Random House Treasury of Best-Loved Poems

Random House Treasury of Best-Loved Poems

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Favorite poems celebrating the finest things in life--love, faith, family, country, and the beauty of nature
- Features more than 100 poets, including William Blake, Lewis Carroll, John Keats, Carl Sandburg, Walt Whitman, and other familiar greats
- Newly updated. Now includes contemporary voices such as Seamus Heaney, Anne Carson, Czeslaw Miloscz, Rainer Maria Rilke, and R...more
Published July 12th 2005 by Random House Reference Publishing (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Random House Treasury of Best-Loved Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Random House Treasury of Best-Loved Poems

I love poetry. I love little skinny books of poetry. But even more, I love big fat books of poetry.

This one wasn’t as fat as it could’ve been. But at 340 pages, it was still nice sized. You may have noticed from the title, that this is a ‘large print edition’ – when purchasing the book, I told myself I would enjoy it “despite” the large print. Having read, I can now say that part of the reason I enjoyed it so much was *because of* the large print.

*cough*

I think it was because it made me feel lik...more
Tasia
I think it's a good collection for those just entering the world of poetry (as in very young people), but not for someone looking for a serious, diverse collection. One of my biggest criticisms is that there were some oddly-placed entries. The one that sticks out the most is "On Being Brought from Africa to America" by Phyllis Wheatley being placed in the Country Life/City Life section. The poem is Wheatley's way of addressing her history as a slave and salvation through Christianity. How is thi...more
Eva Shang
Okay, so I obviously haven't read and analyzed every poem in here, but they have some good ones that I wouldn't have found otherwise, such as "Peace" by Yeats, "Ashes of Life" by Millay, "Waiting" by Raymond Carver, and especially "What Work is" by Phillip Levine, which I completely fell in love with. So overall, great anthology.
Sarom
This was given as a gift from my sister Saroum. I love poetry and I have read this book several times over and over. It also inspires me to write poetry as well.
Julia
My mother gave me this book when I was a kid and it's one of my most treasured books. This book really introduced me to poetry.
Delores
Delores marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Chelle
Chelle marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Greg Denyes
Greg Denyes marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Jamesoki
Jamesoki marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Ll
Ll added it
Apr 22, 2014
Sara Griffin
Sara Griffin marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Stephanie Orman
Stephanie Orman marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Max
Max added it
Mar 23, 2014
Jandickerson
Jandickerson marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Angie
Angie added it
Jan 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Man Who Stole the Atlantic Ocean 263 Brain Busters: Just How Smart are You, Anyway? Alligator Wrestling and You: An Impractical Guide to an Impossible Sport (An Avon Camelot Book) Random House Treasury of Humorous Verse Ask Me Anything about the Presidents