Red Sled

Red Sled

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  999 ratings  ·  186 reviews
In this almost wordless picture book, a host of woodland creatures take a child's sled for a nighttime joy ride. Their whimsical ride is gorgeously depicted in bold watercolor, complemented by humorous expressions and pitch-perfect sound effects. With a timeless tone and classic characters, RED SLED will become a wintertime favorite.
Published November 1st 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Red Sled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Sled

The Arrival by Shaun TanFlotsam by David WiesnerTuesday by David WiesnerThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsGood Dog, Carl by Alexandra Day
Wordless Picture Books
49th out of 125 books — 208 voters
Over and Under the Snow by Kate MessnerThe Mitten by Jan BrettLost and Found by Oliver JeffersWaiting for Winter by Sebastian MeschenmoserThe Mitten by Jim Aylesworth
Picture Books About Snow Animals
13th out of 100 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Apr 27, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
This is a very simple book, so simple that once a child has it read to them, they should be able to read it to themselves, even if they don’t know their ABCs.

The story is told almost 100% through the pictures; the only words used are onomatopoeic ones. I love the artwork and how it manages to convey the story so well.

The story is fun and very funny too, especially when the sled is full, when the porcupine joins the other riders, and when the bear and then the child find the sled.

In the author bi...more
Richie Partington
Richie's Picks: RED SLED by Lita Judge, Atheneum, November 2011, 36p., ISBN: 978-1-4424-2007-6

I learned a new word today: "Gadung."

Listen to the sound as you speak it aloud, like this: Ga-DUNG.

Now say it four times in a row: Ga-DUNG. Ga-DUNG, Ga-DUNG, Ga-DUNG.

Come on! Do it again.
Ga-DUNG. Ga-DUNG, Ga-DUNG, Ga-DUNG.

I can just feel the gentle jarring in my bottom and up my rickety old back as I read aloud the two-page spread in RED SLED that says "Gadung Gadung Gadung Gadung" while we view the moo...more
Heather
Since my first daughter was born two and a half years ago, I've found myself (surprise!) reading a LOT of picture books. I don't even remember the vast majority of them - but every once in a while, you read a book that really stands out. And sometimes, the kid seems to really like it, too. Red Sled is one of those books - one of those books you not only want to own for your own kids, but look forward to reading to the grandkids one day.

Judge's drawings are bright, eye-catching, and dynamic, and...more
Anne Broyles
This book is packed full of joie de vivre. RED SLED is the visual equivalent of a haiku, with perfectly chosen and formed paintings that tell a simple story that will only grow in retellings. I love the facial expressions, both human and animal, that convey so much emotion. The excitement, thrill, pure terror, and sense of accomplishment in a sled ride; the sense of belonging and community in shared experiences; the possibility of MORE than meets the eye. Judge's work is Caldecott material, but...more
Melissa
I've read a million picture books, and I LOVE IT when one can make me laugh out loud.

Lots of open space on these pages, lovely blues for the night time sky, flat-out awesome expressions on the animals' faces, super noises, solid composition on the page, just the right amount of variation and repetition, and a good ending.

Love the next-to-last page with the red sled leaning in one direction and the point of the girls' cap leaning in the other.
Paul  Hankins
When a red sled is left outside, leaning against the house, it provides a wintry invitation for the animals to go on the ride of their lives. Delightful illustrations, RED SLED is a mentor text for onomatopoeia for its delightful depictions of walking across snow and coming to an abrupt landing at the bottom of a hill. Maddie (9) my own One Book Four Hands go-to gal, laughed out loud at this one.
Dolly
Dec 11, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens
With no true narrative, colorful, moonlit illustrations and lots and lots of onomatopoeia, this is a great book for parents and children to "read" together. Our girls helped to narrate the tale in their own words and we all took turns making the fun sounds - "Scrinch scrunch" and "Gadung" were our favorites to say over and over again. This is a humorous tale and we enjoyed reading it together.
Alyson
Pure fun! You can not read this without smiling. I love that the text is completely sound effects, it makes the book function as a wordless book and a story. Great looking animals without being to cute. I can picture these animals hanging out with the woodland creatures from Waiting for Winter.
Colby Sharp
Super book to use to teach using sound effects in writing.
Ardea Smith
Title / Author / Publication Date: Red Sled/Lita Judge/2011

Genre: Picturebook, Fiction

Format: Hardcover

Plot summary: This book is beyond cute! A smashup of the artwork design from The Snowy Day and the animals galore that comes from Jan Brett's books, Red Sled is a great, almost wordless picturebook about the adventures of a sled on a winters day. Click on the link to see a shortened animated version of the book created by the author: http://wpblog.litajudge.com/2012/01/0...

Considerations or pre...more
Tasha
This almost wordless book sparkles with the joy of sledding. A little child leaves their sled leaning up outside their house. When night falls, a bear walks by and spots the red sled. With a “scrunch scrinch scrunch scrinch” he walks away with the sled under his arm. Then he and a rabbit ride the sled down the hill, hooting with glee. They head down the hill in different positions and then are by a moose, and eventually raccoons, an opossum, a porcupine and a mouse. When morning light starts to...more
Denise
This nearly wordless book involves a young child, a red sled and some animals who discover just how much fun sledding can be! A bear finds the sled propped up against a cabin, just where the child left it. The bear soon finds himself gathering speed and company as he careens down a hill. The sled is returned to the cabin wall, but the child notices the bear's footprints and quickly puts two and two together. Soon child and animals alike are sledding together! The author uses "scrunch, scrinch" f...more
Melissa Stewart
Red Sled may be almost wordless, but it's full of heart and soul. This is a new kind of book for Judge, who is well known for her picture book biographies and nonfiction science. And it seems to be the book she was born to create. The joyous exuberance of the animals is impossible to deny as they whiz through a winter wonderland on a borrowed red sled. Perfect for sharing with your favorite child and a steaming cup of cocoa, this book is bound to become a classic.
Tatiana
A wonderful winter tale! A little boy's red sled is used by a band of forest animals for a late-night adventure in the snowy woods. I love the illustrations and the whimsy.

This would facilitate so many lessons for K-3 grade. Because of the sparse words, it lends itself to a writing activity for the students to fill in dialogue, etc. It is also perfect for teaching onomatopoeia.
Lorna
My new favorite snow book, it's so simple with minimal text just fun sound effects and beautiful art. A bear borrows a sled and all of his forest friends join in the fun. Such a sweet and wonderful picturebook, Lita Judge does a great job translating the joy of a good sled ride.
Kathryn
What happens when a little girl leaves her red sled outside her cabin one night and some curious creatures find it? A very fun adventure, and a great picture book, that's what! :->

This book is sooo cute! I just loved it. Great fun, and wonderful onomatopoeia.
Samantha
Mostly wordless picture book about good times had with a borrowed red sled. All the words are sledding sounds and makes you feel like you're along for the ride. Cute animals and funny idea!
Adorable!!! This would be such a fun book to share with preschoolers and primary grade students, especially if you could encourage them to make the noises with you.
Katie Fitzgerald
What I like so much about this book is how the silence reflects what nature sounds like at night. Even when the animals are noisily riding the sled, there is an air of calm surrounding every page, which is emphasized by the contrast between the deep blue of the sky and silvery white of the snow-covered hills. The animals are very expressive, showing their curiosity, fear, and excitement about the sled, and though the scenery doesn't change much from page to page, the action within that scenery d...more
Barbara
Filled with carefully-chosen words--a good thing since there are so few of them, but oh, how perfectly those words mimic the sounds of crunching through the snow ["scrinch scrunch scrinch scrunch scrinch scrunch" (unpaged)]--this delightful picture book follows the adventures of several animals who take a red sled for a night ride after it's been left outside. The pencil and watercolor illustrations show the tracks of the animals and their glee as they slide down a snowy hill. The font size chan...more
Alex Sandiland
Red Sled is a book full of detailed pictures and not a lot of words. One night a curious bear finds a red sled sitting across a log cabin. He decides to borrow the sled. He shows his first friend, the rabbit, and they decide to go flying down the hill on the red sled. His moose friend then decides to join, and they all squeeze on the red sled and zoom down the hill. Other animals decide to join the fun like; two racoons, a pokey porcupine, and a baby mouse, they race down the hill, all animals s...more
Theresa
Red Sled by Lita Judge is the story of an incredible night in the winter woods. One night a bear finds a red sled and decides to go on an adventure! Making many new friends along the way, the bear sleds throughout the night. While a simple concept, the magic in the story is in how it is told: through onomatopoeia only.

