Start by marking “Tan­gled Schemes (Elemental Assassin, #3.7)” as Want to Read:
Tan­gled Schemes (Elemental Assassin, #3.7)

Tan­gled Schemes (Elemental Assassin #3.7)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  1,068 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
This short story spans a period of time starting from the last chapter of Spider’s Bite and ending right before the beginning of Tangled Threads. It’s told from Detective Bria Coolidge’s point of view and shows her search for her long-lost sister Genevieve Snow. What Bria doesn’t know is what she’s going to do about the fact that Genevieve also happens to be the assassin t ...more
Online Fiction, 1st Edition, 15 pages
Published 2011 by Jennifer Estep

To ask other readers questions about Tan­gled Schemes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tan­gled Schemes

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Wanna know why Bria came back to Ashland? Then this is the extra for you!

While Bria is waiting for an informant who allegedly has information on the Spider, she flashbacks to the event that lead to her leaving Savannah and moving home.

There are also allusions to her own secrets, of which she has several.

This is probably my favorite extra so far . . . Either this one or the first one about when Fletcher first adopted Gin. FYI. ;)

You can read it for FREE on Estep's website here: http://www.jenni
Steven
Oct 14, 2016 Steven rated it really liked it
It was really awesome to get to see this character's perspective on things. It does make me sad to know that her sister is right there and she's unaware. I'm looking forward to when they're honest with each other and seeing how that plays out!
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Dec 13, 2015 Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) rated it really liked it
Totally read this out of order but it was nice learning a bit more about Bria and seeing how tough she is, not that I had my doubts and how devoted she was to finding Gin.
Joanita
Jun 14, 2016 Joanita rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, gr2016
She needs you, Bria, and you need her. It’s time to come home.

Finally we find out why Bria came back to Ashland. It was interesting seeing things from Bria’s POV, and the methods she was using to try and find her sister. Plus there were some action, and seeing Bria capture the bad guys was quite fun.

Ronda
Oct 25, 2012 Ronda rated it it was amazing
....Bria!!!!

This is so consuming, knowing what Bria wants and thinks now... I am dying for her to realise and to see what happens!
Carol***BeautyandtheBeastlyBooks
I have to admit something...I didn't like Bria when she first appeared in the seeies.

It took me some time to warm up to her, which I did enventually. But it was good reading about what happened to her since she was separated from her Gin.
Cyndi
Jul 21, 2016 Cyndi rated it it was amazing
this story, through Bria's eyes, was good. The action was not quite up to Gin's caliber, but it was still good. I liked Bria using her magic to make a knife, just like Gin has done.
Kathy Davie
Jul 16, 2014 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This short story is 3.7 in the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series and focuses on Bria Coolidge.

You can read this short story for free on Estep's website.

My Take
This is from Bria's point-of-view and examines her conflict over sister versus Spider as she remembers life before Mab destroyed her family. Life with her sister Genevieve. We also get a ringside seat on her chat with Donovan Caine that'll bring Bria home to Ashland as well as a browse through her thoughts about Mab Monroe and the v
Anna Marie
Jan 23, 2015 Anna Marie rated it liked it
Told from the viewpoint of Bria, this is an eBook mini that re-tells what we already have been through in the previous book, just from a different angle. I have to admit, I was a little confused at first. Bria says that she knows The Spider is her sister Genevieve... but that's not the same as knowing that The Spider and Genevieve are Gin Blanco.

Okay, gotcha... moving on.

There's a complication in this that Bria has to get out of, which is fun, but mostly I couldn't give it four stars because...
Christine
Dec 06, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it
Another online short story from the Elemental Assassin series, this one is told from the point of view of Bria Coolidge, the new, straight-laced cop on the Ashland police force. It takes place alongside the events of the first three books and ends around the same time that Venom, book three, ends. I liked learning what happened to Bria since the night her family was murdered by the Fire Elemental when she was just a young girl. We see that fateful night from her eyes and a little bit of how she ...more
Karla
Nov 20, 2011 Karla rated it it was amazing
Bria's determined to find her sister, Genvieve, little does she know that she's already met her, as Gin and as the Spider. We get a peek into her mind as this tough little detective continues on her quest, as one now of Ashland's finest! She might be the only honest cop they have.

A shout out to Jennifer Estep for posting these awesome free shorts on her website. We get a point of view from all the essential characters in the series and it keeps the story fresh in our minds until the next book co
Trea
Aug 25, 2014 Trea rated it liked it
Shelves: challenges-2014
This story is told from Bria's point of view and basically explains the reasons why Bria came to Ashland and her feelings about The Spider. It also lets us know where Donovan Caine went when he transferred out of Ashland. Unlike other short stories in the series, it really doesn't do too much to advance the story line, because it does rehash a lot of old information, just in Bria's voice. She does figure out PART of who The Spider is, but not the whole identity. It will be interesting to see how ...more
Kelly
Jun 03, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
Bria's dogged determination to find her sister comes through in this one. She's got almost nothing to go on except a picture that doesn't give her enough details and a gut instinct that keeps her moving forward despite all the roadblocks that she keeps hitting. I like Bria. She's a lot like Gin. She's just a little less assassin-y.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal

Tangled Schemes is a free read on the author's website.
Theresa
Jul 23, 2016 Theresa rated it liked it
Nice story free on the author's website told from Bria's POV.

We learn the reasons why she's moved to Ashland and see the events in the book 'Venom' from her POV. We see that she has figured out the Spider is her older sister: Genevieve. But not that Gin is Genevieve, though she would like her to be.

She also is accosted in an ally and ends up solving the case of girls disappearing and being found beaten, strung out on drugs and/or killed.

