Start by marking “Memory Prime” as Want to Read:
Memory Prime

Memory Prime (Star Trek: The Original Series #42)

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  782 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Memory Prime - It is the central core of an immense computer library -- an elite network of research planetoids. Here, the Pathfinders -- the only artificial intelligences legally permitted to serve the Federation -- control and sift the overwhelming dataflow from thousands of research vessels across the galaxy...

Now the greatest scientists in the Federation have gathere

Mass Market Paperback, 309 pages
Published October 1st 1988 by Pocket Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Memory Prime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memory Prime

Imzadi by Peter DavidUhura's Song by Janet KaganSpock's World by Diane DuaneYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinEnterprise by Vonda N. McIntyre
Best Star Trek Books
113th out of 245 books — 181 voters
Uhura's Song by Janet KaganThe Vulcan Academy Murders by Jean LorrahSpock's World by Diane DuaneYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinIshmael by Barbara Hambly
Best Star Trek The Original Series Books
34th out of 62 books — 52 voters

More lists with this book...

Steve
This book was okay. I found it hard to get through, but I have to give it points for pulling the wool so far over my eyes that I couldn't see the overarching plot until the big reveal at the end. I was disappointed with who the villain was, and the outcome of that, but conversely, was surprised as the resolution and its outcome.
Daniel Kukwa
Jul 21, 2014 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
The first of many contributions to "Star Trek" by the Reeves-Stevens writing team, and it's still one of their best. Once again, authors realize that the best way to combine science & action/adventure is to fill a story with fully realized, sympathetic characters, overflowing with development & realism. Throw in some nifty ideas about artificial intelligence, and some lovely future continuity touches to the (at the time, brand new) TNG universe, and the end result is another solid, engro ...more
A
Apr 03, 2015 A rated it liked it
I did enjoy this and it was better than a lot of pro novels, but a few things pulled it down. Having just read the Reeves-Stevens' later work, Prime Directive, it struck me how very similar the bones of the plots were in both novels. The leading members of the crew suspected of severe wrong-doing, a fight to save the ship, artificial intelligence playing a part which was very similar to the insect like intelligence that features in Prime Directive. This book felt like a study for the later one. ...more
Robin
Aug 09, 2015 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
So, I normally don't read Star Trek novels unless I have been assured that they are really very, very bad. So bad they're hilarious.

That was not the case with this one. It ended up on my TBR pile through a series of coincidences. I picked it up at a used book store because I couldn't find anything else I wanted on the shelves, and I feel guilty leaving book stores without buying something. Especially used book stores. So I figured, well, my sister loves these old Star Trek novels, I'll just give
Chelsea
May 09, 2013 Chelsea rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I felt that this was a good Star Trek novel. I liked that it kept to the world of the series and did not try to add too much extra lore to the Star Trek universe. I also found that that characters were faithful to the characterization from the television series. I felt that this book would have fit in nicely with the series and I believed that this adventure happened in the Star Trek Universe. This book had plenty of action and mystery to keep me interested.
Rebecca
Jun 08, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, read2009, startrek
Putting the sci back in scifi. Lots of AI and what-does-it-mean-to-be-human philosophy going on here, which is the way I like it. Spot on characterization, humor, fleshing out a minor female character from the show, intrigue and hijinx. I strongly approve. (The whole secret vulcan history is very meh and the accompanying murder mystery silly and convoluted, but that's ok.)

The klingon revisionist history of the nobel prizes is entertaining.
Stephen Fender
Mar 21, 2013 Stephen Fender rated it really liked it
Really REALLY good Trek novel. The characters were very true to form, the plot was well conceived, and everyone was multi-dimensional. Just when it seemed like it was about to bog down, it picked itself up and slapped my across the face and told me to pay attention. A real rollercoaster of an adventure, and I ate up the dialog was like it was sugar. Veteran Trek writer: Winner.
Dean
Jun 19, 2014 Dean rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Though the ending seemed a bit rushed and chaotic, this was a real good ' trek.' This is one of the first Star Trek books that I have read in a while that read like a real mystery. Years ago, a gifted teacher and Sarek loving professor at WSU told me about this planetoid and the computer that calculated the full value of Pi. It was a great read. Thanks Professor. ;)
Nicole
Jul 11, 2008 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Well, I am pleased to find that someone writing for the Star Trek books ha bothered to research their science enough to use it well with the story.
This is the best one of those I've read that requires a good use of technical explanation. That may also be because it was outside my main field of biology primarily. Someone well versed in AI may find more flaws than I did.
Mike Grady
Jul 12, 2013 Mike Grady rated it liked it
Shelves: current-year
An interesting entry into the Star Trek (Original Series) pantheon. Written in the late 1980's, when personal computing was still a niche utilized by few, the language used by the authors to describe the computer network as w little difficult to correlate to current computer terms. Otherwise, it was an engaging read that holds the readers interest.
Sean Randall
Dec 28, 2009 Sean Randall rated it really liked it
I have these TOS spirts but am determined to hold Lorra's last title until 2010, so picked something different to keep me going.

Heavy on warp theory and, joy of joys, more Vulcan T'Pel-esk stuff. Very enjoyable to read, another one gobbled in a single sitting. The whole robot thing was a little contrived, perhaps - but a good yarn nonetheless.
Michael Hanscom
A horrid cover, incorporating elements from the novel but bearing no real relation to any particular event in the story, didn't have me expecting much. However, this was one of the better Trek novels, with some interesting ideas as to the "universe" that future AIs might perceive.
Menion
Sep 14, 2014 Menion rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
I could not even finish this one. A complete bust. The plot was not well thought out at all. No need to waste time on it-I suppose when you have a book series that numbers in the nineties, you are going to run into a clunker now and then.
Travis
Jun 30, 2008 Travis rated it did not like it
Shelves: star-trek
Probably not a good sign that even after reading the description of this book, I have no memory past the fact that I know I read it in college.
There are a ga-zillion Trek books out there and unfortunately every few are that memorable.
Bradley
Dec 28, 2013 Bradley rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story. It was fun and had some unexpected twists. Definitely a keeper. =)
Dustin
I remember getting this from a used book store. It was a fun, light read, and the character's voices were true to the series. I'd recommend it for fans of the original series.
Travis
Mar 06, 2010 Travis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
There's an evil computer, but that's about all I remember.
Read a ton of these in high school and college and have no memory of almost 3/4 of them.

R J Mirabal
Feb 14, 2013 R J Mirabal rated it really liked it
"Great Classic Star Trek fun with all our favorite characters. Interesting technical details about the Pathfinders. Satisfying ending with a few surprises."
Nicolas
Dec 14, 2015 Nicolas rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
This one just didn't do it for me. It took way to long to get to the point. When it finally did, it wasnt that great.
Mainrun
Feb 03, 2013 Mainrun rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science, fiction
This is my favorite Star Trek book. A GREAT book to read on a LONG plane trip.
Benjamin Plume
I like my Star Trek, but this one didn't quite grab me.
Wetdryvac
Jan 05, 2011 Wetdryvac rated it it was amazing
A favorite of ST:TOS. Very clever working of AI ideas.
Bev
Gary Nealy, Jr.
Gary Nealy, Jr. rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Genlady
Genlady marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Randy
Randy added it
May 19, 2016
Garrett Shepard
Garrett Shepard marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Hailey Joslin
Hailey Joslin rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
  • Dreams of the Raven
  • Sanctuary
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • Enemy Unseen
  • Dwellers in the Crucible
  • Crisis on Centaurus
  • Shell Game
  • Triangle

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire