Start by marking “The Lost Relic (Ben Hope #6)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Relic (Ben Hope #6)

The Lost Relic (Ben Hope #6)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,720 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Some secrets should stay buried…A web of deceit – and Ben Hope is caught in the mayhem. . .Whilst visiting a former SAS comrade in Italy, a distracted Ben nearly runs over a young boy – and unwittingly walks into his deadliest mission yet.Ben’s involvement with the boy’s family runs deeper ashe witnesses their brutal murder at a gallery robbery. A seemingly worthless Goya ...more
Published January 20th 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Relic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Relic

TheSecretWriter
Jan 16, 2011 TheSecretWriter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
If you are looking for a story that contains, adventure, thrills, conspiracy, terror, drama and a touch of romance, then a new book due to be released shortly called ‘The Lost Relic’, has it all!

‘The Lost Relic’ written by Scott Mariani, is the sixth book in The Sunday Times bestselling series featuring ex-SAS hero and former theology scholar Ben Hope.

Without divulging any spoilers in relation to this particular story, the tale begins when Ben Hope unwittingly walks into a deadly mission while v
Wayne Marinovich
Quality read from this reliable author. Quality lead character, and I will be reading more
Emanuele
Nov 23, 2012 Emanuele rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It does hook you in and it is interesting enough to keep you wanting to read one more chapter, but it is not as good as the best chapters in the Hope series and has suffers from a number of major flaws, in my opinion:
1) differently from the others this is much more of an action story than a thriller. Little and fairly obvious mistery and twists and a lot, to many (!) shoot-outs;
2) full of mistakes, thoroughly unresearched. If you set up a novel in Italy, at least try to get the names of the citi
Joe Geesin
Apr 11, 2016 Joe Geesin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, fast paced, and absolutely completely bonkers. An SAS, James Bond and Rambo combo that's exciting and gripping. If you don't mind the pace that's daft to match, it's classic Ben Hope.
Simon Lee
Entertaining but not really any better than previous Ben Hope books. Considering in his last book he finally found his long lost sister I'd have thought this chapter would have picked up on that but not a mention of it. His whole persona was based around his guilt of losing his sister and the rubbish that went with it so some things must have cleared up in his mindset so a little surprising how it was not mentioned at all.

Still a decent read though.
Pat Edgar
Mar 17, 2016 Pat Edgar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet again Scott Mariani manages to combine a fast-moving action thriller with an archaeological mystery. Ben Hope, a former SAS hero and theology scholar, is drawn into yet another exciting adventure when he is unwittingly embroiled in a murderous robbery at an art gallery in which the only thing targeted was a worthless sketch that carried a hidden message.
The story offers international conspiracies, adrenalin inducing chases, plenty of action and a high body count. I would recommend this book
Sam Arnold
REVIEW
Why don't many women read men's books? Because they get upset when the romance does not work out the way they want it to. Why can't the hero be happy for once?

Having finished the book I have to admit I am disappointed. Disappointed that the hero did not have a happy relationship and disappointed at the book itself. Having said that I also enjoyed it especially towards the end. This book was not as fast pacing as his others. The guide to writing a good book I once read was have 2 or 3 good
Karen Wolff
I can see why this is popular: it's an easy read with twists and turns, but I found myself skipping though the car chases and shoot outs and was left wondering why Ben's girlfriend had featured in the story at all. Having said that it was exciting at times, surprising some of the time, but predictable at other times. It won't get me running to the library for more books by this author, and it's a three star rating from me. Four and half stars on goodreads. I'll have to read the reviews at some t ...more
Giri Dv
Apr 15, 2014 Giri Dv rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly readable. Tight narrative. The motivation for the entire plot a little unconvincing (the Faberge egg being the cause for all the murders). I also lost the connection of the three guys killed by rockets with the main plot (I thought I read the story without any skipping which I sometimes do). Also Brooke Marcel was left high and dry for no fault of hers! A good book does not do that.

