Start by marking “No Plot? No Problem!: A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days” as Want to Read:

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  5,354 Ratings  ·  709 Reviews
You've always wanted to write, but . . . just haven't gotten around to it. No Plot? No Problem! is the kick in the pants you've been waiting for.

Let Chris Baty, founder of the rockin' literary marathon National Novel Writing Month (a.k.a. NaNoWriMo), guide you through four exciting weeks of hard-core noveling. Baty's pep talks and essential survival strategies cover the in
Published September 9th 2004 by Chronicle Books (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about No Plot? No Problem!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Plot? No Problem!

Jason Koivu
Jul 13, 2010 Jason Koivu rated it it was ok
Shelves: writing
No plot?...Yes, that is a problem! Free-flow writing is like having the shits: You feel tremendous relief, but it really stinks. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad concept - forcing yourself to write a rough draft within 30 days - which is especially good for new writers, who are often timid procrastinators too anxious or lazy to even begin. In essence, what you get if you follow Baty's program is a microcosm or truncation of the usual novel beginning, a laying down of the bare-bones of your int ...more
Kim
Oct 20, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
"The biggest thing separating people from their artistic ambitions is not a lack of talent. It's the lack of a deadline."
-Chris Baty, No Plot? No Problem!

I read this book several years ago and loved it. I had participated in NaNoWriMo several times and found it a thrill, even when I only managed to get 4500 words down on paper instead of the targeted 50,000.

I think some of the negative reviews of this book come from people who wanted or expected something something different. So let me begin by
Jokoloyo
Dec 29, 2016 Jokoloyo rated it really liked it
After reading Richard's review, then I remember I borrowed and read this book years ago. I remember this book has good message for persisting in writing a novel, and mental-related techniques in writing a novel.

The NaNoWriMo is an event that some of my friends really do. Maybe this book is not for me, but I have seen it works for my friends (OK, this book slap me, if I cannot write a novel, it could be due to my lack of willpower. But that's another story).
Richard
Aug 19, 2008 Richard rated it liked it
Shelves: writing

This book is the companion monkey, printed tour guide, and pocket personal adviser on how to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days, written by no less than the founding father of the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) himself.

The official NaNoWriMo is November. But you can choose any month you'd like and follow the advice in this guide. However, it's bound to be more fun when you know there are tens of thousands of other people all over the country—the world even—doing the same thing. You

Pierre
Oct 28, 2007 Pierre rated it it was ok
How to write a novel in 30 days. Poorly. Not terribly impressed with the author's writing style or ideas. Too bad I got distracted about 10,000 words into my horrendous novel. The problem with the book is that it is all peptalk, and no substance. Blech.
Charlie
Oct 15, 2007 Charlie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: To all Nanowrimos everywhere!
Shelves: books-on-writing
I laughed so hard I cried when I read this book last year. I even photo-copies the Novelist Agreement, signed it, and taped it to my desk to remind myself of the commitment. Chris Baty's humorous writing pulls you along for the crazy ride that is the month of November with numerous pep talks and advice. Filled with stories from Nano's over the years it was simply joy to read.
Richard Derus
Dec 24, 2016 Richard Derus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 5* of five

This technique broke my years-long writer's block. It was a huge gift to me to make this discovery. I can't recommend it highly enough to anyone looking for a sledgehammer to crack the icy seas inside.
Suzanne
I am reluctant to give this a star rating. This approach definitely wouldn’t work for me, but it could have value to someone else.

The problem I have with it is two-fold.

The project’s goal is to just get 50,000 words –any words -- onto paper within a month, and that will supposedly create a basis for a novel , and quality doesn’t matter at all, because you can “fix it” later. For me, however, the act of writing involves some pride and pleasure in choosing the right words. In a first draft, they
Karen
Aug 29, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
The first time I started reading this book -- several years ago and before I had ever heard of this thing called NaNoWriMo -- I was disappointed to find that it was actually a guidebook to surviving this crazy annual event that Baty had started, in which writers commit to writing a novel of 50,000 words in one month.

What was this? I was not going to attempt something so ridiculous as writing a complete novel in 30 days. I was a serious writer.

Now, years later, I still haven't written a novel, a
Laura Leaney
Jul 12, 2011 Laura Leaney rated it liked it
This was an amusing, somewhat motivating, book to read. I want to be able to think I could write a novel in 30 days, but frankly I know I'm not capable of doing so. . . . unless I was put in prison. Hmmmm. Future crime spree?

The only quality I didn't much care for is the tone affected by the author. Most of the book is written in the manner of the "Dummies" books, lightly ironic with a come-on-you-can-do-this-madcap-zany-writing thing.

