Start by marking “Mein Winter mit Grace” as Want to Read:
Mein Winter mit Grace

Mein Winter mit Grace

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,970 Ratings  ·  991 Reviews
She was my first kiss. My first love. She was a little match girl who could see the future in the flame of a candle. She was a runaway who taught me more about life than anyone has before or since. And when she was gone my innocence left with her.

As I begin to write, a part of me feels as if I am awakening something best left dead and buried, or at least buried. We can bur
Published November 13th 2010 by Bastei Lübbe (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mein Winter mit Grace, please sign up.

Stephanie Disregard..... in find print on the inside title page it states "previously published as Grace" this news would have been better printed on the front…moreDisregard..... in find print on the inside title page it states "previously published as Grace" this news would have been better printed on the front cover :/(less)

Tiffany Dauzat
Dec 15, 2008 Tiffany Dauzat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grace is an amazing inspirational story about 16 year old Madeline "Grace" Webb, a runaway with big problems and her relationship with 14 year old Eric.

In 1962, people minded their own business. What happened behind closed doors was considered priveledged. Children were their parent's possessions and no one could say anything about the treatment of those children. For Grace, life was more complicated than most 16 year old girls have to deal with. Eric finds her digging in a dumpster behind his w
Liz
Not a feel good Christmas tale AT ALL. It is actually one of the more depressing books I've read this year. Usually by the end of Richard Paul Evans' books, I feel a peace wash over me, I felt very sad after reading this. With that said, it is very good, well written and engaging, like the rest of his books.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

If one were to look up the definition of "grace," this is what one would find: a virtue coming from God or disposition to or an act or instance of kindness, courtesy, or clemency among others. But either of these definitions could apply to the beautiful story written by Mr. Evans.

GRACE is another amazing story written by the author of THE CHRISTMAS BOX. For those who have never read anything by Mr. Evans, GRACE will not disappoint, and will most likely lea
Diane
Oct 26, 2008 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-favorite-read
I have always seemed to enjoy Richard Evans' holiday books, and this years book, Grace, was no exception. It was just a wonderful story, beautifully narrated, a story that deals with family dysfunction, and mature subject matter.

The narrator recalls his first love in 1962 at the age of fourteen..........

"My memory, like my eyesight, has waned with age and I pray I can get the story right. Still, there are things that become clearer to me as I grow older. This much I know: too many things were ke
Nely
Nov 13, 2008 Nely rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that just pains you to have to put it down. It was a very emotional, intense and sad tale. The characters are charming. Important issues are addressed in a delicate manner. I felt the ending was a bit rushed but it definitely pulled at the heartstrings - of course, making me shed a tear or two. This is my first Richard Paul Evans book, but now I am intrigued by his much talked about The Christmas Box.

I was happy to hear how RPE is using his income to help out abused c
Debby
Dec 14, 2009 Debby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-books
This is the story of a 15 yr. old runaway girl who is befrieneded and cared for by a 14 yr old boy and how their lives are changed forever because of their relationship. This is really a great book to read at this time of year too. Very profound and thought provoking message about child abuse as well. I highly recommend this book!
K.D. Absolutely
"That was the time I became a man." (Disc#5, Chapter 34)

This is my very first audiobook and I liked it. No eye strain. Gave me a break from listening to Goodtimes 89.9's sometimes-arrogant-sometimes-funny Mo Twister every morning of my life. Made me less sentimental by not listening to old songs played in 774 A.M. station on my way back home every afternoon or early evening. The only downside was that if there was an agressive driver swerving into my lane, I got distracted and I lost what had be
Laura Haney
This was the first time i have read anything by Evans, and i was impressed with the strong voice he carried throughout the book. I loved that it was written in first person, thats always been a personal favorite of mine, but this book was sad, very sad. If you are looking for an emotional driven, dramatic plot line, then you might like this book, but if you are looking for a warm, cozy christmas book that makes you all cheerful inside, please keep looking. Would i read more by this author? Absol ...more
Megan
Jan 07, 2016 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, read-2015
This book was one that I bought on impulse. I wanted to buy a book because I had money, and what else would I spend money on? I saw this cover and read the description and it seemed to be a cute light read. I wasn't blown away (I wasn't expecting to be), but I also wasn't disappointed.

