Start by marking “School Days According to Humphrey” as Want to Read:
School Days According to Humphrey

School Days According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey #7)

A new school year and new friends for everyone's favorite classroom pet!
Humphrey is excited to get back to Room 26 and see all his old classmates. But on the first day of school, a bunch of strange kids arrive and no matter how loudly he squeaks up, they don't realize they're in the wrong room! Finally Humphrey realizes that these kids are his new classmates, and he sets
Published June 1st 2011 by Puffin Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about School Days According to Humphrey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about School Days According to Humphrey

Samantha Ray
This book is appropriate for Second Grade and Up. Written in the perspective of Humphrey, the classroom hamster. Excited to be in Classroom 26 are. He believes that they are in the wrong room, but finally understands that these kids are his new classmates and so he wants to learn all about them.

Activities:
1) Why do you think Humphrey believes the students are in the wrong classroom?
2) Have you ever had to adjust to a new setting? How were you able to transition?
3) How did Mrs. Brisbane's class
Dolores
Nov 04, 2011 Dolores rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a new school year in room 26 and everyone's favorite classroom pet is back. But this time there are new students with a whole new set of problems and challenges for him to "take care of." Humphrey's off and running setting problems to right in this wonderful addition to one of my favorite series.
Shannon
Mar 25, 2017 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
2nd grade 2017...long...3.7 reading level...kids enjoyed it. Read 10-15 pages in class each day and then asked them to read 4-5 on their own.
Emily Orozco
Feb 21, 2017 Emily Orozco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
School Days According To Humphrey by Betty G. Birney is a really fun book to read. In the story, Humphrey the hamster of room 26 has just come back from summer break. On his first day back, there are "weird" kids in his classroom and he tries to tell them that they are in the wrong room, well of course the strange students can only hear squeaks because Humphrey is a hamster. He soon has to get used to his classmates because they will be with him for a really long time. " Maybe-just maybe-this sc ...more
Irene
Oct 08, 2014 Irene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary School Kids
Shelves: children
I really enjoyed this installment!

I loved that Room 26 had a whole new class of students, with a whole new set of problems. I also appreciated that it took time for Humphrey to get used to his new classmates. Even as an adult, sometimes I have to remind myself that you can't compare people you've just met with people you've known for years and years. Friendships take time to develop.

I especially liked the way Mrs. Brisbane handled the two students whom Mrs. Wright accused of misbehaving. I hav
Dolly
Jan 14, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
This is another fun story in the Humprhey series by Betty G. Birney. I introduced my oldest to these books when I brought the first one home from England as a present. She has really taken to these books and I am so grateful, since she's read virtually nothing but fairy books for the last two years. We both read these books separately and then discuss the plots and themes. These books involve a class of third graders and the stories have a lot of moral lessons that are very age appropriate for c ...more
Eliza Snow
Mar 17, 2015 Eliza Snow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was thinking while reading this book, how I would recommend it to teachers or those studying to become teachers for elementary school grade levels. It is interesting and cool to learn how the teacher, Mrs. Brisbane, manages the classroom and resolves conflicts with students (or a group) that Humphrey the Hamster gets to see. Her techniques are clever and of course Humphrey's plans to help out are just as clever too. He simply cannot talk to the students like Mrs. Brisbane does so instead, he c ...more
Squibart
Jan 04, 2015 Squibart rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
We haven't read any of this series besides this book and it is admittedly for a younger target audience. While Humphrey is cute the story was boring. I don't see a beginning reader being motivated by a story with little plot such as this. It is predictable and repetitive but not really in the way that supports learning. Humphrey describes everything as "unsqueakably" good or other simple adjective. We started using it as a game- with each unsqueakably we had to do 10 jumping jacks or clap 5 time ...more
Sophie Muller
Nov 18, 2016 Sophie Muller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit irritated with Humphrey thinking that the new students in Mrs. Brisbane's class were not in the right class (it went on for too long), but as usual, the rest of the book was very uplifting. I especially liked the conflict between Rolling-Rosie and Helpful-Hollie, and how Humphrey summarized the issue: "It is actually possible to be too helpful". Hollie offers to help her classmate who is in a wheelchair, but her help is often unasked for which creates tension. Rosie is really indepen ...more
Elaine
Dec 14, 2013 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in this series! I liked that there's a new set of students (new school year), with a new set of issues to deal with-keeps the story fresh. The old students make an appearance here and there, which was a nice way to connect the two school years. This one dealt a lot with learning to get along with new people and working together. There was also a plotline about a student that had issues with being on time/getting distracted, and although they resolved it, I don't think it was a ...more
Gail
Jun 01, 2012 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audience: Grades 2 and up classroom teachers and students
Appeal: This book is told from the point of view of the classroom pet hamster, Humphrey. It is an "unsqueakably" good read aloud. It deals with beginning a new school year. It would be great for students that are nervous about starting a new school year. Humphrey adds a new "rule for school" at the end of each chapter.

The first Humphrey book, The World According to Humphrey, was the intermediate Nebraska Golden Sower Award winner in 2008.

laurenpie
Oct 09, 2013 laurenpie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Just okay, boring and cutesy

A children's chapter book, a little boring but okay. A little cutesy (which for me is a negative).

