Port of Errors (Born of Tyranny #1)

Port of Errors (Born of Tyranny #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Set in the late seventeenth century Eastern Atlantic, this epic adventure of brotherly love and betrayal shadows two orphans, Davy and Joseph, who come to bond tighter than blood. But they are soon ripped apart by a tragic event that will set into motion the birth of tyrannous revenge on behalf of their loss and place them each on a daring journey to find one another.

Follo...more
Kindle Edition, first edition, 182 pages
Published May 1st 2011 by self (first published April 21st 2011)

Emily
It's kind of hard at this point to review anything historical and pirate related without coming up with some similarities between the story in question and Pirates of the Caribbean. I mean, similarities are bound to jump out, even if they are the most basic ones of being set in the past and featuring pirates as the main characters. Port of Errors does call to mind the famous franchise, but only in the way that every book set in a boarding school or featuring magic calls to mind Harry Potter.

No,...more
Karen
Port of Errors, by Steve Cypert, is a tale of pirates, tall ships, damsels in distress, tyranny, friendship, a whole conglomeration of actions and emotions and characters all rolled into one fast paced story set in the Atlantic in the 1700s. Travelling back and forth between England, Spain and France you’re taken on a journey with colourful characters who start out as friends then become enemies, then friends again. Their tale is chock full of wins and losses, and friends and foes as they grow f...more
I Read
As I reserve my five star rating for only the books I find really good and am in no way a pirate fan (in fact I've avoided all Pirates of the Caribbean films because they are not my thing), you will see that this book must have been brilliant to ear it's stars.

The author has a knack that allows you to sink into the world he has created, probably helped by his knowledge of piracy and their ships. I found the glossary very helpful also for quick, easy to understand explanations of the terminologie...more
Literary
As innocent boys, Davy and Joseph were left in an orphanage. They formed a friendship, close as brothers, until the day they were sold at public auction. Each took a piece of a cloth as their only remembrance.

As the years go by, they face their private demons in totally different ways. Joseph, renamed Daniel by his new parents, becomes a captain in the Royal Navy, and Davy becomes known as Black-Hearted, a much feared pirate. With the story set mostly upon the waters of the Atlantic, Port of Err...more
Katie
I was really surprised at how much I got into this book. The main characters are developed well and I found myself really liking some of them and really hating others. Throughout the story you follow Davy and Joseph, two boys brought together at an orphanage. They get separated as they get older and one becomes a pirate and the other becomes a great captain of the royal navy. Without knowing who each other is, they wind up fighting each other hand to hand. During their fighting they learn who ea...more
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
If you enjoy a good pirate story, you will certainly enjoy Born of Tyranny. While the majority of the story takes place on the high seas, there are instances of flashback that give great insights into the younger lives of the characters. At the center of the plot, this story shows how life’s choices can lead to surprising (and tragic) endings.

The characters are well written. The pirates behave as you would expect pirates to. At first I thought this was meant to be a middle grades book, but I qu...more
TC
Port of Errors is a swash-buckling pirate tale and historical fiction, set in the Atlantic in the late 1700s. Relationships between Spain, France and England are tentative and there are plenty of opportunities for privateers and pirates. Davy and Joseph grew up in the same orphanage, but when it was burnt down they were separated and took very different paths to end up on opposing sides. The pair are unwittingly trying to hunt down and kill each other, not realising the identity of their foe.

I l...more
Lindsay
Firstly, thank you to Steve Cypert for providing the book. I truly appreciate it!
This story is a vibrant story of pirates on the high seas. It follows the pirate Black Hearted, and Captain Sturvin, locked into a battle to the death, without ever realizing that they are, in fact, "brothers". They had grown up together in an orphanage, and through relentless twists of fate and misunderstandings, were unaware of the others identity. They fight for love, for pride, but above all else, for revenge.
I...more
Dana Burgess
I was very excited to start this book. I love pirate stories. Even as I read through the, rather slow, start of the story, I still had high hopes. Soon my high hopes began to fail and confusion took over.

There are a lot of characters to keep track of. Some are introduced in flashback so there is also the confusion as to how the flashback characters fit into the current story. Some were orphans growing up and when they were auctioned off their names changed. As readers we are privy to the change...more
Lis
Review for: Blodeuedd

Ahoy, me mateys!! Set yourself down for a tale of friendship, betrayal, heroicy…and pirates. Yes, I said pirates! Don’t we love them all? When B. send this request over, I just couldn’t refuse.

Port of Errors is the first book in the Born of Tyranny series. It’s the story of Davey and Joseph, two friends who are thicker than thieves and closer than brothers. They strike up a friendship when they meet as young boys in an orphanage. Tragedy soon strikes and they are separated....more
David King
"Port of Errors" by Steve V. Cypert is the first in a proposed series of novels titled "Born of Tyranny". It is an enjoyable and colourful historical fiction novel that involves everyone's favourite anti-heroes, the swash-buckling pirates of the 1700's.

The story is set in a time when relations between the major European powers, England, Spain and France are at a low point and the seas have become a perfect hunting ground for privateers and pirates. Into this world are born Davey and Joseph, two...more
I won this book through goodreads first reads. The beginning is really slow, but it gets better from there. The story is exciting, but the writing is not as good as it could be. I did enjoy the plot once I got past the first chapter. The pirate Black-Hearted is an enjoyably dark character with an interesting past. I liked the flashback-esque description of his life at the orphanage and how he came to be a pirate. There are a few overly dramatic parts towards the end, but there are quite a few se...more
Steve Cypert
Aug 14, 2011 Steve Cypert rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Fiction readers and YA historical fiction fans
The story follows to orphans who become very close, like brothers. There is no spoiler in saying that they grow to be enemies. One becomes a pirate and the other a captain in the Quenn's Royal Navy. But it's the journey that defines them and the twists that set the pace for this adventurous tale.

There are many characters, which may be a week point in the book. But the characters are memorable and they each add a unique twist of their own as the story gains in momentum.
Literary  Chanteuse
I love a good pirate story and this book was just that! A lot of swashbuckling action and adventure but with a really good story behind it. Also quite a few surprises right until the very end that kept me on the edge. Although a sequel seems most likely it did not leave me hanging, just an honest feeling of I can not wait to read what will happen next.
Anna-marie Horan
I liked this book. It started off feeling a little like a children's book, but it got a lot better. I did get a bit confused between the main characters and found the name chainging a little confusing, but still found the book enjoyable. It left me wanting more - in a good way.
Brittany
Oct 31, 2011 Brittany marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I received this book through the First Reads giveaway program on Goodreads. Review to follow!
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Gord
Gord marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Sierra
Sierra marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Earicka
Earicka marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Jessica Cobb
Jessica Cobb marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Jonathan Ofiara
Jonathan Ofiara marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Christopher Malin
Christopher Malin marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Shehreyar Khan
Shehreyar Khan marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Connor Martin
Connor Martin marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
kim
kim marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2013
Lisa Le
Lisa Le marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
Steve is the second child of seven born in Los Angeles, California to a wonderful mother and father. Born into the LDS faith, Steve served a 2 year full-time LDS mission at the age of nineteen in the northern half of Ohio.

At twenty-four he moved from his parents’ home in Los Angeles to Salt Lake City, Utah to try out life on his own. 2 decades later he still lives in Utah, where he found and marr...more
More about Steve V. Cypert...
Scapemaker (Scapemaker #1) Biggle and Bee Soul Feeders (Scapemaker #2)