Start by marking “The Dyke and the Dybbuk: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Dyke and the Dybbuk: A Novel

The Dyke and the Dybbuk: A Novel

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Dybbuk Kokos, a soul-stealing demon of Jewish folklore, is freed after 200 years trapped inside a tree. She seeks the descendant of the woman she was to haunt long ago--but finds the unexpected in Rainbow Rosenbloom.
Published September 18th 1998 by Seal Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Dyke and the Dybbuk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dyke and the Dybbuk

Marty
I loved this book. It was a funny twist on the traditional-beliefs-clashes-with-contemporary-culture comedy of errors. Kokos, the dybbuk in question, is released from captivity after several generations to find that the distant relative of her last victim is gay and that the diabolical organization she works for has become a supernatural global conglomerate, Mephistco. Determined, despite new corporate red tape and shifting values, to make good on the curse that she was 'hired' to carry out, Kok ...more
Jeanette
this was such a great book! it had romance, comedy, demons, jewish culture and religion, lesbianism- just awesome! intelligently written and i learned a lot about the jewish culture.

kokos is a dybbuk (demon) who has been trapped in a tree for 200 years. she is released and sets out to finish off a curse she was called on to do.

the curse is on rainbow- a loveable jewish dyke whos parents are deceased and who now is watched over by her gaggle of jewish aunts.

the story between the two of them is
Deb
Even demons have it rough. After being trapped in a tree by "one of those miracle rabbis", our narrator returns to Hell only to find out that, not only has Hell been taken over by another Firm, her own performance rating is rock bottom and her new job makes that tree look good. Determined to finish her previous assignment by tempting the ancestor of her last target, she possesses a lesbian film critic who suddenly finds herself yearning over a very beautiful and very Orthodox young woman...
Yan
Warm and witty - a good read.
Margaret Heller
A dybbuk posesses a 20th century lesbian cabdriver in London? Hell is an overly bureaucratic multinational corporation? Ok!

I thought I would love this book rather than just like it, but it got a bit sappy in places. But mostly hilarious. I had to read it really quickly because it had to go back to the library (my mom lent it to me after she'd finished it), but I probably would have anyway.
Ryan Mishap
Great fun: witty, original, and about just what the title says! A dybbuk is a demon spirit and this one, newly escaped from its prison where a rabbi had placed it, finds a home in young English dyke, who wonders why her life is suddenly going screwy. We get a a parallel story of the dybbuk's early days and a fun ending. Recommended.
Korri
The Dyke and the Dybbuk is a wonderful whimsical blend of 90s lesbian culture and Jewish lore and tradition. I enjoyed the incorporation of folk tales and gritty depictions of London and especially loved the fact that hell was portrayed as a bureaucratic multinational corporation subject to vicious takeovers.
Kathy
One of my all-time favorite books -- I re-read it once a year or so. Whimsical weaving together of Judaism and lesbian culture. Always makes me laugh out loud as the Dybbuk increasingly takes over the main character's life. I think it's out of print now -- wish it weren't!
Ellen
It's been ages since I read this book, but I remember enjoying it very much. It's a very quirky account of a gay woman's encounter with the dybbuk of Yiddish mythology, told in a matching quirky style. A fun little read.
Shiri
I found this book interesting. The relationship between sexuality and mysticism was one I had never conceived of. I also hadn't heard of the dybbuk before, and this was an introduction that stuck with me. A fun book.
Dwan Tape
I love stories with Jewish mysticism and this one didn't disappoint - it's got a truly unique and very imaginative plot. A great quick read.
Jeanette
I couldn't get into this. Maybe it's the jump into a narrative, or the slow lack of gay. I don't know.
Jesse
funny little fantastic story. espcially for the Jews. especially, especially for the Jew dykes!
Karen
A story of a dyke and a dybbuk, from the dybbuk's point of view. Funny and sweet.
Bonnie
I loved this book. It was one of the first lesbian books I read.
caryl
very good!
Cristian Saldivar
Cristian Saldivar marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Hoyadaisy
Hoyadaisy marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Hilary Krzywkowski
Hilary Krzywkowski is currently reading it
May 26, 2015
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
tee
tee marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Sheri F
Sheri F marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Hanna Alexander
Hanna Alexander marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Doc and Fluff: The Dystopian Tale of a Girl and Her Biker
  • Beyond the Pale
  • Harvard's Secret Court: The Savage 1920 Purge of Campus Homosexuals
  • Sexual Politics, Sexual Communities: The Making of a Homosexual Minority in the United States, 1940-1970
  • The Persistent Desire: A Femme-Butch Reader
  • Through the Door of Life: A Jewish Journey between Genders
  • Steam-Powered:  Lesbian Steampunk Stories
  • Girls, Visions and Everything: A Novel
  • How Jews Became White Folks and What That Says About Race in America
  • The Case of the Good-for-Nothing Girlfriend (Nancy Clue & Cherry Aimless, #2)
  • I Know My Own Heart: The Diaries, 1791-1840
  • Sleeping Bones (Kate Delafield, #7)
  • Yentl's Revenge: The Next Wave of Jewish Feminism
  • The Wanderground: Stories of the Hill Women
  • Mother Camp: Female Impersonators in America
  • The Indelible Alison Bechdel: Confessions, Comix, and Miscellaneous Dykes to Watch Out For
  • The Femme Mystique