Start by marking “Ricky Gervais Presents: The World of Karl Pilkington” as Want to Read:
Ricky Gervais Presents: The World of Karl Pilkington

Ricky Gervais Presents: The World of Karl Pilkington

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  1,923 Ratings  ·  164 Reviews
From the dust jacket:

In this pithy and hilarious book, Karl Pilkington is in conversation with (the often bewildered) Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, the writers and stars of "The Office" and "Extras," unwittingly outwitting even these comedy Goliaths as he struggles in vain to make sense of the world around him.

Unencumbered by knowledge and impervious to logic, Karl a
Published (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Ricky Gervais Presents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ricky Gervais Presents

karen
so even though i had heard the podcasts (through alternate technology), reading this book caused me to laugh so hard that tears fell onto the book in little plips. bless this man.
Brittany
Mar 30, 2011 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am seriously obsessed with Karl Pilkington. His other books are for some reason out of print and can only be purchased used or supposedly new, but at high prices. This saddens me because I want to read everything that has his name associated with it. I love this book. I love this man. And I love Ricky Gervais for bringing him into my life.
N.B.
Oct 08, 2015 N.B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
I read this quite a few years ago and I'm laughing just thinking about it. This book is hilarious! After hearing some of the podcasts I just had to buy this! I worked in the city of London for many years, and my commute, like most peoples, was miserable. It was mainly miserable because 95 percent of people travelling into work via packed sardine can at 7am are miserable, and who can blame them! I bought this book to liven up my morning commute and it worked a treat. These crazy guys had me cryin ...more
Paolo
Jul 25, 2010 Paolo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is basically a collection of podcasts from the 'Ricky Gervais Show' along with original drawings and observations by the marvellous Karl Pilkington. Gervais describes Karl as a simpleton and an idiot, I'd tend to agree, and the questions he and Stephen Merchant put to Karl, which vary from very simple ones to deep philosophical ones, leads to nothing but hilarity.

I was looking for a light-hearted book to quickly pass some time, and that's exactly what I got.
Carla
Sep 30, 2012 Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enter the mind of Karl Pilkington, Beware it is filled with amazing theories and thoughts that mere man has not the time or inclination to ponder.
I must say I am a HUGE fan of The Ricky Gervais Show, I love An Idiot Abroad, and the Idiot II - so I am familiar to Karl's thought process. A man who says that if he was a slug that he would just end his life flinging himself into salt.
Most of the book it popular podcasts written, but there are some little tidbits strictly of Karl - such as the 5 Anim
Elizabeth
If you've heard the Ricky Gervais Show podcasts, then you've already heard the contents of this book. It's basically a transcript of bits of the show, sewn together by Karl's odd thoughts and drawings. If you're a fan of these shows, I think you'll still like it. It's a great plane read (if you're a nervous flyer like me), and it makes for a supplemental reading source in your bathroom when you get tired of old magazines. I'm not having a go at the book, I'm just telling it like it is. See my 3 ...more
Bradley
Nov 24, 2015 Bradley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Karl Pilkington serves as the centerpiece in this collection of conversations with Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, writers for “The Office.” Pilkington muses on society, culture, and history from his own unique perspective while being prodded by Gervais and Merchant. Conversations cover topics such as what Pilkington would do if he was an animal, the life of a lonely astronaut, population control, monkey news, and even excerpts from Pilkington’s travel diaries. Witness the de-evolution of a ...more
Vaughn Arjavac
May 26, 2016 Vaughn Arjavac rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karl Pilkington is perhaps one of the stupidest people in the world, according to British comedian Ricky Gervais. The book gives the reader a more detailed look at the podcasts that Karl, Ricky as Steve Merchant. The three converse about everything from the origins of words to arguments about the death of Plato. Karl's outlook on life is often ridiculed by his peers, while others consider Karl a genius. I give the book five out of five stars. Although I've listened to all the podcasts before re ...more
Mohammad Ali Abedi
Karl’s first book is the least interesting, as it is just mainly transcriptions of the conversations he has had in the podcasts. The only thing in addition to the transcripts are a few drawings and I think some additional diary entries. Karl is, obviously, one of my favorite people ever. I have consumed everything he has done. I have listened to his radio shows and his podcasts, and I immensely enjoy his TV shows. Suffice to say, I am a huge Pilkington fan. And I have finally embarked into readi ...more
Binit
Note that this is essentially a transcription of the best of podcasts that Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant & Karl Pilkington have done. You can find this content all over youtube, even the ones from HBO that have an animation of the conversations (which add another dimension to the humor). But it was interesting to read these in book form. I am still not sure how much Karl Pilkington is real and how much is constructed, I tend to think of him as creation of Gervais/Merchant i.e. there was th ...more
Rizwan
Aug 27, 2014 Rizwan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is largely transcripts of the podcasts supplemented with a few drawings and writings from Karl. If I was to rate the source material it would definitely be 5 stars, but having heard the podcasts a hundred times and there being very little new material I am bumping it down to 4.

