Start by marking “The Small-Town Pagan's Survival Guide: How to Thrive in Any Community” as Want to Read:
The Small-Town Pagan's Survival Guide: How to Thrive in Any Community

The Small-Town Pagan's Survival Guide: How to Thrive in Any Community

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Are you living in—or moving to—a small community and wondering how you'll fit in, connect with other Pagans, and live your beliefs in peace? This wonderfully unique book is filled with ways to nourish your Pagan soul in small towns, suburbs, and any place outside the city limits. Along with Bronwen Forbes' own experiences, Pagans from close-knit communities across the coun ...more
Published June 8th 2011 by Llewellyn Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Small-Town Pagan's Survival Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Small-Town Pagan's Survival Guide

Johnnietwobrows
Feb 20, 2012 Johnnietwobrows rated it really liked it
The Small-Town Pagan’s Survival Guide
Bronwen Forbes
Llewellyn, 2011
$16.95

Paganism in all of its many forms causes many practitioners difficulties in their day-to-day lives, much of it stemming from the ignorance of non-Pagans. So it seems logical that a book on how to walk a Pagan spiritual path without annoying others would be a great addition to any Pagan library.

I was concerned that this book was going to go to one extreme or the other: That it would either be a guide to blending seamlessly i
Hermgirl
Mar 04, 2013 Hermgirl rated it it was ok
Shelves: neopaganism
Not as good as I expected from an author that used to write really good WitchVox articles. She will be missed, but this was not a favorite.
Jessie
Aug 20, 2011 Jessie rated it really liked it
My previous experience with books like The Small-Town Pagan's Survival Guide: How to Thrive in Any Community hasn’t been positive. For the most part the authors are pedantic, convinced that their way is the right way (even while giving lip service to tolerance), and very much concentrated on traditional families with small children. The tone reminds me of sitting with graduate students, discussing what’s wrong with the world and how if only their advice was followed all would be well.

From page 1
Elle
Oct 22, 2015 Elle rated it really liked it
Shelves: pagan
To start off, this book is not a "101" or an introduction to any certain flavor of Paganism.
That being said I loved this book. The author calls is a conversation more than a book, and it's an apt description. While it's not a how-to book, for the other small-town Pagans like myself, or "emigrants" to small towns, it's a fun book that gives some great tips and lets you know that you are not alone.
Amanda
May 13, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and recommend it to my fellow Pagans (even those in the big cities). The author's easy conversation style of writing made it a fun read, and informative.
Kati
Jun 27, 2012 Kati rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual-life
I loved the author's conversational writing style, very down to earth & open. Right off the bat she says that for the purposes of the book, if you think you're pagan, you are, and if you think you live in a small town, you do, regardless of population numbers. She shows how one can be a pagan in a town where there's seemingly nowhere to buy ritual supplies, how one can start a pagan-night-out, discussion group, or coven in one's area, how to get along with the locals (whether you were raised ...more
Denise
Jun 10, 2012 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, nonfiction
A nice little book about enriching your pagan path even in small-town America. The interviews from pagans were the best part of the book. Good list of resources (back of book) but wish there had been more (guess that's what the Internet is for :)

Actually got this from my local library (which surprised me). Going to buy the book so I can highlight to my heart's content!
K.E.
Jan 21, 2013 K.E. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction-adult
I enjoyed the anecdotes the author provided from her Pagan surveys. I felt those were the inspiring parts for those who have been through precarious Pagan communities or coping with the lack of it. It's a great and personable read.
Albus
Albus marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Nikita Hill
Nikita Hill rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
E Ambrozaitis
E Ambrozaitis rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Haliation
Haliation marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Jerrell Green
Jerrell Green rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Becca
Becca rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Francesca Tronetti
Francesca Tronetti rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Nova
Nova rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2016
Kandace Dick
Kandace Dick marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Archturiat C. Baumann
Archturiat C. Baumann rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2015
Theodosia
Theodosia marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Henry
Henry marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Erica
Erica added it
Aug 18, 2015
Tori Peacock
Tori Peacock rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2015
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
Jul 24, 2015
Alisha Mader
Alisha Mader marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2015
Terri
Terri added it
Jun 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Bronwen Forbes died April 10th, 2011 from a heart attack. She was undergoing chemotherapy for inflammatory breast cancer and it is believed that the chemo drugs were a major contributing factor in her death. She was only 48 and left behind her husband Alex and their kindergarten-aged daughter Rose.

Forbes wrote articles for Circle Magazine and WitchVox that were warm and witty; she blogged on LiveJ
More about Bronwen Forbes...