Start by marking “Fool for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fool for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, #2)

Fool for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island #2)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,866 Ratings  ·  415 Reviews
Joe Cantrell, owner of the Gansett Island Ferry Company, has been in love with Janey McCarthy for as long as he can remember. At the same time, Janey has been dating or engaged to doctor-in-training David Lawrence. When things go horribly wrong between David and Janey, she calls her “fifth brother” Joe, one of the few people in her close circle who lives on the mainland. J ...more
ebook, Kobo, 222 pages
Published May 27th 2011 by HTJB, Inc. (first published May 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fool for Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fool for Love

Lisa
May 14, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it

What happens when you get a handsome ferry boat captain who finally gets his chance with his lady love?

Joe Cantrell:

description

What happens when your life completely shifts and the path that you were set on taking is no longer there?

Janey McCarthy:

description

Fool for Love by Marie Force continues on with the McCarthy siblings. This book tells the story of Janey McCarthy and Joe Cantrell. Janey is the youngest of the McCarthy siblings and the only girl in the brood. Joe is Mac McCarthy's best friend and the owner and
Splage
Very satisfying read that follows the same formula of many of Marie Force's previous books I have read--her style has always been a hit for me. Engaging, sweet characters, some kind of love triangle, no major villains, charming, believable storyline, and some very sexy scenes.

1. Very likable characters- Force's heroes always seem perfect to me and I absolutely loved Joe. Joe is Janey's older brother's best friend and he has been in love with Janey since she was 13 or maybe earlier. He has genui

Steffi
Jun 03, 2011 Steffi rated it it was amazing
5 stars for Fool for Love

After Mac and Maddie, this is now Janey's and Joe's story.
Janey, Mac's sisters, has been in love with David as long as she can remember and she sacrificed a lot for the relationship. When she wants to surprise him on their anniversary and finds him in bed with another woman, Janey feels lost and hurt but already starts realizing that maybe this hasn't been the right relationship and the right man for her for some years. On the way back to the island, her car breaks do
♥Rachel♥
Jan 13, 2014 ♥Rachel♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book

I just finished this story on the way home from work. Love a story of unrequited love, and this didn't disappoint!. Don't forget about the steamy scenes that will singe your eyebrows. The narrator was quiet and lent a sensual, as well as melancholy feel to the story. That sounds a little confusing, so how about this: The narrator was wonderful!
Melissa
Janey McCarthy and her long time fiancée have been in a long distance relationship, while he’s in school to become a doctor. Janey decides to surprise him on their thirteenth anniversary when she shows up to find him in bed with another woman. On her way back home her car breaks down in the middle of the highway so she calls her brothers best friend Joe Cantrell to come and help her.

Joe has been in love with Janey for as long as he can remember but not ever acting on his feeling since she has a
Ian
Apr 02, 2013 Ian rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who don't want to be surprised
Joe has loved Janey forever. Unfortunately Janey has been engaged to someone else for just as long. When Janey catches her fiancé in bed with another woman she turns to Joe and things quickly heat up.

There are just as many clichés in Fool for Love as there are books called Fool for Love in the Goodreads Database. I imagine I could find the same basic plot line in more than one of them but it doesn't matter all that much.

It's derivative but it's still entertaining.

Dee
Read the first one quite a while ago and was a little disappointed so put me off the series, but as it is MF I knew I was always gonna go back to it sometime......This was so much better than the first!
Minx Malone
May 28, 2011 Minx Malone rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic-romance
I thought it couldn't get any better than Mac and Maddie's story. The way Joe loves Janey makes you want to yank him off the page and kiss him. No one writes to-die-for heroes like Marie Force.
Lady Heather
This the second book in "The McCarthy's of Gansett Island".
Janey McCarthy is the youngest and the only girl in a family of 5 children. She is traumatized when she plans a surprise visit to her fiancee in Boston where He is doing His MD Internship (a man she has been with for over 13 years)only to discover Him in bed with another women. He doesn't see her (and after standing there watching them for what seems like forever) she runs out of their apartment in total shock to get back to her home on
RJ
3.75 Stars

I don't know why I never read this book when I loved book one but I'm glad I got around to it! I loved how utterly devoted Joe was to Janey and gave her nothing but unconditional love. I also liked the flip on the typical brother's best-friend trope where this time it's the guy who's in love with the little sister.
Becky
Jun 21, 2016 Becky rated it it was amazing
Another five star read. I've been rooting for Joe since I met him in the first book. I am so glad the hunky captain won over Mac's little sister. They make a perfect couple!! Now I desperately need to read Luke's story.
Marulett
Dec 22, 2015 Marulett rated it really liked it
Buddy read with Aly :)

Really liked Joe and Janey's story!
Tina
Jun 16, 2011 Tina rated it really liked it
Oh, Now this one was more my speed. This one had the depth that I think was lacking in the first book of the series, Maid for Love.

