Start by marking “Breathe (Sea Breeze, #1)” as Want to Read:
Breathe (Sea Breeze, #1)

Breathe (Sea Breeze #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  63,752 ratings  ·  3,228 reviews
Sadie White's summer job isn't going to be on the beach life-guarding or working at rental booths like most kids her age. With her single mother's increasing pregnancy and refusal to work, Sadie has to take over her mother's job as a domestic servant for one of the wealthy summer families on a nearby island.

When the family arrives at their summer getaway, Sadie is surprise
Published May 16th 2011 by Wild Child Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Breathe, please sign up.

Hannah Jones Rosemary Beach. Though both series are absolutely amazing and you'll love them both, I would say Rosemary Beach because certain events that occur with…moreRosemary Beach. Though both series are absolutely amazing and you'll love them both, I would say Rosemary Beach because certain events that occur with certain characters are before other events that you'll read about in books down the line in the Sea Breeze series. But whichever you choose they are amazing series, and I've read them multiple times.(less)
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesHopeless by Colleen HooverEffortless by S.C. StephensSlammed by Colleen Hoover
Best Book Boyfriends
60th out of 6,044 books — 21,408 voters
Thoughtless by S.C. StephensBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireLove Unscripted by Tina ReberEffortless by S.C. StephensWhere She Went by Gayle Forman
I'm a Celebrity. Love me!
6th out of 599 books — 1,672 voters

More lists with this book...

This book is completely ridiculous. I don't mind some amount of cheesiness, a lot of YA books have some bits, but here I wasn't sure whether to cry or laugh out loud, every page was drooling with lovesick babbling. The characters, the setting, the way they talk, none of that felt REAL for a single second.

It was light reading, there weren't any particularly boring passages but it lacked any truth in it. I know that when you read fantasy there is the supernatural element that doesn't make it real
Number of times I rolled my eyes: 20
Number of times I was taken by surprise: 1
Number of times I thought about DNFing: 1

This was the cheesiest book I’ve read this year. I may not have chosen the right story as first one read by this author of whom I only heard positive things. Don’t think I hated it, because I didn’t, but it definitely was a book I could have skipped.

The love-triangle took me by surprise. I did not expect it and was sure that it was going to be very simple as in Sadie meets Jax (
Stacia (the 2010 club)
The more I sit on this book and think about it, the more I've discovered that I really didn't like anything about Breathe and that rounding up to 2 stars was my way of being nice and not completely trashing the book. After time, I started to realize that there was nothing about these characters or story which appealed to me (other than Marcus). Maybe it's because I did actually end up enjoying the following book in this series Because of Low (which proves I'm not in any sort of anti-Glines camp) ...more
I'll admit that I originally picked up this novel because of the cover. No, not the cover it currently has, but the new cover it is going to be receiving. Unfortunately, I find myself regretting my decision to pick up this book and find myself wishing that I was not so easily swayed by my sense of vision. I got a little past the half-way point of this novel before deciding that I simply could not read another sentence of this book. I don't mean to be rude, but this story practically has nothing ...more

Seventeen year-old Sadie White just moved from Tennessee to the Alabama coast with her mother. Her mother, who she refers to as Jessica, is very pregnant by a loser-du-jour boyfriend. Sadie's mom refuses to work anymore, so Sadie has no choice but to try and take over her mother's job as a domestic servant in a swanky mansion. Little does Sadie know that this is the home of the very famous, drool-worthy, Jax Stone, the teen-heart-throb singer. Normally, they wouldn't hire a teenage girl to work
Clear case of Mary Sue-ism and taking the templates of Twilight's Bella and Edward into the world of "rock 'n roll".

