rather than doing better what is already being done. That is basically what Say, two hundred years ago, meant when he coined the term entrepreneur. It was intended as a manifesto and as a declaration of dissent: the entrepreneur upsets and disorganizes. As Joseph Schumpeter formulated it, his task is "creative destruction.” 16 likes