Start by marking “Spider's Bargain (Elemental Assassin, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Spider's Bargain (Elemental Assassin, #0.5)

Spider's Bargain (Elemental Assassin 0.5)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,052 ratings  ·  58 reviews
This short story takes place before the events of Spider’s Bite, the first book in the Elemental Assassin series. In "Spider’s Bargain," Gin Blanco takes on a corrupt cop, but only one of them will be left standing in the end.
ebook, 1st Edition, 9 pages
Published 2011 by Jennifer Estep

To ask other readers questions about Spider's Bargain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spider's Bargain

Elspeth
I like the first few books of this series, but it's crashing and burning fast. The cut and paste jobs with the descriptions of certain things...like the placement of her knives, what her name is, where she works, the color of Finnegan's hair...ect ect. It's getting really annoying.
Alicia
Jun 30, 2012 Alicia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I think that this was a great short story IF you read the book first. I don't feel as though it was ever created to be read before the book (even though the events take place before the start of the first book).

This is the story of how Gin killed Donovan Caine's partner and why she did it. I think that it is really interesting because this one kill in particular caused so many issues in the book, and yet Gin never looked back on it with regret. This story does a great job of explaining the "why...more
Kathy Davie
A prequel to the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series revolving around a retired assassin in Ashland.

You can read this short story for free on Estep's website.

My Take
Well, if this story doesn't make you cheer for the assassin, you are one cold-hearted jerk! Kinda makes you wish she could just head on out and clean house of anyone who takes extreme advantage of weaker people.

Great story and complete with a start, a middle, and an end that introduces you to Gin Blanco's world.

The Story
It's reve...more
harlequin {Stephanie}
A good story, but what bugged me was the Q&A Gin has with the scumbag after she stabs him in the heart. Really?!
Nick McGreggor
Natalie
Another intro to Gin's character before I tackle the first true book in the Elemental Assassin series. Not bad, but based on these two that I've read I'm not sure that I'm going to like this series. The series itself seems good but the writing of these 2 novellas that I just read isn't that great. Obviously it's better than I can do which is why the author is getting paid and I'm not. It still doesn't mean that I can put up with reading bad writing. I'll just have to see.
Yolanda Sfetsos
After reading the first Elemental Assassin book, I was really looking forward to reading the prequel short stories the author offers on her website.

And once again, this story--like #0.5 & #0.6--didn't disappoint.

This one goes back to the POV of Gin. She's stalking a certain corrupt detective, who's done something so bad that Gin's willing to take him out for free.

I really enjoyed reading this story because this incident was mentioned in Spider's Bite and caused some extra tension between h...more
Theresa
Gin takes on a case for free. The assassination of a crooked cop that raped and murdered a 13 year old girl.

Story's ok, but nothing special. Reads like something the author just played with as a possible story idea.

Since this is supposed to take place later in her carrer, I'm not sure why this is listed at the start of the series.
Molly Smith
This is the job that defines the relationship between Caine and Gin in many ways. It was interesting to see her on this job. I think in some ways it is the precursor to Gin following truly in Fletcher's footsteps...in doing things to help people who are truly victims with no recourse. I enjoyed this offering and insight.
Mark
Mar 02, 2014 Mark rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
The story of Gin's encounter with Donovan Caine's partner, another morally corrupted denizen of Ashland society. These short stories paint all the minor characters with the briefest of brush strokes. The key benefit is to flesh out some of the main protagonist's thoughts and motivations.
Diana
This is one of the novellas I read on vacation. I'm definitely going to read more of her books. I will definitely be buying the first full book in the series as soon as possible. I really think I'm going to enjoy this series.
Jacy
I always wanted to know exactly what Gin did to Caine's partner. Well this short read gives it to you in graphic detail. No wonder Donovan was so upset by the whole thing. All I can say is way to go Gin!
Susan Parks
Neat little story that takes place before the first Elemental Assassin book. One of several freebies on Jennifer Estep's web site.
Candy Lazzaro
This book grabs you right from the beginning. Really liked the Assassin Spider. Very Cool Chick :) Now on to the next book.
Emma Clement
I liked learning a little more of the backstory of Gin, but this story seemed a little dry. Not bad, though.
Chatper 35
A story about Gins assassination of Detective Cliff Inges. set in more recent times than the other short stories.
Again not a whole lot to tell here. Nice wee back story
melissa
A bit of a gruesome tale of Gin settling the score against a corrupt cop/child rapist.
Mica
Short Story
Kelly
A nicely chilling look at a typical night out for Gin. Well, typical when she's in assassin mode. One of the things I appreciate most about her is that she's comfortable with what she does. So, she has to wash blood out of her clothes once she's finished her job... that's just the way things go some nights.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal

Spider's Bargain is a free read on the author's website.
Trea
This was a short story prequel for the Elemental Assassin series. It sets up the conflict in the next book, Spider's Bite. It was well written, and we get a brief glimpse into the workings of Gin Blanco's mind. It didn't really grab me though, so I'm hoping that a longer book will be better.
Christine
This story takes place just before the first book in the series, Spider's Bite. It tells the story of Gin Blanco taking down a corrupt cop in Ashland, who turns out to have been the partner of Donovan Cain, the cop with whom Gin alliances in Spider's Bite.