Bella Sadie was gorgeous but felt she was dull and not worth anyone's notice, and she was the grown up, her mother was hopeless about paying bills and remembering to use condoms. She also had less personality than a stale Ritz cracker that you find covered in dust bunnies and cat fur under the couch during spring cleaning, and about as much appeal (to me at least). Her speech was
Sadie White had to grow up fast. Her mother has never been one to act like an adult. It's Sadie's job to look after her. Pregnant with her second child, Jessica isn't about to own up to her responsibilities. However, someone has to pay the bills and sending Sadie to work in her place seemed like a good idea.
Working as a domestic servant for a wealthy family, Sadie never in her wildest dreams expected it to be the house rockstar Jax Stone spends his summer at, trying to escape his hectic lifestyl
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Yet another YA romance that has managed to garner far more positive reviews than it deserves. I don't expect much from these books, but sympathetic characters are kind of important, and the only characters I could bring myself to sympathize with at all were the peripheral characters (NOT Marcus, I didn't like him much, either). Ms. Mary was sweet and unassuming and the gardener (forgot his name already) could have been amazing, but he was underutilized.

Sadie is a young girl who's had to grow up
The only positive that I can recall is Marcus… and frankly, he could be just as predictable as the rest.

At one point I found myself comparing BREATHE to those older Regency romances. And while this is by no means a bodice ripper, it’s got the same feel to it. What with its poor girl who doesn’t think that much of herself, that and the fact that she’s got ‘the weight of the world on her shoulders,’ (yes, someone in the book actually says that about her.) Said weight is embodied mainly in a mothe
TEEN GOLD! *with caveat--- I know young girls everywhere who fantasize about catching the eye of a major star would absolutely LOVE this. As for Moi, an adult mommy, I felt kinda weird reading this because it felt soooo young!

*Yes, it was cheesy.
*Yes, grown women reading this *will* roll their eyes. (view spoiler)
*Yes, the heroine is naive.
*Yes, there are many clichéd lines
Duchess Nicole
Started off really great but lost steam somewhere in the middle. A ton of melodrama and some very teenage feelings/thoughts on love sort of killed the depth factor for me. The end left me a little disappointed with regards to how Sadie's loser mother spent her entire motherhood leaning on her daughter for support but never had a harsh word said to her about it. I'm all about the bad guys having lessons taught, and while she wasn't exactly a villain, she was far from the supportive mother that sh ...more
Kahina .
This book stayed in my to-read list for a long time I guess. It’s been time I put it out and see what it hid. In fact, I didn’t really want to read it. But then I told myself “Oh, come on! This is Abbi Glines! You won’t regret it!”
So I instantly got the book and read it. Even stayed up all night to finish it.
And I am so happy I did!!
I have two reviews waiting to be done but I am going to write this one first since I MORE than ADORED this book <3

The Cover:

To be honest, I didn’t like it. The
This book is bad. Really bad. It's every YA romance novel cliche wrapped up into one with really poor writing and really boring characters.

The whole Cinderella trope is always fun when done well - I don't even mind that it's a cliche. Disney channel seems capable of making a zillion teen remakes of Cinderella that are cute and fun. This book falls totally flat though.

Sadie is the Mary-est Sue of Mary Sues. She is drop dead gorgeous, but doesn't realize it. She thinks she has no personality (and
Rating Clarification: 3.5 Stars

When Sadie White moves from Tennessee to Alabama with her pregnant, single mom, she immediately begins to take over the family responsibility of keeping a roof over their head. That includes becoming the hired help for the famous rock-star Jax Stone. Sadie works hard to prove herself to her new boss Ms. Mary in the hopes that she’ll give her a chance to keep her job throughout the summer while her mom waits to give birth.

During her time at Jax’s house, she runs in
I`m already giving this book 5 Stars no matter I still have to finish it because one thing I`m sure about that when I'll be done with Breathe I want to shower it with Zillions OF STARS!!!

Meet my Sadie White

Jax Stone

“Your touch is my only addiction.
Your heartbeat takes my breath away.
You’ll break my heart if you don’t stay.
Your whispers sing to me each night,
and your laugh is my only sun.