It seems clear, as mentioned by Chris Baty himself, you MAY
Richard
Aug 21, 2007 Richard rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was the most useful book on writing I have ever read. Most of such books are chocked full of enough second-guessing tactics to completely immobilize any writer. This book was a very freeing, encouraging excercise in lowering your standards just enough to remove the fear from sitting down and working. It helped me realize that creating a less than perfect rough draft of a complete story is infinitely better than agonizing over an emacculate first chapter of a book that will never be com ...more
C.J. Prince
Feb 07, 2009 C.J. Prince rated it liked it
I did NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) for four years. I didn't discover Chris Baty's book until the last year. Any book on writing will offer something. I find I can get distracted by reading about writing rather than writing. Or distracted by remembering what I've read and playing around on this site.
James
This one is fun, although the title is more than a touch misleading - it's about the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) event that takes place every November (although, of course, anyone is free to attempt it in any other month they choose.)

I say it's misleading, first, because it's not low-stress, as all the advice on coping with the stress suggests. NaNoWriMo is fun stress, but it's a fair dose of it. The second reason I call it misleading is that it would be more accurate to subtitle it
Suzanne
Jan 04, 2013 Suzanne rated it really liked it
I'm such a huge fan of Chris Baty's, I'm surprised I'd never picked this up before.

I did NaNoWriMo for the first time in 2002 and had my first (and only) win in 2003 during the days when Baty was still at the helm. Nowadays, the pep talks are done by successful authors, some of whom first drafted their bestsellers during NaNo. But, back then, all the pep talks were done by Baty himself. They were encouraging, funny, clever, and caring, and for me they were one of the highlights of the NaNo expe
Stephanie
Aug 08, 2008 Stephanie rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people who write SOLEY as a hobby; maybe not even then
Shelves: general-nf, ugh
The basic gist of the book is quantity over quality. If you're looking for a book that gives you tips on how to write a novel WELL, stay FAR away. The main focus of the book is making yourself write a novel as soon as possible so you don't keep putting it off. It's more of a "Go YOU!" cheerleader book than anything else; which is nice for encouragement, but when used alone doesn't make for a good self-help book on writing books.

Something else that irritated me about the book was all of the unnec
Debbie Petersen
Oct 21, 2008 Debbie Petersen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: aspiring novelists
I wonder why the month of November is the chosen month for NaNoWriMo? Don't the authors have the upcoming holidays and such to take away writing time? The ideal time for me would be January, when it is too cold to go out and both of my jobs slow down for 30 days or so. Such is life, I failed to hit 50,000 words, but did get a lot of writing in before days of having to work and days of endless distraction made me fall too far behind and I felt overwhelmed. There's always next year...
Angela Blount
Dec 02, 2016 Angela Blount rated it liked it
To be honest, I’m kind of on the fence about the value of this work as a craft book. It’s interesting, I’ll give it that. Despite having attempted to participate several times, I didn’t know much of anything about the ambitious (delusional?) beginnings of the NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) movement. Here we have the brain-parent himself to explain its idealist college student origins.

And explain Baty does—with humorous enthusiasm and a great exuberance for adjectives.

The point of NaNo
Cari
Jul 30, 2011 Cari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Confession: I avoided this book for years due to an overwhelming aversion to the title and all the stupidity it implies. (No Plot? No Problem! Really? Way to reduce a creative endeavor into something minor, without worth, and to a level so low even imbeciles might try their hand at it, as if there isn't enough bad writing flying around as it is.) I couldn't stomach it, so I always rolled my eyes and left it on the shelf, perfectly content in my elitist ways.

Further confession: I was, thankfully,
Yzabel Ginsberg
Oct 26, 2007 Yzabel Ginsberg rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who'd like to write a novel
Shelves: writing
I haven’t left a review on this book yet, and I wonder why, because I’ve had it for ages, and I basically read it once a year (usually in November, how surprising).

Both title and theme hadn’t convinced me at first. What, writing a novel in 30 days? Just like that? But but but! Writing is serious business!
...Except that it was such serious business that I never got down to actually write more than a few chapters, no matter the story.

This book isn’t for everyone, just like the event it concerns (N
Charles
Oct 14, 2014 Charles rated it did not like it
Shelves: dissappointment
This is not a well written book nor is this a good guide to writing a novel of your own. This is an over inflated introduction to NaNoWriMo, and nothing more.

I am not against NaNoWriMo, in fact, I participated last year and 'won', however, this does nothing more than explain what NaNo is and how to 'prepare' for it. And by Prepare, I mean, waste time doing things that are not writing to prepare yourself to write.

Do you like spending time thinking about what food you eat, and how to shirk respons
Kait
Jun 10, 2016 Kait rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and engaging book packed with writing tips and advice on how to “win” NaNoWriMo. According to their website, NaNoWriMo is “National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to creative writing. On November 1, participants begin working towards the goal of writing a 50,000-word novel by 11:59 PM on November 30.” I would definitely recommend to those trying to write a novel for the first time.

The author mostly talks about “pantsing” and there’s not a lot o
Traci
Oct 20, 2012 Traci rated it it was amazing
I, once again and undertaking the task of NaNoWriMo next month. Last year, I attempted Nano but sadly, I did not win. I put No Plot? No Problem! onto my wishlist last year before Nano thinking that it may or may not be helpful in my novel writing process.

