Start by marking “Porch Talk” as Want to Read:
Porch Talk

Porch Talk (Porch Talk series #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  218 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Beloved American storyteller Philip Gulley evokes a time when life revolved around the front porch, where friends gathered, stories were told, and small moments took on large meaning. In today's hurry-up world, Gulley's observations are frank and funny, reminding us of the world we once shared, and can again.

With poignancy and humor, Gulley writes about small-town life, th
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Porch Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Porch Talk

Snow
A book that's full of charm, anecdotes, and thought-inspiring passages. Favorites include chapters on 'the social compact' -- the idea of collective responsibility, and 'the slow life' -- with its reference to a Carl Honore's book "In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult of Speed" and the phenomena of "seeking to live at what musicians call the tempo giusto (the right speed). Some good lines follow:

p.7 "'...be sure to marry someone you can be silent with and not be anxious.'"

p.69 "Beware of
Pat
Finally, someone else who is a liberal Christian and thinks that fundamentalist are tyrants who want everyone else to believe like they do or else. I really enjoyed this!!!
Patty
Philip Gulley wrote two wonderful books (with James Mulholland) about God's love and grace. They have been a major inspiration to my spirituality and to my life. This means that I have great expectations from every book I read by Gulley. I am afraid that this book did not meet that unreasonable hope.

This book is not specifically about God's love and grace in terms of Universalism. Although love and grace permeate much of what Gulley writes about. This is a different subject. In this book Gulley
Brittany
The number of times I heard the voices of adults back home coming through in this narration were too numerous to even guesstimate. This is one of the most enjoyable and funniest books I've ever read. When I first saw this book at my local library, I thought of the song "If the World Had a Front Porch" by Tracy Lawrence. He says in that song: "If the world had a front porch like we did back then,/ We'd still have our problems but we'd all be friends./ Treating your neighbor like he's your next of ...more
SaraJane
Page 7:
"We have more talk than ever before, but too little communication; so may words, but so little meaning. 'Bombardment' is the word that comes to mind - talk radio, twenty-four hour news, hundreds of television channels....I miss those days of lag time, of sitting on the porch swing with my grandmother, when large chunks of summer days would pass with scarcely a word between us, her fingers caressing a rosary, me whittling a stick, the silence full and rich and comfortable."

Page 65:
"Homes
Dee
Aug 28, 2010 Dee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Free thinkers
I always wanted to read this guy so I did. He is quite entertaining. He tells a lot of stories about living in a small town and like the book implies he loves his porch. He just likes to sit and think. He's a free thinker. Why the man ownes 64 chairs! He writes about the past and the present. He actually mentions my hometown in Indiana and going to church at the Old Catherdral in Vincennes Indiana. That was a nice surprise for me. He has a lot of common sense and we could all learn a thing or tw ...more
Douglas  Donaldson
This book is full of stories that make sense out of a word that is so abused: patriotism. It is such a wonderful celebration of the American soul without being overbearing or prideful in the least. To celebrate is not to brag but to be thankful and to relish those things God has blessed us with, and yet allow all others their unique and equally important share of God's blessings also. If you want to be uplifted by the land and character that is America without being lifted up in pride, than this ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Yes, I’d seen these books before, but the big American flag on the front cover along with a blurb about the book citing it was composed of stories about “decency” and “common sense” put me off. However, I desperately needed a book to read and this was all I could find. What a surprise. Not stories about decency and common sense as much as stories about trying to make a life of decency and common sense.

Tammy
Philip Gulley shares more heartwarming stories revolving around the front porch where friends and family gather to share stories and small moments. He writes about small-town life, his thoughts, and his Quaker meeting. His observations are humorous and remind the reader to stop and smell the roses, or in Gulley's case, relax in the rocking chair on the front porch.
Monica
I love anything by Philip Gulley. This is a collection of observations that remind me of the simple hometown days. Sitting on the porch, going visiting, finding God in the simple everyday things. Also a call to live following His truth. This is a book I wish I owned.
Denise
All of Gulley's books are just plain nice. This is one of his books of non-fiction. He is a Quaker minister. He also has a series, "The Harmony Series". It is about a town named Harmony and all (well almost all) the nice people in the town.
Lela
Wonderful stories. Reminds me of a Garrison Keller without the patronizing. Maybe a cross of Herb Shriner (who remembers him?)and Will Rogers. Has a lovely open way of envisioning God and God's children.
Madelaine Landry
A great quick read, but one that will have you returning time after time when you think: "Now, what was that story again?" or "How did he phrase that insight?" Highly recommend!
Christine Slocum
Some very funny stories in here. I feel like the title is deceptive- the stories are about the quirks of life more than preaching about common sense or decency.
Carrie Rzeppa
Love short stories... gives an interesting perspective on how we perceive people, values, etc. in modern day life. Quick read.
Heather
It's a good read. Short and simple. Some chapters were really great, others were.. not miserable to read.
Rachelfish Fish
i LOVE the first chapter. this is an extremely quick read, but one that could be read again and again.
Joyce
Compilation of short witty essays on small town life and living. A quick read. Very Garrison Keillorish.
Maria
Great book. It's good to remember the stories of decency and common sense about living life!
Amy
Quite a story teller!
I enjoyed his humor and wit.
AND opening my mind to new thoughts.
Christina
As always, Phil Gulley's work is engaging, thought provoking and laugh-out-loud funny.
Mike Hensley
Wonderful stories that bring back memories of growing up in a small town.
Peggy
I enjoy reading short stories. A good little book. Quick reading.
Deborah Joyner
An easy read, with short humorous essays about small town life.
Susan
Jan 05, 2009 Susan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Loved Front Porch Tales. Can't wait to read this, as well.
Christine

Sweet, nice, funny... Fits my sensibilities.
Joan Baslow-Temple
A gentle read. Great book to read on the porch!
Julie
I liked it, cute.
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
  • Holy Silence: The Gift of Quaker Spirituality
  • The Greatest Prayer: A Revolutionary Manifesto and Hymn of Hope
  • Too Small to Ignore: Why Children Are the Next Big Thing
  • The Hall of a Thousand Columns: Hindustan to Malabar with Ibn Battutah
  • Saving Gideon (Clover Ridge, #1)
  • Poster Child: A Memoir
  • Rebecca's Rose (Forever After in Apple Lake #2)
  • Ounce Dice Trice
  • The Hadj: An American's Pilgrimage to Mecca
  • A Plain Man
  • A Simple Spring (Seasons of Lancaster #2)
  • The Great House of God
  • The Summer Book
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
Philip Gulley has become the voice of small-town American life. Along with writing Front Porch Tales, Hometown Tales, and For Everything a Season, Gulley is the author of the Harmony series of novels, as well as If Grace Is True and If God Is Love, which are coauthored with James Mulholland.

He hosts "Porch Talk with Phil Gulley" on the Indiana PBS affiliate WFYI television's flagship show Across I
More about Philip Gulley...
Home to Harmony (Harmony, #1) Just Shy of Harmony (Harmony, #2) Christmas in Harmony: A Harmony Story (Harmony, #4) If Grace Is True: Why God Will Save Every Person (Grace Series, #1) Signs and Wonders: A Harmony Novel (Harmony, #3)

“In any crowd there is a malcontent or two, and the Easter crowd is no exception. Someone invariably demands I speak out against the Easter Bunny. I am captivated by a great number of subjects, but have never worked up the enthusiasm to preach against rabbits, real or mythic. These are the same people who complain about Santa at Christmas and want me to take a swipe at Halloween.” 1 likes
“There is a moral sturdiness to (hardware store owner) Charley that isn't advertised or boasted about, but is obvious to all who know him and quickly discerned by those who don't. Our country has lately been afflicted with television preachers and pundits who focus on our families while neglecting theirs. How vainglorious these critics seem, how vacuous and shallow they appear when placed alongside a man of Charley's stature.” 1 likes