The thing that annoyed me most was this: when Eric first invites Grace to live in his backyard clubhouse, he says this:

I suddenly remembered Grace and felt a strange excitement.

During the summer Joel and I trapped
Carole
May 08, 2014 Carole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, but it seemed a little contrived. The fact that it was set in the early 1960s makes it a little more believable. I would have been about the same age then as Eric, the main character in the book, but my parents would have been more aware of my comings and goings, food disappearing, etc., than Eric's were. It also bothered me that sometimes the things that Grace encouraged him to do didn't seem like really good choices.
I do like very much the things that the author is trying to
Jackie Zydek
Dec 26, 2015 Jackie Zydek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the quote..."from our hurts comes our greatest blessings."
Margie
May 06, 2015 Margie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, but have your tissue box nearby.
Rachel
Nov 18, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not an emotional person but I will admit to shedding a few tears over this one. A very touching story. I have a hard time reading novels where I know who the bad guy is and what they are doing is so terrible...it's much easier for me to read a mystery. Thankfully, this one wasn't very long so I could finish it, unlike the other book I'm currently reading Edgar Sawtelle...
Cari
"There is pain in bringing out these memories. I suppose I don't really know why I feel compelled to write at this time, only that I am. Maybe I want those closest to me to finally know what has driven me for all these years. Why, every Christmas, I occasionally slip away into my thoughts to someplace else. Or maybe it's just that I still love her and wonder, after all this time, if I can still find grace."

I really wanted to find a good Christmas novel to curl up on the couch and read by the lig
Debbie Phillips
Oct 22, 2014 Debbie Phillips rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I am not sure
A good book. A subject that is needful, child abuse, but not really pleasant. Wonderful, memorable characters. A great plot. Superb writing.

I did not agree with the affection shown between the girl and boy. They are too young for kissing. But I was glad that that was where the show of affection stopped. We have encouraged our kids to do courtship, and to wait for marriage for their first kiss, and all of them are still waiting.

I do not think it was right for the boy to hide the girl in his club
Rachel
Jan 01, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmm. So I'm not sure what I think of this book. I think a lot of the high ratings were due to the ending, and the ending was not the same as the entire beginning of the book. Up until the last 15%, this book was fairly slow, but an extremely quick read because of its simplicity-- I finished it in one sitting, just a few hours.

I just didn't really like the characters. They were both young and immature and really had no definitive personality. Eric, the main character, was so young and naive that
Glenda L
Aug 05, 2011 Glenda L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love Richard Paul Evans books ... this one was about a runaway who fell in love with her fourteen year old rescuer. She could see the future in the flame of a candle and taught him more about life than anyone. The boy grew up and told her story ... there were too many secrets kept in the old days. Because of this book, Richard Paul Evans started a group called Operation Kids ... a group for children of child abuse. What a wonderful story!!!
Chera
Nov 17, 2008 Chera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Pull out the tissues for this one! This book really made me think more about the issue of children's rights. It's a very sweet and sad story with a strong message. I knew how it end and yet I still couldn't put it down - I read it in one day. It does deal with child abuse issues, so some people may not have a difficult time with it. However, I have to say that these issues were dealt with very tactfully and without going into any detail.
Laurie
Jan 11, 2009 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this by accident, and am glad I did so. The story was not comfortable, but it was compelling. What I learned from this book is that those of us who stand by and do nothing to protect or protest the treatment of children and other disadvantaged members of our society as as guilty as those who torture, murder and abuse them. We cannot remain silent in the face of such abuse of the helpless.
Leslie
Nov 07, 2008 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Leslie by: Darcy (my mother-in-law)
This was such a great book! A very sweet story! I had to try so hard not to cry while I finished reading the book at work! I would read something...get teary eyed...and have to put it down because it was just too much! I didn't want to break out crying in front of all my co-workers! I would definitely recommend this book...especially to read before Christmas!
LuAnn
Nov 08, 2008 LuAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
Of course this book was predictable, but what does it matter when it still gives a woman a good reason to cry. The novel was easy to read, the characters changed and grew as the story progressed, and I shed several tears in the closing pages, so I would recommend it to others who like a touching story around the holidays.
Amelia-Irene
Jun 25, 2015 Amelia-Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book to have a cry rag handy...
This is taking place in the 60's... It touches on family child abuse...something that really wasn't brought out back then.

