Hidden by Blood (Sweetblood, #1.5)

Hidden by Blood (Sweetblood #1.5)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  417 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Deep within the forests of the Pacific Northwest, two vampire coalitions battle for supremacy--Guardians who safeguard humanity and Darkbloods, rogues who will stop at nothing to satisfy their craving for the sweetest of human blood.Now, former Army Ranger Finn McKentry finds himself imprisoned as a blood slave, forced to submit to an enemy more powerful than any he's enco...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Harlequin Books (first published January 1st 2011)

Snow Falling on Cedars by David GutersonSometimes a Great Notion by Ken KeseyThe Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieThe Brothers K by David James DuncanHotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
Pacific Northwest Books
111th out of 462 books — 261 voters
Dark Lover by J.R. WardLover Unbound by J.R. WardLover Avenged by J.R. WardLover Awakened by J.R. WardLover Eternal by J.R. Ward
Best Vampire Book Series
205th out of 207 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

Laura the Highland Hussy
This is a free download right now!!!

Hidden by Blood is a novella set right in between Bonded by Blood and Embraced by Blood.

With short stories it can be hard as a reader to find the love story believable and one of the things I liked best about Hidden by Blood is that it featured a couple who had split up. With them having a history, it not only made the relationship more believable, it gave a depth to the feelings.

Brenna had broken up with Finn because s...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Finn is a Sweetblood... a human whose blood is intoxicating to vampires. He has been kidnapped and is being used as a blood slave, when his ex-girlfriend Brenna accidentally finds him, hidden in an old hunting cabin. Finn never knew it, but Brenna is a vampire and the entire reason she broke up with him is because she feared that she would one day hurt him. Now that he knows the truth, Finn is determined to make a future with her, despite the risk.

I can't say I loved this one. First of all, what...more
Laura the Highland Hussy
This is a free download right now!!! go to eharlequin or barnes and noble

Brenna had broken up with Finn because she w...more
♥ Sarah ♥
This is a short story in the Sweetblood series about Brenna, who's a vampire, and Finn, who's a sweetblood. Although Finn and Brenna used to date, he's never known she was a vampire. But now he's being sucked into her world completely when he's capture for his blood.

I actually really liked this. I was surprised because I thought Bonded by Blood was just okay. But, it's been awhile since I've read that one.

I loved both Brenna and Finn, but especially Finn. He's sexy and strong and such a smartas...more
Donna (BLHmistress)
One thing about novella's I don't like is they are so short and the greedy person I am wants to know more about the characters than in just 50 or so pages. Like I said in my previous review of Laurie's debut book, Bonded by Blood I really enjoy her style of writing as well I hopelessly fell in love with the characters.

And Finn and Brenna was no exception though it was explained why they broke up wish we could have divulged more into their past. That being said Laurie did well in incorporating a...more
Crystal ♥ RBtWBC
3.5 Stars
This was a fun little jaunt into the Sweetblood world. I enjoyed seeing some familiar characters and Laurie London is always smooth and vivid in her writing. Being only 50 some pages I wasn't able to connect with the main characters as much as I would of liked, though their relationship was heartfelt and made believable with them already having history together. I liked this novella quite a bit and hope to see more of this couple in future Sweetblood novels!
Esra
ara kitap için oldukça güzeldi. beklendiği gibi yüzeyseldi ama don ve lily'ninde katılımıyla sonu özellikle eğlenceliydi :=) seriin sevenlerinin okumasını tavsiye ederim.
Lady Raven RAVE!
This wasn't a bad read, the book had potential but with more tweaks to the story it would have been a very good book. Even though it's a novella you still got what the story was about, but when I started reading, it grabbed my attention half way through the second chapter, after that it got my attention a bit and stayed till the end.

Finn was captured by a vampire and held captive, he was then rescued by Brenna who dated Finn a while back and who Finn didn't know was a vampire while they were da...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

What’s better than a free read? A free read that happens to be part of a series I called ‘supernatural sex on a stick.’ For a limited time, courtesy of publisher Harlequin, that’s exactly what you get from Laurie London’s Sweetblood novella HIDDEN BY BLOOD.

