Hockey for Dummies

Hockey for Dummies

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  13 reviews
"Gives die-hard fans and newcomers to the sport the inside edge!"
--Scotty Bowman, NHL's winningest coach and former coach of the Detroit Red Wings"Nothing gets by John Davidson. If the first edition didn't already make you a fan, then this edition will!"
--Mark Messier, NHL All-Star

"My dog, Blue, and I ran out to get "Hockey For Dummies, 2nd Edition." We give it two paws up...more
Published March 21st 2011 by For Dummies (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Hockey for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hockey for Dummies

Katriena Knights
These books are advertised as being a great way for somebody with no knowledge of the subject to get the low-down in a quick and easy form. Weirdly, I never get much out of them unless I already have some fairly significant prior knowledge.

This book's not great for beginners, anyway, though, because it apparently hasn't been updated since 2001. That was, of course, before the lockout, after which several rule changes were implemented. So a real hockey noob who reads this book is going to be wond...more
Jason
I've never been interested in sports before, but this year I got surprisingly obsessed with the San Jose Sharks. So, I did what any manly sports fan would do: I went to the library to learn more! Seriously, though, this is a good book for people like me who are new to the game and want a clear explanation of the rules and strategy (I finally know what the "forecheck" is). There were also a lot of chapters I skipped since they didn't apply to me (how to stretch before playing hockey, etc), so thi...more
Caitlin
I had never really started watching hockey until the Colorado Avalanche started their playoff run this year so this was extremely helpful. Davidson does a fantastic job describing the history of hockey in general and the NHL and provides excellent sections on the rules of the game, some of the major players, the vocabulary and even sections for those coaching or playing hockey. It's obviously not meant for those who are already familiar with the game and would likely be boring for them. However,...more
Jason
Aug 31, 2007 Jason rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hickey fans
I really enjoyed this book. I was not at the time familiar with the sport at all, but had recently been watching a lot on TV and really started enjoying it, so I picked up this book at the library. The "Dummies" series has some gems and some bombs, but this was a very well written and informative title.
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Overall very helpful. I read pieces of it as time permits since I need to absorb the information. Great glossary. Helpful explanations. Sometimes I still find myself confused a bit but then I watch games and usually I can figure it out. Recommended!
Joyce
Dated but valuable introduction to ice hockey at all levels. I got it for the glossary, the penalty gestures (with little cartoon refs!), and explanations of technicalities like "the umbrella" and "the dump and chase".
SA
A handy book to keep around if only for its good diagrams on icing and offsides. Way out of date though; definitely needs an update, particularly for the electronic version.
planetkiller
It's out-of-date, but still a very good book for learning the basics of hockey. It's great for helping teach non-fans the ins and outs.
Tara
When I got hooked on hockey, I found the easiest book I could find so that I knew the rules. Great help.
Matthew
Oct 03, 2008 Matthew marked it as most-wanted  ·  review of another edition
Because I just like to play. But, not necessarily by the rules.
Jessica
A good overview, if a tad outdated, of NHL hockey.
Tiah Keever
oh man, yes, i really did read this...
Alice
Alice added it
Jul 03, 2014
Madie
Madie is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2014
Lynda
Lynda added it
Jun 18, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Laura Truscott
Laura Truscott marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Lesley
Lesley added it
May 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
John Davidson is a pseudonym for Charles Nuetzel.
More about John Davidson...
Gospel of Jesus: In Search of His Original Teachings (Origins of Christianity) (Origins of Christianity) Subtle Energy A Full and True Account of the Wonderful Mission of Earl Lavender, Which Lasted One Night and One Day: With a History of the Pursuit of Earl Lavende Learn to Draw - Manual Drawing - for the Absolute Beginner How to Build A Portable Chicken Coop Plans and Videos