Start by marking “The F***ing Epic Twitter Quest of @MayorEmanuel” as Want to Read:
The F***ing Epic Twitter Quest of @MayorEmanuel

The F***ing Epic Twitter Quest of @MayorEmanuel

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  236 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews

Primary Colors for the social media era, the wildly profane, viral phenomenon that resulted from a fake Twitter account deftly satirizing Rahm Emanuel is the first significant Twitter epic in today’s digital age.

With web sensations such as Stuff White People Like and Sh*t My Dad Says making the leap from the Internet to the bestseller lists, it’s no surprise that this uniq

Published September 13th 2011 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about The F***ing Epic Twitter Quest of @MayorEmanuel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The F***ing Epic Twitter Quest of @MayorEmanuel

Kelly Smith
Jun 22, 2013 Kelly Smith rated it it was amazing
This fucking book is so motherfucking great I cannot fucking stand it. Seriously folks, go out and buy two fucking copies.
Amy
Dec 16, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
I kept this on the nightstand for a few weeks to get snippets of hilarity before bedtime, then finished the last 100 pages in one go because it was so oddly compelling. I knew of the Twitter feed as it was happening, but I didn't follow it aggressively.

Although this book seems like a disposable Intertubes phenomenon at first, it's also a neat snapshot of a very specific Chicago in a very specific time -- politics, tech startups, snowstorms, social media, t-shirts. And the annotation by Dan Sink
Karen
Sep 23, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
I followed the Twitter feed as it was happening, and it's just as funny now as it was then.

I love owning this in book form... it's like a little diary of all things that were happening in Chicago while the Twitter feed was live. I'm glad it's not just a print-out of all the tweets... Sinker includes descriptions of the events that were going on as a mini-refresher of history. I get to re-live all the Bears games, the mayoral race, Snowmageddon, and laugh out loud all at the same time.
Beth Riches
Mar 21, 2016 Beth Riches rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this Twitter feed when it was happening and was delighted to discover that there was a book that included every Tweet, as well as commentary about the experience by the author, Dan Sinker.

The @MayorEmanuel account was a fake account of the famously profane Rahm Emanuel and his adventures in Chicago as he ran for Mayor. While the real Rahm Emanuel did the usual political thing, the fake Rahm Emanuel took us on a hallucinatory trip into the multiverse. His friends included David A
Janet
Oct 20, 2011 Janet rated it did not like it
I saw the author on a local news program and was interested to read this book. However, I was disappointed by the content, even though I realize that that vulgarity is part of why @MayorEmanuel was so popular and humorous. I flipped through it and found several tweets that were amusing but overall didn't appreciate the negative language. Call me old/conservative in this area, but it just doesn't appeal to me.
Andrew Chapello
Oct 08, 2011 Andrew Chapello rated it really liked it
The book itself was not tremendously entertaining, but because of my enormous love and respect for the @MayorEmanuel Twitter feed, I enjoyed reading a lot of the back story and information about Chicago that Dan Sinker used to fill its pages.
Julie
Dec 04, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
I didn't follow the @MayorEmanuel Twitter account back when it was active from September 2010 to February 2011. I didn't live in Chicago at the time and was busy finishing up graduate school, so despite my strong interest in politics, it just wasn't on my radar. I knew about it but never checked it out. But after hearing so much about the account from friends -- and after moving to the Chicago area -- I decided that I needed to catch up. So I bought the book and spent a few days laughing my ass ...more
Joseph
Nov 22, 2011 Joseph rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Probably better served as a twitter account than as a book, @MayorEmanuel's Quest is funny, but grows a little tiresome. Reading the word "fuck" hundreds of times within the span of a couple pages, as you might imagine, strips it of any shock value it might have had and turns it into little more than an annoying verbal tic (although I did feel a little weird reading this next to strangers on the bus).

Mostly, though, the book has difficulty juggling its tone, which seems like an odd problem. But
katie
Jan 04, 2014 katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read_13
I just want to swear about coffee a lot, but for some reason I feel like I shouldn't use profanity in a GoodReads review- it's like being in a library, I guess. So, yes, this Twitter feed was amazing the first time around and it totally holds up to rereading it all at once, even years later. I will say, I'm totally in for the real Rahm's crazy mythos, but I think this would be funny (funnier?) even if you dislike the guy.

