Start by marking “Random House Treasury of Best-Loved Poems” as Want to Read:
Random House Treasury of Best-Loved Poems

Random House Treasury of Best-Loved Poems

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Favorite poems celebrating the finest things in life--love, faith, family, country, and the beauty of nature
- Features more than 100 poets, including William Blake, Lewis Carroll, John Keats, Carl Sandburg, Walt Whitman, and other familiar greats
- Newly updated. Now includes contemporary voices such as Seamus Heaney, Anne Carson, Czeslaw Miloscz, Rainer Maria Rilke, and R
Published July 12th 2005 by Random House Reference Publishing (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Random House Treasury of Best-Loved Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Random House Treasury of Best-Loved Poems

Laura Verret
I love poetry. I love little skinny books of poetry. But even more, I love big fat books of poetry.

This one wasn’t as fat as it could’ve been. But at 340 pages, it was still nice sized. You may have noticed from the title, that this is a ‘large print edition’ – when purchasing the book, I told myself I would enjoy it “despite” the large print. Having read, I can now say that part of the reason I enjoyed it so much was *because of* the large print.

*cough*

I think it was because it made me feel lik
Autumn
I don't like to shop but for my sixteenth birthday, twenty two plus years ago, I asked for a shopping spree at the music & bookstore. I purchased this book and it's one of my favorites to this day. I read a few of the other reviews and I agree with most everything written. This is an excellent collection of poetry to grow up with and I cherish many of the poems in my heart. This is a biased review as I am so sentimentally attached to this book.
Tasia
I think it's a good collection for those just entering the world of poetry (as in very young people), but not for someone looking for a serious, diverse collection. One of my biggest criticisms is that there were some oddly-placed entries. The one that sticks out the most is "On Being Brought from Africa to America" by Phyllis Wheatley being placed in the Country Life/City Life section. The poem is Wheatley's way of addressing her history as a slave and salvation through Christianity. How is thi ...more
Susan Jones
This was a lovely read! There were a lot of poems I recognized and a ton that were new. It's a super introduction to famous poems.
Eva Shang
Okay, so I obviously haven't read and analyzed every poem in here, but they have some good ones that I wouldn't have found otherwise, such as "Peace" by Yeats, "Ashes of Life" by Millay, "Waiting" by Raymond Carver, and especially "What Work is" by Phillip Levine, which I completely fell in love with. So overall, great anthology.
Sarom
This was given as a gift from my sister Saroum. I love poetry and I have read this book several times over and over. It also inspires me to write poetry as well.
Julia
My mother gave me this book when I was a kid and it's one of my most treasured books. This book really introduced me to poetry.
Nadia Henderson
Nadia Henderson marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Jamey Owens
Jamey Owens marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Maren
Maren marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Ellen
Ellen added it
May 03, 2015
Neisha
Neisha marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Aubrey
Aubrey marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Man Who Stole the Atlantic Ocean 263 Brain Busters: Just How Smart are You, Anyway? Alligator Wrestling and You: An Impractical Guide to an Impossible Sport (An Avon Camelot Book) Ask Me Anything about the Presidents Random House Treasury of Humorous Verse