The author & his friends have established The Christmas Box International, an organization dedicated to building emergency shelters & providing services for abused & neglected children. This book launched a new program called The Christmas Box Initiative... the goal to help every youth in America who is "aging out" of foste
Harla
Jun 20, 2013 Harla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet sad read about a young abused girl and the young boy who tries to help her. I thought the book truly captured not only the times it was set in but all the emotions of young teenagers caught in such an awful situation. I felt Evans really expressed the feelings and thoughts of the boy in a very realistic way.
Loraine
Nov 02, 2012 Loraine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a poignantly sweet coming of age story where a young 14 year old boy discovers that cruelty truly exists in this world as he plays his role in protecting a young girl from the abuse of her home.

This story had a slow start but the build towards the ending was excellent.
Cyndi
Nov 23, 2015 Cyndi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't really associate this as a "Christmas" book. It was good...the setting was in Utah which gave it a familiarity to me since that is my home.
I don't know, it was ok. I almost thought about having my daughter read it until the end and now I don't think I will.
Jo Ann
Jan 17, 2016 Jo Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I suppose this could be called a "Christmas Story," yet it could be an "Any Time of the Year" story. It's a lovely, and yet heart-wrenching tale of an abused young girl, older by a few years than Eric, the Junior high boy who saves her from a dumpster and hides her in his backyard clubhouse for a few months. Their growing relationship is interesting as well as touching...she's much older than her years, and he grows up quickly as he hides Grace and attempts to save her. The relationship between ...more
Julie Drucker
I can only say that I have enjoyed reading most of his books but this one. To understand this book you would have to be over the age of 40 or you will be left with a lot of questions. Even I was left with a lot of questions after I finished this book as to why it was written, and I was raised in this era that is in the book. I guess the fact that so much has change on this front that it was hard to swallow what happened in this book. It did get his point across but I don't generally like a sad b ...more
Heidi
Nov 21, 2008 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always thought Richard Paul Evans is a great story teller. Some of the quotes he puts at the beginning of his chapters, made by fictional characters, are worthy of placement for everyday reading on my refrigerator.
Sarah Pickett
Dec 23, 2014 Sarah Pickett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not a comfortable read, but I'm so glad that I read it. I hadn't really heard anything about this book, even though I am a huge RPE fan, but I decided to give it a go after seeing it in my local library and being starved for a book to keep me occupied at work. Note: DO NOT READ THIS BOOK AT WORK. I was a blubbering mess at my desk by the end and I was so thankful to have some time alone to gather myself because I looked like a hot mess in front of all of my coworkers.

If you're looking f
Kit★
Jul 15, 2010 Kit★ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was sweet, and sad, and good, all at the same time. This is the first book I've read by this author, and I was almost surprised at how well I liked it.
Brings tears to eyes 1 18 Apr 02, 2012 07:41PM
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • The 13th Day of Christmas
  • Tidings of Comfort & Joy: A Tender Story of Love, Loss, and Reunion
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
  • The Christmas Sweater
  • Christmas Rose
  • A Return to Christmas
  • The Unfinished Gift
  • Forgotten Carols: A Christmas Story & Songbook (Book Only)
  • A Christmas Home
  • The Christmas Tree
  • The Christmas Candle
  • A Wish for Christmas (Cape Light #10)
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more
More about Richard Paul Evans...

“I think the secret to a hoppy life is a selective memory. Remember what you are most grateful for and quickly forget what your not.” 38 likes
“It was the first time that I had ever been romantically kissed. It was even better than the chocolate cake.” 14 likes