Start by marking “Solid Ground: Buddhist Wisdom for Difficult Times” as Want to Read:
Solid Ground: Buddhist Wisdom for Difficult Times

Solid Ground: Buddhist Wisdom for Difficult Times

Solid Ground: Buddhist Wisdom for Difficult Times is a lively and topical book that offers guidance on how to respond to the individual crises that inevitably arise in all of our lives as well as to the political, economic, and social challenges society is currently facing. The issue of difficulty in life is at the very essence of Buddhism. The first noble truth could cert ...more
Published May 14th 2014 by Parallax Press (first published April 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Solid Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solid Ground

Lauren Teoli
Mar 08, 2013 Lauren Teoli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book helped me get through the first three months of the year- which are always difficult for me. I have a yet-undiagnosed seasonal affective disorder.

I absolutely love Sylvia Boorstein- but she only wrote the last third of the book. I appreciated the contributions of the other authors as well- but they should be listed along with her as authors! I thought I was going to get all Sylvia all the time.

Anyway- like "Happiness is an Inside Job" and "It's Easier than You Think," I'm going to be
Rubina
Dec 11, 2016 Rubina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wonderful book comprises of just three chapters, one each from renowned Buddhism teachers Sylvia Boorstein, Norman Fischer and Tsokyni Rinpoche. Each contribution provides great insights and teachings about how we can face the sufferings in our lives with equanimity, mindfulness, loving kindness and meditation.
Tobi Taylor
Feb 09, 2013 Tobi Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This rather slender volume contains three sections, each authored by a contemporary Buddhist teacher: Norman Fischer, trained in the Zen tradition; Tsoknyi Rinpoche, a Tibetan Buddhist tulku; and Sylvia Boorstein, a Theravadan teacher. Each teacher brings a different, refreshing perspective to the teachings of the Buddha. A good book to give to someone new to Buddhism.
Laura Siegel
There are three essays in this collection. I enjoyed the one by Norman Fischer which was about Alan Lew, one of my favorite people. Sylvia Boorstein's essay was also great as always. But I found the one by Tsoknyi Rinpoche didactic and judgmental. Two out of three is very good and this is still a great collection.
Andrea
Apr 18, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved Sylvia Boorstein's section so much I purchased more of her books. Offers practical advice that helped me find opportunities to practice during some recent challenges. Was sad when I reached the end. A very easy read for all (Buddhists and non-Buddhists).
Steve
Sep 06, 2015 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dharma-lite.
Rome Doherty
Jan 14, 2016 Rome Doherty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual, 2016
Pretty good meditation and Buddhist work
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
May 02, 2012
Gavin
Gavin rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Sheila McManus
Sheila McManus rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2016
Tonya Schuetz
Tonya Schuetz rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2013
Alex Krohn
Alex Krohn rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Tsoknyi Rinpoche
Feb 01, 2012 Tsoknyi Rinpoche rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Dani
Dani rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Jim Linsell
Jim Linsell rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2012
Becke Killion
Becke Killion rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2014
Ann Nichols
Ann Nichols rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Leann
Leann rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
C
C rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
C.M. Rivers
C.M. Rivers rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Kenn Wilson
Kenn Wilson rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Sister
Sister rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2011
Amanda Kaleta-Kott
Amanda Kaleta-Kott rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Larisa
Larisa rated it really liked it
May 05, 2011
Rick Abbott
Rick Abbott rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2017
Patrick Taylor
Patrick Taylor rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Huijing Yang
Huijing Yang rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2015
Hoyadaisy
Hoyadaisy rated it did not like it
May 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Sylvia Boorstein (born 1936) is an American writer and Buddhist spiritualist.
More about Sylvia Boorstein...

“Your emotional understanding about the preciousness of your human birth comes through conscious, repetitive mind training.” 6 likes