Start by marking “Escape of Marvin the Ape” as Want to Read:
Escape of Marvin the Ape

Escape of Marvin the Ape

When Marvin the Ape makes a break from the zoo, he heads straight downtown to the heart of the action, where he discovers everything the big city has to offer. Dining at the finest restaurants, strolling through museums, commuting with the crowds and rooting for the local baseball team, Marvin fits right in with the natives. And he may never leave!"AThe Buehners's? ...more
Published March 1st 1999 by Puffin Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Escape of Marvin the Ape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escape of Marvin the Ape

Camille Rivera
Jun 25, 2015 Camille Rivera rated it it was amazing
The Escape of Marvin the Ape follows Marvin as he sneaks out of his cage and explores New York City. As he wanders, he gets to do everything he wants: swing in the park, go to the movies, visit a baseball game, and more. Meanwhile, the police are searching for him and Marvin stays just out of reach. At the end of the story, we return to the zookeeper who is giving food to the animals when Helvetica the hippo escapes! This book is so fun! The illustrations are so full of life, and in each scene, ...more
Daniel Smith
Oct 29, 2015 Daniel Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: ks1
This story follows Marvin the Ape's escape from the Zoo as we find out what he experiences in the city from baseball games to appreciating modern art at the museum.

I would use this maybe for Guided reading sessions as the language of the text may allow lower KS1 children to develop their vocabulary and enjoyment of reading. This book also allows children to develop further reading comprehension skills such as looking at the pictures to spot the policemen , who are in every experience Marvin is i
Amanda
Jun 24, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing
My daughter loves this book. This is a book that can definitely grow with the kid. There are not too many words (a pet peeve when books are made into board books that really shouldn't be), greater pictures and lots of things to look for in the pictures. As she gets older, we're looking for things in the pictures as opposed to trying to read faster than she flips pages! Marvin has been living in our back seat and she "reads" it as we go places.
Alissa
Jan 17, 2012 Alissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
During feeding time at the zoo Marvin the ape escapes! We follow him on his adventurous day out in New York City. There are many hidden things to find in this book. We had to read the story once through for the story and then a couple more times to find Marvin, the cops looking for Marvin, and also a black cat and ostrich on each page. There are many other funny things to look at. We sure enjoyed it!
Sari
Feb 04, 2010 Sari rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids, families, parents who read to their kids
My eleven year old bought this book for our two year old when he was just a baby - it was his first book.

I know it's a picture book, but it's just terrific. The story is told well and the illustrations really are wonderful. I keep looking for more books by Caralyn and Mark (the illustrator) but haven't found any yet. I won't give up, Marvin makes it worth it and we never tire of reading about his adventures.
Vicki
Nov 30, 2011 Vicki rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Talcott and Lawson children
Recommended to Vicki by: storytime at the Ogden Treehouse
We discovered this Utah-born author/illustrator and also her husband on recommendation from a story time at the Ogden Children's Treehouse. We love them! The pictures are so cute and well-drawn and the writing is clever. Dimitri wants this read over and over in a row and keeps saying throughout the book, "I like Marvin!" Something about this has sparked his imagination and has kept mine as well throughout the many readings!
Michele and her First Graders
Jan 09, 2008 Michele and her First Graders rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
This would also be a great "noisy story hour" book...I was a little overwhelmed by the constant responses I got while reading this book. The kids really enjoyed it and loved pointing out the many places that Marvin was hiding within the illustrations...not in any way a Where's Waldo sort of thing, but it was very pleasing to the little ones.
Peggy
Sep 09, 2008 Peggy rated it it was amazing
Marvin deftly escapes the zoo and has a lovely adventure. The artwork is simply delightful and there are so many things to find in the pictures for little ones - an ostrich, a kitten, Marvin, the policemen looking for Marvin... A true classic! Even though this was actually a present for mom, this one is a hit with both my toddler and 7-year-old!
Melanie
When the zookeeper's back is turned, Marvin the Ape makes a run for it. While he's out he enjoys climbing in the park, a snack in a nice restaurant, art in a museum and baseball game.