For anyone who has already read Spider's Bite, visit the author's website and read this short for a more detailed view of why Cliff Ingles had to be taken out by the Spider.
Petra Sýkorová
Scéna, kdy Gin zabije detektiva Cliffa Inglese, parťáka Donovana Cainea. A to kvůli tomu, co Cliff provedl, protože všechno má své hranice.

Osobně mi je vždycky zatěžko, když si čtu o tom, co za zvěrstva se někteří lidé na jiných dopouštějí a věřte mi, že kdybych nedejbože někdy žila v takovém zkorumpovaném a tvrdém světě a uměla to, co Gin, nejspíš bych udělala totéž.

Dějově celkově nic moc, předchozí scény mě bavily víc.
Ronda
I deliberately read this novel after book 1 instead of before because of a review I had read by someone else. Now I understand why... I don't think this book was meant to be read before, you have the story from book 1 and now you have a P.O.V from Gin as to why this snippet is important for us to know.

This simply ties up with Gin's story, fabulous!
Rose
I always like those short stories from the narrators life - some points from the actual books that we hear about but doesn't get a chance to read.

So nice to she justice to come the rapist of the thirteen year old girl - Cliff Ingleas. I really liked Spider on this job! She was cold, drop-dead-sexy and she did it all for free. I really like her!
Gina Mora
The story is short and nothing special, as such-but it was nice to read about what a bastard the cop was. Of course, it also makes you wonder a bit about Donovan's naivety-he had to be a bit of an idiot to not know how bad his partner was....read this story after Owen comes in the picture-otherwise, you will look at Donovan much less nicely.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I like vengeance plots. Since I've read all the stories in this series, now I'm going back to read the little freebies. This one I liked because of what Spider did to the child raping bastard. I smiled with glee. I would only do one thing different. I would have done it while he was still alive so I could drink in his screams before he died.
Penny
Just an enjoyable romp around in The Spider's world. While I agree that this isn't the best Estep work I've read, it filled an interesting hole in her past and it was done with enough flair to make it fun.

Takes only a few minutes to read so take the time to pull up the webpage and give it a go.
Suzanne
Jedná se o krátkou povídku, které předchází sérii Spiders Assasin. Tu mám v hledáčku už nějakou dobu, ale odrazuje mě její délka – deset dílů v angličtině, ach jo. Na to jak je povídka krátká, má slušnou zápletku a je dobře napsaná. Přesvědčila mě o tom, že se do celé série co nejdříve pustím.
Emily (Mrs B's Books)
I'm reading all the books in order so starting with this one.

Although the story is good, the little talk with the detective was really not needed. The pro bono work was obviously a sore subject for Gin who appeared to have been through a traumatic event in her own ypung past.
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Spider's Bargain is a short story in the Elemental Assassin Series by Jennifer Estep. These short stories are not deleted scenes but complete stories that stay true to the characters and series. If you're a fan of Elemental Assassin than you'll love love love the short stories.
  • The Mammoth Book of Ghost Romance
  • An Ill-Advised Rescue Part 1 (Kate Daniels)
  • Curran; Magic Strikes Hot Tub Scene (Curran POV, #4)
  • Close to You (Downside Ghosts, #5.5)
  • Entangled
  • Trouble on Reserve (The Hollows, #10.5)
  • Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer, #4.2)
  • Cat Tales (Jane Yellowrock, #3.5)
  • Pros and Cons (Nikki Glass, #2.5)
  • Violet Tendencies (Sabina Kane, #2.5)
  • Glow (Charley Davidson, #5.6)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea.

Jennifer writes the Elemental Assassin adult urban fantasy series for Pocket. Books in the series are SPIDER'S BITE, WEB OF LIES, VENOM, TANGLED THREADS, SPIDER'S REVENGE, BY A THREAD, and WIDOW'S WEB. THREAD OF DEATH, an e-novella, is also available.

HAIN...more
More about Jennifer Estep...
Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1) Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3) Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy, #2) Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)