Start by marking “Limos, Lattes and My Life on the Fringe (Real Life)” as Want to Read:
Limos, Lattes and My Life on the Fringe (Real Life)

Limos, Lattes and My Life on the Fringe (Real Life #4)

The fourth book in Nancy Rue's Real Life series centers on Tyler Bonning, who is an intellectual, a debater, a violinist ... but definitely not traditional beauty-queen material. When she is nominated for prom queen as a joke, she takes up the cause of the less-advantaged kids who can't afford the high standards for prom set by the school's wealthier ruling class. While he ...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by Zondervan (first published April 2nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Limos, Lattes and My Life on the Fringe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Limos, Lattes and My Life on the Fringe

Yesenia
May 04, 2011 Yesenia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book through Goodread's FirstReads program. No compensation was received and the opinions expressed are my own.

Strangely, Limos, Lattes and My Life on the Fringe came to me just when I needed it. Its about a girl named Tyler who finds a magical book that helps her with her problems concerning prom and about her faith. I was having a lapse of faith on the day this book came to me, this amazing modern Christian book that really made me believe again.
Michelle
May 02, 2011 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: absolutely no one.
As painful as it was, I received the Advanced Reading Copy and have read this book cover to cover. I had a pretty good idea of what kind of writer Nancy Rue was by the very first page, where she practically begs the reader to finish the book, promising it will be worth their while if they did. Well, I did, and it wasn't. Directly convincing your readers to continuing reading is a turn off, when you should be able to convince them with your style and content alone. The author obviously doubts her ...more
Leah
May 23, 2011 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book on goodreads and I had my 13 year old daughter read it first. Basically the rating is based on her review, not mine. I am not the target audience though I did read it. I asked her how many stars she would give it and she said 4 1/2, the only reason she didn't give it 5 is she wanted more at the end. She wanted to know what happened to some of the characters and how some situations turned out. I myself would have given it 2 stars since I found it just ok, but again it wasn't writt ...more
Tami
May 02, 2011 Tami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't received book yet, just received notice I had won. 4/22/11
Received yesterday hope to start it soon. 4/29/11
Started and finished last night. 5/2/11

Highschool is crazy. Tyler is nominated for Prom Queen as a joke from the ruling class (the kids that run the school socially). She plans on withdrawing until she finds it will help her with a "cause". According to her cousin and others, prom is too expensive for the majority of the school, so they only ones able to go are the ruling class.

The
Madeline Rose
This was so cute!
That ending... was a little traumatic, but still SO CUTE!
5/5.
Heather Cheney
Nov 06, 2016 Heather Cheney rated it it was amazing
Awesome book!!!

I loved the book! I liked that the girl was African American. I have all the books in these series and this one is my favorite!
Amanda
Jun 13, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, first-reads, ya
The Real Life series by Nancy Rue is four books written for teens. The books are about four completely different teen girls who each find Christ during a difficult time in their lives. The girls never meet in the books and the only thing they have in common is a book that each found when they needed guidance the most. Or the book found them. The books are Motorcycles, Sushi and One Strange Book,
Boyfriends, Burritos & an Ocean of Trouble, Tournaments, Cocoa and One Wrong Move, and Limos, Lat
Tyler Bonning is smart and witty. She doesn't have a lot of friends, but does have a group of people she hangs out with (the Fringe). Some mean people from her school nominate her for prom queen and she decides to make the joke nomination into a campaign to reform the prom. And there is a boy too. While all of this is going on, Tyler finds a magical book to help her rediscover being a Christian through personal teachings (the book actually talks to her).
Mostly I thought that Tyler was a perfect
Kai
Apr 30, 2012 Kai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Tyler Bonning in Limos, Lattes & My Life on the Fringe, is smart and mature for her age. Tyler has never wanted to be popular and live life on the outskirts of high school peers until she was nominated for prom queen as a high school joke. She was willing to bow out and let the joke die until she was pushed too far. She decided to run the campaign of trying to make the prom affordable to everybody. The popular and wealthy Ruling Class tried to stop her. Threats from an unknown person were al ...more
mandyfujita
Jul 08, 2012 mandyfujita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I was so happy to receive this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. When I started reading "Limos, Lattes & My Life on the Fringe" I could tell from the first few pages that I was going to enjoy the journey involving Tyler Bonning. She is a junior at Castle Heights High and is telling her story of how she dealt with being nominated as homecoming queen. You see, she is the daughter of an university administory and nurse practioner. She is a brainiac and is not really in any kind of g ...more
Kelly Knapp
Jun 27, 2012 Kelly Knapp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, but teen girls most
Recommended to Kelly by: Goodreads First Reads giveaway
I have always enjoyed Nancy Rue's books. Limos, Lattes, & My Life on the Fringe looks into the life of a teenage erudite, Tyler, going to the average high school. when she is nominated for Prom queen (as a joke), she starts a mini revolution to make prom an activity for every student. Along the way, we meet all of the student types: popular, bully, smart, geek, and the invisible. Rue manages to portray each type without resorting to the old stereotypes.