One thing I liked about it was that it was told a lot from the perspective of the hero. Joe Cantrell has been in love with Janey McCarthy forever. But she has been with her high school sweetheart, David forever. The two of them have been together for 13 years and planning a huge wedding for the following year.

Joe knows that he has no chance with Janey and his love is
Jan 24, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Ok so not as good as Maid For Love but still quite good.
There was a lack of story here. Jainey dumped her boyfriend after seeing him in bed with another woman, and ends up in bed with her brothers best friend who has carried a torch for her for years. He now has to wait for her to come round to the idea. And she really enjoys being with him, he encourages her to go to Vet school - and that's when she realises she loves him, and breaks up with him to save him from a broken heart. Sound logic righ
valee
Jul 16, 2011 valee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cont-romance
I think I should have waited a bit more before starting this book. I started Fool for love right after finishing book 1 and I think that's the reason for why I couldn't enjoyed this book more. For this very same reason I'll wait a bit before reading book 3.

I enjoyed the characters in book 1 better. I know, it seems I'm the only one who thinks this way according to the rating but I'm sure about that and it has nothing to do to have read them together. The main characters in book one had more char
Dianna
Jun 17, 2016 Dianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When veterinary assistant Janey walks in on her fiancé in bed with another woman, she’s devastated. She rushes out before he sees her, and then her car breaks down on the way home, so she calls Joe.

Joe is a ferry captain, and owns the boat service that takes everyone out to the island where the novel is set. So he’s what I think of as grounded affluent – there’s money there, but not so much that he’s buy-a-girl-a-designer-wardrobe fancy. He’s a family friend and has been in love with Janey forev
Gamze
Sep 22, 2014 Gamze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
13 sene en yakın arkadaşının kız kardeşine aşık olmak ne demektir inanamıyorum. Ama kaptan Joe için durum bu.. Ve Janey bu durumdan habersiz o da yaklaşık 13 senedir, lise 2'den beri David ile birliktedir. Ve yakın zamanda evleneceklerdir. Janey, Boston'da okuyan David'e sürpriz yapmak için yola çıkar ama işler ummuduğu gibi değildir. David'i yataklarında başka bir kadınla basar.. Hikayenin genel özeti bu..
Yazarın okuduğum ilk kitabı ile favorilerim arasına girse de bu kitapta hissettiğim eksik
Ellie
I really enjoyed this story but it still only gets 3/5. It was a good story and I liked the hero and heroine...loved them but the book just wasn't 4/5 or 5/5 quality. Not enough pizzazz. So this is the perfect beach read.

This book is worth the read if you're interested in a relaxed unrequited love-story without a lot of suspense and anxiety than this is a go to for you.

I believe I gave book one in this series a 3/5 as well but in my opinion this story is better. So maybe this book is a 3.5/5.

I h
Lynsey
Feb 15, 2014 Lynsey rated it really liked it
Listened to on audio, narrated by Holly Fielding.

I orginally read this in 2011 on kindle and rated 3 stars but after the audio I'm increasing it to 4.5 stars.

The narrator is still good, but she sliped up a lot in this. They were all small slips ups, but annoying. Does nobody proof listen to these things? There is also a lot of background noise. Annoying, but didn't ruin it.

Now about the book...I remember I was previously rankled by Janey, because she made poor Joe jump through hoops, however, ha
A Tasty Read Book Reviews
May 31, 2011 A Tasty Read Book Reviews rated it really liked it
What a cute story about Joe and Jacey. Joe, Joe, Joe....what can I say. Who wouldn't want someone as sexy as him to have been in love with them forever, and to punch her cheating fiance in the face!! Loved that part...."Why did you punch him?", "He just looked smug and smiling." haha love it!! I wanted to punch David myself.

