Start by marking “A Practical Guide to Monsters (Practical Guides)” as Want to Read:
A Practical Guide to Monsters (Practical Guides)

A Practical Guide to Monsters (Practical Guides)

The sequel to The New York Times best-selling A Practical Guide to Dragons

How do you trick a troll? Do vampires sleep? Why worry about yuan-ti? Just in time for Halloween, this lavishly illustrated guide showcases the spooky, unexpected, and always fascinating world of monsters!

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 8/28/2007 Pages: 80 Reading Level: Age 6 and U
Published August 28th 2007 by Mirrorstone

To ask other readers questions about A Practical Guide to Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Practical Guide to Monsters

Mekiah Johnson
Feb 06, 2017 Mekiah Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
I got this book when I was very young, (ever heard of the bookstore, Book World?), well, that is where I got it from, during my early experiences there, when I was growing from being what many considered a little munchkin.
Sadly, that Book World that I went to all the time as I grew up is now out of business, but I have many memories from there preserved in my memory.
Now, onto the review, I loved this book. It is so nostalgic for me.
I swear I was born into the genre of fantasy.
My parents love
Conan Tigard
Nov 13, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it
I remember reading about Zendric in some of the Knights of the Silver Dragon books. But that was quite a while ago and I don't remember much about him. I think he was their mentor, or something. Well, anyway, he has compiled a study guide about monsters for his apprentices to study while he is away.

This book is packed with informative information about every type of monster in the fantasy realm of DragonLance. There are diagrams of each type of monster, a paragraph or two about each one, and a n
Monster
Kids love monsters, and A Practical Guide to Monsters has new and interesting monsters of all kinds. The book introduces us to Zendric, a high wizard and master of magic, who has written this guide to the monsters of the realm for his apprentices’ study. Zendric describes each monster, providing information on its height, weight, habitat, society, language, and attack mode, and also the best defense against it, accompanied by eye-catching illustrations. The monsters include traditional creature ...more
Siobhan
Dec 02, 2015 Siobhan added it
Shelves: edrd-314
This book is so much fun! Maybe a little advanced for some of our younger readers, it is modeled like an actual study of the creatures it describes, showing their home habitats, details on their anatomy, a fact list including hight, weight, diet, etc. I have to admit, this format really thrilled me, it felt like I was studying for my monster hunting adventures! Their is no main story line, or any story line, really. The book goes through many different monsters, from all over the world and all d ...more
Sophie Avett
Lovely images. However, it doesn't offer any information you wouldn't be able to find on the internet. This book comes from the DD world, so it does have some interesting takes on various monster "strengths" and "weaknesses," but there are better books for that kind of information. Really, I think the images are more useful to an author, rather than the information. I used a lot of the images as spring boards to craft my New Gotham creature descriptions. Oh, and it quite the pricey book. So, rea ...more
Geni
Jan 23, 2009 Geni rated it liked it
Shelves: teen-2009
Quick Pick,Graphic Novel 3Q 2P M J S [Review:] Monsters, Trolls and Vampires Oh MY!
This book is very cleverly illustrated. It would be a great reference for anyone who was curious in monsters, their domains their powers ect. The book is similar to a reference guide, the pages and typography are ochre gold to resemble 14th century manuscripts. The descriptions, and language of the book is extremely simple and friendly.
I would recommend this book to anybody interested in how to DRAW monsters or
Heather
I'm working my way through the books that i bought as reference for my fantasy writing. This one had some monsters from folklore and mythology, but it also had ones from RPG universes (like beholders). It was a really fun read and had some pretty cool artwork throughout.

It's also got stuff on weapons and armor and things that travelers might need. Overall, it was a fun resource for writing. I realize it's not perfect, since it's written for younger people, but it will give me ideas that I can re
Jonah
Aug 27, 2012 Jonah rated it really liked it
I have read this took many times before but this is the first time I've actually read it cover to cover I learned many knew things I loved the illustrations and my favorite monster has to be the friendly Goblin he was the best of them all!

P.S.
Does anyone have the address to "The Tower Of Sorcery" I filled out the test.
Sistora Neeley
Oct 08, 2013 Sistora Neeley rated it it was amazing
A Practical Guide to Monsters is a fun and interesting book! The pictures are beautiful, and the descriptions bring the creatures to life. I found myself wondering if I could go out and find these creatures!
Nicole Sanglay
Dec 25, 2012 Nicole Sanglay rated it liked it
Shelves: loved, fantasy
Such a cute read! 8)

The monsters featured in this book were awfully interesting.
Susie
Nov 29, 2014 Susie rated it liked it
This is a book that I think my nephew and niece will probably have to have as they get older. It's like baby DnD.
Lydia
Apr 14, 2015 Lydia rated it liked it
a good reference book for creatures
Jess
Jul 12, 2009 Jess rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated. I found it very interesting - it was a bit like a mini Monster Manual with more pictures - especially because I'm doing an art project that's sort of like a bestiary.
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2010
Jamie Forster
Jamie Forster rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2015
Russell Hart
Russell Hart rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2015
Aria Eve
Aria Eve rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2008
Jerenie Jan
Jerenie Jan rated it did not like it
Sep 13, 2014
Barrett Covington korinta
Barrett Covington korinta rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2016
Kristin
Kristin rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2007
Susan Fricke
Susan Fricke rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Richie
Richie rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
Lisa Wright
Lisa Wright rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2013
Tim Brown
Tim Brown rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2013
M_Ber16
M_Ber16 rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
Rhiannon
Rhiannon rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Emma
Emma rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2017
Kitty
Kitty rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Joshua Wilcox
Joshua Wilcox rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Cody Churchill
Cody Churchill rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Practical Guide to Dragon Riding (Dragonlance: the New Adventure)
  • Encyclopedia Horrifica: Terrifying Truth About Vampires, Ghosts, Monsters, and More
  • Tomorrow's Magic (Omnibus)
  • The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure
  • Guardian of the Green Hill (Under the Green Hill)
  • Monsterology (Ologies, #6)
  • Brass Dragon Codex (Dragon Codices, #4)
  • Alica