Start by marking “General A.P. Hill: The Story of a Confederate Warrior” as Want to Read:
General A.P. Hill: The Story of a Confederate Warrior

General A.P. Hill: The Story of a Confederate Warrior

A Confederate general who ranks with Lee, Jeb Stuart, and Stonewall Jackson but whose achievements have been unfairly neglected until now, finally receives his due in this invaluable biography by a noted historian of the Civil War. Drawing extensively on newly unearthed documents, this work provides a gripping battle-by-battle assessment of Hill's role in Antietam, Frederi ...more
Published July 28th 1992 by Vintage (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about General A.P. Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about General A.P. Hill

Avis Black
Feb 26, 2008 Avis Black rated it it was amazing
Hill is a strangely modern and tragic character. As a lieutenant in the U.S army he was stationed in Florida during various conflicts with the Seminoles, yet in contrast to the usual racism of the time he was sympathetic to the Indians, noting that all they wanted was to be left alone. Possibly as a result of the stress of his duties he took to drink, though he later regained more moderate habits after he was transferred to other theaters. Sent in at the tail end of the Mexican War, he called th ...more
Rachel Brummet
Apr 13, 2014 Rachel Brummet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
Initially, I did not think that I would like Ambrose Powell Hill, chiefly because I adore Stonewall Jackson and was not pleased with how Hill had acted toward Jackson. However, after reading this, I really came to know and understand Hill! He was a sensitive man, a loving husband and father, and a great division commander--far better than he was a corps commander. He was just better at leading his men when he could be a part of the action.

My heart goes out to this poor guy. He died an unfortuna
Drew
Apr 08, 2014 Drew rated it liked it
Robertson definitely sells Hill as one of the bravest Confederate commanders in the Civil War, but falls short in attempting to prove Hill as among the most brilliant generals. The author begins describing Hill's impressive early war accomplishments and then shows Hill's very mediocre mid-war performance, particularly after promotion to Corps command, at which he never excelled. I was also struck by Robertson's need to carry on the Confederate tradition of bad-mouthing every other general of sim ...more
Shellys♥ Journal
May 07, 2016 Shellys♥ Journal rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, civil-war, 2016
A.P. Hill is most remembered as one who never quite made the adjustment from Division commander to Corp commander in Lee's ANV, yet Robertson's book tells us a difference side of Hill. Although over his head, perhaps, at Gettysburg, Hill was a soldier's commander and truly gave his all - particularly during the seige at Petersburg. While we tend to see these men for their faults, Hill is indeed more that the most popular stories told about him. In fact, he may prefer calico over RED.

This is a fa
Monte Lamb
Apr 16, 2011 Monte Lamb rated it liked it
Shelves: us-civil-war
Lots of good information about this very important yet little known general in The Army of Norhtern Virginia. I learned a lot about how many ther officiers in the army had difficulties with Stonewall Jackson including Hill. I don't know if the author made his point that Hill was the best division commander in the army but never reached the same level at corps command. Even with this, it was a really good book and I learned a lot reading it.
Dad
Jun 18, 2007 Dad rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: steve.long@ipaper.com
This was the first book I read that really ignited my interest in the Civil War and the period that made our nation what it is today. I read Catton's series published in the 60's many years ago, but this one pushed me into the reading that I continue with today.
Joseph
Jul 10, 2012 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: civil-war
Overlooked by many, General A.P. Hill fought in almost every major battle in the east. Great research,never before published letters and memoirs from men who served under him. A.P Hill finally takes his place along side Lee, Jackson and Stuart.
Robert
Oct 17, 2009 Robert added it
very sad ending to a enigmatic general
Pat DeDominicis
Pat DeDominicis rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Eugene Oliver
Eugene Oliver rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Roger
Roger rated it really liked it
May 11, 2013
Marc Mansfield
Marc Mansfield rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Tammy
Tammy rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2013
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2012
Deborah
Deborah rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2008
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2014
Jerome
Jerome rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Ernest
Ernest rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2015
Carl Bailey
Carl Bailey rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2014
Tony
Tony rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2009
Nichole Enos
Nichole Enos rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2013
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2012
Tom Sharp
Tom Sharp rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2013
Markham Pyle
Markham Pyle rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2012
Sheila Myers
Sheila Myers rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Bob
Bob rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Clayton Brannon
Clayton Brannon rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2012
Lou Soskin
Lou Soskin rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Bill S.
Bill S. rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
James I. Robertson Jr. is an Alumni Distinguished Professor of History at Virginia Tech. He published the definitive adult biography of Stonewall Jackson, Stonewall Jackson: The Man, the Soldier, the Legend, and also wrote Standing Like a Stone Wall for young adults. He lives in Blacksburg, Virginia.
More about James I. Robertson Jr....