Another great one Marie, please keep them coming!! And Im so looking forward to the other MacCarthy brothers to have their own stories....maybe one will even be matched up w
Rachel Regina
May 31, 2014 Rachel Regina rated it really liked it
Very cute friends to lovers story! So glad that Joe got his HEA. Such a great guy! :)
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
awww this series is pretty cute. I'll continue on!
Aly is so frigging bored
Dec 25, 2015 Aly is so frigging bored rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Buddy read with Maru
Kathy
The second in the McCarthy series is very much like the first- a fast, sweet, and tender love story with an H/h who are goodhearted and caring people. I loved that it wasn't angsty because I didn't want either Joe or Janey to get hurt, they were just that nice of people. Also like the first in the series, the book is mostly dialogue, which I love and Marie Force is great at writing it.
HÜLYA
Aug 15, 2014 HÜLYA rated it it was amazing

Orjinal Adı: Fool For Love
Edisyon Adı :Aşka Düşünce
Yazar : Marie Force
Goodreads Puanı : 5.4/28
Puanım :5/5

Marie Force ile ilk tanışmam serinin ilk kitabını okumadım ve okumadığıma çok pişman oldum. Yazar karakterleri özellikle erkek karakterleri rüya gibi yazıyor. Gerçek olamayacak kadar muhteşem karakterler.
Tam anlamı ile çok güzel bir tatil kitabı. Elinize alacaksınız,güneş kreminizi sürdükten sonra şezlonga kurulup okumaya başlayacaksınız.

Güneş kreminizi fazlaca sürmenizi tavsiye ederim zira k
Vikki Vaught
Vikki’s Musings

Fool for Love is the second book in the MaCarthys of Gansett Island series and what a delightful series it is. Until Maid for Love, I had not read any books by Marie Force, but now after reading/listening to two, I’m sold. Light contemporary romance is not my first choice of read, but I loved Fool for Love.
Joe Cantrell has been in love with Janey McCarthy since high school, but since Janey has been with David Lawrence for thirteen years, he knows he doesn’t have a chance. Then he
Mareli
Oct 29, 2013 Mareli rated it liked it
mmm not bad but a bit lame like the previous one. Too perfect from the start. He's unbelievable. Loved her since forever.

I'm still trying to find my pace into this series, that's a bit slow for me right now, but as I like this author, I'll go on with the next one!
LaFleurBleue
Nov 30, 2014 LaFleurBleue rated it liked it
As for the first book in the series, the timeline was extremely stretched for this one and only extended over one week more or less. However considering both hero and heroine knew each other since forever and that the hero felt an unrequited love for her for many years, that worked better for me than the love at first sight blurb.
The change of heart from the heroine, though possible, yet seemed too quick. However I liked how she managed to better understand and rationalize her previous relation
Anne OK
Aug 20, 2011 Anne OK rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-reads
Splendidly written, captivating characters, heartwarming romance. This book was just a joy to read.
Ronel
May 17, 2014 Ronel rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This second installment in The McCarthy's of Gansett was a difficult book to rate for me. In this book Joe is given hope that his long unrequited love for Janey McCarthy might finally be returned, after she walked in on her fiance David cheating on her.

First of all, I had issues with the story. It does not matter how bad or non-existing a relationship is by the time you end it, if you were with someone for 13 years it certainly takes more than 2 weeks to get over it. I know that throughout the b
  • Let Me Be the One (San Francisco Sullivans, #6; The Sullivans, #6)
  • Dead Heat (Bluegrass Series, #3)
  • Just Perfect (Perfect Trilogy, #2)
  • Soul Deep (I-Team, #6.5)
  • Animal Attraction (Animal Magnetism, #2)
  • Holly Lane (Destiny, #4)
  • Innocent Secretary...Accidentally Pregnant
  • His Wicked Promise (MacKay, #2)
  • Her Best Friend
  • Yours to Keep (Kowalski Family, #3)
aka M.S. Force

About the Author
About the Author
***Start reading Marie's New York Times Bestselling Gansett Island Series today with Maid for Love, free on Amazon. You can also sign up for Marie's newsletter at marieforce.com on the left hand side of the page.***

Marie Force is the New York Times bestselling author of contemporary romance, including the Gansett Island Series, which has sold more than
More about Marie Force...

The McCarthys of Gansett Island (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Maid for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, #1)
  • Ready for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, #3)
  • Falling for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, #4)
  • Hoping for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, #5)
  • Season for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, #6)
  • Longing for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, #7)
  • Waiting for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, #8)
  • Time for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, #9)
  • Meant for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, #10)
  • Gansett After Dark (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, #11)

“Download A Sample of Books” 0 likes
“It wouldn’t do for the owner of the Gansett Island Ferry Company to be seen falling down drunk at the island’s landmark hotel. He knew that,” 0 likes