Start by marking “Ukulele for Dummies [With CD (Audio)]” as Want to Read:
Ukulele for Dummies [With CD (Audio)]

Ukulele for Dummies [With CD (Audio)]

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Learn everything ukulele--from chord progressions to playing pop, folk, and holiday favorites--and, yes, even Hawaiian music The ukulele is hot. The season one finale of "Glee" featured a ukulele. The recent hit song "Hey Soul Sister" by Train includes the dulcet tones of a uke. Not to mention the runaway success of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. For anyone wishin ...more
Published August 16th 2011 by For Dummies (first published June 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ukulele for Dummies [With CD (Audio)], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ukulele for Dummies [With CD (Audio)]

Mike Hill
Thought it would be fun to learn to play the Ukulele.

The first few chapters were very helpful, and got me off to a good start learning the basic chords. It had a few good songs in it. I especially liked learning to play the chords to "House of the Rising Sun."

After I got the basics, I ended up transitioning to Youtube videos to learn strum patterns and new songs/chords.

The middle to end of book gets into some more advanced stuff, like picking out the melody while playing chords. I'm too fossiliz
Jeanne
I've never been a fan of the "Dummies" books. This book has some good information, but the format is lacking. There is a little of everything and not enough of anything to really get going. I wouldn't recommend it.
Oddly, this is probably the uke book I use the most, even though I don't like the tone of the writing and find the format lacking (the organization of all Dummies books are the same, even when it doesn't make sense for the subject).
Stretto
This goes in to some depth of playing on the Uke. A lot may be beyond an absolute beginner but will be a continual resource as they develop.
Melanie
This book was so much fun to read and play from. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in the ukulele. Lots of great information about buying and maintaining a uke and the history of ukes, but my favorite part was that Alistair Wood teaches how to play different styles of music on the ukulele. Comes with an audio track so you can hear him play the examples. As the copy I read came from my library, I hope to obtain a personal copy of this book very soon to use as a reference and to improve ...more
The Raven That Reads
This book is super useful and easy to read.

It came with a companion CD so you can compare what you're playing to how it's supposed to sound and it's probably the best thing besides a personal instructor. I actually got the basics down within an hour, including how long it took to figure out how to tune it.

If anyone out there wants to learn how to play the ukulele, check this book out :D
Krollo
Amazing beginner's guide, took me from never having played the uke before to playing pop songs within literally two hours, and now three weeks later I'm just starting my YouTube channel. I skipped bits of no interest to me and it's not as chock-full of pieces like others, but great for skills, beginner to advanced.
Helen
I'm 20% done with Ukulele for Dummies: As recommended in the introduction, I am not reading this book in order. I headed for the care and maintenance chapter first and hit a few others before going back to chapter 1.

Done with the reading, the rest is reference and practice.
Angie
I thought this was a good introduction to chords and strumming for Uke. I'd have liked the full songs instead of just the first stanza and chorus so that practicing would have felt more like singing a full song. Makes me want to take lessons.
Katie
This book is accessible and interesting. It includes videos and audio files that really help you learn how to play. I have it on my nook and it wasn't too expensive.
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
William
William is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2015
William Benson
William Benson marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Hope Laverty
Hope Laverty marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Krissy Roberts-vazquez
Krissy Roberts-vazquez is currently reading it
May 29, 2015
Jasmine
Jasmine is currently reading it
May 25, 2015
Coley McGlynn
Coley McGlynn marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Marina Andreou
Marina Andreou marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
learning how to play the ukulele 1 5 Feb 06, 2014 05:58AM
  • Steps to Heaven
  • Bring The Noise: 20 Years of writing about Hip Rock and Hip-Hop
  • The Gift of a Good Start
  • Learning UML 2.0
  • Spend Game (Lovejoy, #4)
  • The Emergence of Judy Taylor
  • Knits Men Want: The 10 Rules Every Woman Should Know Before Knitting for a Man~ Plus the Only 10 Patterns She'll Ever Need
  • Knitting for Baby: 30 Heirloom Projects with Complete How-to-Knit Instructions
  • Wendy Knits Lace: Essential Techniques and Patterns for Irresistible Everyday Lace
  • Under the Olive Tree
  • The Day the Country Died: A History of Anarcho Punk 1980 to 1984
  • All She Wants
  • The Story of Before
  • Freeways to Flip-Flops: A Family's Year of Gutsy Living on a Tropical Island
  • The Daily Ukulele: 365 Songs for Better Living
  • The Traveller: Notes From an Imperfect Journey Around the World
  • I Wish I Could Say I Was Sorry...
  • Voice of the Lost (Medair, #2)
Ukulele In A Day For Dummies Ukulele Exercises for Dummies, Enhanced Edition Ukulele Exercises for Dummies