If you haven't heard the podcasts or watched the HBO animated show, go now and watch it. It may well be the best thing you have seen this year. Definitely the funniest.

Ricky Gervais starts off in his foreword by
Kevin Oram
Jul 08, 2009 Kevin Oram rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly a great read, not to be taken too seriously... its hilarious. It provides you a unique insight into the mind of a man without logic who provides you with the insight into the mind of a complete idiot. Very, very funny.
Ashley
Jan 26, 2016 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-finished
Gotta love this man and his many adventures, not much else to say...read the book or listen to the audiobook and see for yourself! It's sarcastic and intelligently funny which makes it hard to put down!
Jason
Apr 08, 2015 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good laugh. Karl is such an odd character. Karl is a top writer too. For those who enjoyed an idiot abroad, this is a good place to start to find out about Karl's other work.
Javi Bóinez
GENIO.
Gordon
Mar 25, 2013 Gordon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First thing first - I love Karl Pilkington, I think he's brilliant. He has a way of looking at the world which just brings a smile to my face. That's why when I first heard that a book containing his wonderful rambling thoughts was going to be released I immediately pre-ordered it. Picture then my disappointment when this arrived. It is not so much that it's not very good - it's just that everything in it is simply warmed up leftovers. The book consists of transcripts of the podcasts (which them ...more
Garry
Dec 24, 2011 Garry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice, quick, easy, funny, light-hearted read, which I thought would be a nice little break from this reading epic bestsellers marathon I have found myself on, and would quickly remove another book off my big and ever-increasing pile of books to read!

The book basically consists of some transcripts from The Ricky Gervais Show podcast, and then some (actually really good!) illustrations by Karl himself.

If you have ever listened to any of the podcasts, then the content of this book will be famili
Sherrie
Jul 18, 2007 Sherrie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: love comedy and Ricky Gervais and Karl.
Shelves: 2006booklist
Ricky Gervais is the creator of The Office (British version). He also has a radio show in Britain along with his partner, Steve. Karl Pilkington is their engineer. He is either from another planet, or he was dropped on his head as a kid. Not that there’s anything WRONG with that! He’s VERY curious. And I mean, he’s a STRANGE individual. He relates his theories to us on everything from population control, simian affairs within human society, the thoughts of solitary spacemen and how long you can ...more
Sean Murphy
Karl Pilkington is an idiot.

Let me begin by saying I am a huge fan of An Idiot Abroad, Idiot 2, and his character on Derek. I am no stranger to his roundabouts of logic or his sideways look at the world. I am on the fence between declaring him outright your garden variety idiot or something more uniquely savant in the sense that you almost follow his backroads to odd and interesting conclusions...almost.

While, KP is an endearing and charming curmudgeon in the podcasts and on tv some of that ch
Suz
Jun 17, 2014 Suz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adored the podcasts. I adored An Idiot Abroad and The Moaning of Life. I'd say I'm a huge fan of Karl Pilkington. The reason I gave this book only three stars was because it was more interesting to me having some idea of who the people in this book are from the shows. Without that background, it would have been more difficult to get a real sense of character. It was an enjoyable and easy read. I'm going to pick up Karl's latest book.
Elizabeth
Jan 05, 2011 Elizabeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
The World of Karl Pilkington is a small and amusing volume of transcribed conversations between Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington that were originally podcast on The Ricky Gervais Show. As a fan of the podcast, I had already listened to a good portion of the material included in the book. Luckily there is the addition of original drawings and accompanying text created by Karl scattered between the conversations.