Although the reading level of this story is lower, it could be used in upper grades as well as an introduction to onomatopoeias. The pictures are detailed and add depth to the sto...more
Sarah Prekopa
I picked up this book because of the adorable character on the front cover. With the wonderful illustrations and the simple additions of text, this picture book showcases a wonderful story of a red sled. The red sled is treasured by the little boy we see on the front cover, along with the animals who live in the woods around the boy's house. When he realizes that all the forest animals have been riding his sled, instead of being frightened he joins in on the fun!

A beautiful story of good, old fu...more
Christy
What an interesting way to tell a story! A bear is curious about the red sled he finds propped alongside a house one night. He decides to borrow it and finds himself going for a fun-filled joy ride with several of his forest friends. Even though this book is considered almost wordless, the story is told brilliantly by the beautiful watercolor illustrations and minimal text of using sound effect words. For example: scrinch, scrunch as the child walks home in the quiet snow and hrmmm? when the bea...more
Whitney
This book only has noises written to read aloud. I enjoyed making up the story (in addition to the noises) and Cassie loved to have this one read over and over again. Very cute. The bigger I made the noises, the more she enjoyed it.
Jess Michaelangelo
For an essentially wordless picture book, I enjoyed this endlessly. There were so many things that I loved about this. It was so imaginative and such fun. The illustrations are beautiful, and they are enough to send any child into giggles. I also loved the fact that you can't tell whether the child is, in fact, a girl or a boy...hello relatability! That more than anything else, I think, is so important in children's books. It was fun, too, that the only words throughout the pages were onomatopoe...more
deborah
Hurrah! A book about winter that we want to read again and again! This is a perfect book. The watercolour illustrations of friendly northern animals do most of the storytelling; the words are pure onomatopoeia and pure fun -- perfect for a young person learning to read.
Karen Arendt
A boy leaves his red sled outside the house at the end of the day. A bear comes along and borrows it. Additional animals jump on as the bear goes along. After the animals have their fun, the bear returns the sled. The boy notices the animal tracks, and wonders...and waits.... then joins the bear and his friends. What makes this story so appealing is the few choice words used in the story that convey the sounds of walking in the snow, and screaming as the animals go down the hill. The illustratio...more
Amber
A young child returns home after sledding and leaves a red sled outside leaning against the house. Then a curious bear happens by the house and borrows the sled to joy ride with some animal friends.

Red Sled is a cute picture book with beautiful illustrations and very few words. The words represented sounds, like "scrinch scrunch" for the sound of feet on snow. As a result, the full page color illustrations told the story.

Recommended for very young children who may not be able to read yet, but wh...more
Jill
Our 16 month old got this book for Christmas from her Uncle and she loves it!! Right now it is hard to get her to sit through one entire book and it keeps her attention with laughs and giggles ALL THE WAY through. She loves the sounds of sledding and walking in the snow and tries to mimic the sounds I read to her. This is a big deal as she can only say a handful of words, encouraging her to expand her language. I just wish I had this in board book format so she could easily turn the pages.

It's s...more
  • Shadow
  • Otto the Book Bear
  • Big Snow
  • Perfect Square
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Moo!
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
Flight School Red Hat One Thousand Tracings: Healing the Wounds of World War II Bird Talk: What Birds Are Saying and Why How Big Were Dinosaurs?