I managed to get through about two weeks of my novel before I ended up giving up. Yes, two weeks. I feel into the trap that so many others fall into. I let my inner editor run around and critique everything that I wrote.

When I read No Plot? No
Voss Foster
I could have given this book four stars, or even three, for some of the bad advice it gives. But it's not bad advice--it's advice for the wrong person. A beginning author, deluded into thinking that you must slave away for years eating cat food and drinking whiskey needs this book. It reveals the big secrets. It's the reason I'm writing today.

Are there things I advise people against in this book? Yes. I think the strongest books come from plotting, not from blindly writing whatever you feel like
Leippya
Oct 18, 2007 Leippya rated it liked it
Recommends it for: open-minded writers, writers up to a challenge
Shelves: writing
An alternative view to writing, very fun to read. If you tend to see writing as sacred, you probably should not read it. The idea behind the book is to write a first draft very fast, in thirty days, then spend a lot of time revising. Because this book is short and the author quite funny, it makes for a relaxing read.

On another point, if you're thinking of doing NaNoWriMo, the event that's behind the book, this is a good companion to have with you. The first half is about NaNoWriMo, writing and p
Jane
Aug 06, 2007 Jane rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: wannabe writers
Shelves: writing
Last year I was introduced to NaNoWriMo -- the National Novel Writing Month, but too late to actually participate. I've been mulling it over this year -- intimidated by the prospect, but considering participating this November. This book is written by the founder of NaNoWriMo and makes the idea of writing a novel in a month actually seem doable. Anyone who dreams of writing a novel should check out the website www.nanowrimo.org! If participating in NaNoWriMo is tempting, check out this book for ...more
Rita
Re-reading it now just to hype myself up even more for this year’s nanowrimo.

Awesome little how-to book that doesn't want to make you roll your eyes all the time or "waste" your time with little exercises when all you really want to do is read and write. It's down to earth and straight to the point. A must for anyone who writes, and specially those who dream of writing but just don’t dare to JUST DO IT!
Kerri Stebbins
Dec 01, 2008 Kerri Stebbins rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who is curious about Nanowrimo, or just wants to write 50,000 words in thirty days or less.
Recommended to Kerri by: Cousin Frances!
Baty is a clever and entertaining writer, and he seems to genuinely stand behind the premise that anyone can write at least 50,000 words in thirty days or less. I actually genuinely believe him, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of his philosophy that junk writing is still worthwhile writing, mostly because I'm pretty sure I would turn a unique shade of insane if I reached my monthly word goals and had nothing usable sitting in front of me.
Lindsay
Jun 26, 2010 Lindsay rated it did not like it
Shelves: booksonwriting
This is one of those books that insists you can write a novel in 30 days. I disagree. What you have at the end of 30 days is not a novel, but an abomination. I felt like the advice in this book was misplaced and incorrect.
Sarah Jane
Nov 21, 2016 Sarah Jane rated it really liked it
I had to tap out of Nano this year for my own mental health, but the book is good and I'm sure it will help more during attempt two.
J. W. Stammers
Jun 12, 2016 J. W. Stammers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, how-to
Find this review and others like it on my blog: http://wordsaremymedicine.blogspot.co...

Along with Writing Monsters by Philip Athans, this was an impulse buy from Foyles. At the time, I never considered whether or not I'd ever get involved in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), I just figured this would offer some advice to just get through writing a novel. Now that I've finished the book, however, I wish I had finished it sooner and started July with a mission to write 50,000 words by the
Madison Mega-Mara...: NaNoWriMo 1 8 Sep 10, 2012 07:17PM
Paranormal Romanc...: A Question for Paranormal Romance Readers 12 128 Feb 21, 2012 08:51AM
The Sword and Laser: G+ NaNoWriMo Support Group 28 93 Nov 02, 2011 08:41AM
South African Boo...: NaNoWriMo! 8 41 Oct 30, 2011 11:16PM
  • Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • Beginnings, Middles & Ends (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • The Pocket Muse: Ideas and Inspirations for Writing
  • The Writer's Guide to Character Traits: Includes Profiles of Human Behaviors and Personality Types
  • The Plot Thickens: 8 Ways to Bring Fiction to Life
  • 20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them
  • The Weekend Novelist
  • 45 Master Characters: Mythic Models for Creating Original Characters
  • How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy
  • Body Trauma: A Writer's Guide to Wounds and Injuries
  • Bullies, Bastards & Bitches: How to Write the Bad Guys of Fiction
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • The Writer's Idea Book
  • The Plot Whisperer: Secrets of Story Structure Any Writer Can Master
  • Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success
  • Self-Editing for Fiction Writers: How to Edit Yourself Into Print

“A novel rough draft is like bread dough; you need to beat the crap out of it for it to rise.” 63 likes
“A deadline is, simply put, optimism in its most kick-ass form. It's a potent force that, when wielded with respect, will level any obstacle in its path. This is especially true when it comes to creative pursuits.” 51 likes