Start by marking “The Small-Town Pagan's Survival Guide: How to Thrive in Any Community” as Want to Read:
The Small-Town Pagan's Survival Guide: How to Thrive in Any Community

The Small-Town Pagan's Survival Guide: How to Thrive in Any Community

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Are you living in--or moving to--a small community and wondering how you'll fit in, connect with other Pagans, and live your beliefs in peace? This wonderfully unique book is filled with ways to nourish your Pagan soul in small towns, suburbs, and any place outside the city limits. Along with Bronwen Forbes' own experiences, Pagans from close-knit communities across the co ...more
Published June 8th 2011 by Llewellyn Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Small-Town Pagan's Survival Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Small-Town Pagan's Survival Guide

Johnnietwobrows
The Small-Town Pagan’s Survival Guide
Bronwen Forbes
Llewellyn, 2011
$16.95

Paganism in all of its many forms causes many practitioners difficulties in their day-to-day lives, much of it stemming from the ignorance of non-Pagans. So it seems logical that a book on how to walk a Pagan spiritual path without annoying others would be a great addition to any Pagan library.

I was concerned that this book was going to go to one extreme or the other: That it would either be a guide to blending seamlessly i
Jessie
My previous experience with books like The Small-Town Pagan's Survival Guide: How to Thrive in Any Community hasn’t been positive. For the most part the authors are pedantic, convinced that their way is the right way (even while giving lip service to tolerance), and very much concentrated on traditional families with small children. The tone reminds me of sitting with graduate students, discussing what’s wrong with the world and how if only their advice was followed all would be well.

From page 1
Amanda
I loved this book and recommend it to my fellow Pagans (even those in the big cities). The author's easy conversation style of writing made it a fun read, and informative.
Kati
I loved the author's conversational writing style, very down to earth & open. Right off the bat she says that for the purposes of the book, if you think you're pagan, you are, and if you think you live in a small town, you do, regardless of population numbers. She shows how one can be a pagan in a town where there's seemingly nowhere to buy ritual supplies, how one can start a pagan-night-out, discussion group, or coven in one's area, how to get along with the locals (whether you were raised ...more
Denise
A nice little book about enriching your pagan path even in small-town America. The interviews from pagans were the best part of the book. Good list of resources (back of book) but wish there had been more (guess that's what the Internet is for :)

Actually got this from my local library (which surprised me). Going to buy the book so I can highlight to my heart's content!
K.E.
I enjoyed the anecdotes the author provided from her Pagan surveys. I felt those were the inspiring parts for those who have been through precarious Pagan communities or coping with the lack of it. It's a great and personable read.
Hermgirl
Not as good as I expected from an author that used to write really good WitchVox articles. She will be missed, but this was not a favorite.
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Kat Slavik
Kat Slavik marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Tabitha Dial
Tabitha Dial marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Rachel Dyne
Rachel Dyne is currently reading it
Jan 02, 2015
Emma Shaffer
Emma Shaffer marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Sahra Rau
Sahra Rau is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2014
Markus
Markus marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Erica Heath
Erica Heath marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Bronwen Forbes died April 10th, 2011 from a heart attack. She was undergoing chemotherapy for inflammatory breast cancer and it is believed that the chemo drugs were a major contributing factor in her death. She was only 48 and left behind her husband Alex and their kindergarten-aged daughter Rose.

Forbes wrote articles for Circle Magazine and WitchVox that were warm and witty; she blogged on LiveJ
More about Bronwen Forbes...
Make Merry in Step and Song: A Seasonal Treasury of Music, Mummer's Plays & Celebrations in the English Folk Tradition Mint Juleps, Mud Pie and Macbeth Revel in Step and Song: A Seasonal Treasury of Music, Mummer's Plays & Celebrations in the English Folk Tradition