“Hold me and whisper you love me.
Hold me and tell m
Well, that was absolutely adorable! You can definitely tell that this was her first novel though after reading some of her most recent ones, but it was still so good! There was a small case of insta love but I was swooning the whole time anyway! Eeeeeek! I honestly wanted to punch Jessica so hard and I love Marcus and I just can't even fathom how Abbi Glines manages to get you so attached to characters so quickly! So cute.
Lisa Jayne
This book was good not great, the characters were likeable enough but surprisingly it was a sub character that had my attention the most. Marcus - the best friend of Sadie, he was warm loyal and unfortunatly fell in love with the feelings not returned. The relationship between the two lead characters Jaxx Stone (famous rock star and heart throb) and Sadie white (hard working 'everyday' working class beauty) happened so quickly and didn't really ring true as an epic romance. The storyline and cha ...more
Sweet, fun Cinderella story. Sadie is the responsible adult in her relationship with her mother, Jessica, who's managed to get herself knocked up by some guy who's irresponsible and gone. When her mother's laziness (she blames it on her pregnancy) keeps her from going to her well-paying job as a maid at a nearby mansion, Sadie goes to fill in, hoping to keep the position's income. She soon finds out the reason for the high pay - the house is owned by a young, very famous musician named Jax, who' ...more
Kath S

This book is just about cliches *rolleyes*

1. Girl who doesn't believe she's beautiful: check
2. Guy who everyone think is shallow and brat, but oh no, is just a lost soul: check
3. An impossible love story: check
4. A love triangle no-so-love-triangle: check
5. A friendzoned guy: check
6. Love at first sight (literally): check
7. A girl with an I-really-don't-think-you're-that-hot attitude: check

And I can continue... But I don't want to. This is just another silly love story, about a so-poor girl who

I'm rereading this because I Love Abbi Glines books and this is the NEW VERSION with steamy scenes and Jax's POV. Can't wait to see the changes:) Review to come once I finish the book :

Abbi Glines is pure GENIUS in my book. She can't go wrong. Breathe was my very first Abbi Glines book and I fell in love with Sadie and Jax's story. So I was so excited to hear that she was re-releasing it in a STEAMIER version and adding Jax's POV. Well I will just say this version did not disappoint. I a

We got it, Abbi. We know you have something for Rock Stars. Now can you get over them? It's not that I don't like Rock because I LOVE it. However, I don't like the author writing about the same type of people each time.

Jax is this OMG perfect boyfriend. Sadie is this mature, innocent, mature, sweet, responsible, mature, perfect girl. Alright, we know that she's mature, can you stop repeating it now? The story was cheesy. Okay, too cheesy but at least it was short. I liked some parts enough to gi

Ella es de la clase media. Él es millonario. Ella es fea. Él es increíblemente guapo. Ella trabaja para cuidar de su familia. Él siempre ha tenido todo lo que necesita. Ella es una inútil. Él es súper talentoso. Sus mundos chocan, ¿a qué no adivinan que pasa entre ellos?

Verano. Un pueblo costero en algún remoto lugar de Estados Unidos. Sadie comienza a trabajar como empleada en la casa de la familia Stone. Claro que ella no esperaba que el paquete viniera incluido con el exitoso y súper talentos
This is what I imagine a Justin Bieber fanfic would be like if one were halfway decent enough to get published. But those would probably read a lot better. Every sentence spoken aloud by a character in this book sounds wooden and robotic. Nobody talks like these people. I could hardly get through the first chapter, it was so insufferable.

Here's some of what you can expect:
–“I get tired of the silliness and shallowness of girls. You’re like a breath of fresh air.”
"You are the youngest one here. I
I didn't hate this book but I didn't really like it much either. I thought the story idea was good and had a lot of potential. It just never lived up to it. I didn't fall in love with Sadie or Jax. Also I didn't find the way they talked very believable. They both were so proper that their conversations became boring. I really didn't feel any passion between them.
I did like the secondary characters and it was touching to see how they took to Sadie and made her one of the family within the staff.
This was a painful one and I found myself rolling my eyes a lot. It was just so unrealistic. So they fell in love after a whole two minutes of knowing each other and they didn't even have the excuse of eternal life, so very lonely Vampires blah blah, behind them. What 17 and 19 year old's talk like that? This is officially the first book I could not finish since joining Goodreads...Huzzah.
Now I can see why everyone loves her books this much! ... and why did it take me this long to finally read one? haha, no clue!
La Mala  ✌
Mar 05, 2015 La Mala ✌ marked it as desafio-no-recomendaciones
(Hasta ahora, el más mencionado. Ya estoy temiendo esta lectura XD)

No-recomendado por Violante, Andrea y Kari Ramírez

Me propongo leer de principio a fin libros considerados "malos". Mi intención es encontrar al menos UNA cualidad buena en ellos y reseñarlos objetivamente siguiendo 20 puntos a desarrollar brevemente. (Los puntos varían según el género del que se trate.)

