Start by marking “Power-Up: How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life” as Want to Read:
Power-Up: How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life

Power-Up: How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  10 reviews
BradyGames' "Power-Up: How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life," by Chris Kohler, is a unique book that gives readers an entertaining and authoritative look at the indelible influence the video gaming, particularly, Japanese gaming, has had on the world."Power-Up" is the first English-language work of its kind to examine the reasons behind the success of Japa ...more
Published August 1st 2004 by Bradygames

To ask other readers questions about Power-Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Power-Up

Mjhancock
Kohler investigates the influence that the Japanese industry has had on the video game. He covers most of the expected areas: the beginning rise with arcade games, Miyamoto and the creation of Mario, the JRPG, music games, and Pokemon. On a basic level, I enjoyed the book, and it provided a lot of interesting trivia facts--for example, Kohler recounts how Space Invaders was so popular in Japan that the government had to quadruple production on the 100 yen coin. But I think there were some defini ...more
Shanna
Oct 30, 2007 Shanna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Video Game Fans, Japanese Pop Culture Enthusiasts
When I first started reading this book, I could not believe that this man had actually written his thesis on video games. But the further I got into the book, I realized how much research had actually gone into each chapter. The chapter on RPG's alone had enough information to be expanded into an entirely new book.

However, the chapter on where to find games in Akihabara seemed to be more like a chapter out of a travel journal.

Even more dissapointing was the chapter on video games translation/l
Jonah
Power Up is a fun read. It gives a lot of background into why the visual story telling style from Japan really helped re-ignite video games in America.

It is a little slow in the middle when talking about soundtracks, particularly the section on the Final Fantasy Soundtrack Discography. However, this was the only part of the book where it wasn't a fascinating and enjoyable read to me.

Kohler is an obvious enthusiast who anyone that grew up in the states during the 80's will be able to relate to.

T
Adam
Even though this book read like the author's master's thesis (because in part, it is), his enthusiasm for the subject has a way of overpowering the countless citations.

If you have ever wondered how the video game industry came to be and where it is going, this is book is the best place to start.

It also made me want to hop on a plane to Japan and blow my life's savings on used video games.
Sanalith
All I really have to say about this is that I love the fact I had to read it for work. It reminded me of the time I was assigned to read Pride & Prejudice for a college history class. It's just awesome when something you're really interested in becomes required reading.
Joshua
Fantastic for anyone who cares about video games,
as in, really cares about them as an art form with cultural significance.
Maybe it would be interesting if you don't care about video games, but I imagine this is a prerequisite.

Bill
Looks interesting, a discussion on how Japanese art & culture have effected the development of video games.
Joshua Martin-Corrales
Alright, basically pretty basic stuff...basically.
Kari
A very good read if you like playing video games.
Ikhlas's Mcgrath
gamer must be read this book
Neinth
Neinth marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Bethany Pritchard
Bethany Pritchard marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Evan Clark
Evan Clark marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Preston
Preston marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
David Franco
David Franco marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Vladimir
Vladimir marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Riddie
Riddie marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Dimitri Gheorghiuc
Dimitri Gheorghiuc marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Kasey
Kasey marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Dillon Mccarthy
Dillon Mccarthy marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
  • Game Over, Press Start to Continue: How Nintendo Conquered the World
  • Replay: The History of Video Games
  • Smartbomb: The Quest for Art, Entertainment, and Big Bucks in the Videogame Revolution
  • The Ultimate History of Video Games: From Pong to Pokemon - The Story Behind the Craze That Touched Our Lives and Changed the World
  • Trigger Happy: Videogames and the Entertainment Revolution
  • High Score! The Illustrated History of Electronic Games
  • 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die
  • Joystick Nation: How Videogames Ate Our Quarters, Won Our Hearts, and Rewired Our Minds
  • What Video Games Have to Teach Us about Learning and Literacy
  • Half-Real: Video Games Between Real Rules and Fictional Worlds
  • All Your Base Are Belong to Us: How Fifty Years of Videogames Conquered Pop Culture
  • Supercade: A Visual History Of The Videogame Age, 1971 1984
  • Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America
  • Racing the Beam: The Atari Video Computer System
  • Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture
  • This Gaming Life: Travels in Three Cities
  • The Art of Video Games: From Pac-Man to Mass Effect
  • Dungeons & Dreamers: A Story of how Computer Games Created a Global Community
Retro Gaming Hacks Blackthorn: Thunder on Mars Sentinels: Worldmind Sentinels: The Shiva Advent Sentinels: Stellarax