In addition, I like how Rue adds some o
XxForeverXx_XxVampire_DiariezxxLuvsSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL
May 30, 2013 XxForeverXx_XxVampire_DiariezxxLuvsSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like short stories about problems that girls have in life.
Recommended to XxForeverXx_XxVampire_DiariezxxLuvsSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL by: Public library, Goodreads.com
I finished this book really fast and it was pretty short. I didn't realize that this was part of a series. I only discovered it when I searched the book on Goodreads and saw it was the fourth book in a series. But even though I didn't read the first three books, it didn't affect my understanding of it. I liked the concept of the books and the plot was pretty good. The plot was good and I liked it because it was pretty interesting. Tyler wants to help the girls have a great prom even if they don' ...more
Claire
Jul 05, 2012 Claire rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
So... Christian fiction is definitely not my thing. As in there is less than a 1% chance I will actually pick up a book in this genre. I just do not appreciate being preached at. Luckily, this book didn't seem as pushy as some others I've seen, although to be honest, I skipped over most of the sections with the "magic book," so that may be why.

Otherwise, the plot was completely farfetched. Is anyone REALLY dissuaded from going to prom because they can't spend $3000 on it? I'm pretty sure I spen
Lisa
Jun 02, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was an easy read and it was great that it showed normal high school students and realistic challenges they face. I liked how her parents and friends didn't understand what Tyler was trying to accomplish.

It got the reader thinking about how people in school treat others and the affect of careless comments or mean jokes. How words can hurt and how the Bible says we should deal with those situations.

Even Tyler ended up realizing that she had preconceived notions about others. Everyone in
Holly
Lila
May 16, 2011 Lila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those 'uncorrected proof' giveaway novels, an advance reading copy from Goodreads.
The book was well written with likeable and believable high school characters, their dramas and growing pains. I should have paid attention; it is also a 'religious' themed novel.
Some novels may contain spiritual themes which are realistic and part of the true story. Jan Karon's Mitford series are examples. They don't preach to the reader, but portray their characters' real lives, thoughts, actions,
Chelsea Northrop
May 04, 2011 Chelsea Northrop rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amanda Chalifoux
Jun 05, 2012 Amanda Chalifoux rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lauren marler, grace bombardier, and more.
Recommended to Amanda by: it was a goodreads giveaway
Shelves: giveaway-books
This was a free book I won from Goodreads!

