Web of Deceit (Elemental Assassin, #0.4)

Web of Deceit (Elemental Assassin 0.2)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  1,008 ratings  ·  43 reviews
This short story takes place when Gin is a teenager. It’s told from the point of view of Fletcher Lane, Gin’s assas­sin men­tor, and focuses on Gin’s first solo job as the assas­sin the Spi­der.
Online Fiction, 1st Edition, 10 pages
Published 2011 by Jennifer Estep

Kelly
Awwww .... Gin's first solo job. And like any doting papa, Fletcher is there to make sure she doesn't need his help slicing and dicing her way through the mark. Surprisingly sweet considering that the job involved cutting throats and stabbing folks in the heart.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal

Web of Deceit is a free read on the author's website.
Kathy Davie
This short story is 0.4 in the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series revolving around Gin Blanco, an assassin about to go on her first solo outing.

You can read this short story for free on Estep's website.

My Take
A peek in on those years Gin spent training up to be an assassin, right along with the worries Fletcher has. The big hints he drops about Gin's past, and how he believes he failed her.

It's scary how much Fletcher actually knows, that he never told Gin.

The Story
It's a worry for Fletcher...more
Rita
All I can say is Damn that was good. Keep bringing it Jennifer!
Prami
I love Fletcher Lane :D
Yolanda Sfetsos
After reading the first Elemental Assassin book, I was really looking forward to reading the prequel short stories the author offers on her website.

And this--like #0.5--didn't disappoint.

It's in the POV of Fletcher, and takes place when Gin is 16 years old. She's about to tackle her first solo assassin gig, after Fletcher's years of training, by taking down two giant brothers who are taking teenagers and forcing them into a life of drugs and prostitution. What she doesn't know is that Fletcher'...more
Theresa
Nicely done short story. This was my first introduction to the Gin series and I found it pretty good.

It's Gin's first solo mission as seen from her teacher, the Tin Man's POV.

They've been hired by a father to find and kill the man who kidnapped and murdered his teenage daughter. Gin has to infiltrate the whorehouse where the girl had been taken and kill the owner and his brother.

Fave scene: Gin's response to Jimmy's greeting.
Jacy
This was a short story about Gin's first solo job, told by Fletcher as he watched over her. There is a spoiler in the story for anyone who hasn't read Tangled Threads. This short gives a small glimpse into the loving father figure Fletcher was for Gin. This was more a short about Fletcher even though the events centered around a sixteen year old Gin.
Samantha K
Web of Deceit is another short story in the Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep.

As the story opens, Fletcher is sitting in a car, observing Gin's first solo job. The story is told from Fletcher Lane 's perspective. Which I believe was done to give a voice to the man who meant so much to Gin.

It is obvious that he is a father figure to Gin and bears the guilt for not being able to protect Gin 's mother and older sister from Mab Monroe. In addition, taking her under his wing, would provide...more
Natalie
Saw this free read and decided to read it before reading book 1 of the Elemental Assassin series. It's good, not great, but I think it'll give me some insight into the lead character of the series, Gin, when I start the book tomorrow.
melissa
Neat short story. This is from Tin Man's POV and retells Gin's first solo assassination. Definitely enough to hook me on the series.
Trea
This was a short story told from Fletcher Lane's point of view, detailing Gin Blanco's first solo kill as The Spider. Short stories can be hit or miss for me, and this one kinda missed for me. It was well written, but ultimately unnecessary. This could have been a recollection in Spider's Bite, rather than a seperate short story. We did get to see other characters in the Gin Blanco universe, and it was interesting to see the reasons behind the kill, but for me was a bit of a let down.
Diana
This is one of the novellas I read on vacation. I'm definitely going to read more of her books. I will definitely be buying the first full book in the series as soon as possible.
Alicia
Jul 02, 2012 Alicia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I love that we were able to gain some insight into Fletcher's head and see what he was thinking while training a little girl to be an assassin. He was such an influential character in the books, but because he was there for such a short time we only really got to know him through other people's impressions of him - in this story we were finally able to see what he was thinking. He and Gin have a strange relationship since he was like a father to her but also was training her to be a ruthless ass...more
Cyndi
I really liked this short story because it gives you insight into the relationship between Fletcher and Gin. You get a bits and pieces through the flashbacks in each story, but it was nice to get a glimpse from Fletcher's point of view...the pride and love he felt for her. But more questions came about from the story - why did he feel so indebted to Gin? Why did he feel that he failed her when her mother and older sister were murdered? Was he hired by someone else to protect the Snow family? I h...more
Emma Clement
A cute little story, but a bit too short for me. But not bad at all.
Mica
Short Story
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
pinkbellbird
Another short story about Gin from Fletchers pov about Gins very first 'job' out on her own...
There are 3 of these, all set before book #1 but meant to be read Street book #1 so they simply give you insight into all the characters. Nice sorry story, 17 pages all up
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Fletcher Lane, Gin Blanco's mentor and assassin named Tin Man, has spent the last 3 years teaching Gin everything there is to know about being an assassin. Gin is now 16 years old, and ready to go on her first solo mission, or so Fletcher tells Jo-Jo Dev­er­aux. Fletcher is the one person responsible for molding Gin's anger and desire for revenge against Mab for the killing of her mother and older sister. Gin becomes, as Fletcher says, a natural born killer and assassin.

