Start by marking “The Sound of Munich” as Want to Read:
The Sound of Munich

The Sound of Munich (Students Across the Seven Seas)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  629 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Siena Bernstein is leaving her yoga mat behind for a semester of study abroad in Munich. She’s thrilled with the prospect of a German adventure (her horoscope is encouraging as well), but she hopes to make more than just her dreams come true while she’s there. Siena’s dad, who passed away when she was a baby, kept a "Carpe Diem" list—sort of his top-ten adventurous things ...more
Published March 2nd 2006 by Speak (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Sound of Munich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sound of Munich

Prajakta
Mar 06, 2016 Prajakta rated it really liked it
I read this so long ago but still remember it to be it was an amazing book. It's such a lovely break from the action packed fantasy or distopian books I read so often. Truly, a rom-com and "chick flick" in a book. Definitely worth a read.
lovelyandliterate
Jul 11, 2011 lovelyandliterate rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
The Sound of Munich by Suzanne Nelson is chick lit at its best. It’s part of the S.A.S.S. (Students Across the Seven Seas) series which is all about a female teenage protagonist studying abroad in a foreign country and the trials, challenges and romance that goes with it. I have read a few of the books from this series in the past and this one was right in line – it definitely did not disappoint. The Sound of Munich follows seventeen-year-old Siena, a bohemian Cali girl who’s heading to Germany ...more
Nina
Jun 18, 2016 Nina rated it liked it
I read this book, I believe, in the 6th grade and remember absolutely loving it. However, with that being said, I couldn't specifically remember the plot line nor the reasons why my 12-year old self got so giddy reading it, so I thought I'd buy the novel on Amazon and refresh my now 17-year old self (which btw, is Siena's age in the book).

In terms of the positives of this book, there were a good handful:

Honestly, when I decided to re-read The Sound of Munich -five years later- I expected it feel
Karissa
Mar 16, 2014 Karissa rated it really liked it
Pros: Siena's determination in the book to finish something meaningful for her dad was heartwarming. Though her father died when she was a baby she wanted to honor his memory by finishing the final task on his Carpe Diem List. This final goal was to find and thank Peter Schwalm, a man who had helped smuggle him and his family past the Berlin Wall, risking everything. This one task on her father's list was the entire reason Siena wanted to go to Germany. One interesting moment towards the end of ...more
Istiningdyah
Apr 26, 2015 Istiningdyah rated it liked it
This is a reread for me. Though the first time I read it in another edition.
This book is probably the second time I read Suzanne Nelson (?). I like this one better than the other one, Heart & Salsa. The main character in this book is actually more likable. Sienna has her flaws, still her character is pretty realistic for a laid back kind-of-hippie teenager. Sienna's destination is Germany. No holocaust back story here. This time, it's about the Berlin Wall and freedom. Sienna's father's stor
Liralen
Jan 04, 2015 Liralen rated it liked it
And we're off to Munich, where yoga-happy, California-girl Siena is spending a semester...and maybe, just maybe, finding the man who helped her father escape post-war Germany.

Who am I kidding? It's YA fluff; of course she finds him. But it's a sweet story, and Siena is pretty likable. It was a sad, sad day when she chose studying over socializing, she says (147), but despite her inability to keep her head tied on, she's not a birdbrain -- just scatterbrained. She's rational about The Boy, for on
Wendy
Jul 27, 2014 Wendy rated it liked it
Cute and fluffy; didn't evoke Munich at all to me, though it's clear the author knows Munich and other parts of Germany well, so maybe my single week there didn't give me the full experience. I liked how much of a fantasy this was with the perfect roommates and perfect romance and unredeemably annoying Mean Girl and all problems resolved (which even made me a little teary: long lost family, Berlin Wall, etc). The aura-reading protagonist was a joke, but, well, whatever.
Shelley
Oct 08, 2013 Shelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: light-read
I just love these traveling books! I think this book was maybe the best in the series.

I liked how in this book, it wasn't just focusing on Siena traveling and finding herself, but finding out her family history and finishing her father's Carpe Diem list.

This was a light and adventurous read, along with deep and emotional. Her connection with the people who knew her late father were real, and she found herself as well her as father and family's history.