Fave scene: the cherry pie.
Natalie
Jul 14, 2014 Natalie rated it really liked it
Another short story, this one covering from the end of book 2 on through 3 and ending just before book 4. And this time it's from Bria's POV! Oh, there's a sweet tidbit of information hidden near the end of this story that you HAVE to find out for yourself!!!!!!!!!!!! And after reading this you can then properly move on to reading book 4.
Alicia
Jul 14, 2012 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Bria was not the most interesting character to me, but this short story did a great job of making her more endearing. It was nice to get a peek into Bria’s mind and see what she was going through while looking for the Spider/Genevieve. This story made the character a bit more relatable, and it was a really enjoyable read.
Molly Smith
Sep 29, 2014 Molly Smith rated it liked it
I enjoyed this point of view from Detective Bria. The story was fascinating with some background information and current thoughts. I enjoyed seeing behind the veneer that Bria shows the world. Considering what I know from reading Tangled Threads, it was really interesting. I enjoyed having this extra in the intriguing world of Elemental Assassins.
Emily (Mrs B's Books)
May 06, 2013 Emily (Mrs B's Books) rated it really liked it
A story told from Bria's point of view.

Bria seems so much more bad-assed in this story and so much like the big sister that she can't see in front of her nose. I can't wait to see how she does react when she finds out that Gin is her sister.

It's nice to know however that Bria was adopted and therefore had a good upbringing.

A nice little story.
Petra Sýkorová
Dec 28, 2011 Petra Sýkorová rated it really liked it
Tentokrát nám Jennifer ukázala, jak se vlastně Bria dostala do Ashlandu, její pátrání po ztracené sestře a její pokusy o to, co nejvíce Mab uškodit a nastolit pořádek. Pojetí to bylo místy dosti sentimentální a přitažené za vlasy, ale nevadí. Jeden moment mě obzvlášť donutil k slzám, takže mi ta předvídatelnost ani nevadí. Bylo to pěkné a moc hezky to dokresluje celou sérii.
Elia
Jan 15, 2013 Elia rated it it was amazing
It was really interesting to see things from Bria's point of view. You realise that Gin isn't being just with her sister. She thinks that Bria isn't as troubled and determined at finding Genevieve as she really is. I also like the fact that Bria is a badass herself, and in this short story there is further proof of that.
Alyssa Ricks
Aug 23, 2011 Alyssa Ricks rated it liked it
These shorts are all posted on Estep's website. I have to say, I like the writing style a little better than the books, if only because they're too short for her to repeat everyone's full name and title a million times.
Ivanna
Sep 28, 2011 Ivanna rated it really liked it
PoV Bria adiknya Gin. Mulai dari alesan perpindahannya dia ke Ashland, nyari kakaknya Genevieve dan menemukan bahwa kakaknya ada Sang Spider si Pembunuh Bayaran.

Dan mencoba nyari informasi tentang Map Monroe
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Feb 17, 2012 Angie (Mind Malfunction) rated it it was amazing
Tangled Schemes is a short story in the Elemental Assassin Series by Jennifer Estep. These short stories are not deleted scenes but complete stories that stay true to the characters and series. If you're a fan of Elemental Assassin than you'll love love love the short stories.
Chapter 35
May 22, 2014 Chapter 35 rated it liked it
a wee story from Brias perspective. which follows her thoughts about coming to Ashland, searching for her sister Genevieve. past instances of before she came to town, and received the info to start searching for her long lost sister. ..not a bad wee extra novella
Karyn
Tangled Schemes is from Bria's pov depicting what she's been doing to find her elder sister who she thought was dead. I like where the story is going between Bria and Finn (view spoiler)
melissa
Apr 12, 2014 melissa rated it really liked it
Bria's POV. This short story shows how Fletcher left the hint to lure her back home to Ashland. Bria fights off a vamp and junkie that try to ambush her and struggles with the idea of her older sister being the assassin, The Spider.
Tia
Mar 04, 2012 Tia rated it really liked it
I can say I fell in love with this one. It is told in Bria's point of view. It expands through the entire series. We see how Bria struggles with the deaths of her family. We discover how tough and strong she is, not to mention when she learns Gin is really still alive.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
So close Bria! So close! Reading from Bria's point of view is sad and at times maddening. It's like watching a movie and me wanting to yell, "Right there! Look RIGHT THERE!" This was a nice little piece revealing more about Gin's friends and family.
Emma T Clement
Jul 21, 2014 Emma T Clement rated it really liked it
This was a satisfying short story as well. Another interesting, new POV and another fascinating short story.
  • The Mammoth Book of Ghost Romance
  • Finding Magic (Downside Ghosts, #0.5)
  • The House at Cobb End (Cassandra Palmer, #5.1)
  • Fernando's (Curran POV, #5)
  • The Golem Hunt (Jaz Parks, #3.5)
  • No Sooner Met (October Daye, #6.2)
  • Violet Tendencies (Sabina Kane, #2.5)
  • Cat Tales (Jane Yellowrock, #3.5)
  • Nice Girls Don’t Sign a Lease Without a Wedding Ring (Jane Jameson, #3.5)
  • Entangled
  • Shadow Touch (Shadow Touch, #1)
  • Magic Gifts (Kate Daniels, #5.4)
  • Wild & Steamy (Includes: Iron Seas #0.4; The Disillusionists Trilogy #2.5)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea.

ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN SERIES
Jennifer writes the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series.

The books focus on Gin Blanco, an assassin codenamed the Spider who can control the elements of Ice and Stone. When she’s not busy killing people and righ
More about Jennifer Estep...

Elemental Assassin (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1)
  • Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4)
  • Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5)
  • By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6)
  • Widow’s Web (Elemental Assassin, #7)
  • Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin, #8)
  • Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin, #9)
  • The Spider (Elemental Assassin, #10)