Petra Sýkorová
První sólo zabijácká akce Gin, když jí bylo šestnáct, vyprávěná z pohledu Fletchera. Konečně se o něm člověk dozvídá něco navíc. Ovšem nedoporučuju číst minimálně po skončení druhého dílu, protože příběh neznalému něco docela zajímavého naspoileruje - těžko říct, jestli se tou věcí bude Jennifer více zabývat v třetím díle nebo až později.

Každopádně to byla pěkně brutální akce. Být tyhle knihy zfilmované, tak je to mládeži nepřístupné. To by byl masakr.
Rose
I really liked this one, of mostly two reasons.

Because you heard more about the relationship between Fletcher and Gin - we've only seen it from Gin's point of view, so it was very insightful.

One of the reasons that the first book (Spider's Bite, re.) bothered me a bit, was because we heard almost nothing about Gin as a teenager. This short story really gave a sight of the younger Gin, even though it was from Fletcher's side of view.
Yaz
A nice short story from the time when Gin Blanco was just starting her career as the assassin Spider. The story is told by her mentor (Fletcher). This is the first solo assignment of his new apprentice and he can help but look after her.

The story touches several points that are later revealed in the series, such as the fire elemental's identity and it also hints at Fletcher's involvement in the night when Gin lost her family.
Christine
Told from the point of view of Fletcher Lane, who rescued Gin off the streets when she was just a young girl, this short tells the story of Gin's very first assassination job. Gives readers a glimpse into Fletcher's affection for Gin and also his motivation for wanting to train Gin as an assassin. Fans of the Elemental Assassin series will enjoy this short story from Fletcher's perspective.
Page
I am liking these short stories. Really backs up who these characters are. The series does a lot of "tell, not show" type of storytelling. But it's nice to see who Fletcher was. Get a peek into why he trained Gin, why he meant the world to her, and most importantly, that she was loved by someone she truly cherished. I've grown to really respect her and she deserves it!
Karyn
Web of Deceit is told from Fletcher Lane's pov and is about Gin's first kill as the spider. Having read the 4 main books already, quite a bit of Fletcher's musings make a lot of sense which i'm not sure would have if i had read these short stories in order.
The writing is straight and simple tell it like it is style - very much like Flether's character.
Jenni
We never get to know Fleatcher so much and then he died at the very beginnning in the first book in the Elemental assassin serie. But here we get to hear his thought on Gin and we realise how proud he was of her and treating her like his own daughter. Even then we could see Gin's potential as a sassy assassin and she didn't let let down Fleatcher.
Elia
With a few repetitions being the only flaw, this small prequel to "Spider's bite" was an excellent read. It is written from Fletcher's point of view and it manages to convey his feelings of pride, care and love towards Gin. A few questions concerning Gin's past were answered but a lot more were created. All in all it was a great read.
(Mrs B's Books) Emily
Tia
This one actually made me sad because I read it well after book one and two in the series. Fletcher was the closest thing to Gin's father and was an amazing mentor. It really fills in the gaps for some of the earlier novels.
Missy Fitch
I had no idea there were little short stories with this series! I loved this! I have always been curious about Fletcher so this insight into him was great! I will be looking for more of these shorts about Gin!
  • The Mammoth Book of Ghost Romance
  • Kate's Daddy (Curran POV, #3)
  • The House at Cobb End
  • Finding Magic (Downside Ghosts, #0.5)
  • An Ill-Advised Rescue Part 1 (Kate Daniels)
  • An Evening for Vayl and Jaz (Jaz Parks #4.5)
  • Entangled
  • Cat Tales (Jane Yellowrock, #3.5)
  • Violet Tendencies (Sabina Kane, #2.5)
  • Trouble on Reserve (The Hollows, #10.5)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea.

Jennifer writes the Elemental Assassin adult urban fantasy series for Pocket. Books in the series are SPIDER'S BITE, WEB OF LIES, VENOM, TANGLED THREADS, SPIDER'S REVENGE, BY A THREAD, and WIDOW'S WEB. THREAD OF DEATH, an e-novella, is also available.

HAIN...more
More about Jennifer Estep...
Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1) Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3) Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2) Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy, #2)