Start by marking “The F***ing Epic Twitter Quest of @MayorEmanuel” as Want to Read:
The F***ing Epic Twitter Quest of @MayorEmanuel

The F***ing Epic Twitter Quest of @MayorEmanuel

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  44 reviews

Primary Colors for the social media era, the wildly profane, viral phenomenon that resulted from a fake Twitter account deftly satirizing Rahm Emanuel is the first significant Twitter epic in today’s digital age.

With web sensations such as Stuff White People Like and Sh*t My Dad Says making the leap from the Internet to the bestseller lists, it’s no surprise that this uniq

Published September 13th 2011 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about The F***ing Epic Twitter Quest of @MayorEmanuel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The F***ing Epic Twitter Quest of @MayorEmanuel

The Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonSin in the Second City by Karen AbbottThe Orphan Factory by James MorcanThe Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonTrade Secrets by Holly Rozner
Chicago in history and fiction
54th out of 105 books — 35 voters
Animal Farm by George OrwellCatch-22 by Joseph HellerCandide by VoltaireThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeBrain by Dermot Davis
Best Satires
130th out of 238 books — 229 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly Smith
This fucking book is so motherfucking great I cannot fucking stand it. Seriously folks, go out and buy two fucking copies.
Beth
I started reading the @MayorEmanuel Twitter feed about a month before its conclusion, and, like thousands of other people, I was immediately sucked in. Collected in book form, the tweets are just as funny the second time around, the ending just as poignant, and the fact that Dan Sinker constructed such a good story 140 characters at a time just as motherfucking incredible. (Yeah, it also generates a fun side effect: the number of f-bombs in your everyday speech increases by a factor of about fou ...more
Amy
I kept this on the nightstand for a few weeks to get snippets of hilarity before bedtime, then finished the last 100 pages in one go because it was so oddly compelling. I knew of the Twitter feed as it was happening, but I didn't follow it aggressively.

Although this book seems like a disposable Intertubes phenomenon at first, it's also a neat snapshot of a very specific Chicago in a very specific time -- politics, tech startups, snowstorms, social media, t-shirts. And the annotation by Dan Sink
Karen
I followed the Twitter feed as it was happening, and it's just as funny now as it was then.

I love owning this in book form... it's like a little diary of all things that were happening in Chicago while the Twitter feed was live. I'm glad it's not just a print-out of all the tweets... Sinker includes descriptions of the events that were going on as a mini-refresher of history. I get to re-live all the Bears games, the mayoral race, Snowmageddon, and laugh out loud all at the same time.
Janet
I saw the author on a local news program and was interested to read this book. However, I was disappointed by the content, even though I realize that that vulgarity is part of why @MayorEmanuel was so popular and humorous. I flipped through it and found several tweets that were amusing but overall didn't appreciate the negative language. Call me old/conservative in this area, but it just doesn't appeal to me.
Andrew Chapello
The book itself was not tremendously entertaining, but because of my enormous love and respect for the @MayorEmanuel Twitter feed, I enjoyed reading a lot of the back story and information about Chicago that Dan Sinker used to fill its pages.
Julie
I didn't follow the @MayorEmanuel Twitter account back when it was active from September 2010 to February 2011. I didn't live in Chicago at the time and was busy finishing up graduate school, so despite my strong interest in politics, it just wasn't on my radar. I knew about it but never checked it out. But after hearing so much about the account from friends -- and after moving to the Chicago area -- I decided that I needed to catch up. So I bought the book and spent a few days laughing my ass ...more
Joseph
Probably better served as a twitter account than as a book, @MayorEmanuel's Quest is funny, but grows a little tiresome. Reading the word "fuck" hundreds of times within the span of a couple pages, as you might imagine, strips it of any shock value it might have had and turns it into little more than an annoying verbal tic (although I did feel a little weird reading this next to strangers on the bus).

Mostly, though, the book has difficulty juggling its tone, which seems like an odd problem. But
katie
I just want to swear about coffee a lot, but for some reason I feel like I shouldn't use profanity in a GoodReads review- it's like being in a library, I guess. So, yes, this Twitter feed was amazing the first time around and it totally holds up to rereading it all at once, even years later. I will say, I'm totally in for the real Rahm's crazy mythos, but I think this would be funny (funnier?) even if you dislike the guy.

Because of all the surrealism and scifi ending, I'd actually kind of forg
Andy
I feel a little embarrassed giving this book a full five stars, because I am a coward and I can't bear the thought of you thinking, "Another lackluster product of the social-media-to-book-deal boomlet, like 'Stuff White People Like'? You're ranking that a full five stars?" I am. I have to. It's a tremendous story. Not only does it not feel like a dumb, blog-to-book quickie at all, but it's better than most of the mediocre new published fiction I've read in the past year or so. This isn't really ...more
Andrew Martin
Why invest a few hours in a three year old novelization of a parody twitter account. I don't know, man. Dan Sinker is awesome and this was $3 on Amazon?
Kelly
A book based on a Twitter feed shouldn't work, but this one does, because a) @MayorEmanuel is in the pantheon of fake Twitter feeds b) @MayorEmanuel has a strong narrative arc that you appreciate more when you read it from the start c) Dan Sinker does an amazing job of providing annotated commentary, explaining all the obscure references to Chicago politics, the long-running John Cusack movie homage and a dozen other things I didn't notice upon first read-through. Super-enjoyable experience, giv ...more
Stephen Carradini
As a person interested in how people write online, this clever and engaging use of Twitter was incredibly fun to read. However, it is very most definitely not for everyone: Every tweet in this book contains at least one f bomb, and most use more than one. That turns out to 1000+ uses of just that particular word in the book. It's part of the character that Sinker creates, but not everyone would be thrilled with that. But if you're interested in experimental Internet-era fiction, this is pretty a ...more
Richard
Somehow, despite being a Chicagoan, a political junkie and a Twitter addict, I missed the @MayorEmanuel phenomenon when it was happening, so I'm grateful that a good friend picked up a copy of this brilliantly observed book for me. There are a LOT of very inside-Chicago/Rahm/80s culture references, so it may not be for everyone, but I found it bed-shakingly funny (reading in bed at night) until it got increasingly surreal and startlingly moving towards the end. Thank you @kurthartwig!
Loretta Gaffney
I should cock punch myself for not having read this beautiful piece of literature sooner.
Mary
It was indeed, f***ing epic. Made even better by the fact that I was rolling into Chicago on the train each morning as I read through the story. Everyone on Twitter right now can quit because Dan Sinker has clearly won Twitter. If you decide to read it (and I really do recommend this book to political junkies and Chicago enthusiasts alike), do yourself a favor and get "Separate Ways" by Journey queued up when Sinker suggests -- it helps with the epic ending.
Andy
The story told 140 characters at a time is both Chicagoan and surreal and, therefore, by this iron heart's standards, a real lovely.