Back at the zoo Helvetica the Hippo is about to make her escape...

A very simplistic picture book. Cute, but the writing is clumsy.
Sandy
Nov 06, 2013 Sandy rated it liked it
Shelves: own, childrens
Where is Marvin? He has escaped during feeding time and he is enjoying the sights. Each page has Marvin in another part of the city acting like a tourist. Great for kids to try to find him as you read the words out loud. The last couple pages end with Helvetica the hippo escaping the zoo which would be a great lead in for discussion or activity with this book.
Graziella
Jul 06, 2014 Graziella rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-mom-shelf
How we loved reading this book to our children; each page has hidden delights of discovery: cats tucked into clouds and grass, the mysterious ostrich peeking from a crowd of Manhattan commuters, the dog sliding in the shadows of Central Park, and the marvelous Marvin himself, playing a delighted tourist.
Beth
Aug 09, 2011 Beth rated it it was amazing
This is adorable, and my 11 month old loves the pictures. Actually, so do his parents. There are cute little animals hidden on every page, making it a little more entertaining the 10th time around for the grown ups.
Katie Scherrer
When Marvin escapes from the zoo he has a great time exploring the city and hiding from the people trying to find him. Good choice for preschool apes or zoo storytime. Good length for bilingual setting.
Evan
Sep 18, 2012 Evan rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-niños
Mark Buehner's fanciful paintings, which form the illustrations of the protagonist Marvin's day out on the town, add much to this otherwise simple-text book (which recounts Marvin's day in 8-12 word sentences) and provide opportunities for extension in the way of responding to the images.
Susan
Jan 11, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
I love anything and everything by these author/illustrator husband and wife team. Look for Marvin the ape hidden in the pictures.
These authors are known for hiding all kinds of fun things in their books. The clouds are shaped, always have hidden bunnies, cats and dinosaurs in their stories.
Miekka
Aug 28, 2009 Miekka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: seths-books
This is a great book about an ape that escapes from the zoo. Has hidden pictures and and some simple text for beginning readers. For ages 3 and up.
Nicole
Oct 27, 2011 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture_book
What can I say? I'm a sucker for any stories that are about monkeys and/or apes. And this is a VERY cute story...
Susanne
Aug 03, 2008 Susanne rated it it was amazing
This one was an extra special find for my son, it's a great story....and it's set in New York (my favorite place!).
Megan
Jan 06, 2009 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Just a fun book to read. There are also hidden things in each picture your children can look for {white bunny, two cops and a bird}.
Sian
Jan 12, 2016 Sian rated it it was amazing
Such a fun book. There is a cat and an ostrich on every page. The kids love finding them. I could read this book over and over.
Kimberly
Jul 07, 2010 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My kids adore this book. They like the story and enjoy looking for the hidden pictures, such as the ostrich and cat that can be found on each page.
Marge
Aug 12, 2008 Marge added it
Shelves: picture-books
Marvin easliy escapes from the zoo while the zoo keeper is busy and blends in with the outside world. Can you find Marvin?
Megan
Jul 26, 2011 Megan rated it it was amazing
We got this book from the library for Lucas and he loves it! He loves trying to find Marvin in every picture and he laughs so hard.
LL
Jul 26, 2012 LL rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
From my favorite author-illustrator team. A fun story, great pictures and hidden treasures to find in every picture. We read this one almost every night and have been for several years.
Katherine
Katherine rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2008
Jenna
Jenna rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2010
Kara Anderson
Kara Anderson rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2014
Mohammad
Mohammad rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2011
Karen Larsen hales
Karen Larsen hales rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2013
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2008
  • Finn Throws a Fit
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • One Monster After Another
  • The Fierce Yellow Pumpkin
  • There Was An Old Monster!
  • The Very Clumsy Click Beetle