I thought it was a very good book about a girl named tyler who got nomiated home coming queen & the struggles she tries to overcome to make the prom better for everyone making it where it isn't a race to see how much someone can spend on all the prom stuff and try to outbeat themselves. How she had to stand up for what she believed in no matter what she lost, her so called friends.
Shirley Zolenski
May 01, 2011 Shirley Zolenski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Limos, Lattes and My Life on the Fringe by Nancy Rue was a great teen read. It dealt realistically with cliques, had the right amount of drama, had you rooting for the underdog in love and showed you how Jesus was there and relevant in all situations. Great for any teen no matter where their christian walk is at now.
Karen
Apr 29, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won-in-giveaway
I received this in a goodreads giveaway. This book is directed more towards the high school age group but I enjoyed it just the same. The names are different but the click types are the same as when we grew up. Parents this is a good read for your teenager, it shows the frustrations of high school and the practical, sensible and christian way to handle these situations.
emma
Jul 27, 2011 emma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
I loved this book! Tyler Bonning is nominated for prom queen as a joke but uses it to do good. She starts a camaign to make prom great for everyone- not just the rich kids. Through the book, she learns about the way she really is, but should be, God, how people surprise you, and how to live with her half sister. This book is sooo awesome!
Michelle
Refreshing, real, and engaging. It's time a teen book can deal with real issues and even talk about praying and God. Rue takes a refreshing look at teens today and yet keep it engaging and entertaining. A must read for all teen girls! Thanks to Goodreads for providing my copy.
Suzan
This was a nice and easy read that focuses on bullying in our schools. I overall liked the storyline, but was not a big fan of the extremely religious tone that helped to get the main character through the book.
Tamara
Oct 07, 2011 Tamara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this from Good Reads. Having read Boyfriends, Burittos and ?, another title by Nancy Rue, I had higher expectations. I found this title to be very preachy and will not be passing it to my 13 year old niece as i had planned.
Becca
Apr 05, 2013 Becca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Eh, this book was ok. I usually really like teen drama but this was a little strange. The last 25 pages or so were just over the top. Very strange ending. It was an easy read but just a strange story. I won this on first reads.
Donna Jean
Great young adult book with the kind of interactions and relationships with people and especially family members that are so memorable and rich. Super for naturally adding those bits of cultural literacy so necessary to the mostly non-reading teens these days.
Heidi
Sep 05, 2014 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, this series really took me back to high school...in good and bad ways. I thoroughly enjoyed them all and couldn't put them down.
Jessica Journey
Cute. I really like Nancy Rue books. They make me happy. They're simple, yet deep. Humorous and just enjoyable.
And this particular one? What a *Bam* ending. Never saw that coming. O.O
Carol
Apr 24, 2012 Carol marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recently received this as a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you! Rating/Review to follow at a later date.
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Don't read this book! 1 7 Jun 15, 2011 05:18PM
Thoughts on the book 1 3 May 03, 2011 01:34PM
  • The Spring of Candy Apples (Sweet Seasons, #4)
  • Wreath
  • The Last Dance (Carter House Girls, #8)
  • Who Made You a Princess? (All About Us, #4)
  • Holly's Heart, Collection 2: Second-Best Friend/Good-Bye, Dressel Hills/Straight-A Teacher/No Guys Pact/Little White Lies (Holly's Heart, #6-10)
  • The Whitney Chronicles
  • Final Touch (The Rayne Tour, #3)
  • Rematch (Lauren Holbrook, #2)
  • Goodbye Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #4)
  • Ruth
  • The Mirror in the River
  • Black Swan
  • The Secret Life of Becky Miller (Becky Miller #1)
Nancy Rue is the author of over 100 books for adults and teens, including the Christy Award-winning The Reluctant Prophet, Unexpected Dismounts and Healing Waters (with Steve Arterburn), which was the 2009 Women of Faith Novel of the Year. She travels extensively—at times on the back of a Harley—speaking to and teaching groups of women of all ages. Nancy lives on a lake in Tennessee with her Harle ...more
More about Nancy Rue...

Real Life (4 books)
  • Motorcycles, Sushi & One Strange Book (Real Life, #1)
  • Boyfriends, Burritos & an Ocean of Trouble (Real Life, #2)
  • Tournaments, Cocoa & One Wrong Move (Real Life, #3)