Because of all the surrealism and scifi ending, I'd actually kind of forg
Michael Ben Silva III
Mar 05, 2016 Michael Ben Silva III rated it really liked it
Reading through this picaresque stream, I was returned full force to the winter of 2010/2011 in Chicago. It was a trip and a half, and surrealist as this account is, it felt like being back there.
Noelle
Jul 12, 2016 Noelle rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly the greatest political satire of the 21st Century - second only to Colbert's Super PAC bits. Every Chicagoan should own this feat of sheer genius.
Andrew Martin
Jun 24, 2014 Andrew Martin rated it really liked it
Why invest a few hours in a three year old novelization of a parody twitter account. I don't know, man. Dan Sinker is awesome and this was $3 on Amazon?
Kelly
Jan 01, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing
A book based on a Twitter feed shouldn't work, but this one does, because a) @MayorEmanuel is in the pantheon of fake Twitter feeds b) @MayorEmanuel has a strong narrative arc that you appreciate more when you read it from the start c) Dan Sinker does an amazing job of providing annotated commentary, explaining all the obscure references to Chicago politics, the long-running John Cusack movie homage and a dozen other things I didn't notice upon first read-through. Super-enjoyable experience, giv ...more
Kristy
Jun 29, 2016 Kristy rated it really liked it
Better than the real Mayor Emanuel. That motherfucker.
Stephen Carradini
Jan 27, 2013 Stephen Carradini rated it really liked it
As a person interested in how people write online, this clever and engaging use of Twitter was incredibly fun to read. However, it is very most definitely not for everyone: Every tweet in this book contains at least one f bomb, and most use more than one. That turns out to 1000+ uses of just that particular word in the book. It's part of the character that Sinker creates, but not everyone would be thrilled with that. But if you're interested in experimental Internet-era fiction, this is pretty a ...more
Richard
Jun 24, 2012 Richard rated it it was amazing
Somehow, despite being a Chicagoan, a political junkie and a Twitter addict, I missed the @MayorEmanuel phenomenon when it was happening, so I'm grateful that a good friend picked up a copy of this brilliantly observed book for me. There are a LOT of very inside-Chicago/Rahm/80s culture references, so it may not be for everyone, but I found it bed-shakingly funny (reading in bed at night) until it got increasingly surreal and startlingly moving towards the end. Thank you @kurthartwig!
Loretta Gaffney
Aug 01, 2014 Loretta Gaffney rated it really liked it
I should cock punch myself for not having read this beautiful piece of literature sooner.
Mary
Dec 30, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing
It was indeed, f***ing epic. Made even better by the fact that I was rolling into Chicago on the train each morning as I read through the story. Everyone on Twitter right now can quit because Dan Sinker has clearly won Twitter. If you decide to read it (and I really do recommend this book to political junkies and Chicago enthusiasts alike), do yourself a favor and get "Separate Ways" by Journey queued up when Sinker suggests -- it helps with the epic ending.
Andy
Sep 13, 2012 Andy rated it really liked it
The story told 140 characters at a time is both Chicagoan and surreal and, therefore, by this iron heart's standards, a real lovely.

