Power-Up: How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life

Power-Up: How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  10 reviews

BradyGames' Power-Up: How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life, by Chris Kohler, is a unique book that gives readers an entertaining and authoritative look at the indelible influence the video gaming, particularly, Japanese gaming, has had on the world.Power-Up is the first English-language work of its kind to examine the reasons behind the success of Japanese

Published September 14th 2004 by Brady Games

To ask other readers questions about Power-Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Power-Up

Mjhancock
Kohler investigates the influence that the Japanese industry has had on the video game. He covers most of the expected areas: the beginning rise with arcade games, Miyamoto and the creation of Mario, the JRPG, music games, and Pokemon. On a basic level, I enjoyed the book, and it provided a lot of interesting trivia facts--for example, Kohler recounts how Space Invaders was so popular in Japan that the government had to quadruple production on the 100 yen coin. But I think there were some defini...more
Shanna
Oct 30, 2007 Shanna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Video Game Fans, Japanese Pop Culture Enthusiasts
When I first started reading this book, I could not believe that this man had actually written his thesis on video games. But the further I got into the book, I realized how much research had actually gone into each chapter. The chapter on RPG's alone had enough information to be expanded into an entirely new book.

However, the chapter on where to find games in Akihabara seemed to be more like a chapter out of a travel journal.

Even more dissapointing was the chapter on video games translation/l...more
Jonah
Power Up is a fun read. It gives a lot of background into why the visual story telling style from Japan really helped re-ignite video games in America.

It is a little slow in the middle when talking about soundtracks, particularly the section on the Final Fantasy Soundtrack Discography. However, this was the only part of the book where it wasn't a fascinating and enjoyable read to me.

Kohler is an obvious enthusiast who anyone that grew up in the states during the 80's will be able to relate to.

T...more
Adam
Even though this book read like the author's master's thesis (because in part, it is), his enthusiasm for the subject has a way of overpowering the countless citations.

If you have ever wondered how the video game industry came to be and where it is going, this is book is the best place to start.

It also made me want to hop on a plane to Japan and blow my life's savings on used video games.
Sanalith
All I really have to say about this is that I love the fact I had to read it for work. It reminded me of the time I was assigned to read Pride & Prejudice for a college history class. It's just awesome when something you're really interested in becomes required reading.
Joshua
Fantastic for anyone who cares about video games,
as in, really cares about them as an art form with cultural significance.
Maybe it would be interesting if you don't care about video games, but I imagine this is a prerequisite.

Bill
Looks interesting, a discussion on how Japanese art & culture have effected the development of video games.
Joshua Martin-Corrales
Alright, basically pretty basic stuff...basically.
Kari
A very good read if you like playing video games.
Ikhlas's Mcgrath
gamer must be read this book
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Charlotte Matthews
Charlotte Matthews marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Zoey Renée
Zoey Renée marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Esteban
Esteban marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Troy Friendimension
Troy Friendimension marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Fabian Willenborg
Fabian Willenborg marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Roger Barnette
Roger Barnette marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Steven Bilyeu
Steven Bilyeu marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Kristen Leclercq
Kristen Leclercq marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Sapphira
Sapphira marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Vincent
Vincent marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Retro Gaming Hacks Retro Gaming Hacks: Tips & Tools for Playing the Classics Blackthorn: Thunder on Mars Sentinels: Worldmind Sentinels: The Shiva Advent