The basic premise of this series is that a fraction of the population has an irresistibly addictive blood type that vampires crave. One such sweetblood, Finn is captured and then rescued by his ex Bre...more
KyBunnies
Alyssa :::Riverina Romantics:::
Posted At: N/A
Rating: 3 out of 5 *
Romance Rating: 3 out of 5 <3

I really liked Finn. He was a strong character without being overly superior had a personality to match. He found himself in a rather unbelievable situation, but rather than freak out over it, he fell back on his military training to survive— if you could call being a blood slave surviving. But when Brenda randomly shows up and sees his life, a determination he never shown before comes to the forefront. He would never let someone...more
Megan Riverina Romantics/Meggerfly
2012 reread 3/5 hotness rating

Brenna Stewart and Finn McKentry had been together for a while. As the relationship between them grew and Brenna realized she was falling for him, she knew that she needed to break it off. He was a Sweetblood and she knew that she probably couldn't trust herself around him forever. She had almost slipped already and she didn't want to put herself in a position to hurt Finn ever again. After she broke things off with him she thought that she had seen the last of him....more
Chelsea [Vampire Book Club]
This review was originally published on Vampire Book Club.

Hidden by Blood gives you a quick taste (har har) of the Sweetblood series. In the world crafted by Laurie London, some humans have blood vampires find remarkably irresistible. As you may have guessed, these people are called sweetbloods. There’s a faction of vampires who corral these types using them as blood slaves, and another faction out to protect humanity and, in general, stop those jerks.

That’s the world we step into with Hidden by...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under The Covers

Short and sweet. You HAVE to read this short story before moving on to book 2, even though is kind of unrelated, as it is the story of Finn and Brenna, Lily is Brenna's friend and this book gives you an idea of Lily's mental state prior to Embraced by Blood.

Now that being said... Brenna is a vampire. She has just received a scholarship to further her studies, only to realize that "someone" in her benefactors camp had kidnapped a very special person to he...more
Kait
Rating - 4 Stars
I really enjoyed Hidden by Blood. It was fun to read and kept the same spirit for the first full book in the Sweetblood series. I look forward to reading the second sometime soon!

What I'd Want to Know Before Reading
-Big spoilers for the first book in the series are mentioned in this one since Lily is Brenna's best friend and is present in this story
-I think Bonded By Blood should definitely be read before Hidden By Blood not only for the reason mention above but also because ther...more
Kathy
Jeanne
For a short story, this was pretty decent. In fact, I give it a better rating (3 1/2 stars) and liked it better than the first book (just barely 3 stars) of the series. In this short, we get strong characters with a history that is clearly explained and a situation that makes for a tense and quick moving plot line. We meet two new characters (they were not in the first book) and these two do meet up and interact with the characters we saw in book one so the tie in was nice as well. Oddly enough,...more
Heather Wiese
Finn, a human, has been taken prisoner by a vampire; chained in a shack he is having his blood siphoned off every couple of days. Finn is a "sweetblood," a human whose blood is highly addictive to vampires. Mmm...a walking DQ...

Brenna, Finn's ex-girlfriend (and a vampire, unbeknown to him) is out at an estate receiving a scholarship for med school when she takes a breather outside and stumbles upon the shack where Finn is being held. Shocked (because blood slaves are highly illegal now), she hel...more
Pat (ireadthatbook.com)
I was most definitely pleasantly surprised.

This free short was my introduction to the Sweetblood series. I will be getting the other books of the series as quickly as possible. Brenna takes a walk to break from the inane party chatter at an awards ceremony and finds that her past has caught up with her in the form of Finn McKentry. Finn is a kidnap victim and worse is being held as a blood-slave. Definitely not legal in this vampire world.

I can't think of anything that I didn't like about this...more
Rjsmommy
The follow up novella to the first SweetBlood novel was not as interesting as the first. Typically, I think of novellas as seperate but they should add information to the series or expand on a character's development. Now I know Lily's book is next but it was already established at the end of the first book that she and Alonso weren't seeing each other anymore based on his refusal and she was heartbroken so I don't think the novella was necessary to restate that. While I liked Finn and Brenna I...more
Lila Leigh Hunter
What it is about: ”Former Army Ranger Finn McKentry finds himself imprisoned as a blood slave, forced to submit to an enemy more powerful than any he's encountered before. Only Brenna Stewart, the woman he'd loved and lost, can set him free--but the secret she harbors might lead them down the most dangerous path of all.”

My thoughts: The book was interesting and steamy. It takes from several vampires known factors and added some new facts. This novella is part of a series and gives you an idea of...more
Kelly
I quick little novella that dropped us back into the Sweetblood world- complete with blood slaves and unrequited love. Or formerly unrequited love. Or "Brenna left Finn because she was afraid she'd hurt him in the throes of passion" love. Yeah, that sums it up nicely.