I usually read all these romance-y books,
Beth Rodgers
Aug 06, 2014 Beth Rodgers rated it it was amazing
The title intrigued me right away, as I love The Sound of Music. At one point in the book, some of the study abroad students take a Sound of Music four-hour tour, which sounds amazing! I really enjoyed the premise of this book and found myself speeding through it.
Allyson
May 13, 2014 Allyson rated it did not like it
Ugh. I knew this wasn't going to be the German version of Anna and the French Kiss that I was hoping for, but seriously. This was the worst. The writing was clichéd and the plot bored me nearly to tears. I do love a good, fluffy chick lit novel, but this definitely doesn't qualify.
Danielle Roziewcz
May 19, 2015 Danielle Roziewcz rated it liked it
Light hearted and positive, I read this in an hour and it made me miss my own international adventures
Sally
Set in Munich, obviously from the title, I really enjoyed this installment in the S.A.S.S. series :D There was of course the token romance subplot, but the main plot actually had a lot of depth - Sienna wanting to find the man who helped smuggle her father (now deceased) and grandparents out of East Berlin in the 1960s. (view spoiler) ...more
Lyra
Feb 01, 2014 Lyra rated it it was amazing
This book was really short but really good. I have read other S.A.S.S. books, and they are good.
Melenia Gibson
Mar 03, 2015 Melenia Gibson rated it really liked it
Unsure as to how to review this book.
Nana
This book is really awesme!
Erika Gustiana
Dec 20, 2015 Erika Gustiana rated it liked it
Putri Mei
Mar 02, 2015 Putri Mei rated it liked it
Jerman dengan tempat wisatanya, kebudayaannya. Bonus austria jg ga ketinggalan! Sedikit banyak menghibur aku yg pingin bgt ke austria.
Dini Novita  Sari
Ceritanya seru aja, tetapi agak kecewa dengan blurb-nya yang bilang misi utamanya untuk menuntaskan daftar terakhir yang ingin dicapai ayahnya, hal itu malah kurang dieksplor. Untuk cerita dewasa muda, yang ketangkap seseruannya, konfliknya kurang tajam. Yah bacaan santailah nggak perlu mikir or menguras emosi banget, hehe.
Lalu terjemahan secara keseluruhan enak dibaca, tapi ada beberapa bagian yang aneh. Dan secara editan masih kurang rapi banget. Not making a note, though. :)
Siena
Jun 16, 2011 Siena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: heartwarming, travel
I first chose this book because the protagonist has the same name as me. (Very rare.) I loved the whole story of falling in love with a culture. Siena starts out a total foreigner, and she leaves a true German. This book really captures the essence of the people. I liked the who theme of exploring your heritage thing too. The whole meeting with Peter was heartwarming. All in all, it was a fabulous book that made me want to travel more!
Jenny
Apr 28, 2008 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, realistic, romance
Siena is on her way to Germany from California to study for 3 months. She is hoping to learn more about her father's family, and to finish his Carpe Diem list. Her father died in a car accident before he could locate Peter, the man who smuggled him and his parents out of East Berlin. Siena makes some new friends who help her make the stars align so she can complete her dream and maybe find love on the way . . .
Megan Anderson
Aug 30, 2015 Megan Anderson rated it liked it
Shelves: formystudents, 2009
This was a cute book. Predictable, but cute. It was almost more fun to read because I knew a lot of the places described (Marienplatz, Romantischerstrasse, Neuschwanstein, for example) than for the actual plot. It would be good for people interested in other countries and or people looking for a quick read that isn't the standard teenage romance fare.

3/5 on here, 7/10 for myself
Aasha
Aug 18, 2008 Aasha rated it really liked it
Heres another to this series i liked this story too. its a bout a girl named siena who goes to germany to find out more about her fathers past and while there meets a really cute guy who she falls in love with but he is one of the advisers and there for is off limits even though he is 2 years older than her. this one is really good full of romance and adventure.
Chelci
Feb 18, 2015 Chelci rated it liked it
This was an okay book that could of been better.
For a book that I thought was going to be an easy read, I constantly had to put it down and do something else because it just couldn't keep my attention.
I may read it again but it will be a while before that happens.
Shadoshard
Feb 11, 2015 Shadoshard rated it liked it
For a teen book, it was a nice, quick read during a car trip. It was light, not overly sentimental with a solid overall plot. I would have liked a lot more from it concerning the culture and the people of Germany, but otherwise, it was pleasant.
Charmaine Ng
Aug 05, 2012 Charmaine Ng rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Just a cute, quick read I picked off the shelves because of the illustrated cover (:P). It was pretty typical, but Siena's compelling family history and hunt to find the man who saved her father's family from Berlin brought it all together.
B
Oct 20, 2009 B rated it it was ok
Shelves: y-girl, j-girl
One of the S.A.S.S. series, (students studying abroad) that takes place in a city I know well. It was accurate in places and customs it described but it was alittle too romancy for me. But teenage girls might like..
Indra
Dec 07, 2010 Indra rated it it was ok
i think that it was kind of a boring book because that could be in real life everyday so its usual. it was lind of sad because her father was dead and she is poor she goes to french and the capital city
Avi
Oct 19, 2009 Avi rated it it was ok
It was okay are the best words I have to describe this book. Nothing stuck out, nothing caught my eye, it was just a normal book.I needs a little spice and suspence in it to make it a better book
Nides
Mar 21, 2012 Nides rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dari dulu penegen banget kuliah di Jerman, baca buku ini setidaknya mengobati keinginan itu..
baca buku ini bener2 bikin smangat untuk ngewujudin keinginan kuliah di Jerman..
Barb
Jul 04, 2015 Barb rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-read, travel, fiction
Cute book. I will be comfortable recommending this to the hard to match readers - 4-6th graders reading at the 7-8th grade level.
  • Swede Dreams
  • Pardon My French
  • Getting the Boot
  • Up Over Down Under
  • When Irish Guys Are Smiling
  • Never Sit Down in a Hoopskirt and Other Things I Learned in Southern Belle Hell
  • The Center of the Universe: Yep, That Would Be Me
  • Nothing But the Truth (and a few white lies)
  • Access Denied: And Other Eighth Grade Error Messages
  • John Belushi Is Dead
  • Love, Football, and Other Contact Sports
  • Kevin
  • Knitwise (Chicks with Sticks, #3)
  • South Beach Sizzle
When she was in kindergarten, Suzanne Nelson jotted down in a school keepsake album that she wanted to be a “riter.” Though she clearly had issues with spelling, she persisted, composing cryptic poems about rainbows, fairies, mud, and even "Star Wars" in spiral notebooks all through elementary school. When she was seventeen, she filled four journals with her handwritten first novel, titled “The Dr ...more
More about Suzanne Nelson...

Students Across the Seven Seas (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Westminster Abby