Si tienen ganas de No-recomendarme otros libros
pueden comentar acá o ACÁ. ¡Cualquier género es bienvenido! Cuanto más variado, me
Grace (LovingDemBooks)
Buy this book on AMAZON
or buy this book on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

3 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below). Wow, I liked this book much more than I thought I would! A little cheesy in the dialogue at moments, but overall a solid read.

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
4 - I loved it! There weren't too many flaws, and I had no trouble getting thro
3.5 sweet and romantic stars

I’ve been wanting to read this series for a long time now, and am really happy that I finally made a start. After some intense reads, I was after something sweet and fluffy that I didn’t have to think too hard about, and this one totally fit the bill. Plus, a plotline featuring a hot celebrity falling for a ‘regular’ person always sucks me in. I really enjoyed it.

17 year old Sadie lives in the small coastal town of Sea Breeze, Alabama. She is fairly new in town and is
4 stars – Contemporary/YA Romance

This was a great read to satisfy my sweet tooth! I’ve read (listened) to this series out of order and although Breathe felt more YA and wasn’t as steamy as some of the latter books, I really enjoyed it. I think I was in the mood for a sweet, feel-good romance and this definitely delivered. And the audiobook narrators for this (and other books in the series) are great and made it even better.
Jax vs Marcus 13 196 Feb 07, 2015 12:38PM
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Mother has postpartum and daughter fills in for her at her work [s] 4 23 Dec 22, 2014 02:04PM
What T.R. Lykins ...: Discussion about Breathe (Sea Breeze) by Abbi Glines 2 6 Jul 19, 2014 09:41AM
Crazy for Young A...: Breathe (Sea Breeze #1) by Abbi Glines → Start Date: November 12, 2013 90 47 Nov 15, 2013 11:39AM
BOOK RATING? 4 80 Jun 21, 2013 08:48PM
Jax vs Marcus 10 134 Jun 08, 2013 05:30PM
  • Rock and a Hard Place (The Jamieson Collection, #1)
  • Slow Twitch (Brenna Blixen, #3)
  • Wishing for Someday Soon
  • What a Boy Needs (What a Boy Wants, #2)
  • Unforgivable (Untouchable, #2)
  • Where You Are (Between the Lines, #2)
  • Unmaking Hunter Kennedy
  • Please Don't Tell (Please Don't Tell, #1)
  • That Wedding (That Boy, #2)
  • Tidal
  • Moving Neutral (Moving Neutral, #1)
  • Chasing McCree (Chasing McCree, #1)
  • Up in Flames
  • The Accidental Movie Star
  • Dante's Girl (The Paradise Diaries, #1)
  • Thomas & January (Sleepless, #2)
  • In the Band (Luminescent Juliet, #1)
  • The Secret of Ella and Micha (The Secret, #1)
Abbi Glines is a #1 New York Times, USA Today, and Wall Street Journal bestselling author of the Rosemary Beach, Sea Breeze, Vincent Boys, and Existence series. She has a new YA series coming out in the fall of 2015 titled The Field Party Series . She never cooks unless baking during the Christmas holiday counts. She believes in ghosts and has a habit of asking people if their house is haunted bef ...more
More about Abbi Glines...

Sea Breeze (9 books)
  • Because of Low (Sea Breeze, #2)
  • While It Lasts (Sea Breeze, #3)
  • Just for Now (Sea Breeze, #4)
  • Sometimes It Lasts (Sea Breeze, #5)
  • Misbehaving (Sea Breeze, #6)
  • Bad for You (Sea Breeze, #7)
  • Hold on Tight (Sea Breeze, #8)
  • Until the End (Sea Breeze, #9)

“If hearts could shatter, mine just did.” 297 likes
“He seems like a man who knows what he wants, and the problem is he wants what I want.” 190 likes