I think the reading level is significantly higher than the story-interest grade-level. In other words, the story itself, if read aloud, would appeal to Kindergarten and 1st graders, but the reading level is at least 2nd grade. I could be wrong, I'm not an elementary school teacher. This opinion is based only on what I myself liked to read as a child, and what my own kids
Suzanne
Oct 10, 2014 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a cute children's book series. I read this book with my son and we both enjoyed it very much. Humphrey the hamster is a very entertaining narrator and the problems that he, Mrs. Brisbane, and the students in her class face each day were all problems that were easy for my son to relate to so it made for a very engaging read for him. He's already begging me to take him back to the library to get another Humphrey book so he can see what happens next in Mrs. Brisbane's class.
Jnase1
Sep 24, 2013 Jnase1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Humphrey book I have read so I didn't really know who some of the characters were that Humphrey referred to, but it didn't really interfere with my understanding of the plot. The story did seem to drag out, like the author was trying to make the story longer than it needed to be, but I think children 9 and under would still enjoy this series. It's a good step up from beginning chapter books into a bit longer chapter book. It would also make for a good read aloud.
Heather
Oct 01, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My son brought this home after his teacher read it to the class. He and I then read it together. I can't believe I hadn't been introduced to Humphrey and Og before now. What fun characters Ms. Birney has created. Humphrey the hamster gives his new friends a lot of "help" to learn how to work together and go from being the "worst class ever" to the "best class ever". I can't wait to read some of the other adventures.
Monika
Dec 09, 2012 Monika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so obsessed with Humphrey books!
They are so good!!
This book is about Humphrey going back to school from summer vacation.
(he is the classroom hamster).
But when he comes back Humphrey notices that all of his friends are gone!
the students are all different.He gets confused.
I highly recommend this book :)
Marina
This is an excellent book for read aloud in the beginning of the school year for 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade. It can produce excellent discussions on the elements of a classroom, including classroom procedures, rules and regulations. The main character, the classroom hamster, does excellent analysis on student relationships in the lower primary grades.
Lorraine
Sep 30, 2015 Lorraine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading the Humphrey books. In School Days - it's the first day of a new school year. So that means Room 26 gets a new class. Like Humphrey, I wasn't sure if I would like the new class as much as the original class, but luckily the author did a great job with this. I ended up enjoying this book as much as all the previous ones. I look forward to reading the rest in the series!
Candy
Read this book so I could discuss with my grandchildren. Kitty Hawk Elementary School in NC is having the entire school read this book. It is their first chapter book.

Considering all the differnt characters and events there will be much to discuss.
Jane
Feb 23, 2013 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the Humphrey series for 7 year old girls (my 10 year old listens too). I liked this one in particular because it addresses the issue of changing classrooms, teachers and class mates at the beginning of the school year.
Katherine
Sep 18, 2011 Katherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elementary
Sixth installment in the Humphrey series. Humphrey is a golden hamster and the perfect classroom pet. Of course, his job is to help the students, and he does his job well. This particular book finds him welcoming a new class to Room 26.
Juliette Molina
Oct 27, 2014 Juliette Molina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much that I all ready can't wait to move to 4th grade! To a class hamsters point of view starting a new school year is very confusing aspeashily when you can't wait to see your old friends:)
Sarah Beneke
May 28, 2015 Sarah Beneke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jake
Another great Humphrey adventure! This one takes you into a new school year with a new group of students. Hard for Humphrey at first (and maybe a little hard for us as we liked the kids from last year's class) but we all ended up liking the new group! Such a fun series!
Halle
Humphrey is excited to get back to room 26 and see his old class mates but when he gets to room 26 he notices that these are not his class mates from last year so Humphrey has to find out where his old class mates have gone.Where do you think his class mates have gone?
Kaitlyn Fauth
May 27, 2013 Kaitlyn Fauth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE HUMPHREY! he is so cute
I
Oct 02, 2016 I rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think Hunphrey was very good at getting used to new people and I loved this book!
Jeffrey K
Jan 20, 2017 Jeffrey K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to read a good book with a hamster and a frog then read according to Humphrey.
I think it is good book because it is very funny.
deepa
Dec 11, 2015 deepa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hamstery!
Elodie
Dec 05, 2011 Elodie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ?
Recommended to Elodie by: ?
i gave this book 0 stars because i haven't even read it before!!!
Aly
Jun 30, 2012 Aly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
  • Princess Posey and the Perfect Present (Princess Posey, #2)
  • Penguins
  • The Night I Flunked My Field Trip
  • Sylva and the Fairy Ball
  • Stallion by Starlight (Magic Tree House, #49)
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret
  • Amy and the Missing Puppy (Critter Club, #1)
  • Riddles and Danger (The Secret Zoo #3)
  • April Adventure (Calendar Mysteries, #4)
  • Princess Ellie to the Rescue (Pony-Crazed Princess #1)
  • Andrew Lost In the Kitchen (Andrew Lost, #3)
  • Amelia Bedelia Road Trip! (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books, #3)
  • The Three Pickled Herrings (Wings & Co, #2)
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
  • Palace of Dreams (The Familiars, #4)
119740

From kindergarten through graduation, I attended school in Affton, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis. Then I graduated from Webster College (now Webster University) in Webster Groves, Missouri. Of course, I majored in English and kept on writing.

After working in advertising in St. Louis, Missouri and in Chicago, Illinois, I eventually moved to Southern California. First, I worked for Disneyland (fun
More about Betty G. Birney...

According to Humphrey (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The World According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #1)
  • Friendship According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #2)
  • Trouble According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #3)
  • Surprises According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #4)
  • Adventure According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #5)
  • Summer According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #6)
  • Mysteries According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #8)
  • Winter According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #9)
  • Secrets According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #10)
  • Imagination According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey #11)

“exhausted” 0 likes