A wide variety of topics are discussed with Ricky and Stephen to gu
Sam Quixote
The book transcribes some of the best of Karl Pilkington from the podcasts as well as one or two from the XFM days (horse in the house!). So no new material here but you get to see lots of Karl's drawings and photostatic images of his diary (he writes in CAPITAL LETTERS). If you love Karl then you'll love the book, simple as that. A funny read for when you're on the can but nothing more. That said the brilliance of the three shine through better via audio as you get to hear Ricky's impersonation ...more
Sam Quixote
IS
COMEDY
GOLD
!!!!!
it is so hilarious i just could never put it down! it was always "one minute!!!" or "im coming, im coming!" it is true genious!
i was watching the first episode of the ricky gervais show and after that, i was hooked! it was just after the first series that i saw this book in hmv and i was just like "im having that!!!"! i sped through it far too fast which i regret because im really into like big thick novels that are really strong in meaning or whatever and it was a really ni
Chris Harvey
Jan 20, 2016 Chris Harvey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karl is a genious and an idiot at the same time. The book is a good laugh but got to say I preferred the podcast transcripts to the drawings so it might actually have been worth just listening to the podcast. However, saying that it is hilarious in places so I think it deserves 4 stars.
Aimee
Jun 21, 2007 Aimee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the UK version of The Office and/or Extras
Shelves: humor
This book is hilarious, but especially if you've experienced the Ricky Gervais Show podcasts and have heard the amazingly crazy outlook of the insane Karl Pilkington. Some of Karl's opinions include:
'The Chinese don't age well'
'Gays go out too late'
'Pets you can't hold or stroke aren't worth having...might as well have a fish screensaver instead'
'With the invention of the telly you don't need to travel'
'Finding curse for diseases is causing the traffic jams in London'
And many, many more. Throw
Jonathan
Laugh-out-loud funny, and a reminder that humour often comes through harsh treatment of others. Thankfully, Karl Pilkington seems to have embraced his role in this game.
Daniel
Jul 07, 2008 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was excellent, though not what I expected given the Ricky Gervais connection. Gervais and, to a lesser extent, his partner, come off as very mean and only very occasionally funny, but thankfully they mostly get out of the way in favor of Karl, who is the real star of this book. The man just has a truly unique mind... I'm not saying he's insightful or even really intelligent, but it's fascinating to read the apparently unfiltered thought process of someone whose brain seems to be wired ...more
Mrs. Small
A pleasant way to spend time. Karl's logic is hard to argue with, it's so stupid. I found myself ashamed for understanding him at times. He is truly an idiot.
Scott Kaelen
Jan 07, 2014 Scott Kaelen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The funniest thing about this book is, of course, Karl Pilkington himself. The man has a legendary number of fascinating and skewed theories and viewpoints. Kudos to Ricky Gervais for bringing Mr Pilkington into the spotlight, but other than that I don't award Mr Gervais any other plus points here. I used to find him extremely funny, but no longer. If you are a fan of Karl Pilkington and all his antics and quotes, this book is an absolute must.
Karl Pilkington — Real? 3 40 Apr 19, 2011 10:53AM
  • The Ricky Gervais Show - First, Second and Third Seasons
  • Screen Burn
  • Clarkson on Cars
  • Che's Afterlife: The Legacy of an Image
  • Should You Be Laughing at This?
  • The Hypochondriac's Pocket Guide to Horrible Diseases You Probably Already Have
  • Gin O'Clock
  • Gastroanomalies: Questionable Culinary Creations from the Golden Age of American Cookery
  • Men at Work
  • Niubi!: The Real Chinese You Were Never Taught in School
  • The Canterbury Tales
  • Teh Itteh Bitteh Book of Kittehs
  • What I Do: More True Tales of Everyday Craziness
Karl Pilkington is a Sony Award-winning English radio producer, poet, podcaster, raconteur and author, best known for producing and co-presenting The Ricky Gervais Show on London radio station Xfm from 2001 to 2005 and later in the form of podcasts and a television show on HBO. In October 2006, Pilkington's first book The World of Karl Pilkington was published, featuring original ideas and drawing ...more
More about Karl Pilkington...