I had one issue: the notes explaining the reality behind the Tweets stop the flow of the story. Not that I didn't want to know more (quite the opposite) but I could have used them as end notes, footnotes, or even in blocks at the beginning of Tweet-story arcs rather than between individual Tweets.
Matthew
At the time this whole thing was playing out, I wasn't paying much attention, which it turns out was a mistake. On the other hand, it was, perhaps, easier to read them all as a coherent narrative, without the interruption of other tweets, and the background the author provides about Chicago helped put a lot of the references in context, since I haven't spent much time in Chicago myself.
Margaret Heller
I was a bit late to the @MayorEmanuel game, but truly enjoyed the coffee tweets. I think I actually teared up at Quaxelrod's last appearance. This was fun to see how it actually unfolded and evolved over the course of the project. Please note to the real Rahm Emanuel that I got this book from the Chicago Public Library, so you better keep them going strong.
Alyson Hurt
Not quite as fun as when I was reading the Twitter account in real time, but I still laughed out loud in parts. I'd forgotten just how over-the-top the profanity was, until the feed settled into more of a narrative. (It became more interesting at that point, too.) The tweets are annotated this time around, and there's an afterword by Sinker.
Aaron
Silly, yes, and super fun. But also surprisingly poignant and a powerful example of utilizing social media as a storytelling device (though maybe it's also telling re: the limitations of this same medium that I never read the Tweets and only read the book because, to me, it makes it feel more like a narrative arc...I knew it had an ending etc).
Troy
I really enjoyed not only the recounting, but his story: getting pitched to reveal who he was, his motivation, the backstory and context behind the tweets. ONe small quiblle: "Samurai" Mike Singletary was not a defensive lineman for the 1985 Chicago Bears. Not enough of a quibble to dock he, of admittedly low sports IQ, for.
Jamie
I didn't read much of this while it was happening. I just don't have any interest in following Twitter - and I still don't, despite how much I liked this book. It's hilarious and I enjoyed reliving the saga of Emanuel's campaign all over again. The blizzard...Carol Moseley Braun...residency challenges...what a circus.
Michael X. Palmer
The Twitter feed had a sense of timing. The book has a sense of history. Somehow, they are different and to be enjoyed in their own way. In fact, if you have a friend moving to Chicago, I can't think of a better gift than this book. Makes you excited about all that is Chicago.
Cory
I actually just skimmed this one, as it was too much for me to read all the way through. While I like the concept of the parody twitter account, and in theory I'm amused by the book, it was just an overwhelming barrage of in-jokes and profanity that couldn't hold my attention.
Elizabeth
Weirdly, this is actually better as a Twitter feed; going back and re-reading @mayoremanuel still makes me laugh like a loon, but reading the book was just not as much fun. The commentary is nice, but kind of flat. (Fandom does DVD commentaries much better.)
John Julitz
I remember when this happened on Twitter & even then you got a sense that you were watching something historic & unique unfold. In hindsight, it's exciting to know I was essentially watching a book being written live.
Nan
Jan 26, 2012 Nan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
Hilarious collection of the @MayorEmanuel tweets during the campaign. I loved reading about Axelrod's devotion to his Honda Civic, the pet duck Quaxelrod, and squatting in the crawlspace of Emanuel's rented home.
Denise Monegato
Genius! The intro by Biz Stone, founder of Twitter was worth the admission price. This is the kind of stuff we all fantasize about doing - but this one crazy journalist actually did it! hysterical!
Leah
I adored the tweetstream and I adored the book. Anyone with an interest in politics, Chicago, and/or creative cursing should really check it out.
  • The Thick of It: The Missing DoSAC Files
  • Honor's Paradox (Kencyrath, #6)
  • Twitterville: How Businesses Can Thrive in the New Global Neighborhoods
  • Hack: Stories from a Chicago Cab
  • A Fucked Up Life In Books
  • The Jew of New York
  • Memory of Morning
  • The Phoenix in Flight (Exordium, #1)
  • Chicago: A Biography
  • Tracato (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #3)
  • County: Life, Death and Politics at Chicago's Public Hospital
  • Novelties and Souvenirs: Collected Short Fiction
  • The Moon Riders (Moon Riders, #1)
  • 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die
  • Family Properties: Race, Real Estate, and the Exploitation of Black Urban America
  • The Burning Sky (Halcyon #1)
  • Never a City So Real: A Walk in Chicago
  • Morgan and Archer: A Novella (Windham, #8.5)
Dan Sinker is a journalist, journalism professor, and editor.
More about Daniel Sinker...
We Owe You Nothing: Punk Planet: The Collected Interviews Weapons And Motives