I had one issue: the notes explaining the reality behind the Tweets stop the flow of the story. Not that I didn't want to know more (quite the opposite) but I could have used them as end notes, footnotes, or even in blocks at the beginning of Tweet-story arcs rather than between individual Tweets.
Andy
Jan 06, 2016 Andy rated it it was amazing
This isn't really a book about Rahm Emanuel, the word "fuck," the mayoral election, or Twitter and how to use it. It's a surrealist, satirical story about Chicago and its future, and the portrait Sinker paints of his beloved hometown is funny, affectionate, occasionally disappointed, and completely absorbing. I wish every city in America had a writer as good as Sinker chronicling its culture.
Matthew
Feb 16, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour
At the time this whole thing was playing out, I wasn't paying much attention, which it turns out was a mistake. On the other hand, it was, perhaps, easier to read them all as a coherent narrative, without the interruption of other tweets, and the background the author provides about Chicago helped put a lot of the references in context, since I haven't spent much time in Chicago myself.
Margaret Heller
Oct 29, 2011 Margaret Heller rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
I was a bit late to the @MayorEmanuel game, but truly enjoyed the coffee tweets. I think I actually teared up at Quaxelrod's last appearance. This was fun to see how it actually unfolded and evolved over the course of the project. Please note to the real Rahm Emanuel that I got this book from the Chicago Public Library, so you better keep them going strong.
Alyson Hurt
Aug 27, 2011 Alyson Hurt rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics
Not quite as fun as when I was reading the Twitter account in real time, but I still laughed out loud in parts. I'd forgotten just how over-the-top the profanity was, until the feed settled into more of a narrative. (It became more interesting at that point, too.) The tweets are annotated this time around, and there's an afterword by Sinker.
Aaron
Sep 05, 2013 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Silly, yes, and super fun. But also surprisingly poignant and a powerful example of utilizing social media as a storytelling device (though maybe it's also telling re: the limitations of this same medium that I never read the Tweets and only read the book because, to me, it makes it feel more like a narrative arc...I knew it had an ending etc).
Troy
Apr 29, 2012 Troy rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed not only the recounting, but his story: getting pitched to reveal who he was, his motivation, the backstory and context behind the tweets. ONe small quiblle: "Samurai" Mike Singletary was not a defensive lineman for the 1985 Chicago Bears. Not enough of a quibble to dock he, of admittedly low sports IQ, for.
Jamie
Jan 04, 2012 Jamie rated it it was amazing
I didn't read much of this while it was happening. I just don't have any interest in following Twitter - and I still don't, despite how much I liked this book. It's hilarious and I enjoyed reliving the saga of Emanuel's campaign all over again. The blizzard...Carol Moseley Braun...residency challenges...what a circus.
Michael X. Palmer
May 03, 2013 Michael X. Palmer rated it it was amazing
The Twitter feed had a sense of timing. The book has a sense of history. Somehow, they are different and to be enjoyed in their own way. In fact, if you have a friend moving to Chicago, I can't think of a better gift than this book. Makes you excited about all that is Chicago.
Cory
Mar 05, 2013 Cory rated it did not like it
I actually just skimmed this one, as it was too much for me to read all the way through. While I like the concept of the parody twitter account, and in theory I'm amused by the book, it was just an overwhelming barrage of in-jokes and profanity that couldn't hold my attention.
Elizabeth
May 03, 2012 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Weirdly, this is actually better as a Twitter feed; going back and re-reading @mayoremanuel still makes me laugh like a loon, but reading the book was just not as much fun. The commentary is nice, but kind of flat. (Fandom does DVD commentaries much better.)
John Julitz
Nov 18, 2012 John Julitz rated it it was amazing
I remember when this happened on Twitter & even then you got a sense that you were watching something historic & unique unfold. In hindsight, it's exciting to know I was essentially watching a book being written live.
  • The Thick of It: The Missing DoSAC Files
  • Hack: Stories from a Chicago Cab
  • Honor's Paradox (Kencyrath, #6)
  • The Jew of New York
  • The Librarian's Book of Lists
  • Get Your War On 2
  • Charity Begins at Home
  • A Fucked Up Life In Books
  • The Plan of Chicago: Daniel Burnham and the Remaking of the American City
  • Never a City So Real: A Walk in Chicago
  • Memory of Morning
  • The Moon Riders (Moon Riders, #1)
  • Chicago: A Biography
  • The Portable Nineteenth-Century Russian Reader
  • Novelties and Souvenirs: Collected Short Fiction
  • Sunday in the Park With George
  • The Phoenix in Flight (Exordium, #1)
  • County: Life, Death and Politics at Chicago's Public Hospital
Dan Sinker is a journalist, journalism professor, and editor.
More about Daniel Sinker...