Start by marking “Random House Treasury of Best-Loved Poems” as Want to Read:
Random House Treasury of Best-Loved Poems

Random House Treasury of Best-Loved Poems

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  92 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Favorite poems celebrating the finest things in life--love, faith, family, country, and the beauty of nature
- Features more than 100 poets, including William Blake, Lewis Carroll, John Keats, Carl Sandburg, Walt Whitman, and other familiar greats
- Newly updated. Now includes contemporary voices such as Seamus Heaney, Anne Carson, Czeslaw Miloscz, Rainer Maria Rilke, and R
Published July 12th 2005 by Random House Reference Publishing (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Random House Treasury of Best-Loved Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Random House Treasury of Best-Loved Poems

Laura Verret
I love poetry. I love little skinny books of poetry. But even more, I love big fat books of poetry.

This one wasn’t as fat as it could’ve been. But at 340 pages, it was still nice sized. You may have noticed from the title, that this is a ‘large print edition’ – when purchasing the book, I told myself I would enjoy it “despite” the large print. Having read, I can now say that part of the reason I enjoyed it so much was *because of* the large print.

*cough*

I think it was because it made me feel lik
Autumn
May 13, 2015 Autumn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't like to shop but for my sixteenth birthday, twenty two plus years ago, I asked for a shopping spree at the music & bookstore. I purchased this book and it's one of my favorites to this day. I read a few of the other reviews and I agree with most everything written. This is an excellent collection of poetry to grow up with and I cherish many of the poems in my heart. This is a biased review as I am so sentimentally attached to this book.
Tasia
Apr 21, 2013 Tasia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I think it's a good collection for those just entering the world of poetry (as in very young people), but not for someone looking for a serious, diverse collection. One of my biggest criticisms is that there were some oddly-placed entries. The one that sticks out the most is "On Being Brought from Africa to America" by Phyllis Wheatley being placed in the Country Life/City Life section. The poem is Wheatley's way of addressing her history as a slave and salvation through Christianity. How is thi ...more
Susan
Aug 13, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lovely read! There were a lot of poems I recognized and a ton that were new. It's a super introduction to famous poems.
Eva Shang
Apr 01, 2012 Eva Shang rated it really liked it
Okay, so I obviously haven't read and analyzed every poem in here, but they have some good ones that I wouldn't have found otherwise, such as "Peace" by Yeats, "Ashes of Life" by Millay, "Waiting" by Raymond Carver, and especially "What Work is" by Phillip Levine, which I completely fell in love with. So overall, great anthology.
Sarom
Sep 28, 2008 Sarom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was given as a gift from my sister Saroum. I love poetry and I have read this book several times over and over. It also inspires me to write poetry as well.
Julia
Jun 04, 2009 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
My mother gave me this book when I was a kid and it's one of my most treasured books. This book really introduced me to poetry.
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
GraceH
GraceH added it
Oct 29, 2015
Trinity
Trinity marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Kailey
Kailey added it
Sep 06, 2015
Sophieeeeeeee
Sophieeeeeeee marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Nadia Henderson
Nadia Henderson marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
L. Monjaras-Pierson
L. Monjaras-Pierson rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Jamey Owens
Jamey Owens marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Maren
Maren marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Tanzly
Tanzly rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Laura rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2015
Zanib  Sajjad
Zanib Sajjad rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2015
Rebecca Wood
Rebecca Wood rated it it was ok
Jun 05, 2015
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
Diana Lindahl
Diana Lindahl rated it liked it
May 05, 2015