I would choose a Mariani again without hesitation for reading.
Tom Tischler
Jun 03, 2013 Tom Tischler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ben Hope this time is in a desperate fight to uphold justice
evade capture and prove his innocence. While visiting a former
SAS comrade in Italy Ben almost runs over a young boy. Ben is
thanked and persuaded to attend a valuable gallery exhibition.
While there he witnesses a ruthless attack by a gang of
criminals seeking to steal a worthless Goya sketch. In the
bloodbath that follows Ben evades the criminals but the young
boy is killed. Ben vows to track down the criminals and he is
drawn into a world
AvonBooksUK
A web of deceit – and Ben Hope is caught in the trap…
Whilst visiting a former SAS comrade in Italy, Ben almost runs over a young boy – and unwittingly walks into his deadliest mission yet.
Persuaded by the boy’s family to attend an art exhibition, Ben is witness to a ruthless heist by a gang of criminals who steal a relatively worthless Goya sketch. In the ensuing bloodbath, a shocking death occurs and Ben vows he won’t stop until he has tracked the perpetrators down.
Ben is soon drawn into a wor
Lois
Jun 11, 2014 Lois rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the character ( Ben hope) that Scott mariani as created. These books are action packed and really impossible to put down once started. At first i thought that I wouldn't be able to enjoy these books, with it being about an ex sas major. But now I've nearly read all the Ben hope books and have just purchased his new one.
Darci Van Deusen
Good suspense; not a waste of time. If you like Dan Brown and James Patterson type books, you will enjoy this one.
Jed
Mar 11, 2015 Jed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book, I didn't like the ending. I can't explain why, it just didn't resonate
with me.
Helen Capps
Jun 25, 2014 Helen Capps rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read
Mary
Jul 29, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-fiction-read
Great thriller.
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
An above-average read. The chases and action are of blockbuster quality. The treasure and the story behind it is also interesting. But it would have been better if Ben get to hold it or at least see it. The treasure seems like something out of lost legends when it is limited to the level of story.
Mike
Jun 10, 2014 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If it weren't for work I wouldn't have put this one down. Bring on the next one.
David Highton
more unrealistic characters but fizzes along at a great pace
Mary
Jul 22, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book but probably not as much as I had hoped. Sure, there was plenty of action but I found the historical mystery was a bit, um, lame. Not that there was anything particularly wrong with it but just lacking on my opinion. I really enjoyed the way the story moved at a break neck pace and the surprises that cropped up along the way. Not the strongest entry in the series but satisfying enough to keep me coming back for more.
Alison
Aug 17, 2012 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm starting to run out of things to say about Scott Mariani's Ben Hope series! Another high action, fast paced thriller that sees Ben travelling all over Europe, unravelling mysteries, killing bad guys (even though you know he doesn't mean to!) and having the traditional love interest. I'm really enjoying this series and panicking a bit that there's only number 7 and the prequel to go ... hope Mr Mariani writes some more books soon!
David Collins
Mar 19, 2011 David Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"This is the first book I have read by this author. A really exciting action packed story. Looking forward to reading more of the hero in his other books. This novel is about an ex SAS guy who visits an old comrade to offer him a job and although he refuses our hero gets caught up in a web of deceit after nearly running over a young boy in Italy and gets invited to an art gallery."
Carolyn
Jan 21, 2015 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scott-mariani, 2013
Another enjoyable read from Scott Mariani as we follow Ben Hope from France to Italy to Spain then Portugal, Monaco, Georgia and back to Rome. Our hero runs from pillar to post, accused of a crime he didn't commit, trying to uncover the truth. How on earth he still remains standing at the end of all his exploits is beyond me, but I guess that's what heroes do.
Stephen
Apr 14, 2015 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book kicked off with a bang with Hope getting caught up in the middle of an art gallery heist and doing his best to stop it. The book kind of lags through the middle. Lots of action, don't get me wrong, but you really aren't sure what the true relic is until toward the end of the book. I would say that the ending is so worth it though.
David Stimpson
Feb 06, 2014 David Stimpson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
200 mile an hour stuff ..i really like Ben Hope ..
Peter Wilson
Sep 10, 2015 Peter Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-thriller
From Italy to Russia, in his latest adventure Ben hope, once again travels the world in search of justice, along the way he meets mobsters and artists this book was enjoyable and i spend a weekend on it only putting it down to eat! Scott Mariani pulls it out of the bag yet again.
Lisa Blazhevski
This is the first Ben Hope book I've read. It was ok, a nice easy read really. Everything there for the makings of a brilliant novel. Romance, action thriller, crime, yet still it lacked something for me. I would probably read another in the series, but I won't be jumping to get it.
Andra Nicoara
Mar 02, 2016 Andra Nicoara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't think of many books that have captivated me the way the Ben Hope series has. It has pretty much every ingredient necessary to keep my eyes glued to the pages; adventure, conspiracies, history, treasures, and plenty of interesting fight scenes. Loved it!
Amanda Waller
Oct 16, 2011 Amanda Waller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this...was left wanting more. Apparently it's book 6 in the series...might have to read the other 5 now! Bourne identity meets Da Vinci code is a good description, although probably less intellectual than the Da Vinci code. Believable, likeable hero.
zenbren
Jun 07, 2011 zenbren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Fast moving novel involving Russian mafia, corrupt Italian politicans, inept carabineri ,a sinister MI6 group and a predictable if wholly likeable hero Ben.with an SAS background and a healthy disrepect for authority.
  • The Cross (Vampire Federation, #2)
  • The Death Relic (Payne & Jones, #7)
  • The Templar's Code (Caedmon Aisquith, #2)
  • The Lost Labyrinth (Daniel Knox, #3)
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
  • Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)
  • The Chosen One
  • The Map
  • The Roswell Conspiracy (Tyler Locke, #3)
  • Secrets of the Dead
  • Covenant (Ethan Warner #1)
  • Bible of the Dead
  • The Black Sun (Tom Kirk, #2)

Ben Hope (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Alchemist's Secret (Ben Hope #1)
  • The Mozart Conspiracy (Ben Hope #2)
  • The Doomsday Prophecy (Ben Hope, #3)
  • The Heretic's Treasure (Ben Hope #4)
  • The Shadow Project (Ben Hope, #5)
  • The Sacred Sword (Ben Hope, #7)
  • The Armada Legacy (Ben Hope, #8)
  • The Nemesis Program (Ben Hope, #9)
  • The Forgotten Holocaust (Ben Hope, #10)
  • The Martyr's Curse (Ben Hope, #11)