I liked seeing the characters from book 1 again (Dominic's such the sexy beast!) and getting back into their heads. A nice follow-up and a fun way to get reaquainted with the Guardians and the Sweetbloods they protect.

-Kelly @ Readi...more
Ann
Oct 24, 2011 Ann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: pnr
Still liking this series in a big way. While not a fan of most novella's this one is a keeper. The story kept my interest and moved so fast - WHAM, it was over and I was left wanting more. Great author. Brenna and Finn's story, while short was still good, jumping in quick with the action and had them rekindling a prior relationship. Nice to have something to tide me over and that ties in with the next bk Embraced by Blood. Loved Irish Finn. Even though he's human he's still alpha enough to stand...more
Judy Hubbard
I downloaded this for free—and you can never go wrong with free!

I found this to be a very good short read. I read it in less than an hour. It was interesting introduction into the vampire world. A lot was explained about vampire history/culture and it wasn’t cumbersome to follow. The story is sexy and made me wish Bren and Finn’s story was longer; because of the length, it felt a bit rushed—especially the end. I look forward to reading more books from Laurie London. I definitely will read Lily’...more
Judy
Just a short 57 page story. It seems there are some other full books about the Sweetbloods, humans with a sweet blood that is addictive to vampires.

Finn is held prisoner by a vampire who takes takes his blood through his arm and into viles.
Brenna use to date Finn until one night she almost bites him and she broke up with him.

She finds him in the cabin chained up and rescues him and he refuses to let her go this time, even after he finds out the truth that she is also a vampire.
Ashley
Even though this is a Novella, Laurie got everything packed in here. At only 57 pages, I didn't feel rushed. I thought it went at a even pace.

I thought this was a good addition to the Sweetblood Series. You get to see a little further into the lives of other vampires in the community and how they struggle to stay away from the Sweet, even though it may be tempting.

This was a very good short story. I think anyone who likes the Sweetblood Series will like this novella.

Ellie
I grabbed this novella as a free kindle download after seeing a tweet about it.

Despite the terrible cover (it's really bad!) I really enjoyed the story. The world building was quickly established without an info dump and I liked the relationship between the two main characters.

I will definitely be checking out more books by this author!
Alyssa (Hesperia Loves Books)
Really short & sweet story that, for me, helped solidify this series as a fav new read. Not only did we get to learn about Brenna & Finn, who were so cute together, but we also get a glimpse of Lily, whom I loved in the first book. Dom also makes an appearance towards the end. This is a definite must read for the series!
Jessica
I don't know if short stories are for me... I don't get attached or relate to the characters as much. I found this to be entertaining for as long as it lasted, but it was mildly predictable and blends in as another vampire short story. Not a book I would rant and rave about, but entertaining as a short story.
AH
Short story - Free download

A nice enjoyable distraction on a rainy afternoon.

Finn is an interesting character. Handsome, hunky, ex-military. Loved how he absolutely adored Brenna.

The vampire lore in this series is also intriguing.

I think I'll be looking at other books in this series.
Great Series 1 3 Jan 17, 2013 07:48AM
  • Hunter's Choice (The Hunters)
  • Victoria Gardella: Vampire Slayer (Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #1.5)
  • Blindsight (Mirus, #1.3)
  • Blood in the Marsh
  • Saying Goodbye to the Sun
  • Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story
  • Zane's Tale (Succubus Diaries, #2.5)
  • Unlucky In Death
  • Reunion (Vampires Realm, #3.5)
  • The Bite Before Christmas
  • Out of the Box (On the Edge)
  • Carinian's Seeker (Vampire Council of Ethics, #1)
  • Spirit Lifter (Phantom Lovers #4)
  • Seduced by the Wolf (Heart of the Wolf, #5)
  • Kiss at Your Own Risk (Soulfire, #1)
  • Just One Taste (The V V Inn, #0.5)
  • Gabriel's Mate (Scanguards Vampires, #3)
  • Reaper's Justice (WesternWind #7.5)
Thanks for finding me on Goodreads! I love making new friends and seeing what you're reading, so be sure to friend me. If I weren't writing so much, I think I'd live here!

Okay, a little about me. I'm a USA Today bestselling author of paranormal romance: the Sweetblood series (vampires) and the Iron Portal series (portals + people with special abilities). I live in the Seattle area with my family a...more
More about Laurie London...
Bonded by Blood (Sweetblood, #1) Embraced by Blood (Sweetblood, #2) Tempted by Blood (Sweetblood, #3) A Vampire for Christmas (Includes: Sweetblood, #2.5) Seduced by Blood (Sweetblood, #4)